A retired computer systems analyst long employed by the Prudential Insurance Co., was born on October 3, 1928, in New York City. The son of William M., an engineer, and Isabel Strang Cooper, he prepared for college at Newark Academy and entered Hamilton in 1946 from Orange, NJ, where he had grown up. Bill Cooper joined Tau Kappa Epsilon and soon demonstrated his talent with a tennis racket as a member of the varsity team. An avid tennis and platform tennis player since boyhood, he captained the 1950 Continentals' team that compiled an 8-1 season's record, one of the best in Hamilton's tennis history. In 1959, he, with a longtime friend, James Gordon, would go on to capture the national platform tennis championship.
After his graduation in 1950, Bill Cooper returned to New Jersey and went to work as an assistant research analyst for Prudential in Newark. Married to Carol V. Lawson on September 22, 1956, in South Orange, he was subsequently promoted to electronic systems analyst in Prudential's planning and research division in Roseland, NJ. He continued to be employed by Prudential for 35 years until his retirement.
A resident of Chatham, NJ, since 1958, Bill Cooper remained active in retirement as an enthusiastic and dedicated member of the Chatham Emergency Squad. For 15 years a regular on its Friday crew but always willing to cover other shifts when needed, he also helped computerize the squad's records and assist in its other projects. For his contributions to the community through his work on the squad, he was honored with the Chatham Jaycees' Distinguished Service Award in 1999.
William M. Cooper, who had suffered a stroke in 2003, was residing in Maplewood, NJ, when he died in his sleep on March 1, 2005. In addition to his wife of 48 years, he is survived by a son, William M. Cooper IV '82, as well as a sister, Anne Marble.
Return to Top
A retired director of marketing for the American Telephone & Telegraph Co., was born on November 26, 1928, in Albany, NY. The only child of Richard W. Ellis, a general traffic engineer for the New York Telephone Co., and the former Viola I. Smyth, a school teacher, Dick Ellis attended Albany High School and prepared for college at Williston Academy in Massachusetts. He enrolled at Hamilton from Albany in 1946, joined Chi Psi, and contributed his extracurricular time to the Hamiltonian and radio station WHC. Majoring in music as well as English literature, he also sang in the Glee Club. Credited with being "rarely at a loss for words on any subject of conversation" and possessed of a sardonic wit, he was graduated with honors in music in 1950.
Two weeks later, North Korean military forces attacked their southern neighbor and the Korean conflict began. By September, Dick Ellis was in the U.S. Army, having enlisted for a three-year tour of duty. Released from military service as a staff sergeant in 1953, he returned home to find employ¬ment with New York Telephone, first in Albany and later in New York City and Niagara Falls, where he was traffic superintendent.
Married to Anne T. McGowan on September 1, 1956, in Troy, NY, Dick Ellis remained with New York Telephone for 12 years until he joined AT&T in New Jersey. He became marketing director of network services for AT&T Information Systems and retired in 1985.
Dick and Anne Ellis continued to reside in Madison, NJ, where he did some consulting and free-lance writing. Particularly concerned about improving the delivery of health care as well as biomedical ethics, he served as secretary of the Morristown Memorial Hospital's ethics committee and chaired the board of the Visiting Nurse Health Services and Visiting Nurse Service Systems. He was also a member of New Jersey Health Decisions, a group of citizen representatives. In addition, he served on the board of the Madison Area YMCA, chaired its planning committee, and played an active role in its capital campaign to build a new family center.
Richard B. Ellis, an ever-faithful alumnus who remained grateful to Hamilton for " a chance to grow up and learn to use what little mind God had chosen to give me," died at his home in Madison on April 17, 2005. In addition to his wife of 48 years, he is survived by a daughter, Anne W. Ellis.
Return to Top
An Episcopal priest who coped with blindness for the last 25 years of his life, grew up in Oneonta, NY, where he was born on December 18, 1928. The son of Damon Laurence Getman '22, a retail fuel dealer, and the former Julia E. Winsor, he was a nephew of Albert A. '11 and Herbert C. Getman '16. "Larry" Getman entered Hamilton from the Manlius School in 1946. He joined his father's and uncles' fraternity, Theta Delta Chi, and pursued studies on the Hill for two years.
Married in 1950 to June F. Gross, Larry Getman owned and operated the Hotel Kingsborough in Gloversville, NY, from 1948 to 1955. In 1957, after attending George Washington University for two years, he decided to take up a religious calling and enrolled in Virginia Theological Seminary. He received his licentiate in theology in 1960 and began his career in the Episcopal ministry as vicar of the Chapel of the Transfiguration in Silver Spring, MD. During the 1960s he became a civil rights activist and would remain a lifelong advocate for the rights of the disenfranchised and disabled. He was residing in Claremont, NH, at the time of his early retirement.
By the age of 50, Larry Getman had lost his sight, and a series of eye operations had failed to restore it. With the aid of a rigorous preparation program offered by the Carroll Center for the Blind in Newton, MA (which was affectingly recounted in an article in Reader's Digest), he learned not only to cope with his lack of sight but also to continue to lead an active life. He organized a group of his fellow blind to engage in such undertakings as bowling tournaments and cribbage competitions, and he was an ardent ham radio operator and gourmet cook. He also enjoyed skiing and was a member of the Vermont Ski and Sports Association's board.
The College has belatedly learned that the Rev. D. Laurence Getman, a resident of Concord, NH, during the last years of his life, died on September 15, 2003. In addition to his wife, he was survived by a daughter, Susan M. Getman; two sons, Laurence W. and Peter Getman; and seven grandchildren.
Return to Top
A real estate company executive, was born on November 24, 1929, to John T. and Helen King Clark Henderson, in Yonkers, NY. He prepared for college at Trinity School in Manhattan and enrolled at Hamilton from New York City in 1947. John Henderson joined Alpha Delta Phi and demonstrated his athleticism as a member of the varsity football and track teams during his time on the Hill. Following his freshman year, he left the College to enter the U.S. Navy. After a year in its submarine service he returned to Hamilton for three more semesters of study before again withdrawing in early 1952.
John Henderson thereafter went back to New York City, where he became a free-lance writer for radio and television programs and commercials. Among the radio shows for which he wrote scripts was "The Shadow." In 1955, he joined the Lynn Baker advertising agency as assistant director of its radio and TV department. Associated with N.W. Ayer & Son in Philadelphia, PA, from 1958 to 1964, he left that agency as a creative group supervisor to rejoin Lynn Baker in New York City as executive vice president. He concluded his career in advertising as an executive of Dancer-Fitzgerald-Sample.
In 1965, John Henderson and his family moved to a farm near Princeton, NJ, where he enjoyed the rural life in the company of cows and chickens, and especially horses. By 1973, tired of the long commute to Manhattan, he took over John T. Henderson Realtors, Inc., which had been founded in Princeton in 1953 by his father. With the assistance of his wife Peggy and daughter Jane, he expanded the business to include 12 real estate offices throughout central New Jersey. The Hendersons "rode the boom through the '80s and '90s" until 1998, when the company was sold. However, in 2001, they reentered the real estate field with a boutique business, the Princeton Real Estate Group. It quickly became a leader in the Princeton residential market.
When not savoring the bucolic life from atop his beloved John Deere tractor or spending family summers on Nantucket, John Henderson was an eager student of Scottish history and a collector of maritime paintings. Gifted with a lively sense of humor, he was ardently and proudly devoted to his family: his wife Peggy, the former Margaret Ann Harrison, whom he had married on September 26, 1959, in Brooklyn, NY, and his four children.
John T. Henderson, Jr., died on June 22, 2005, while hospitalized in New Brunswick, NJ. In addition to his wife, he is survived by his daughter, Jane Henderson Kenyon '83, wife of Kevin R. Kenyon '82; three sons, John T. III, Matthew C. '93, and Judson R. Henderson '96, husband of Christina McDermott Henderson '96; and six grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
Who practiced law for many years in Buffalo, NY, was born in that city on January 24, 1930. The son of Philip J., a salesman, and Mary Bartha Manz, he grew up in the Buffalo suburb of Kenmore and came to College Hill in 1947 from Kenmore High School. Dick Manz, who joined Theta Delta Chi and occasionally displayed his talent with the piano and ukulele, served on the staff of the humor magazine Royal Gaboon. He also participated in intramural sports and was a member of the Newman Club. He earned his diploma with honors in economics and psychology in 1951.
Thereafter, Dick Manz returned to his native city and entered the University of Buffalo Law School. Soon after receiving his LL.B. degree in 1954 he was recruited for the U.S. Army and served in uniform for two years, much of the time in Puerto Rico. There he worked in a base legal office, "solving Puerto Rican civil problems using New York State law." Back in Buffalo in 1956, he began his law practice with the firm of Jasen, Manz, Johnson & Bayger. In 1983, he relocated his practice to Kenmore, where he was associated with the firm of Hawthorne, Markarian, Siegel & Manz. After 1999, he scaled back his practice while continuing to serve clients out of his home office.
In 1969, the New York State Court of Appeals appointed Richard Manz as a legal assistant to the Board of Law Examiners. As a state bar examiner over the 36 ensuing years, he prepared questions for the examinations and graded well over 100,000 essay answers. With his customarily wry humor, he once attributed "my poor eyesight and mean disposition" to that experience.
Professionally active and a former director of the Erie County Bar Association, Dick Manz also participated in community affairs as a director and president of the Kenmore Rotary Club. In addition, he was a former commodore of the Niagara Sailing Club and secretary of the Park Country Club as well as a longtime member of St. Edmund's Parish Council in Tonawanda. A dedicated alumnus, he was also a past president of Hamilton's Western New York Alumni Association and assisted the College with its fund-raising activities. His leisure time was given over to golf, which he played, in his own estimation, "a lot, but not well."
Richard S. Manz died unexpectedly on March 19, 2005, at this home in Sarasota, FL. He leaves his wife, the former Rose Marie Drozdz, whom he had wed on January 9, 1960, in Buffalo. Also surviving are a daughter, Lisa A. Manz-Dulac '83; a son, Richard P. Manz; and five grandchildren.
Return to Top
A journalist who led a peripatetic life in pursuit of a remarkably cosmopolitan career, was born on February 19, 1930, in New York City. His parents were Carl H. Richter, a salesman, and the former Grace Duernberger. Bob Richter grew up in Yonkers, NY, where he was graduated from Roosevelt High School in 1947. He came to Hamilton that year, went out for lacrosse and the Choir, and joined the staff of the nascent Spectator. He later played a bit of soccer and contributed his talents to the Royal Gaboon. A member of Alpha Delta Phi, he spent his junior year at the Sorbonne in Paris, thanks to the help and encouragement of Dean Tolles and Professors Hamlin and Liedke. He came back to the Hill "worldly-wise and ever so Continental," ready to resume his role, in the Hamiltonian's words, "as Alpha Delt greeter and faculty charmer." He had also become "a Francophone Francophile for life."
In 1951, Bob Richter left the Hill with his diploma and a future in journalism in mind. After a year at Harvard Business School, however, he was sidetracked into the U.S. Navy, in which he served for three years, attaining the rank of lieutenant. After his release from the Navy in 1955, he resumed his graduate education at New York University, where he earned an M.A. degree in political science in 1957 and a Ph.D. in 1965. During those years he was employed as an editor and writer for Radio Free Europe and Business International. With a Fulbright grant to finish his Ph.D. dissertation, he was also able to realize his ambition to return to France, where he was enrolled at the Institut d'Etudes Politiques in Paris in 1963-64.
Bob Richter, whose journalistic writings had been published on both sides of the Atlantic, was later employed as a writer for the U.S. Information Agency in Washington and as an interpreter for the Department of State. What he deemed to be his "most significant job," assistant to the president of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, came next. Subsequently in Cairo, Egypt, in association with the AFL-CIO's international affairs division, he was later back in New York City with the United Nations Institute for Training and Research.
Through the years Bob Richter continued his free-lance writing and lecturing, as well as extensive travel. Besides visiting "godchildren all over the world," he spent considerable time during summers at his "casita" on Majorca. In 1980, he moved to the Washington area to become senior program officer for the African American Labor Institute, with special responsibility for education programs in North Africa. He also served as a research associate with the University of Maryland's Center for International Development. Based again in New York City in 1984, he continued to travel abroad, for professional reasons and for pleasure.
By 2003, Robert C. Richter, a faithful alumnus, had happily settled in at Crosslands, a retirement community in Kennett Square, PA. He died there on July 8, 2005. Unmarried and with no immediate survivors, he does, however, leave a host of devoted friends. Contributions to Hamilton's Annual Fund have been requested in Bob Richter's memory.
Return to Top
Who became an insurance company sales manager after a long career as an intelligence officer in the U.S. Navy, was born on April 15, 1929, in Montour Falls, NY. A son of George J., a gas station proprietor, and Margaret Fowler Van Buskirk, a teacher, he grew up in Odessa, near Montour Falls, and was graduated from Odessa Central School in 1947, the year he entered Hamilton. While on the Hill he played a variety of intramural sports for ELS as well as varsity lacrosse. Credited with "a mastery of the skins (Dixieland to dance)," he also played drums in the College Band. A member of the Intramural Council in his senior year and hailed by the Hamiltonian as "the most popular of ELS's seniors," he majored in education with the intention of teaching mathematics, and left the Hill with his diploma in 1951.
Soon thereafter, in expectation of an imminent call from his local draft board during that Korean War era, George Van Buskirk opted instead to join the Navy. It marked the beginning of a 27-year career in blue uniform. Commissioned as an officer, he served aboard a cruiser in the Mediterranean, followed by various tours of duty that took him from Britain to Japan, with numerous postings in Washington, DC, in between. Among them were assignments to the Defense Intelligence Agency in the Pentagon and as head of the electronic warfare intelligence department at the Navy's Scientific and Technical Intelligence Center. He was subsequently stationed in Puerto Rico as the assistant chief of staff for intelligence in the Navy's Caribbean Sea Frontier Command. While there, he earned an M.A. in educational administration from the Inter American University in 1973.
George Van Buskirk retired from the Navy as a commander in 1978 and settled the following year in Tampa, FL, where he became a field representative for United Services Life Companies. Promoted to regional manager for Central Florida, he developed into one of United Services' stellar sales representatives, earning membership in its "Top Club." He retired for a second and final time in 1995.
George Van Buskirk, who had never become jaded in his love of travel, despite his frequent naval postings overseas, continued to tour the world, often on Elderhostel trips with his wife, Barbara. When not far and away, they especially enjoyed "spoiling" their grandchildren. Fishing, a bit of tennis, strolling on the beach, and giving new restaurants a try were also favorite recreational activities for George.
A faithful alumnus who assisted the College with its fund-raising activities, George F. Van Buskirk died on June 13, 2005, at an assisted living facility in St. Petersburg, FL. His wife, the former Barbara M. Dillon, whom he had married on September 29, 1953, in Worcester, predeceased him in 2001. Surviving are a son, George F. Van Buskirk, Jr.; a daughter, Mary Margaret Van Buskirk; and two grandchildren and a brother.
Return to Top
A former hospital administrator, was born on August 2, 1931, in Ithaca, NY. His parents were Donald L. Finlayson, a professor at Cornell University, and the former Elizabeth Dinkey. Bob Finlayson prepared for college at Moses Brown School in Rhode Island and entered Cornell in 1949. Dissatisfied with his experiences there and believing that a smaller school would better suit him, he transferred to Hamilton after his freshman year. Soft-spoken and good-natured, he joined Alpha Delta Phi and became active in the Charlatans.
On August 15, 1953, soon after his graduation from Hamilton, Bob Finlayson was married to Edith R. Foote in Little Compton, RI. That same year he was called into military service. Released from the Army as a corporal in 1955, he returned to Ithaca and obtained a B.S. degree from Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration in 1958. After a year as assistant manager of a hotel in Decatur, IL, he began his career in hospital administration.
In subsequent years Bob Finlayson served as assistant director for non-professional services at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, MA, assistant director of Newington Hospital for Crippled Children in Connecticut, and assistant administrator of Waterbury Hospital, also in Connecticut. In 1968, he returned to Newington Children's Hospital as assistant administrator, a post that he held for five years. He later retired to North Carolina, where hiking in its mountains became his favorite pastime.
A resident of Morganton, NC, since the 1980s, Robert L. Finlayson died on February 27, 2005, of a heart attack. He is survived by his wife, the former Nancy E. Sechrist, whom he had wed in 1984. Also surviving are two sons from his first marriage, Robert L. Jr., and David W. Finlayson, as well as five grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and a sister. In addition, he leaves four stepchildren.
Return to Top
Former chairman and chief executive officer of the Bank of New York and chairman emeritus of the College's Board of Trustees, was born on February 7, 1933, in Utica, NY. The son of John V., Jr., operator of Utica's water company, and Edna Gunn Bacot, he came up the Hill from New Hartford Central School in 1951. Carter Bacot joined Delta Upsilon and was soon "an almost permanent fixture on the golf course," according to the Hamiltonian. Otherwise minimally engaged in extracurricular activities, he was already motivated by an underlying seriousness of purpose and determination that would fuel his future success.
Having no idea of what path he wished to pursue after his graduation as a political science major in 1955, as he recalled years later, J. Carter Bacot postponed an ultimate decision by going to law school. After obtaining his LL.B. degree from Cornell University in 1958 and two years of law practice with a small firm in his hometown of Utica, he conclusively decided that lawyering was not for him. In 1960, he opted instead to go to New York City and enter the financial field by joining the Bank of New York as a securities analyst.
Founded by Alexander Hamilton in 1784, the bank was the city's first and is today the oldest bank in the nation. When Carter Bacot began his career there, it was a traditional old-line institution, modest in size, stodgy in practice, and engaged primarily in the trust business and commercial lending. Under his dynamic leadership, the bank would be transformed. Promoted to vice president and head of the bank's investment research department in 1967, he became head of the personal trust department and assistant head of the trust division three years later. Named senior vice president in charge of investment research in 1972, he was elected president of the bank in 1974, the youngest in its long history. By 1979 he was president of the parent holding company, and in 1982 he was appointed chairman and chief executive officer of both the Bank of New York and the Bank of New York Co.
Strong-willed, hands-on, and with little hesitation in challenging the customary ways of doing things in the staid banking world, Carter Bacot brought aggressive leadership to the bank. Confronted with fierce, threatening competition, and taking advantage of the opportunities provided by banking deregulation, he rapidly expanded the bank through acquisitions. With a sharp eye for the bottom line, he also restructured the bank and made it cost-effective and highly profitable.
In 1987, Carter Bacot made his boldest move: a hostile takeover of the Irving Bank Corp., a $24 billion institution slightly larger than the Bank of New York itself. A takeover on that scale was virtually unprecedented in the banking industry. With unflinching determination, and despite fierce opposition and numerous roadblocks placed in the way, he persevered for more than a year until the merger was finally achieved, the largest bank merger up to that time. It resulted in creating the country's 12th largest bank with assets of $44 billion. By the time of Carter Bacot's retirement in 1998, it was globally dominant in securities servicing and processing, with assets of $60 billion and annual income of more than $1 billion.
Carter Bacot, imposingly tall and wryly witty, became a familiar figure on College Hill as well as in Manhattan's financial district. Named to Hamilton's Board as a charter trustee in 1974, he served as its chairman from 1990 to 1994. During those years he provided his customarily vigorous leadership in the College's successful efforts to strengthen itself financially while at the same time augmenting its physical facilities. The Campaign for the '90s, the most ambitious capital drive the College had ever launched up until then, was the crowning achievement of his stewardship, and it prepared Hamilton to confront the new century with confidence. Carter Bacot's devotion to the College was profound, and the expressions of that devotion took many forms, often tangible. They will prove long-enduring.
In addition to membership on numerous corporate boards, Carter Bacot served for 16 years on the board of the New York Philharmonic as well as that of Kimberly Academy, a private school attended by his daughters. He retired from the Bank of New York's Board in 2003 and was a life trustee of the College at the time of his death.
A longtime resident of Montclair, NJ, J. Carter Bacot died in his sleep at his home on April 7, 2005, of cardiac arrest. He leaves his wife, the former Shirley Schou, whom he had married on November 26, 1960, in Kensington, MD. Also surviving are two daughters, Elizabeth G. Bacot-Aigner '84 and Susan C. Bacot '88, and two grandsons. In memory of Carter Bacot, contributions to the Bacot Family Scholarship at Hamilton have been requested.
Return to Top
Professor emeritus of sociology at American University in Washington, DC, a Middle Eastern scholar, and an activist on behalf of the Palestinian cause, was born in Haifa, Palestine, on May 14, 1937. A son of Khalil and Marie Zalami Farsoun, he attended preparatory school in Beirut, Lebanon, and studied for a year at the American University in Beirut before coming to Hamilton as a special student in 1956. Initially interested in preparing for a career in engineering, "Sam" Farsoun earnestly and conscientiously pursued his studies with the benefit of scholarship aid. He also helped cover his expenses by serving as a waiter at his fraternity, Lambda Chi Alpha (later Gryphon), and working as a camp counselor during summers. Known for his great admiration for Egypt's President Gamal Abdel Nasser, he occasionally left campus to give speeches in the Utica area in an effort to promote greater understanding of Palestine and its people.
Given credit for his year of work at the American University in Beirut, Sam Farsoun was graduated as a physics and mathematics major in 1959. He went on to the University of Connecticut, where he received an M.A. degree in sociology in 1961 and a Ph.D. in 1971. He began his academic career as an instructor in sociology at Harpur College (now Binghamton University) and subsequently joined the faculty of American University in Washington. During his 30-year tenure there, he chaired the department of sociology for 11 years and founded the university's Arab Studies program. From 1997 to 1999, he served as founding dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the newly established American University of Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates. In 2004, the year after his retirement from American University in Washington, he was named founding dean of academic affairs as well as the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the newly established American University of Kuwait.
As a scholar, Samih Farsoun was the author or editor of six books on the sociology and politics of the Middle East, most notably Palestine and the Palestinians (1997), which was hailed by critics as "a unique source of valuable information about the people of Palestine." It was later published in an updated Arabic edition, and a newly revised edition in English was scheduled for publication this year. Works he edited include Arab Society: Continuity and Change (1985) and Iran: Political Culture in the Islamic Republic (1992).
In addition to his writings, including articles translated into several languages and columns in Arabic and English-language newspapers and journals, Dr. Farsoun lectured and commented widely in the media on Middle Eastern topics and events. His extensive organizational activities included founding member and president of the Association of Arab American University Graduates, founding member of the Arab Sociological Association, and founding fellow of the Middle East Studies Association. He was also an editor of Arab Studies Quarterly and a member of the advisory board of the London-based Holy Land Studies journal. Dedicated to "keeping alive the struggle to win justice for Palestine," he served on the boards of Partners for Peace (formerly the American Alliance for Palestinian Human Rights) and the Jerusalem Fund for Education and Community Development, both based in Washington, and the Trans-Arab Research Institute in Boston. He was also a member of the executive committee of the Washington-based Center for Policy Analysis on Palestine (now the Palestine Center).
Samih K. Farsoun, who had returned to his home in Washington after concluding his assignment in Kuwait in February, was visiting in New Buffalo, MI, when he was fatally stricken with a heart attack on June 9, 2005, while walking with his wife. In addition to his wife, Katha Kissman, he is survived by a daughter, Rouwayda Farsoun, an adoptee from the Palestinian refugee camp Tel Zatar in Lebanon, his brother David Farsoun, and sisters Regina Jabbour, Despina Farsoun and Samia Sabbagha.
Return to Top
A longtime administrator at the State University of New York, Oneonta, was born on April 26, 1938, in Frankfort, NY. The son of Joseph B. and Rose Fragale Nicolette, he grew up in Frankfort and was graduated from Frankfort High School in 1955 as salutatorian and president of his class. He came to College Hill that year, joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, and soon demonstrated his athleticism on the baseball diamond and football field. A first-rate outfielder and captain of the baseball team in his senior year, he was also an excellent quarterback and member of Hamilton's first and only undefeated football team, that of 1958. Known as much for his good sportsmanship and team spirit as his athletic skill, he was also active in the Newman and Spanish Clubs. He majored in mathematics and left the Hill with his diploma in 1959.
After a year in a General Electric Co. training program, Joe Nicolette decided that he preferred teaching. He obtained an appointment as a math teacher and coach at Ilion (NY) High School and, in addition, took courses in education at Utica College. In 1965, he earned an M.A. degree in school administration from Colgate University. On June 27 of that year, he was married to Sandra Jean Card in Ilion.
In 1966, Joe Nicolette left Ilion to become an admissions counselor at SUNY, Oneonta. It was the beginning of his long administrative career at that institution. Named director of financial aid in 1968, he acquired his doctorate in educational administration from SUNY, Albany, in 1974, and returned to Oneonta as associate dean of students. He was appointed associate dean for academic affairs in 1988 and briefly served as acting dean of liberal studies and of the science and social science division. He delayed his retirement after 27 years at Oneonta in 1993 to serve for six months as acting provost and vice president of academic affairs.
During his 35-year career in education, Joe Nicolette touched the lives of thousands of students as advisor, mentor, and friend. As an administrator he brought the team spirit he had evidenced at Hamilton to his relationships with faculty members and fellow administrators. A few years ago, Joe and Sandra Nicolette moved to Tempe, AZ, where Joe continued to pursue his passion for golf despite the loss of his left arm to cancer. Afflicted with the disease for 24 years, he nonetheless maintained an indomitable spirit, living his life to the fullest extent possible.
Joseph R. Nicolette's long and courageous battle ended in Scottsdale, AZ, on March 11, 2005. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a daughter, JoDean B. Nicolette; a son, John J. Nicolette; and two sisters and nieces and nephews, including Donald J. Oyer '77.
Return to Top