A retired order department manager, was born on July 28, 1907, to William H. and Lillian Bell Jeans Becker, in Rockville, CT. He grew up in Utica, NY, and was graduated in 1926 from New Hartford High School. That year, he came up to College Hill. A member of Psi Upsilon, he left the Hill a year later.
After residing for a time in Ilion, NY, Howard Becker settled in Gloversville, where he was employed in accounting by the Grandoe Corp., glove manufacturers. He was head of its order department at the time of his retirement in 1973. Earlier, during World War II, he saw military service in the Pacific and China-Burma-India theaters. An avid photographer who was also fond of classical literature and music, he, along with his wife Rose, found great enjoyment in attending music festival concerts at Tanglewood.
Howard P. Becker died on June 13, 2005, at his home in Gloversville, in his 98th year. He was predeceased by his wife, and there are no immediate survivors.
Return to Top
A journalist who retired as senior editor of the international staff of U.S. News & World Report, was born on May 16, 1910, in Lancaster, PA. The son of Charles S., editor and publisher of the Lancaster Daily Intelligencer and News-Journal, and Josephine Kieffer Foltz, an artist, he prepared for college at Franklin & Marshall Academy and entered Hamilton in 1927. Although quickly demonstrating a talent for writing English, he was tripped up by Greek and trigonometry, which led to his leaving the Hill at the end of his freshman year. He thereafter returned to Lancaster and transferred to Franklin & Marshall College, where he applied himself more diligently and was graduated Phi Beta Kappa and with honors (but without Greek) in 1931. He later served on Franklin & Marshall's board of trustees and was awarded an honorary doctorate of literature by that institution in 1954. However, he continued to feel indebted to Hamilton for "waking me up" and could be counted upon for contributions to its fund drives.
In 1931, Charles Foltz began his distinguished career in journalism as a cub reporter for the New York Herald Tribune. But wishing to travel and cover world news, he joined the Associated Press in 1933 and was assigned to Europe as a foreign correspondent. Based in Paris and Bern, he covered French politics and the civil war in Spain as well as international conferences. Named chief AP correspondent at the League of Nations in Geneva in 1937, he was later on hand for the Munich conference. From neutral Spain he continued to serve as a correspondent during the Second World War and concluded his career with the AP as its bureau chief in Madrid. Out of that experience came his book, The Masquerade in Spain (1948), which was highly critical of the regime of General Francisco Franco.
After the war, in 1946, Charles Foltz joined the newly launched World Report (which later became U.S. News & World Report) as its European editor. While residing in Washington, DC, he continued to travel and report extensively from abroad. Named associate editor of the news magazine's world staff and subsequently director of its international staff, he logged interviews with heads of state or government from Tokyo to Canberra and New Delhi to Cairo. A past president of the Overseas Writers in Washington, he retired from U.S. News in 1976.
Charles S. Foltz was residing in the Georgetown section of Washington when he died on May 14, 2005, two days before his 95th birthday. Besides his wife, Susan Baker Foltz, whom he had married in 1997, he is survived by a son and daughter, Charles I. Foltz and Nancy Vest, born of his first marriage, in 1933, to Frances R. Ireland, and two grandchildren.
Return to Top
A longtime corporate attorney and lifelong Swedenborgian who served as a trustee of the Swedenborg Foundation, was born on June 9, 1909, in Brooklyn, NY. His parents were Howard E., a buyer, and Jennie Seekamp Lawrence. "Howie" Lawrence grew up in Brooklyn, prepared for college at Erasmus Hall High School, and entered Hamilton in 1927. He joined ELS, participated in interclass and interfraternity athletics, and became a member of the Musical Arts Society. In his sophomore year he helped cover his college expenses by serving as a Chapel bell ringer.
Following his graduation with honors in history in 1931, Howard Lawrence returned to New York City and enrolled in Fordham University Law School, where he earned his LL.B. degree in 1934. While associated with a law firm in the city, he took evening courses at St. John's University Law School and acquired a doctorate in juridical science in 1938. Three years later, he left private practice to become an attorney for the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad Co., a position he held until he enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1942. Commissioned as an officer, he served in Iceland and Hawaii, and as a military government officer on Eniwetok in the Pacific at the end of World War II.
Released from the Navy as a lieutenant in 1946, Howard Lawrence joined the legal staff of General Electric Co. He was subsequently employed in the law department of Remington Rand Corp. (later Sperry-Rand) in Manhattan until his retirement in 1969. In the years thereafter he and his wife, the former Frances I. Osborne, whom he had wed in 1951, divided the year between South Yarmouth on Cape Cod and Ft. Lauderdale, FL. They later took up full-time residence in Venice, FL, where Howard continued to swim and play tennis well into advanced age. He also continued his activities in connection with the Swedenborgian church.
In 2000, after 17 years in Venice, the Lawrences moved to Dahlonega in the North Georgia mountains, to be near their adopted daughter and her family. There, Howard A. Lawrence, an ardently loyal alumnus who always retained a lively interest in the College, died on October 27, 2004, at the age of 95. Predeceased by his wife in 2001, he is survived by their daughter, Kathie Lawrence, and three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
For 61 years a funeral director in his hometown of Worcester, NY, was born in nearby Cooperstown on May 19, 1911. The only son of Elmon J. and Alice Mackey Skinner, he grew up in Worcester and was graduated in 1928 from Worcester High School. "Andy" Skinner, also known as "Red," enrolled at Hamilton that year. He continued to take courses on the Hill until 1933, but never earned a degree.
In 1934, after attending the Simmons School of Embalming in Syracuse, Andy Skinner went to work for his father in the family business, the E.J. Skinner Funeral Chapel in Worcester. He succeeded his father as owner of the business, which he conducted until his retirement in 1995.
Within the community, Andrew Skinner was a trustee of the Worcester United Methodist Church, served on the board of directors of the Bank of Worcester as well as the Key Bank, and was a charter member of the Worcester Rotary Club. He had a passionate interest in baseball and enjoyed hunting in Canada.
Andrew E. Skinner, a faithful supporter of the College, died on June 18, 2005, at his home in Worcester, at the age of 94. Predeceased in 1986 by his wife, the former Mary Empie, whom he had wed in 1935, he is survived by a daughter, Christine Ten Eyck, and a grandson.
Return to Top
A retired hotel, club, and resort manager, and the last surviving of five brothers who attended Hamilton, was born on October 3, 1911, on College Hill. A son of Philip B. and Catherine Kennedy Crane, he grew up on the family dairy farm on Griffin Road, adjacent to the College's campus. He attended the one-room district grade school, which was located where the Rudd Health Center now stands, and entered Hamilton from Clinton High School in 1929. He became a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon as well as the Newman Club, and played hockey, twice lettering in the sport.
Two days after his graduation in 1933, Leroy Crane, known as "Lee," began work as a kitchen trainee at the Hotel Commodore in Manhattan. He was assistant credit manager when he left the hotel in 1938 to operate his own retail business in Newark, NJ. Drafted into the U.S. Army during the Second World War in 1942, he was commissioned as an officer and assigned to the newly formed 63rd Infantry Division. He landed in France in December 1944 with a detachment of the division, which was immediately rushed to Alsace to help stem the German offensive in the "Battle of the Bulge." In charge of the division headquarters mess, he was with the 63rd Infantry when it broke through the Siegfried Line into Germany and went on to peacefully occupy Heidelberg. Promoted to captain and awarded the Bronze Star with two battle stars, he was discharged from the Army in 1946.
After the war, Lee Crane returned to Clinton and joined his brothers in the family business, Crane Dairy Co. By 1952, however, the milk business didn't seem to have much of a future, so he found a new line of work in managing the Westhampton Club on Long Island in summer and the Flamingo Hotel and Club in Miami Beach, FL, in winter. In 1959, he took over management of the Lyford Cay Club, a unit of the newly developed Lyford Cay Community, a residential resort complex on New Providence Island in the Bahamas. However, after spending a dozen years on "a plot of land 21 miles long and seven miles wide," he became afflicted with "island fever" and decided to retire at the age of 59 and return to Clinton.
Lee Crane, ever the genial gentleman, took up residence on Reservoir Road on College Hill, above the campus. Because of its panoramic vista of the valley below he named it "Point of View." There he acquired a dog for the first time in his life, took to gardening, and found a "wonderful" life in retirement. When not "tooling around" in his near-vintage Fiat convertible, he also enjoyed capturing birds on film with his camera. In addition, through almost 30 years, he faithfully kept detailed records of the daily weather on College Hill. Those records are now part of the College Archives, having joined the ones kept by Professor Oren Root, Sr., in the 19th century and by Professor William Carruth in the early 20th. As a result, the existing weather data for Clinton is exceptionally extensive over a period of 150 years.
In 2001, advanced age and illness compelled Leroy J. Crane to leave "Point of View" and take up residence in a retirement home in the village. He died in Clinton on February 21, 2005, at the age of 93. Never married, he is survived by a brother, Kenneth Crane, as well as nieces and nephews, including Thomas R. Crane, Jr. '61. He was predeceased by his brothers Philip J. '26, Leonard J. '29, Thomas R. '31, and Harold B. Crane '38.
Return to Top
A lawyer, devoted alumnus, and former national president of Theta Delta Chi fraternity, was born on January 14, 1912, in Tulsa, OK. A son of James B., also a lawyer, and Edith Maclary Diggs, he came East to prepare for college at the Tome School in Maryland. Influenced by a classmate, the son of a Hamilton alumnus, "Mac" Diggs came to College Hill in 1929. Engaging in a variety of activities while also compiling an impressive academic record, he lettered three times in soccer and became managing editor of Hamilton Life as well as president of Psi Charge of Theta Delta Chi. Elected to Quadrangle, DT, and the journalism honorary Pi Delta Epsilon, he was also awarded the Oren Root and Huntington Mathematical Scholarships and the Tompkins Mathematical Prize.
Following his graduation Phi Beta Kappa and as head of his class, and with honors in mathematics, Mac Diggs went off to New Haven and Yale Law School in 1933. Awarded his LL.B. degree summa cum laude in 1936, he began his law practice in association with the Wall Street firm of Cravath, de Gersdorff, Swaine & Wood. In 1940, he was elected as the first vice chairman of Hamilton's newly established Alumni Council. He returned to Clinton in 1941 as assistant to President William H. Cowley, but after a year, in which he taught English composition on the side, he left to join the U.S. Army. He served in military intelligence in Washington, DC, through the end of World War II, was awarded the Legion of Merit for his contributions to the Allied effort against the Japanese in the Pacific, and attained the rank of captain. After the Japanese surrender he was assigned to the Congressional Pearl Harbor investigation as counsel to General George C. Marshall.
After his return to civilian life in 1946, Mac Diggs set up his law practice in Olean, NY, in the southwestern part of the state. A partner in the firm of Hornburg, Diggs & Dwyer (later Hornburg, Diggs, Backhaus & Simon), he became highly active in the community, serving as president of the Olean Public Library, a longtime trustee of Olean General Hospital as well as president of its board, vice president of Randolph Children's Home, and a trustee of the Olean YMCA. In addition, he was a vestryman and senior warden of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church and counselor to the bishops of the Diocese.
Mac Diggs, known as "a man who gets things done," was also exceptionally active on behalf of the College and his fraternity. Several times over the years a member of the Alumni Council, he served as president of the Alumni Association in 1958-59. That same year he was elected as the 39th president of the Grand Lodge of Theta Delta Chi, having already served as its treasurer. A recipient of the John A. Evans Theta Delt of the Year Award, he also served as a director of the fraternity's Education Foundation and took a keen interest in the Psi Charge at Hamilton as president of the house corporation. He negotiated the settlement that led to the College acquiring the Theta Delt house in 1993.
Mac Diggs, who paid frequent visits to College Hill, often driving up in his RV, continued to practice law despite frailties of health and the loss of sight in an eye, until the age of 90. A general practitioner who specialized in oil and gas as well as business and taxation law, he often appeared before state and federal trial and appellate courts, and he was appointed by Governor Rockefeller as a consultant in drafting the state's first oil and gas law. At the time of his retirement he was the oldest practicing attorney in Cattaraugus County.
Robert M. Diggs died on February 22, 2005, in Olean, at age 93. Predeceased in 1992 by his wife, the former Clara Curtis McLeod, who was a widow when they were married in 1952, he is survived by two stepsons, George C. '54 and Douglas S. McLeod; an adopted son, Andrew R. Diggs, and a son, Lawrence T. Diggs; and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
Counselor and confidant of Presidents, whose stellar career encompassed the law, business, and public service, was born on December 7, 1913, in Trenton, NJ. The eldest son of Joseph and Rose Oglenskye Linowitz, Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe, he grew up in Trenton, where his father was a fruit merchant. He came to Hamilton in 1931 from Trenton Senior High School with a $250 scholarship and little else but his parents' legacy of faith in the importance of education.
Sol Linowitz worked his way through college by waiting on tables in Commons, giving violin lessons, and even selling Christmas cards. In his spare time he devoted himself to music and acting with the Charlatans. One of his many odd jobs was reading on a Sunday afternoon to the aged and near-blind Elihu Root. One day, the distinguished statesman and Nobel laureate asked Sol what he planned to do after leaving Hamilton. When Sol confided that he was not sure whether to pursue a career in the law or become a rabbi, Senator Root advised him: "Become a lawyer. I have found that a lawyer needs twice as much religion as a minister or rabbi." It was advice that Sol Linowitz took to heart and never forgot.
Described by the Hamiltonian as an "extraordinary combination of musician, scholar, and actor," Sol Linowitz was graduated Phi Beta Kappa and with honors in public speaking, political science, and German. Salutatorian of the Class of 1935, he delivered his address in the then customary Latin, which prompted some puzzlement from his mother in the Commencement audience.
After Hamilton, Sol Linowitz went on to Cornell University Law School, where he served as editor-in-chief of the Law Quarterly and earned his LL.B. degree in 1938. There he met his future wife and life partner, Evelyn "Toni" Zimmerman. They were married in New York City on September 3, 1939. The couple took up residence in Rochester, NY, where Sol had joined a small law firm, Sutherland & Sutherland. Except for the years of World War II when he served as assistant general counsel to the Office of Price Administration in Washington (1942-44) and on active duty as a U.S. Navy lieutenant (1944-46), he continued in private practice in Rochester until 1958.
While engaged in his law practice, Sol Linowitz became involved with a small local company, Haloid, which manufactured photographic papers. While Sol was serving as its general counsel, beginning in 1958, he utilized his professional skills as a negotiator to protect its patents, preserve its independence, and assure its growth into what became the mighty Xerox Corp. He was chairman of Xerox's board in 1966 when President Lyndon B. Johnson called him to Washington to serve as U.S. Ambassador to the Organization of American States. It marked the beginning of his distinguished contributions in his country's service.
After President Johnson left office in 1969, Ambassador Linowitz remained in Washington to become a senior partner in the international law firm of Coudert Bros. With the inauguration of Jimmy Carter as President in 1977, he received another call from the White House, to serve as co-negotiator of the Panama Canal treaties. It was an exceedingly challenging assignment, both in conducting the negotiations and in obtaining ratification by the U.S. Senate against fierce political opposition. Ultimately, however, success was achieved. In 1979, President Carter named Sol Linowitz as his special representative in the Middle East, charged with the task of mediating between Egypt and Israel over Palestinian autonomy. His negotiating efforts ended in 1981 with the Reagan presidency.
Throughout his career, Sol Linowitz devoted much time and energy to active involvement in worthy causes such as the National Urban Coalition, which he served as chairman. He was also a member of numerous boards of trustees, including those of Cornell University, the University of Rochester, the Johns Hopkins University, and Hamilton. Elected as a charter trustee of the College in 1964, he generously shared for 20 years his wise counsel, tempered judgment, and clarity of vision to Hamilton's great benefit. He was a life trustee of the College at the time of his death.
Laden with countless honors, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom, conferred upon him by President Clinton in 1998, Sol Linowitz nonetheless remained a man of modest demeanor, gifted with a sense of humor, and always courtly and considerate of others. Also a man of great integrity who publicly deplored the materialism and moral decline within his beloved legal profession, he remained faithful to the tradition of public service combined with ethical probity that was so exemplified by Elihu Root.
Sol M. Linowitz died on March 18, 2005, at his home in Washington, at the age of 91. Besides his wife of 65 years, he is survived by four daughters, June Linowitz, Anne Mozersky, Jan Linowitz, and Roni Jolles; eight grandchildren, and three brothers, including R. Robert Linowes '44.
Return to Top
Who practiced internal medicine in Buffalo, NY, for four decades, was born in that city on April 5, 1913. A son of W. Ray Montgomery, a dentist, and the former Charlotte Lipsey, a teacher, he prepared for college at Nichols School in Buffalo and followed his older brother, Robert L. '29, to Hamilton in 1932. He joined his brother's fraternity, Alpha Delta Phi, and engaged in an impressively wide range of student activities. Besides playing varsity hockey and golf, "Monty" Montgomery sang in the Choir, became president of the Honor Court and the Executive Council, and served as business manager of the Continental. Elected to DT, Was Los, and Pentagon, as well as the journalism honorary Pi Delta Epsilon, he was graduated in 1936.
Bent upon a career in medicine, Warren Montgomery returned to his hometown and entered the University of Buffalo's medical school. After acquiring his M.D. degree in 1940, he began his residency at Buffalo General and Children's hospitals. It was interrupted by a call to military service as an officer in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in 1942. Dr. Montgomery served throughout World War II, including overseas tours in North Africa and Italy. Attached to the 36th Infantry Division, he also participated in the Battle of the Bulge campaign and was awarded the Bronze Star. On September 15, 1945, while stationed in occupied Germany, he made a trip to Paris to wed Ina Mae Tate, an American Red Cross worker whom he had met in Europe.
Released from the Army as a captain shortly thereafter, Dr. Montgomery completed his residency in internal medicine at Buffalo General Hospital. In 1949, he entered private practice as one of the original members of the Buffalo Medical Group. Today it comprises 115 physicians and is one of the largest multi-specialty groups in the state. He also devoted much time to teaching in the residency program at Buffalo General. Dr. Montgomery retired at the age of 76 in 1989, "with some regret, because I have enjoyed every minute of my job." However, he continued to keep his professional hand in as an evaluating physician for the Veterans Administration in Buffalo.
Despite his heavy schedule, Dr. Montgomery usually found time to indulge his lifelong passion for golf. In his 80s, he also resumed playing bridge, an enjoyment of his youth. In addition, he had a special fondness for the Lake Erie shore, where he and Ina Mae had a summer home, as well as the highlands of Chautauqua County to the south. An ardently loyal alumnus, "Monty" Montgomery was at one time president of the Western New York Alumni Association and vice president of the Society of Alumni. He kept in close touch with the College and many of his classmates, and assisted Hamilton with its fund-raising activities.
Warren R. Montgomery died on June 23, 2005, in East Amherst, NY, where he had been residing, at the age of 92. Predeceased by his wife in 1986, he is survived by a son, Warren R. Montgomery III, and a grandson. Other family members include a nephew, Robert L. Montgomery, Jr. '59, whose father had died in 2001.
Return to Top
The senior ordained priest in the Episcopal Diocese of Central New York at the time of his death, was born on April 29, 1916, in Clinton, NY. The son of Charles R. and Dorothy Gridley Williams, he grew up on the family farm in the area of Clinton called Chuckery Corners. "Ros" Williams came up the Hill to Hamilton in 1932 from Clinton High School. Pursuing few extracurricular activities, he focused on his studies while covering his college expenses by working in the library and picking up and delivering his fellow students' laundry cases to the Clinton Post Office for shipment home.
Having survived such academic perils as flunking Professor Milledge Bonham's history course "because I was not an artist, and didn't have the correct colored pens for circling and underlining," Ros Williams was graduated in 1937. He thereafter entered General Theological Seminary in New York City to prepare for the Episcopal ministry. Ordained a deacon and then a priest in 1940, he began his parish ministry as priest-in-charge of St. Mark's Church in Candor, NY. Called in 1942 to be rector of Grace Church in Waterville, he became rector of St. Stephen's in New Hartford in 1945. As a chaplain in the National Guard, he was called to active duty during the Korean War in 1951 and served for two years in the U.S. Army with the rank of captain.
After his military service, the Rev. Roswell Williams became rector of St. John's Church in Oneida. From 1962 until his retirement in 1978, he served as rector of St. Paul's Church in Watertown. Thereafter he moved back to Clinton, where he continued active as a supply priest. During the summers from 1979 to 1993 he was priest-in-charge of historic St. Paul's in Paris Hill, which was founded in 1797. By that time he had delivered more than 2,350 sermons and gone through 26 automobiles and two bicycles while offering spiritual guidance 24 hours a day, seven days a week. He was dedicated to serving his Lord and His people, both churched and unchurched, and very much enjoyed his life as a parish priest.
Father Williams, who, except for a stint in France as an Army chaplain, had never strayed far for long from his native Clinton, was active in a wide range of community affairs. He served as chaplain of police and fire departments as well as American Legion posts, and was a founder of the Watertown Urban Mission. He also remained an ever-devoted Hamilton alumnus and assisted the College with its fund-raising activities. With his wife, the former Avis L. Norton, a high school teacher whom he had wed on July 10, 1943, in Waterville, he enjoyed extensive travel abroad. In addition, they found warmth during winter months on Marco Island in Florida.
In 2001, the Williamses left Clinton to take up residence in a retirement community in Oswego, NY. Roswell G. Williams, ever a mild-mannered, genial gentleman, died in Oswego on May 15, 2005, in his 90th year. In addition to his wife of 61 years, he is survived by a daughter, Susan Vorce; three sons, Alan N., Joel S., and Mark E. Williams '76; and seven grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
A retired wholesale food and liquor distributor, was born on October 22, 1916, in Utica, NY. A son of Frank A. and Lucy Sacco Cardamone, he attended Utica Free Academy and prepared for college at New York Military Academy in Cornwall-on-Hudson. Bob Cardamone came to Hamilton in 1934, joined Delta Upsilon, and remained on the Hill for two years. He subsequently went to work for his father in the family's business, A. Cardamone & Sons, wholesale distributors of wines, liquors, and produce.
In his youth, Bob Cardamone developed a passion for flying, and he acquired and piloted his own airplane. In 1941, before the attack on Pearl Harbor, his aeronautical ardor led him to join the Royal Canadian Air Force. After serving for almost a year as a flying instructor in the RCAF, he returned to the U.S., which in the meantime had entered World War II, and obtained a commission as a first lieutenant in the Army Air Corps. He served until the end of the war as a pilot instructor at various bases in the States. In April 1944, while in uniform, he was married to Dorothy A. Wilson in their hometown of Utica.
Released from active duty as a captain at the end of 1945, Bob Cardamone returned to Utica and the family business, becoming its vice president. He retired as vice president and treasurer of A. Cardamone & Sons in 1977. For several years thereafter he was associated with Arctic Storage and Rich Plan, both of Utica. An avid golfer, he also took to assiduous reading in his later years and became a constant patron of public libraries.
Robert V. Cardamone died on May 16, 2005, at his home in New Hartford, NY. Predeceased by his wife in 1989, he is survived by a daughter, Nancy McGowan; a son, John R. Cardamone; and two grandchildren, two sisters, and a brother.
Return to Top
A former travel agent in Panama, was born on June 14, 1916, in Deer Creek, IL. A son of William A., a Presbyterian minister, and Minnie Richardson Dalton, he grew up in Oneida Castle, NY, not far from Clinton, and came to the College from Oneida High School in 1934. Gordon Dalton joined the local fraternity Beta Kappa and ran cross-country and track, becoming captain of the track team in his senior year. Called "indispensable to the Neutrals in maintaining athletic prestige," he also participated in a variety of interclass sports. He worked his way through Hamilton waiting on tables in Commons and earning his board as a Chapel bell ringer, a duty in which he took great pride.
Following his graduation in 1938, Gordon Dalton obtained a job at the 1939 New York World's Fair. When the Fair ended, he became a trainee-messenger for the central Hanover Bank & Trust Co. in Manhattan. He was sales manager for Air Reduction Co., an air conditioning business, in 1942 when he obtained a purser's license from the Coast Guard and went to sea with the U.S. Merchant Marine in the midst of World War II. As a purser sailing on "rust buckets," Liberty ships, and various other cargo vessels, including two that were torpedoed, he helped transport supplies to Allied forces across both the Atlantic and the Pacific.
After the war and brief employment by a travel agency in New York City, Gordon Dalton went back to sea as a purser for the Panama Line, which ran between New York and Panama. He was on the S.S. Cristobal when he met Margaret Stapleton Posey, a passenger aboard who was a longtime resident of the Canal Zone. They were married in Balboa on September 30, 1947. The Daltons thereafter settled in Panama, where Gordon vastly improved on the Spanish he had learned from Professor Wentworth D. Fling. He also found employment selling jewelry wholesale.
In 1964, Gordon Dalton (known as "Flaco" -- Spanish for "Slim" -- by his friends) was manager of a travel agency in Panama when he decided to open his own agency specializing in an innovative array of group tours of Latin America. The business prospered, and it gave him the opportunity to travel widely, which he greatly enjoyed. In 1973, however, he and "Maggie" decided to retire, sell the business, and move back to "Yankeeland." They bought a home in Pinehurst, NC, and moved there the following year. Later, as Pinehurst became congested with golfers, they joined the Country Club of North Carolina and built a new home on its grounds. There, while Maggie gardened and played bridge, Gordon enthusiastically took to golf. In recent years they continued to reside in Pinehurst, but in smaller quarters.
Gordon H. Dalton, an ever faithful and supportive Hamiltonian, died in Pinehurst on March 25, 2005, of cancer. In addition to his wife of 57 years, he is survived by a stepson, Carl A. Posey, and four stepgrandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
A retired major general and onetime chief of information for the U.S. Army, who became well known for the "Sidle Commission" recommendations on news coverage of military operations, was born on September 7, 1916, in Springfield, OH. The elder of two sons of Don R. Sidle '11, an insurance broker, and the former Helen L. Winant, "Si" Sidle grew up in the Philadelphia, PA, suburb of Lansdowne and was graduated from Lansdowne High School as president of his class. His father having just lost his insurance business to bankruptcy during that Depression era, he relied on scholarship aid to enter Hamilton in 1934. On the Hill he became a member of Sigma Phi and one of the most active students on campus. He lettered in baseball and football, and served as associate and sports editor of Hamilton Life, business manager of the Hamiltonian, and editor of the student handbook. President of the journalism honorary Pi Delta Epsilon, he also chaired the Honor Court, served on the Executive Committee and as president of the Interfraternity Council, and was elected vice president of his class. Tapped by Quadrangle, DT, and Pentagon, he left the Hill with his diploma in 1938.
After a year of law school at the University of Pennsylvania, Si Sidle was compelled for financial reasons to go to work as a salesman for Atlantic Refining Co. in Philadelphia. When the first draft drawings were held in October 1940, prior to American entry into World War II, his number was the 10th one out of the fishbowl. As a consequence he became one of the first "draft-motivated" volunteers by enlisting in an artillery battalion of the Pennsylvania National Guard. After his battalion was federalized in early 1941, he earned an officer's commission in the field artillery. While stationed in North Carolina, Lt. Sidle met Anne M. Brown. They were married on September 30, 1942, in Charlotte.
During World War II, Si Sidle served in North Africa and Italy, where he participated in the landings at Anzio. He subsequently served in France and occupied Germany and Austria as a battalion commander. After the war in 1946, having decided to remain in the peacetime Army, he obtained a regular commission as a major. He was to remain in uniform for another 30 years, including five tours of duty at the Pentagon in addition to "meritorious service" with the 3rd Infantry Division Artillery as a battalion commander in Korea during the conflict there. It also resulted in the addition of an oak leaf cluster to his Bronze Star.
Earlier, in 1949, Si Sidle had earned an M.A. degree in journalism from the University of Wisconsin. That year he was selected by Gen. Albert C. Wedemeyer as a speech writer, which caused Si to be doubly grateful for his training in public speaking at Hamilton. He later wrote speeches for three Army Chiefs of Staff as well as a chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Throughout his military career he would more or less alternate between assignments as an information officer and artillery commander. Along the way he was being groomed for higher rank through postings to the Army's Command and General Staff College and its War College.
In 1963, Si Sidle was posted to the Pentagon as the Army's assistant chief of information and later military assistant to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Promoted to brigadier general, he remained in Washington until 1967, when he was appointed chief of information for the U.S. Military Assistance Command in Vietnam. There he had the difficult task of dealing with skeptical reporters covering an unpopular war. He did so with great integrity, earning their respect as well as that of his "boss," General William C. Westmoreland.
In 1969, after briefly commanding field artillery troops in combat in Vietnam, Si Sidle returned to Washington as the Department of the Army's chief of information. He received his second star as a major general in 1970. Three years later, he returned to the field as deputy commanding general of the Fifth Army. By 1974, however, he was back in Washington as deputy assistant secretary of defense for public affairs. He retired after 35 years with the Army in 1975. Following three years as director of regional activities for the Association of the United States Army, a private organization active in support of the military, he went to work for Martin Marietta Aerospace in Orlando, FL, becoming its director of public relations and later Martin Marietta's first director of corporate ethics.
In the wake of the invasion of Grenada in 1983, when there was media outrage over the exclusion of journalists from the scene and subsequent restrictions on island access, Gen. John W. Vesey, Jr., chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, appointed Gen. Sidle to chair a commission to investigate and offer recommendations on news coverage of future military operations. Made up of seven military officers and seven journalists, the "Sidle Commission" concluded that the media had a right to combat access to the maximum degree possible, and recommended that the Defense Department create press pools to assure both operational security and the safety of journalists. It reflected Gen. Sidle's own view of journalism in time of war: "It should not be a lap dog, and it should not be an attack dog. It should be a watchdog." The commission's recommendations were substantially adopted by the Defense Department and have governed military-media relations to a great extent since.
Gen. Sidle, a genial pipe smoker given to both friendliness and candor, retired from Martin Marietta to Southern Pines, NC, in 1990. Always active in community affairs wherever he was posted, he had chaired United Way fund drives and served as senior warden of several Episcopal churches as well as a member of the board of Rollins College. A self-described "lousy" golfer but by all reports a good bowler, he also enjoyed gardening and refinishing furniture in his spare time.
Winant Sidle died at his home in Southern Pines on March 19, 2005, of complications from a stroke. Besides his wife of 62 years, he is survived by three sons, Douglas W., Peter B., and Andrew M. Sidle; two daughters, Meredith Hackett and Susan Callahan; and seven grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Gen. Sidle's brother, Paul R. Sidle '47, predeceased him in 1995.
Return to Top
A retired advertising manager, was born on March 27, 1917, in Elmira, NY. A son of Daniel J. and Katharine Landy Kennedy (later Love) and younger brother of Daniel G. '34 and Charles F. Kennedy '35, he grew up in Rochester, NY, where he was graduated in 1935 from Monroe High School. "Larry" Kennedy came to College Hill that year, joined his brothers' fraternity, Theta Delta Chi, and went out for golf and hockey. He also served as art editor of The Hamiltonian and faced the footlights with the Charlatans. Combining seriousness of purpose with a sense of humor, he earned his B.S. degree in 1939.
Interested in a career in commerce, specifically in advertising, Larry Kennedy soon discovered that ad agencies preferred employees with sales experience. Consequently he began his working life as a merchandise trainee at Sibley's, a Rochester department store. The following year, with the requisite experience under his belt, he joined the Rumrill Advertising agency. However, World War II soon intervened, and he found himself providing primary flight instruction to fledgling pilots in Texas and Louisiana as a member of the Army Air Corps Reserve. Released from military service in 1945, he returned to Rumrill in Rochester as an account executive. On March 1, 1946, in Rochester, he was married to Jacqueline C. Sumner.
In 1948, Larry Kennedy moved to Elmira, NY, to serve as vice president of sales for the Kennedy Valve Manufacturing Co., which had been founded by his grandfather and of which his brother Charles was president. After four years, Larry decided to strike out on his own and move to Utica, where he established the Kennedy Sporting Goods Manufacturing Co. When competition from imports drove him out of business in 1959, he became a wholesale sales manager for Utica Club beer. Six years later, he was back in Rochester as advertising manager for Genesee Brewing Co., a post he would hold for 20 years until his retirement in 1985.
In retirement, Larry Kennedy devoted additional time to community service as president of the Genesee Hospital Associates and chairman of the Rochester chapter of the Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE). Besides providing advice and counsel to aspiring small business entrepreneurs on a volunteer basis, he offered his marketing expertise to the Executive Service Corps, affiliated with the United Way, and assisted the Center for Dispute Settlements (CDS) in its arbitration efforts. When not wintering in Florida, he and "Jac" enjoyed spending time at their small homestead, replete with a fish pond and bee hives, 35 miles south of Rochester.
J. Lawrence Kennedy was still residing in Rochester when he died on June 15, 2005. In addition to his wife of almost 60 years, he is survived by four sons, Andrew S. '70, Stephen S., Douglas L., and Craig Kennedy; three daughters. Judith L. and Sarah E. Kennedy, and Cynthia Helander; his half-brother, William F. Love, Jr. '52; and 14 grandchildren. Other survivors include nephews Charles C. '62 and James O. Kennedy '74, and nieces Carol Kennedy K'75 and Margaret Love '83.
Return to Top
A professional photographer and avid outdoorsman, was born on October 22, 1915, in Brooklyn, NY. He was a son of Bayard S., who managed his family's extensive real estate holdings, especially in the Adirondacks, and Marguerite Berg Litchfield. His great-grand¬father was Edwin Clark Litchfield, Class of 1832, a railroad president and one of the early benefactors of the College who endowed Litchfield Observatory as well as the professorship held at Hamilton by the internationally renowned astronomer Christian H. F. Peters. Phil Litchfield prepared for college at the Romford School in Connecticut and entered Hamilton in 1935 from Katonah, NY. He left the Hill in the spring of his freshman year and spent the succeeding year at Iowa State College (now University).
Phil Litchfield soldiered in the U.S. Army from 1941 until he was medically discharged in 1943. He subsequently volunteered for the American Field Service, became an ambulance driver attached to British forces in Italy toward the end of World War II, and was cited for distinguished service by the British government. After the war he took up portrait photography professionally and later joined the staff of The Patent Trader of Mt. Kisco, NY, as the newspaper's first full-time photographer. He was also on the boards of directors of his family's real estate companies.
In addition to great affection for exotic sports cars, which he collected, Phil Litchfield had a passion for outdoor activities. Besides golfing while at his winter home in Vero Beach, FL, he took great delight in hosting hunting and fishing expeditions for family and friends from his beloved summer home in the Adirondacks.
Long ill, Philip A. Litchfield died on April 21, 2005, in Vero Beach, in his 90th year. He is survived by his wife of 35 years, the former Sarah Richardson Hamill. Also surviving are two sons, Christopher S. '72 and Eric H. Litchfield, born of his first marriage, in 1949, to Isabel Crouse; a stepson and stepdaughter, Robert B. Hamill '84 and Amelia H. Hopkins, married to Timothy B. Hopkins '84; and eight grand¬children and a sister.
Return to Top
Who retired as the David Ross Boyd Professor of English after 30 years of teaching at the University of Oklahoma, was born on March 15, 1919, in Brooklyn, NY. His parents were Roy R. and Mary Brooks Male, both teachers. Roy Male, known as "Ray," grew up in Brooklyn, where he was graduated from Alexander Hamilton High School. With its principal's recommendation that he was "one of the finest boys we ever had in [the school]," he entered the College in 1935. An ardent and talented tennis player, he lettered in the sport, and also worked on Hamilton Life, becoming its news editor. A member of Lambda Chi Alpha and recipient of the William Duncan Saunders Prize for writing, he left the Hill with a B.S. degree in 1939.
Ray Male returned to New York City, where he earned an M.A. in English from Columbia University in 1940. That year he enlisted in the U.S. Army as a private. Promoted to sergeant and later commissioned as an officer in the field artillery, he served throughout World War II. Assigned to the Pacific theater, he was stationed in the Philippines and in Japan after the war's end.
Ray Male, who left military service as a first lieutenant in 1946, rejoined his wife, the former Carolyn Conlisk, whom he had met in Texas and married on August 19, 1944, at Ft. Benning, GA. After the war, she persuaded him to pursue Ph.D. studies in English at the University of Texas, her own alma mater. It was in need of instructors at a time when returning veterans were flooding into the university, and Ray Male soon found himself teaching four sections of freshman English in addition to his graduate studies. Nonetheless, with a dissertation on Shelley's moral ideas, he acquired his Ph.D. in 1950.
That year, Ray Male joined the faculty of what is now Texas Tech University in Lubbock as an assistant professor. He coached tennis on the side. Soon thereafter, he obtained a Ford Foundation fellowship for a year of study at Harvard University. By that time, he was focusing his interest on American literature and especially Hawthorne. In 1955, he left Texas Tech for the University of Oklahoma. Promoted to full professor in 1961, he was named to the Boyd chair in 1969.
In addition to numerous scholarly articles and co-authorship of a highly regarded textbook, Reading and Writings (1954), Professor Male was the author of two notable monographs, Hawthorne's Tragic Vision (1957) and Enter, Mysterious Stranger: American Cloistral Fiction (1979). He also edited Types of Short Fiction (1961) and coedited American Literary Masters (1965). His last major published work as editor was Money Talks (1981), which explored the relationship between language and money.
Ray Male, a former president of the South Central Modern Language Association, considered himself "primarily a teacher who has enjoyed writing on the side." A recipient in 1966 of the University of Oklahoma's Regents Award for Superior Teaching, he was appointed as a Boyd Professor in recognition of his counseling and guidance of students as well as his teaching excellence and contributions to scholarship. Later in life, Ray Male stated that he had tried as best he could to emulate Hamilton's Professor Thomas McN. Johnston ("the best teacher of writing I've ever known"), not only as a teacher but as a "compassionate, humorous critic and helper" to his students.
Soon after his retirement in 1984, Ray Male packed up his tennis racquet as well as his guitar, and he and his wife Carolyn moved to Hilton Head, SC. There Ray continued to play tennis avidly and frequently. When not on the courts or at home listening to jazz and enjoying letters received from his former students, he liked to travel and explore South Carolina's low country.
Roy Raymond Male died in Hilton Head on June 17, 2005. In addition to his wife of 60 years, he is survived by a daughter, Marilyn C. Brick; a son, Frank W. Male; and a grandson.
Return to Top