Support Staff Job Opportunities
Museum Security Guard (Part Time)
Hamilton is one of the nation's top liberal arts colleges. It is independent, highly selective, coeducational and residential. Originally founded in 1793 as the Hamilton-Oneida Academy, Hamilton is today composed of 1,850 diverse and talented students from nearly all of the 50 states and approximately 40 countries. More information can be found at www.hamilton.edu/about.
Reports to the Director of Museum Security and provides security, safety and guest services in public and non-public areas as assigned. This is an on-call position; hours are assigned on an as-needed basis up to a maximum of 15 hours per week. The position pay rate is $13.25 per hour.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for security and protection of museum property, exhibits, classrooms and assets.
- Conduct hourly rounds to ensure visitor safety. While on rounds, checks exhibitions and art storage rooms and reports problems to the Director of Museum Security. Also checks stairwells, fire exits, fire extinguishers and pull boxes and mechanical rooms.
- Responsible for building security, door security, opening and closing of public and non-public areas and building rounds.
- Performs identification checks and clearance of guests entering the museum.
- Ensures safety of all persons on museum property.
- Maintains records reflecting the physical condition of museum property as it applies to safety and security issues.
- Responsible for response to emergency calls and may perform CPR or First Aid in emergency situations.
- Acts as an Evacuation Monitor during emergency situations.
- Escorts approved visitors through non-public areas and may monitor individuals working in art storage rooms.
- Inspects parcels.
- Maintains a daily log and write incident reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must have or be able to obtain CPR and First Aid certification
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a New York State Security Guard License
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Exceptional observation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interact well with museum guests
- Ability to observe and report irregularities
- Ability to take appropriate action in emergency situations
- Ability to disseminate information in a courteous manner
- Knowledge of proper use of emergency, communications and security equipment
- Ability to remain calm in emergency situations
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation. Employees of this position are frequently required to:
- Stand at a post for long periods of time
- Patrol the floor and Exhibition Gallery
- Conduct hourly building sweeps
- Sit at a post
- Vocally communicate with employees and members of the public
Interested applicants should send a resume, letter of interest and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Hamilton College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and encourages diversity in all areas of the campus community.
Back to Job Opportunities