January Admission Explained
We realize you may be unfamiliar with Hamilton’s January Admission program, so this information has been prepared to answer your questions.
- Hamilton welcomes about 35 first-year students each January. Because over 60% of Hamilton students study abroad or away for some or all of their junior year, we typically have space available on campus to offer January admission to qualified students.
- Each year, after filling the spaces reserved for fall admission, we are still eager to admit several dozen more applicants because of their academic potential, strength of character and personal qualities. From this group we offer January admission to those students whose demonstrated independence and intellectual curiosity lead us to believe they will make good use of the fall semester.
- “Jans” have done virtually anything and everything in the fall, from community service and travel to outdoor adventures and full-time work. Many students pursue credit-bearing opportunities at an accredited institution and earn transfer credits so they can graduate after three-and-a-half years at Hamilton. Others have used AP credit and summer coursework to make on-time graduation possible. The majority of students who join the Hamilton community in January graduate with the rest of their class. Information on transfer credit and a list of the programs in which past Jans have participated can be found at www.hamilton.edu/JanAdmitCourses.
- While Jans pursue a wide variety of options, many study in London through the Arcadia Fall in London Freshman Program. Arcadia offers limited financial aid for this program. For more information about this program see http://studyabroad.arcadia.edu/hamilton-in-london.
- We do not allow Jans to appeal for fall admission or move to the fall waiting list.
- For additional information about January admission please visit www.hamilton.edu/JanAdmit or contact James Walsh, Assistant Dean of Admission, by phone at 1-800-843-2655 or e-mail at email@example.com.
We understand that January admission is not for everyone and may not have been the program you would have chosen, but we are pleased to offer you a place at Hamilton and hope that you will choose to join us on College Hill in January. Regardless of your decision, we thank you for your interest in Hamilton and wish you all the best for your college career!