Financial Aid


Office of Financial Aid
315-859-4962 (fax)

Prospective/New Students

Accepting Your Financial AidReceiving Your Financial Aid

How Your Bill is Paid

Half of Hamilton’s comprehensive fee will be directly billed to you at the beginning of each semester.

On your billing statement you will see that your scholarship and grant as well as the loans you accepted will be applied toward the balance of your bill. It is important to note that because of the normal delay in the disbursements of Pell and TAP, if applicable, they will appear on your billing statement as “pending” aid. Loans will appear as “anticipated” aid on your initial billing statement each semester. After the loans and scholarships have been applied, any remaining balance is what you owe the College.

If you have questions about paying the remainder of your bill, or if your billing statement shows you have a credit with Hamilton, you can contact Student Accounts in the Business Office.

Loan Disbursements

If you have a Federal Direct Loan and the disbursements are not appearing on the bill, the reason could be one of the following:

  • You have not accepted your loan by submitting your Direct Loan Request Form;
  • You were selected for federal verification through your My Hamilton Financial Aid Checklist and all required materials have not been received;
  • The Entrance Counseling requirement has not been met;
  • The Master Promissory Note (MPN) has not been signed.

If the parent has a Federal Direct PLUS Loan and the disbursements are not appearing on the bill, the reason could be one of the following:

  • Your student's financial aid award has not yet been finalized;
  • The Master Promissory Note (MPN) has not been signed;
  • We have not received notification that your loan has been approved;
  • You have not completed the Direct PLUS Loan Request Form.

Federal Direct Student Loans and Federal Direct PLUS Loans cannot be disbursed prior to ten days before the start of classes each semester according to federal regulation.

Student Employment Office

Students who have received Federal Work-Study or Campus Employment as part of their financial aid package are expected to find a job on campus. On average, students should plan on working ten hours per week. Questions about student employment at Hamilton can be directed to the Student Employment Office.

Off-Campus Study

Hamilton students may receive need-based financial aid while participating in an approved off-campus study program. The expected family contribution typically remains the same as if a student were on campus at Hamilton. However, the amount of financial aid received is based on the total cost of attendance for the program off-campus and will not exceed the amount of aid received while attending classes on Hamilton’s campus. The excess cost of the program off-campus will be absorbed into your family contribution. Billing for off-campus study will be processed by the Hamilton Financial Aid Office for those students receiving financial assistance and who have completed all necessary paperwork.

Renewing Your Aid

All students receiving financial aid are expected to complete a renewal application by the required deadline if they wish to be considered for financial aid the following year. You should review our Forms and Deadlines webpage for a list of renewal materials and due dates.

All notifications of financial aid eligibility for renewals will be posted on My Hamilton. Award letters will not be mailed home and students are responsible for sharing their status and financial aid eligibility information with their parents. We encourage students to share their My Hamilton access information with their parents to facilitate access to this information.