January Admission Explained
We realize you may be unfamiliar with Hamilton’s January Admission program, so this information has been prepared to answer your questions.
- Hamilton offers January admission to several dozen students each year, and seeks to annually enroll 35-40 students in the spring semester.
- The January admission option allows us to extend more offers of admission to strong and talented students while also filling vacancies created by Hamilton students who are studying abroad during the spring semester. Our January class is selected from the regular and early decision applicant pool and will be notified of their admission offer at the same time as students admitted for fall. "Jans" are admitted because of their academic potential and strong personal qualities, as well as a demonstrated independence and intellectual curiosity that lead us to believe that they will make good use of the fall semester.
- Jans have done virtually anything and everything in the fall, from community service and travel to outdoor adventures and full-time work. Many students pursue credit-bearing opportunities at an accredited institution and earn transfer credits so they can graduate after three-and-a-half years at Hamilton. Others have used AP credit and summer coursework to make on-time graduation possible. The majority of students who join the Hamilton community in January graduate with the rest of their class. Information on transfer credit and a list of the programs in which past Jans have participated can be found at www.hamilton.edu/JanAdmitCourses.
- While Jans pursue a wide variety of options, many study in London through the Arcadia Fall in London Freshman Program. Arcadia offers limited financial aid for this program. For more information about this program see http://studyabroad.arcadia.edu/hamilton-in-london.
- Because all of our offers of admission have been allocated, we do not allow Jans to request fall admission. Furthermore, because admission from the waitlist is uncertain, we do not encourage Jans to request that option.
- For additional information about January admission please visit www.hamilton.edu/JanAdmit or contact James Walsh, Assistant Dean of Admission, by phone at 1-800-843-2655 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We understand that January admission is not for everyone and may not have been the program you would have chosen, but we are pleased to offer you a place at Hamilton and hope that you will choose to join us on College Hill in January. Regardless of your decision, we thank you for your interest in Hamilton and wish you all the best for your college career!