ACC Summer Field Studies Program
Deadline has been extended to March 15th!
Program Dates: June 09 - July 31, 2016
Application Deadline: February 25, 2016
- Applications for summer 2016 are now open
- Fulbright scholarships available for summer 2016
- Admitted students will receive full scholarships that cover tuition, lodging, and international travel up to $1,400.
The ACC Field Studies Program for advanced students of Chinese combines field experiences in rural China with advanced language courses for a 7-week total immersion.
- Three-week field study in different parts of China. Logistical on-site support provided by ACC and local Chinese education agencies & NGOs. Location for FS summer 2016: Beijing, China
- Engage in a comparative study of U.S. and China's contemporary society and educational systems through hands-on projects.
- Focus on education in rural areas.
- Each student develops an educational development presentation & receives faculty support to execute the presentation. When applying to the program, a presentation proposal must be submitted. This proposal details the student's educational experiences and is the basis of their presentation. (Sample proposals: #1, #2, #3) Students are asked to share their own experiences as part of the American education system with rural Chinese teachers from all regions of China and introduce American teaching styles from the student's perspective.
- Each student delivers their presentation at two conferences/workshops for Chinese school teachers
- The Education and Science Society (ESS) is a co-sponsor of the education conferences in China where students give their presentations. ESS is an NGO with over 20 years of experience in promoting quality of education in rural China.
- Teach at two day camps in rural schools: At each 1 week camp, participants will teach 3 different subjects, teaching 4 classes each day.
- Travel to cultural sites & rural schools. If the situation allows, participants will live at a local resident's house and have their meals there.
- Participate in a 1-week post-evaluation session and preparation for outreach activities. Students will reflect, share, and summarize their experiences teaching at the day camps and participating at the education conference; a final evaluation exam will also be held.
Advanced Language Instruction
- Three-week intensive Chinese language courses & culture lectures about China in Beijing.
- Focus on advanced language & culture studies, including: grammar, discourse & lexical development, and conversation & presentation skills.
- Gain a greater understanding of Chinese primary education, spend time revising presentation, and practicing teaching methods.
- Native-speaking faculty with extensive experience teaching foreign students.
- Earn 2 undergraduate units from Hamilton College (typically 8 academic credits)
- Summer Course Descriptions
- Upon returning to the U.S., participants are required to share their field experiences in China with their home community, local public schools and college communities.
- More about Outreach Activities
For questions about the Summmer Field Studies, please contact: email@example.com, phone: 315-859-4519, fax: 315-859-4222