Throughout the years, bequests have contributed substantially to Hamilton’s success in building its endowment and providing much-needed funds for scholarship aid, faculty support and improved academic facilities and services. Today, testamentary gifts from alumni, parents and other friends help assure Hamilton’s continued strength and standing among the nation’s leading colleges. With grateful appreciation, we acknowledge the following estate plan gifts received from July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014.
Under Will from a trust established by Taylor S. Abernathy, Class of 1914, and his wife Patti, a distribution of $20,000, as an annual income payment, that Hamilton will receive in perpetuity. The funds support the Patti and Taylor Abernathy Scholarship, with preference given to students from the Midwest.
Under Will from a trust established by Wilmer E. Bresee ’31, H’81, of Oneonta, N.Y., an unrestricted distribution of $426,506.97 to be added to the $818,612 previously received, by board resolution, to be used for arts facilities. Following his graduation from Hamilton, Mr. Bresee enrolled in a post-graduate program at the New York University School of Retailing and then joined the business his grandfather began, Bresee’s Department Store in Oneonta. His work was interrupted by service in the U.S. Army from 1943 to 1946 where he learned and taught Chinese; he returned to the department store eventually, serving as president and later chairman.
From the estate of Richard W. Couper ’44 of Clinton, N.Y., a distribution of $60,357.25 to be added to The Patricia Pogue and Richard Watrous Couper Library Fund. Previous distributions total $3,780,928.98. A distinguished educational leader and a charter and life trustee, Mr. Couper was Hamilton’s first administrative vice president and served as acting president from 1966 to 1968. In 1971, he was appointed as the first full-time president and chief executive officer of the New York Public Library; later, he became president of the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation. Following his retirement, Mr. Couper returned to Clinton with his wife, Patsy, where they continued to serve the College in countless and generous ways.
From the estate of Christopher W. Covert ’58 of Scottsdale, Ariz. and Essex, N.Y., a bequest of $1,140.42 for general purposes. Following his graduation from Hamilton, Mr. Covert served in the U.S. Navy, then earned a M.A. from Case Western Reserve University and began a career in education. He served as dean of admissions at Hamilton and later as assistant headmaster at Providence Country Day School before becoming an independent educational consultant helping students find boarding schools and colleges.
From the estate of Muriel Doyle, widow of David Doyle ’39 of Kendall, N.Y., an unrestricted bequest of $101,084.59 added to the $730,000 previously received for quasi endowment and, by board resolution, temporarily restricted for scholarships in Mr. Doyle’s name with preference given to students from Orleans County. After serving in the U.S. Army, Mr. Doyle obtained his master’s degree in educational administration from Columbia University. He retired as the superintendent of Kendall Central Schools, a position he held for 25 years.
Under Will from a trust established by Eleanor F. Green of Schenectady, N.Y., additional unrestricted distributions of $41,078.47 to be added to the $576,631.63 previously received. Mrs. Green’s husband, John G. Green, president of the Daily Gazette Co. and publisher of the Schenectady Gazette until his death in 1964, received an honorary doctorate from Hamilton in 1958. The bequest has been assigned to scholarship purposes.
From the estate of Rosemarie Kainz of Coopersburg, Pa., distributions totaling $100,213.20 from her Individual Retirement Account for the William M. Bristol Travel Fellowship. Ms. Kainz was born a German in the Sudetenland of Czechoslovakia and grew up in the Bavarian alps. In her early twenties, she came to the United States to work for Mr. and Mrs. William M. Bristol ’17 and ultimately made a home for herself in Coopersburg.
From the estate of Lee P. Kreinheder of Clinton, N.Y., a bequest of $52,073.23 for the Root Glen and Grant Garden. A long-standing member of the Friends of Root Glen, Mrs. Kreinheder was a graduate of Boston University and longtime resident of Clinton who lived to the age of 102. Her late husband John H. Kreinheder served as director of planning at Hamilton.
From the estate of Frederick W. McGarity ’49 of Norwich, N.Y., a distribution of $12,715.16 from his Individual Retirement Account and under Will from a trust, a distribution of $11,263.55, both for general purposes. Mr. McGarity served in the U.S. Army and earned a M.A. from the New York State College for Teachers before returning to his hometown where he taught French and Spanish at Norwich High School for many years.
From the estate of Henry B. Nesbitt ‘43 of Palmyra, N.Y., a bequest of $1,000 for general purposes. A lifelong resident of Palmyra, Mr. Nesbitt served two tours in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War. In between, he earned a law degree from Cornell University and established a general practice of law. He later served as an estate tax attorney for New York State while continuing his legal practice and also participated in numerous civic affairs.
From the estate of Josephine R. Pursell of Lee, Mass., sister of William G. Roehrick ’34, an additional bequest of $94,001.06 for the William G. Roehrick Art Purchase and Preservation Fund. A highly regarded theater, film and television actor, Mr. Roehrick was one of the organizers of Hamilton’s former Root Art Center. After the Emerson Gallery was established in 1982, he enthusiastically supported it by contributing many works to its collection and serving as chairman of the College’s Committee on the Visual Arts.
From the estate of Charles J. Standish ’49 of Greene, N.Y., an initial distribution of $1,300,000 for general purposes. Mr. Standish majored in mathematics at Hamilton and was encouraged by Professors Brewster Gere and Boyd Patterson to pursue graduate school. With a M.A. from the Johns Hopkins University, he returned to Hamilton for a year as a math instructor. He then earned a Ph.D. from Cornell University and taught mathematics at Union College for three years before joining IBM where he was a mathematician and long-time senior engineer.
Under Will, from a trust established by Helen and C. Marsden Vanderwaart ‘36 and following the death of Mrs. Vanderwaart of Port Charlotte, Fla., a bequest of $10,000 to be used toward the social ambiance of the Alexander Woolcott Building, the former Theta Delta Chi fraternity house. After graduating from Hamilton, Mr. Vanderwaart earned his Ph.D. in chemistry from Cornell University and went on to a long career as a chemical engineer with American Cyanamid Co. where he made significant patent contributions to the manufacture of sulfa drugs, aniline, melamine and nitro benzene, among others.
Under Will from a trust established by Pauline W. Peternella of San Diego, additional distributions totaling $556.64 to be used for scholarship purposes in honor of Mrs. Peternella’s first husband, Albert Haines Wallace, Class of 1912.
From the estate of Estelle K. Wilhelm of Gillette, N.J., widow of Curtis R. Wilhelm ’40, unrestricted bequests totaling $5,500,000 for building maintenance and construction. These distributions were applied to the building fund for Hamilton’s new arts facilities, where the lobby is named for the Wilhelms. Mrs. Wilhelm was a graduate of Syracuse University and worked as a librarian. When planning her estate and desiring to honor her husband on the campus where they were married, Mrs. Wilhelm made a significant gift toward the renovation of the Kirner-Johnson Building and also made this provision for Hamilton in her Will. Mr. Wilhelm served in the U.S. Army during World War II and subsequently worked as a credit manager for several businesses.
Hamilton makes a number of resources available to you, including the following: