A retired plant manager for the Bristol-Myers pharmaceutical company, was born on January 17, 1917, in Dobbs Ferry, NY. A son of Franklin A. and Willetha Fancher Chappell, he grew up in the New York metropolitan area and prepared for college at the Loomis School in Connecticut. Having entered Hamilton from White Plains in 1935, Fred Chappell joined Chi Psi, ran track, lettered in football, and trouped with the Charlatans. Elected to Quadrangle and DT, he was among the seven charter members of the Student Council in his senior year. As a result of dropping out of college for six months during his sophomore year to go to sea, working in the engine room of a U.S. Lines vessel, he was graduated with the Class of 1940.
Fred Chappell was employed by Tidewater Oil Co. until drafted into the U.S. Army in 1941 as a private. After basic training and Officers Candidate School, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant. Assigned to a tank battalion, he landed with his unit in France on D-Day. Before the day was over, he had his tank shot out from under him. Nevertheless, he rallied his unit, which saw considerable action in the Allied drive to Germany. For "meritorious service in the face of the enemy," he was awarded the Bronze Star. An oak leaf cluster was later added to it for his outstanding performance of duty during the assault on and crossing of the Ruhr River, in which he helped secure and expand a vital bridgehead into Germany.
Captain Chappell, who had also earned the Croix de Guerre as well as the Purple Heart, was released from active duty in 1945. He then went to work as a junior accountant for Bristol-Myers, but shifted two years later to the manufacturing end of the business. On June 14, 1948, he and Ruth Larsen were married in New York City. Employed by Bristol-Myers International, he became a production manager and supervised the company's Cuban plant from 1948 to 1950, and its Mexico City plant from 1950 to 1955. Subsequently, until his retirement in 1978, he traveled almost continuously on company business to Bristol-Myers plants all over the world.
After his retirement, Fred and Ruth Chappell, who had previously resided in Pleasantville, NY, and Summit, NJ, moved to a condominium on Marco Island in Florida. There, when not "happily beachcombing," Fred played tennis several times a week and also enjoyed taking his boat out on fishing expeditions. But soon tiring of resort crowds and high-rise living, he sold his boat and moved inland to a house in Lehigh Acres. In later years, besides tending his garden, he delivered Meals-on-Wheels and contributed his time to the Lehigh Regional Medical Center, which named him Volunteer of the Year.
Frederick B. Chappell was still residing in Lehigh Acres when he died on April 6, 2005. Predeceased a dozen years earlier by his wife, he is survived by a daughter, Donna Kuhl, and a son, William E. Chappell.
Return to Top
A retired bank executive and former trustee and treasurer of the College, was born on May 15, 1920, in Haverstraw, NY. His parents were William Abercrombie Kerr, a Scottish immigrant who died when Bob Kerr was 15 years old, and the former Edna M. Cooper. Bob Kerr grew up in the New York City suburbs, was graduated from Suffern High School, and entered Hamilton in 1936, at the age of 16. He joined Delta Upsilon and became a member of the Intramural Council. He left the Hill with his A.B. degree in 1940.
It was not easy finding a job that summer, but Bob Kerr finally obtained one with the Home Insurance Co. in New York City at a salary of $60 a month. A year later, he left the cold water flat in Greenwich Village that he shared with six other sons of toil to opt for a better paying job ($125 a month) with the U.S. Navy. Commissioned as an ensign and assigned to duty as executive officer aboard the destroyers U.S.S. Goff and U.S.S. Balch, he saw action in the North Atlantic and participated in the landings at Palermo, Salerno, and Normandy. After serving through the Second World War, he was recalled to active duty during the Korean War in 1951 and assigned to the destroyer U.S.S. Beale as executive officer.
Released by the Navy as a lieutenant commander in 1952, Bob Kerr returned to the Irving Trust Co. in Manhattan, where he had begun his banking career as a trainee following World War II. Promoted from assistant secretary to an assistant vice president in 1955, he was named a vice president in 1957 and senior vice president in charge of the company's national division in 1965. He remained with Irving Trust until 1968, when he left for Dayton, OH, to become president of the Winters National Bank & Trust Co. He subsequently became its chairman and chief executive officer. When the Winters Bank was merged into Bank One in 1983, he was named chairman of Bank One. A year later, he retired to Beaufort, SC.
While in Dayton, Bob Kerr was actively engaged in civic and community affairs. He helped form the Dayton Development Council, which he served as president. He was also president of the Dayton Area Chamber of Commerce as well as a trustee of the Dayton Museum of Natural History and the Dayton Art Institute. In addition, he was a member of the board of numerous corporations and foundations, including the Charles F. Kettering Foundation.
A devoted Hamiltonian and active on behalf of the College, Bob Kerr had been regional chairman of the Alumni Fund and a member of the Alumni Council when he was appointed treasurer of the College in 1959. A year later, he was elected as a charter trustee. He remained treasurer until 1969 and on Hamilton's board until 1971. But of all his contributions to his alma mater, the one that filled him with the most delight was realizing "one of his life's missions": seeing all three of his sons graduate from the College.
Far from retiring after settling in Beaufort, Bob Kerr soon put his commercial banking expertise to work as a founding director of the Savings Bank of Beaufort County. He also became much involved in long-range planning with the Beaufort County Council. His "last hurrah in business" was in 2000, when he, "the house Yankee," and his fellow directors merged the Beaufort bank into the First National Corp., and he fully retired.
Bob Kerr's favorite leisure activities included traveling with his wife, the former Twyliah Hamstreet, whom he had married on December 21, 1956, in New York City. He also enjoyed golf and especially woodworking, until failing eyesight caused him to abandon his workshop, where he had crafted copies of antique furniture. He turned instead to taking piano lessons and studying music theory, and also took up creative writing via a self-taught course. The result was his novel, Destiny's Bequests, published when he was 83. His intellectual curiosity and ever-questing mind also led him to pursue the study of astronomy and natural science as well as his family's genealogy.
Robert A. Kerr died in Beaufort on May 19, 2005, a few days after his 85th birthday. In addition to his wife of 48 years, he is survived by his three sons, William A. '79, Robert A., Jr. '81, and Alexander K. Kerr '87, as well as three grandchildren.
Return to Top
A research chemist who retired after 30 years with E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., was born on August 4, 1918, in Rye, NY. The son of Frederic P. Warfield, Class of 1896, a patent attorney and longtime trustee of the College, and the former Ruth White, he was a nephew of Charles H., Class of 1889, and Augustus B. Warfield, Class of 1900. Peter Warfield prepared for college at Avon Old Farms School and came to Hamilton in 1936 from Goldens Bridge, north of New York City. He joined his father's fraternity, Sigma Phi, and went out for hockey and tennis. Described by the Hamiltonian as being in "perpetual motion," Pete Warfield also captained the fencing team in his senior year and was a member of the Ski Club. An avid photographer in addition, he served as president of the Camera Club. Majoring in the sciences, he was awarded the Oren Root Scholarship in Mathematics and the Underwood Prize in Chemistry, and earned his B.S. degree Phi Beta Kappa and with honors in math and chemistry in 1940.
Peter Warfield went on to the University of Illinois, where he obtained an M.S. degree in chemistry in 1941 and a Ph.D. in organic chemistry in 1944. On May 23, 1942, while a graduate student, he was wed to Anne B. Quinby in New York City. After obtaining his doctorate, he began his career as a research chemist with the Bakelite Division of Union Carbide & Carbon Corp., in Bloomfield, NJ. A year later, in 1945, he joined the Ansco Division of General Aniline & Film Corp., in Binghamton, NY. Promoted to senior research chemist and then development specialist, he returned to New Jersey in 1952 when appointed to the research staff of Du Pont's photo products department in Parlin. Specializing in polymer chemistry, Dr. Warfield served as a technical service representative. Subsequently named a senior research chemist, he retired from Du Pont as a research associate in 1982.
With his fencing days behind him (in 1958, at the age of 40, he had captured the New Jersey state epee championship), Peter Warfield played tennis instead. With his wife Anne, he also became a golf enthusiast, and in 1966 he achieved his "crowning glory" by shooting a hole-in-one. Continuing to reside in Westfield, NJ, after his retirement, he served as a certified emergency medical technician with the town's volunteer rescue squad. Even after deciding that he had become "too old to be carrying people down stairs in stretchers," he still managed to play golf and tennis several days a week as well as pursue his lifelong hobby of photography. He was taking a college course in biology at the time of his final illness.
After residing for 53 years in Westfield, with his beloved pets to keep him company after his wife's death in 1988, Peter F. Warfield, a faithful alumnus, moved recently to Ocean City, NJ, to be near his family. He died there on July 7, 2005. Predeceased by his elder son, Frederic P. Warfield, he is survived by his younger son, William S. Warfield '69; a daughter, Ruth Warfield; and three grandchildren.
Return to Top
Who in midlife left the business world to pursue a religious calling and became an Episcopal priest, was born on September 21, 1918, in North Adams, MA. A son of Leslie T. and Helena Fallon Francis, he grew up in North Adams, where he was graduated from Drury High School. He entered Hamilton in 1937 and became a member of Chi Psi. In the midst of his senior year in 1941, however, he left the Hill due to illness and returned to North Adams. From 1943 to 1946, he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps as a weather observer, stationed primarily in Texas, and attained the rank of sergeant.
Following World War II, Leslie Francis returned to Hamilton, completed his graduation requirements, and received his diploma in 1947. Thereafter he entered a training program with General Electric Co. in Schenectady, NY. He was employed by GE in Pittsfield, MA, until 1950, and by Hunter Machine Co. in North Adams as a cost accountant until 1954. Married to Dorothea G. Carmichael on December 6, 1952, in North Adams, he began to develop an interest in a religious vocation and took up studies at the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, MA.
In 1957, following completion of his three-year course of study, Leslie Francis was appointed as curate of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Concord, NH. Two years later, he was called to Lee, MA, as rector of St. George's Episcopal Church and as vicar of the Church of the Good Shepherd in South Lee. In 1969, he moved to Barre, VT, to take up duties as rector of the Church of the Good Shepherd. He remained in that post until his retirement in 1983 when he and his wife moved to South Burlington, VT. In retirement, he occasionally filled in as a visiting minister and also pursued his avid interest in golf.
The Rev. Leslie T. Francis was residing in a nursing home in Northfield, VT, when he died on April 1, 2005. Predeceased by his wife in 1997, he is survived by a daughter, Margaret O'Connor; two sons, Robert C. and Leslie T. Francis III; and three grandchildren and a brother and sister.
Edwin Adams Gourley '41, whose varied and colorful career took him from the Amazon jungles to Mexico City and eventually Cape Cod, was born on August 25, 1918, in Boston, MA. The son of Edwin L. Gourley and the former Katherine Lenora Palm, "Bud" Gourley prepared for college at Phillips Exeter Academy and entered Hamilton from Wakefield, MA, in 1937. He joined Alpha Delta Phi, went out for football, and became a member of the Interfraternity Council in his senior year. Fascinated by flying, he also took part in the Civilian Pilot Training Program offered through the College. Credited with being a "connoisseur of the arts and rare old wine, expert horticulturist and bridge player, specialist in stunt flying'," he was described by the Hamiltonian as "one of the most versatile men in the class."
Shortly after leaving the Hill with his B.S. degree in 1941, Bud Gourley joined the U.S. Navy. Commissioned as an ensign and trained as a fighter pilot, he remained on active duty throughout World War II. Assigned to a carrier-based air group in the Pacific theater, he participated in the South Pacific island campaigns, flying torpedo planes off the carriers Yorktown and Belleau Wood. He left the Navy as a lieutenant commander and with a Bronze Star for valorous service.
After the war and back in Wakefield, Bud Gourley donned a darkroom apron when he and his first wife, the former Lucille DuPont, opened a photography studio. During the winter months they traveled to Cuba and South America to do airline publicity. In 1950, after ferrying a PBY Catalina sea plane to Brazil, he stayed on with a friend to journey 3,000 miles up the Amazon to its headwaters in the Andes. He subsequently settled in Rio de Janeiro as staff photographer for Life magazine in Brazil. His photography assignments took him twice more up the Amazon as well as to the Brazilian-Argentine pampas with the gauchos on an ostrich hunt. He also ventured into the Mato Grosso when the remains of the English explorer Percy Fawcett, who years earlier had mysteriously disappeared while seeking the Lost City of Gold, were found.
By the mid 1950s, Bud Gourley had taken up residence in Mexico City, where he continued as a stringer for Life while managing Gamma Productions and working on feature films and a TV series of Jack London stories. This led to his producing the animated "Rocky and Bullwinkle" series in Mexico, which became a major hit with U.S. audiences.
In the mid-1960s, after 15 years in Latin America, Bud Gourley returned to Massachusetts and settled on Cape Cod, where he managed his own real estate brokerage firm. However, he continued on occasion to take his camera abroad on trips into the Sahara desert and to South Africa on safari. His last employment before his retirement in 1980 was as proprietor of a sail boat dealership for Drascombe Longboats, an English firm.
While residing on the Cape in Centerville, Bud Gourley was actively engaged in community service, For more than 30 years he was a director of the Centerville Library and airport commissioner for the Barnstable Municipal Airport at Hyannis. He also made time for gardening.
Edwin A. "Bud" Gourley died on June 13, 2004, in Hyannisport. A four-time divorcé, he is survived by his son, Douglas A. Gourley '78, born of his second marriage, in 1952, to Josette Puthod.
Return to Top
An ear, nose, and throat specialist who practiced medicine in Utica, NY, for 43 years, was born on February 20, 1920, in Canandaigua, NY. A son of Leon W. and Cornelia Barringer Van Deusen, and descendant of a Dutch family who settled in America in 1628, he came to College Hill from Canandaigua Academy in 1937. While on the Hill, "Bud" Van Deusen lettered in both basketball and football, and was elected to Quadrangle and DT. A member of Psi Upsilon, he pursued premedical studies and earned his B.S. degree in 1941.
Bud Van Deusen went on to the University of Rochester School of Medicine and acquired his M.D. degree under an accelerated wartime Navy program in 1944. A year later, after interning at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, he went on active duty with the U.S. Navy Medical Corps. Wed to Muriel Ehrich on June 17, 1945, in Newark, NJ, he remained in uniform through the end of World War II, when he returned to Strong Memorial for a two-year residency in otolaryngology.
In 1948, Dr. Van Deusen established his practice in Utica. However, five years later, during the Korean conflict, he was recalled to active duty as a lieutenant (j.g.) by the Navy. He resumed his practice in Utica after 18 months, and served on the staff of Faxton Hospital. A member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology, he retired in 1991. In retirement, Bud Van Deusen, who had long enjoyed hunting, and had done so on trips to such far-distant places as Wyoming and Alaska, took special pleasure in gardening around his home in Deerfield, near Utica.
Hiram B. Van Deusen, a devoted alumnus who served his classmates as a reunion organizer and correspondent for this magazine, died at his home in Deerfield on July 13, 2005. Besides his second wife, the former Diane Hubley, whom he had married in 1971, he is survived by their daughter and son, Amy M. '01 and Mark B. Van Deusen. Also surviving are a son, Bruce Van Deusen, adopted during his first marriage, and two grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, two sisters, and two brothers.
Return to Top
A retired insurance agency owner, was born on December 15, 1918, to William G., a draftsman, and Jessie Bliss Baxter, in Troy, NY. He grew up in nearby Ballston Spa and was graduated in 1937 from Ballston Spa High School. Although he came to Hamilton with the Class of 1941, Bill Baxter, also known as "Bax," soon found himself a member of '42 and henceforth considered that to be his class.
A member of Psi Upsilon, Bill Baxter was drafted into the U.S Army in the spring of 1942, after the country had entered the Second World War. Assigned to the Air Corps and trained in advanced navigation, he was commissioned as an officer in 1944. With the 98th Bomb Group of the 15th Air Force based in southern Italy, he completed a score of missions as lead navigator aboard B-24 bombers attacking enemy installations. Cited for his expert navigation skills in assuring the success of the missions, he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for "extraordinary achievement in aerial flight" as well as the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters.
Lt. Baxter was back in the States being trained as an Air Force pilot when the war ended in 1945. He opted to leave military service rather than stay on for the obligated extra two years once he had completed training, and instead returned to College Hill in the summer of 1946. A year later, after completing his studies, he received one of the last B.S. degrees to be awarded by the College.
Bill Baxter went to work for the Glens Falls Insurance Co. immediately after graduation. He began at the "wholesale" end of the property and casualty insurance business as a special agent for that company and later for the Phoenix Insurance Co. of Hartford, CT. In 1965, he switched to the "retail" end by purchasing a local agency in Johnstown, NY, which became Fields & Baxter Insurance Co. It later became the Baxter Agency, and as president he operated it until his retirement in 1986.
Active in community affairs, Bill Baxter was a past president and longtime member of the board of the Johnstown Rotary Club and the YMCA. He was also a vestryman of Saint John's Episcopal Church and a volunteer driver for Meals on Wheels. An ever faithful alumnus, he was a former president of Hamilton's Northwestern New York Alumni Association. He also chaired the 40th and 50th Reunions of his class. In his later years he and his wife, the former Emily W. Madill, whom he had wed on October 7, 1950, in Chaumont, NY, spent increasing amounts of time at Lake Placid, where Bill enjoyed hunting and fishing as well as golfing.
William B. Baxter died on May 10, 2005, at his home in Johnstown. Predeceased by his wife in 2001, he is survived by two daughters, Elizabeth H. and Sarah M. Baxter; three sons, William M., David G., and Peter B. Baxter; and nine grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
A retired investment advisor, was born on August 16, 1921, to Brace Bennitt, a credit manager, and the former Ethel D. Cranson, in Wichita, KS. He grew up in New York City, where he was graduated from Newtown High School in Elmhurst, Queens, and came to College Hill in 1938 from Jackson Heights. On the Hill, Brace Bennitt, also known as "Ben," joined Chi Psi, played tennis, lettered in fencing and soccer, and sang in the Choir. Called the Chi Psi Lodge's "epee expert" and "soccer star," he was also dubbed its "headwaiter supreme."
Before acquiring his B.S. degree in 1942, Brace Bennitt enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserve. After his graduation and a short summer at his family's new home of Minneapolis, MN, he went on active duty with the Navy. Commissioned as an officer in 1943, he was assigned to destroyers, first in the Pacific from Guadalcanal to the Philippines, and, toward the end of World War II, on Atlantic convoy duty. His military decorations included a Purple Heart with oak leaf cluster and a Presidential Unit Citation.
Released from the Navy after the war's end in 1946, Brace Bennitt utilized the G.I. Bill to pursue graduate studies at the University of Minnesota. On August 29, 1947, he and Janet E. Thomas were married in Minneapolis. That same year he received his M.A. degree in finance and joined the Minneapolis-based investment firm of Piper, Jaffray & Hopwood as a sales representative. However, he was soon recalled to active duty by the Navy during the Korean conflict and served as executive officer on a destroyer from 1950 to 1952.
Brace Bennitt thereafter returned to his sales position with Piper, Jaffray. Made a partner in the firm in 1960, he became a vice president and director of its information services. He also became active in professional organizations and served as district governor of the Investment Bankers Association. He retired as a managing director of Piper, Jaffray in 1986. Subsequently, with his second wife, the former Susan Fredericks, whom he had wed in 1977, he maintained a financial planning practice for several years.
Brace Bennitt, who remained in the Naval Reserve until 1963 and attained the rank of commander, was active in Republican Party politics for a time. He and his wife Sue were also deeply involved in the Christian ministry of the Episcopal Church in Minnesota, with Brace serving as a trustee of the Diocese as well as a director of Episcopal Community Services, Inc., which presented him with its Distinguished Service Award in 1991. The Bennitts also found time for travel, including camping in the national parks, visits to Australia, New Zealand, and Tahiti, and a safari in Kenya. At home, besides singing along with his wife in the church choir, he enjoyed golf, bowling, skiing, and scuba diving until sidelined by a stroke. For more than a decade a stroke survivor, he volunteered in support of other survivors.
Brace Bennitt, a devoted alumnus, was residing in the Minneapolis suburb of Bloomington when he died on May 14, 2005. In addition to his wife, he is survived by two daughters from his first marriage, Judith Davis and Carolyn Trayte; a stepson, Mark Plummer; and four grandsons.
Return to Top
A public relations executive who served a term in the U.S. House of Representatives, was born on May 1, 1920, in Albany, NY. His parents were John D. and Mildred Campbell Davies. He was a grandson of John C. Davies, Class of 1876, who became attorney general of New York State, and a nephew of Harold I. Cross '13 and Theodore R. Davies '25. John Davies grew up in Camden, NY, was graduated from Camden High School, and came to the Hill in 1938, after a semester at the University of Alabama. He attended the College only briefly, withdrawing for reasons of health.
John Davies returned to his hometown and launched a weekly newspaper, the Camden Chronicle, before entering the public relations field in Albany and New York City. He was a partner in a public relations firm in Utica when local Democratic Party leaders tapped him to run for Congress in the then 35th District against the incumbent Republican. It was 1948, which turned out to be a pleasantly surprising year for Democrats, including President Truman, and 28-year-old John Davies won election to the 81st Congress by 138 votes. His sojourn in Washington turned out to be brief, however, for he was defeated in his reelection bid in 1950.
Later, John Davies took up permanent residence in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where he reportedly continued to be engaged in the public relations field. Only recently has the College obtained verification of his death on June 17, 2002. Several children, born of his marriage in 1941 to Bette Inman, from whom he had been long divorced, presumably survive.
Return to Top
A retired educator, was born on April 26, 1920, to Austin W. and Ruth Mable Deyo, in Binghamton, NY. He entered Hamilton from Binghamton Central High School in 1938 and pledged Delta Kappa Epsilon, but left the Hill after a semester. Interested in athletics, he transferred to Springfield College, where he was graduated in 1943.
Following military service in the Pacific theater during World War II, Robert Deyo, known as "Bud," returned to his hometown and found employment with the Binghamton School District. He retired after 37 years as a teacher, coach, and athletic administrator in 1983.
The College has recently verified Robert A. Deyo's death on October 21, 2002. He was a resident of Webster, NY, at the time. Predeceased by his wife, Dorothy King Deyo, he was survived by two sons, Andrew K. and Robert A. Deyo, Jr.; a daughter, Cynthia J. Baran; and four grandchildren.
Return to Top
A highly esteemed obstetrician and gynecologist who practiced in Binghamton, NY, for more than 30 years, was born on November 24, 1920, in Dunmore, PA. The son of J. Bert Watrous, an insurance agent, and the former Esther S. Wilson, a teacher, he grew up in Binghamton and came to Hamilton in 1938 from Binghamton Central High School. Although Joe Watrous pursued a highly demanding premedical course of study in which he excelled, he found time for a variety of campus activities. Besides lettering in soccer, he served as assistant business manager of student publications and managed the debate team in his senior year. The winner of declamation and debate contests, including the Head Prize Oration, he was elected to the forensic honorary Delta Sigma Rho as well as the journalism honorary Pi Delta Epsilon. A member of ELS, he received his B.S. degree Phi Beta Kappa and as head of his class in 1942, with honors in biology, chemistry, and public speaking.
Joe Watrous went on to Harvard Medical School under the U.S. Army's wartime Specialized Training Program. He acquired his M.D. degree in 1945. Following an abbreviated internship at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, NY, and after World War II had ended, he was called to active duty with the Army Medical Corps. He served for two years, including postings in the Philippines and Guam, and was released with the rank of captain in 1948. On September 4th of that year, he and Katharine S. Couper, the daughter of Edgar W. Couper '20 and sister of Richard W. Couper '44, were married in Binghamton.
Dr. Watrous undertook his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the Boston Lying-In Hospital and the Free Hospital for Women in Brookline, MA. He later became an assistant resident in obstetrics and gynecology at Bellevue Hospital and chief resident in gynecology at Roosevelt Hospital, both in New York City. After completing his training, he returned with his wife Kay to their hometown of Binghamton, where he established his private practice in 1951. Except for the period 1975-79, when he took a stab at general practice in the small town of Montrose, PA, Dr. Watrous continued as an ob-gyn specialist in Binghamton until his retirement in 1987.
During the course of his career, Joe Watrous delivered some 10,000 babies, always with pleasure and affection. Ever responsive to emergency calls and the needs of his patients, he developed warm relationships with them while on the staffs of Binghamton General Hospital and Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, where he chaired the obstetrics-gynecology department. Within his specialty, he assisted in some of the earliest work done in Boston on the treatment of "Rh babies," whose blood type is incompatible with that of their mothers, and he later introduced new blood transfusion techniques for such babies in Binghamton. Also greatly concerned about proper care for indigent patients, he was primarily responsible for the development of the DeMarillac Clinic at Lourdes Hospital. Since its founding, the clinic has taken care of thousands of pregnant women who have no insurance coverage and limited financial resources.
Dr. Watrous, a fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, was a devoutly religious man who read the Bible daily. He was active in the Episcopal church, which he served as vestryman and lay reader. In his retirement, he and Kay spent the better part of the year on their farm in Hallstead, PA, just south of Binghamton, where Joe Watrous, dressed in farm garb, enjoyed coaxing the land to produce. He found special pleasure in riding his horses through the countryside.
Joseph B. Watrous, an ever faithful alumnus, was residing in Hallstead when he died on March 6, 2005, following a 12-year illness devastating to mind and body. In addition to his devoted wife of 56 years, he is survived by three daughters, Janet C. K'72, Eleanor W., and Carolyn C. Watrous; two sons, Peter S.'73 and Charles C. Watrous; and five grandchildren.
Return to Top
A retired furniture buyer, was born on September 30, 1920, in New York City. The son of the well-known actor Sydney Greenstreet and the former Dorothy Ogden, he prepared for college at Berkshire School in Massachusetts and came to the Hill in 1939. A member of Chi Psi, he left Hamilton at the end of his freshman year.
John Greenstreet, who served in the U.S. Army during World War II, moved to Hollywood, CA, after the war to join his father and begin his career as a furniture buyer. In 1969, he relocated to Tucson, AZ, where he was employed by Levy's department store until his retirement in 1984. A tennis player in his younger years, he later became a golf enthusiast and winner of many trophies for his achievements on the fairway.
John O. Greenstreet was still residing in Tucson when he died on March 4, 2005. He is survived by his wife, Mary Cochran Greenstreet; a daughter and son, Gail H. and James O. Greenstreet; and three grandchildren and three stepsons.
Return to Top
Who practiced oral surgery in his native Auburn, NY, and later became a condominium developer in Florida, was born on March 1, 1922. The only child of Clifford S., a dentist, and Elizabeth Hamilton Simmonds, he entered Hamilton from Auburn High School in 1939. Bill Simmonds joined Delta Kappa Epsilon and played on the football team before leaving the Hill after three years to enter the Buffalo School of Dentistry. He received his D.D.S. degree under the U.S. Navy's World War II V-12 program and subsequently went on active duty as a Naval Reserve officer.
Wed to Madelynne Joyce Benn in 1944, Dr. Simmonds returned to Auburn after the war and went into private dental practice with his father. However, he was recalled to active duty as a Navy lieutenant (j.g.) during the Korean conflict. He subsequently trained as an oral surgeon and took a prominent role in the activities of dental societies. Within the community he served as president of the Auburn Jaycees and of the Owasco Country Club, where he was often seen on the golf links. In addition, he was an accomplished sail-boat racer.
Dr. Simmonds retired in 1985 and moved to Ft. Myers, FL. On nearby Sanibel Island he formed a development company that designed and constructed several condominium complexes as well as a golf course. He also developed the Westminster Golf Course in Lehigh Acres, FL.
William J. Simmonds died on May 11, 2005, in his hometown of Auburn. In addition to his wife of 61 years, he is survived by three sons, William S., Jr., Richard, and Robert Simmonds; two daughters, Debra Hulik and Jody Brinley; and nine grandchildren and a great-grandchild.
Return to Top
Known as Gerald Smith at Hamilton, a journalist who founded WLNG, one of eastern Long Island's most popular radio stations, was born on April 15, 1922, in New York City. The only child of Gerald C. and Clara Curtis Smith, he grew up in New York City and prepared for college at the Edgewood School in Connecticut. "Jerry" Smith entered Hamilton in 1939 and remained on the Hill for a year.
He thereafter returned to his native city and went to work for The New York Times, where he had earlier been a copyboy and part-time reporter. During World War II he served in the Merchant Marine and was employed as a war correspondent for the Reuters news agency. He was subsequently with the National Broadcasting Company for more than 30 years. His achievements included a Peabody award-winning documentary that was featured on Monitor, the NBC network's radio program.
Jerry Smith enjoyed spending time in Long Island's Sag Harbor, where he bought many old homes for renovation and resale. In 1963, he decided to launch a new radio station in that community, which became WLNG. When not on the air broadcasting, he enjoyed swimming off eastern Long Island's many beaches. To the end of his life he retained an inquisitive mind and the instincts of an inquiring reporter.
Fitzgerald C. Smith died on August 7, 2005, at a health care center in Twin Falls, ID, of complications from a stroke. He is survived by his wife of 45 years, the former Edith Beeson, as well as a daughter, Alexandra Taylor.
Return to Top
A former president of the Alumni Association and a highly esteemed trial attorney and onetime majority leader of the New Jersey State Assembly, was born on March 18, 1922, in Baltimore, MD. The son of William O., an insurance executive, and Jane Ann Krug Barnes, he grew up in New Jersey and came to Hamilton in 1940 from South Orange, where he had been graduated from Columbia High School. Bill Barnes joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, lettered in tennis and fencing, appeared in Charlatans productions, and was active in debate, winning the McKinney Prize Declamation. After his graduation in September 1943, accelerated by attendance at World War II summer sessions, he was called to active duty with the U.S. Navy and assigned to midshipman school at Notre Dame University.
Commissioned as an ensign, Bill Barnes served as a landing craft communications officer with the Atlantic fleet. Aboard an LCI (L), he took part in the D-Day invasion of Normandy, helping to put troops ashore on Omaha Beach. After 16 months with the amphibious forces in the European theater, Lt. (j.g.) Barnes returned to the States, where, on July 13, 1945, he and Marilyn L. Isenberg, his steady house-party date while at Hamilton, were married in South Orange.
Released from active duty in 1946, Bill Barnes entered Rutgers University School of Law. After obtaining his LL.B. degree in 1948 and admission to the bar a year later, he clerked for and was associated with Reynier J. Wortendyke, Jr., a distinguished trial attorney in Newark and future U.S. district court judge. In 1952, Bill Barnes established his own private practice in Newark, specializing in trial work. Beginning with the firm of Barnes & Hart, he ventured out on his own in 1954. By the 1980s, after two of his sons joined his one-man firm, it became Barnes & Barnes.
Early in his career, Bill Barnes began his involvement in politics as chairman of the Essex County Young Republicans Club and state chairman of the Young Republicans soon thereafter. In 1951, he was elected to the State Assembly as its youngest member at age 29. After an unsuccessful bid for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives a year later, he was reelected to the Assembly in 1953 and became its majority leader in 1955. His political career, although meteoric, proved brief, however. In 1955, he made his final bid for public office, unsuccessfully challenging the incumbent Republican for a seat in the State Senate.
Early on, Bill Barnes also took an active role in community affairs, chairing the South Orange March of Dimes and presiding over the Junior Chamber of Commerce. He later moved to West Branch, NJ, where he became president of the Board of Education. Statewide, he was a past president of the American Cancer Society of New Jersey (1965-66), which awarded him its Gold Medal for Distinguished Service. He also served on the state's Bicentennial Commission.
Professionally, Bill Barnes was highly regarded for the standards of excellence and integrity that he epitomized. A fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, he was also a founding member and former president of the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey and the recipient in 1977 of its Award for Distinguished Service. Colleagues described him as "one of the finest trial attorneys to ever practice in the State of New Jersey," and the high regard he enjoyed extended to New Jersey's Governors. Three of them offered him judgeships, which he declined. In addition, he served as president of the Rutgers Law School Alumni Association (1959-60) and as a trustee of Rutgers University (1962-69).
Beyond his legal practice and myriad civic and political endeavors, to all of which he lent his boundless enthusiasm and vigor, Bill Barnes found time for community theater, an interest catalyzed by his involvement with the Charlatans during his college days. He served as president of the Monmouth Players and wrote and directed more than 30 original musical comedies for local theater groups such as the North Long Branch Little Theatre. After retiring from his law practice in 1989 and moving to Venice and later Sarasota, FL, he continued his stage involvements with the Venice and Lemon Bay little theatres.
Bill Barnes was devoted to his family above all, but also to the law and public service, as well as the New York (later San Francisco) Giants, to which his commitment verged on the fanatical. He also maintained a strong loyalty to Hamilton. Besides serving as president of the Alumni Association (1969-70), he regularly attended reunions of his class and chaired its 25th in 1969.
William O. Barnes, Jr., died on April 18, 2005, at his home in Sarasota, where he had resided for the past 13 years. Predeceased by his wife in 1996, he is survived by four sons, William O. III, Patrick D., Timothy L., and Jefferson T. Barnes, as well as four grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. In Bill Barnes' memory, the family has requested that contributions be made to the Hamilton College Alumni Association.
Return to Top
A dentist who became chairman of the New York State Republican Party, was born on February 13, 1924, in Sauquoit, NY, not far from Clinton. A son of William M., an automobile mechanic, and Minnie Nicholas Kilbourn, he grew up in nearby Chadwicks and was graduated in 1941 from Chadwicks High School. He entered Hamilton that year as a commuter from his home in Chadwicks. After the end of his freshman year, however, he left the College to seek employment.
Called to military service in 1943, Bernie Kilbourn served for the remainder of World War II as a technician in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, assigned to the Aleutian Islands. After the war in 1946, he returned to College Hill for a year and a summer of study. A member of Squires, he withdrew from the College in 1947 to enter New York University's College of Dentistry. After acquiring his D.D.S. degree in 1951, during the Korean War, he was recalled to military service as a first lieutenant in the Army Dental Corps.
Released from the Army in 1953, Dr. Kilbourn established his dental practice in his hometown of Chadwicks. He soon became much involved with community organizations such as the United Fund, Boy Scouts of America, and the Sauquoit Rotary Club, of which he became president. He also engaged in political activity, becoming chairman of the Town of New Hartford Republican Committee and later party chairman of Oneida County. Respected within the party as an effective organizer, he was elected state chairman in 1977, in the aftermath of the long era of party domination by Governor Nelson Rockefeller.
Dr. Kilbourn, perceiving that the state party had become vitiated during that era, gave up his dental practice to devote full time to its revitalization. He restructured the party and, after its loss of the governorship to a Democrat (Hugh L. Carey) for the first time in 40 years, he focused on ambitious fund-raising efforts. In 1980, he helped run Ronald Reagan's state campaign for the presidency and was reelected as state party chairman. The following year, with ¬Reagan in the White House, Dr. Kilbourn was named regional director of the Department of Health and Human Services, a post he retained until the end of the Reagan administration in 1989.
That year, Bernie Kilbourn moved to Port Jervis, NY, where he devoted himself to the pursuits of painting and sculpting. He had earlier been much devoted to the sport of curling and served as president of the venerable Utica Curling Club as well as treasurer of the American Curling Foundation and secretary of the Grand National Curling Club of America.
Bernard M. Kilbourn died at his home in Port Jervis on June 29, 2005. In addition to his wife, Dorothy Stevens Kilbourn, he is survived by nine children and stepchildren, numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and a brother.
Return to Top
For almost 50 years a minister of the Reformed Church in America, was born on June 19, 1924, in Long Island City, Queens, NY. The son of Charles W., a construction superintendent, and Caroline Deutchmann Krahe, he grew up in New York City and was graduated first in his class in 1941 from Townsend Harris High School in Manhattan, to which he had commuted daily on the "El." Encouraged by the school's principal, a Hamilton alumnus, to apply to the College, Charlie Krahe came to the Hill that year and joined Tau Kappa Epsilon. Focusing primarily on his studies in those disruptive years of World War II, he earned the Benjamin Walworth Arnold Prize Scholarship, the Winchill Prize and Truax Prize Scholarship in Greek, and the Hawley Prize in Latin. He accelerated his graduation by attending summer sessions and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Awarded his diploma with high honors, including honors in Greek and history, in 1944, he was one of only 17 students to be graduated that year.
That same year, Charlie Krahe, who had felt a calling to the ministry since his early teens, entered the New Brunswick (NJ) Theological Seminary of the Reformed Church in America (also known as the Dutch Reformed Church). He obtained his B.D. degree and was ordained to the ministry in 1947. While serving a small congregation on Staten Island, he met Edith Rabassa. They were married there on June 19, 1948, the year the Rev. Charles Krahe began to supply the pulpit, preaching in both English and German, at St. Paul's Reformed Church in Perth Amboy, NJ. Asked to take over as pastor of the church in 1949, he remained in that post until 1969, when he accepted a call to the Sixth Reformed Church in Paterson, NJ. For 16 years until 1963, he also taught Greek and Hebrew part-time at the New Brunswick Theological Seminary.
Charles Krahe's final call came in 1980 fom the Seventh Reformed Church in Grand Rapids, MI. Although he formally retired by 1993, he continued to respond to calls on a supply basis. A former president of the Perth Amboy Ministers' Association and member of the board of the Reformed Church Home in Irvington, NJ, he was also for many years a trustee of Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, PA. In 1997, on the occasion of his Golden Jubilee in the ministry, he was awarded an honorary doctorate of divinity by Westminster. A chair in systematic theology was also endowed there in his name and honor. Two years earlier, during the 50th Reunion of his Hamilton class, he delivered the sermon at the Service of Remembrance. Entitled "Teach Us to Number Our Days," it is recalled by those in attendance for its moving power and passionate eloquence.
The Rev. Dr. Charles W. Krahe, a "convinced Calvinist" and very much a theological traditionalist, derived much spiritual satisfaction from his long career in the ministry. Grateful for "the Lord's mercies," he considered his life's work a "blessing." He died on April 18, 2005, following a brief illness, in Santa Fe, NM, where he had moved a year earlier to be near his daughter and sister. Predeceased by his wife in December 2004, he is survived by his daughter, Carrie Norris, and sister, Jean C. Mee. A son, Martin, predeceased him at the age of 18 in 1969.
In a tribute to Charles Krahe's memory, Banner of Truth magazine described him as follows: "A careful scholar blessed with great powers of understanding and recall, well trained and widely read, he was nonetheless known and loved for the warmth and simplicity of his preaching style." The publication added that his death "leaves a large vacancy in the ranks of the church militant."
Return to Top
A retired sales manager, was born on December 21, 1924, to Roy I., an attorney and banker, and Winifred Jones Beale, in Canandaigua, NY. Al Beale grew up in Rochester, NY, where he was graduated from Monroe High School, and arrived on College Hill in 1942. He joined Delta Kappa Epsilon and became a member of Hamilton's first intercollegiate swimming team. Drafted into the U.S. Army after only a year on the Hill, he was sent to Stanford University under the Army's World War II Special Training Program to study the Dutch and Malay languages in preparation for employment as a translator-interpreter in the Pacific theater. After his training was completed, however, his orders were changed, and in 1944 he found himself assigned to an infantry rifle platoon in Europe.
Al Beale took part in combat operations in the Ardennes Forest and the Battle of the Bulge through the Siegfried Line into Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany. Wounded by sniper fire and awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, he was discharged from the Army as a staff sergeant in early 1946, following a lengthy recovery. That spring he returned to College Hill to finish his studies. With credit for courses taken in military service, he completed his baccalaureate requirements in the summer of 1947. He was away pursuing graduate study when his diploma was conferred on him in absentia in 1948.
Wed in 1949 to Francoria Liljencrantz (the marriage would end in divorce in 1955), Al Beale obtained an M.B.A. degree from Stanford University that year. He subsequently embarked on a career in sales, first in California with Pacific Intermountain Express and later with Universal Rundle Corp. as its Western District sales manager. In 1961 he joined the new Arbrook surgical supplies division of Johnson & Johnson Co., resulting in several moves from Illinois to New Jersey to Texas as regional sales manager. He was director of sales administration when he left Arbrook in 1972 and returned to California and employment with Professional Medical Products Inc., as national accounts manager. He was still selling medical products when he retired from Chick Orthopedic Co. in 1985.
Al Beale retired to the "dream home" he had built earlier in Littleriver, along the coast near Mendocino, 150 miles north of San Francisco. There he became actively involved in community theater as well as the Mendocino Community Library, serving as its president. With his wife, the former Mary Lou Pfeffer, whom he had wed on February 22, 1957, in Alameda, he also enjoyed Elderhostel trips and extensive travel abroad. Their travels ranged from Baltic cruises to exploring Mayan ruins in Central America, piqued by Al's interest in geology and anthropology. His wife died in 1997, and the following year he and Margaret Voss were married.
In early 2005, the couple moved south to Santa Rosa, where Albert E. Beale, a devoted alumnus and former president of Northern California Alumni Association, died on May 12. In addition to his wife, he is survived by three daughters from his previous marriage, Catherine Justis, Elizabeth A. Beale, and Victoria Joines; two stepchildren; and three grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
A retired corporate communications specialist, was born February 25, 1927, to Robert W., a purchasing agent, and Marie Louise Beaulieu Sollinger, in Syracuse, NY. Bob Sollinger grew up in Syracuse, where he was graduated from Nottingham High School, and arrived at Hamilton in 1945. He became a member of Alpha Delta Phi and stage managed Charlatans productions. He completed four semesters of study on the Hill before leaving the College in 1949.
Bob Sollinger, who subsequently took courses at Fairfield University, began his career in corporate public relations and advertising in 1952 when he went to work for Motorola, Inc., in Chicago. There he became magazine editor on the company's public relations staff. In 1954, he left Chicago to return to Syracuse as a press relations specialist for General Electric Co. He moved on in 1963 to International Business Machines, where he worked in press relations, advertising, sales promotion, and communications planning. He retired from IBM in 1987. The recipient of several professional awards, including the prestigious Graphic Arts Award in 1968 and 1970, he also guest-lectured at Yale University School of Design and Syracuse University's Newhouse School of Journalism.
In retirement, Robert W. Sollinger continued to reside in Warwick, NY, near the New Jersey border, where he took pleasure in active involvement with the Warwick Historical Society. He died at his home in Warwick on May 29, 2005, leaving his wife, the former Shirley E. Weil, whom he had wed on July 5, 1952, in Penn Yan, NY. Also surviving are two sons, Robert W. III '75 and Mark A. Sollinger; three daughters, Sally M. Sandusky, Anne E. Murphy, and Joan P. Kaiser; and five grandchildren.
Return to Top