Courses and Credit

Here is information for Jan admits about what types of courses and study abroad options to consider. 

Where can I take courses whose credit will transfer to Hamilton?

If you plan to enroll in classes for which you want to receive credit toward your Hamilton degree, you should take courses from a regionally accredited college or university.  In general, this means any reputable institution, private or public, that offers B.S. or B.A. degrees (including state and community colleges).  Please note that accreditatiosn does not guarantee that course credit will transfer.  To receive Hamilton credit for courses you take elsewhere, you must receive a grade of "B-" or better in the course.

What kinds of courses should I take?

Because of Hamilton's flexible curriculum, you have considerable freedom in choosing courses before you arrive at Hamilton in January. Take the opportunity to explore new subject areas in the liberal arts, to begin or refine your skills in a foreign language, or to strengthen a current area of academic weakness.

Remember: You are not required to take courses for which you can receive Hamilton credit. If something looks interesting or useful to you, you might consider enrolling in it for your own benefit regardless of credit status.  However, you are responsible for making sure that credits earned at other institutions will transfer to your Hamilton transcript.  It is important to stay in touch with the Registrar's Office regarding your course selection.

Should you choose to take courses during the fall, you must plan to take courses that are similar to courses offered by Hamilton.  Comparing descriptions of the courses you are considering with descriptions of courses in the Hamilton catalogue is one way to do this.  Note that the entire Hamilton catalogue is available online.
Any specific questions regarding class selection and transfer credit should be directed to Anne Riffle (ariffle@hamilton.edu) in the Registrar's Office.     

If I want Hamilton credit for work I do elsewhere, what kind of courses should I avoid taking?

If you want Hamilton credit, you should avoid taking the following kinds of courses:

  • Courses in trade fields such as journalism, accounting, health and human services, criminal justice, and business. Since Hamilton has a liberal arts curriculum, these courses are sometimes difficult or impossible to transfer here.
  • Math courses in sequence prior to Calculus 1 such as pre-calculus or college-level algebra. 
  • Courses that are the first part of a multi-term sequence. There are often such courses at the introductory level in the natural sciences. 
  • Courses taken on a pass/fail basis.
  • Courses taken online.

Study Abroad

What should I look for when selecting a January study abroad option?

You should first make sure the program accepts first-year students. Next, you need to make sure that the program operates on an academic calendar that coincides with Hamilton's calendar. Finally, you will need to ensure that Hamilton readily accepts transfer credits from that institution. Previous Jans have enrolled in Arcadia University Fall in London freshman program, at St. Andrews in Scotland, or occasionally in other study abroad programs such as the School for Field Studies.  Feel free to contact Anne Riffle (ariffle@hamilton.edu) in the Registrar's Office for course and credit transfer information.

Please note that you will need regular internet access throughout the fall to receive important communications from Hamilton and to register for spring classes. If your preferred fall experience will take you away from internet connectivity for long stretches of time, you will need to contact Anne Riffle (ariffle@hamilton.edu) to discuss how it will impact your pre-arrival process.

What is the Arcadia Fall in London Freshman Program and how will my credits transfer?
You can learn more about the Arcadia Fall in London freshman program by referring to http://studyabroad.arcadia.edu/hamilton-in-london.  A detailed listing of what courses are offered and how their credit would apply at Hamilton is available to download.  Specific questions can be referred to Anne Riffle in our Registrar's Office.

Initial leads for Fall opportunities
The Office of Admission conducted some research on fall opportunities for students starting school in January. Below is a list of the resources we found. We hope it will help you begin your own investigation of opportunities that are right for you.

Note: The presence of an organization or service on this list does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by any office or personnel at Hamilton College. This list is simply a resource for your own research. We suggest that you be in touch with James Walsh (jcwalsh@hamilton.edu) before committing to any program.

Academic Programs

Non-Credit Programs

Contact Information

Office of Admission

Siuda House
Campus Road
Clinton, NY 13323
800-843-2655 315-859-4457 admission@hamilton.edu
Back to Top