Professor of surgery emeritus at the State University of New York's Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, was born on March 4, 1941, in Owatonna, MN. A son of Paul M., later a professor of education at Syracuse University, and Juliette Roberts Halverson, he grew up in the Syracuse area and was graduated from Fayetteville-Manlius High School in 1959. He entered Hamilton that year and joined Chi Psi. A large, friendly presence on campus, John Halverson went out for the Glee Club and served on the staff of The Spectator as well as on the Chapel Board. Majoring in biology and encouraged and inspired by Professor Nicolas Gerold, he pursued premedical studies. He left College Hill with his diploma in 1963. On December 25 of that year, he and Chris A. Anderson were married in Fayetteville.
John Halverson returned to Syracuse, where he enrolled at what was then the Upstate Medical Center. After obtaining his M.D. degree in 1967, he served his internship and surgical residency at Barnes Hospital, affiliated with Washington University, in St. Louis, MO. In 1973, he left the residency to go on active duty with the U.S. Army Medical Corps. Following his discharge with the rank of major in 1975, Dr. Halverson returned to St. Louis when appointed to the surgical faculty of Washington University's School of Medicine. He was promoted from assistant to associate professor in 1981.
A fellow of the American College of Surgeons, Dr. Halverson gained rich experience in clinical bariatric surgery and carried out metabolic research in that field. President of the American Society of Bariatric Surgery (1985-87), he developed a specialty in the surgical correction of obesity and was the author of more than a score of journal articles on
Dr. Halverson returned to Syracuse in 1991, when he was named professor of surgery, chief of the division of general surgery, and director of the surgical residency at the then SUNY Health Science Center. He continued to be involved in teaching and research at the Upstate Medical University, as well as practicing surgery, until his retirement just three weeks before his death. In 2002, in recognition of his "outstanding achievement in medicine and medical research," he was named to Fayetteville-Manlius High School's Hall of Distinction.
John D. Halverson, a resident of the Syracuse suburb of Manlius and a loyal Hamiltonian, died on January 20, 2005. He is survived by his mother and his second wife, the former Patricia Heaton, whom he had wed on October 28, 1978, in St. Louis. Also surviving are a son and daughter by his first marriage, David E. Halverson and Julie C. Lynn; a daughter and son by his second marriage, Anne H. and James Halverson; and three granddaughters and a brother. An annual teaching day has been established at Upstate Medical University in Dr. Halverson's name and memory.
Return to Top
An attorney-at-law, was born on February 3, 1944, in Wilmington, NC. The elder son of Frank H. and Gethyn Poisson Lloyd, he grew up in Rochester, NY, where his father was a sales representative with the Eastman Kodak Co. He prepared for college at the Allendale School in Rochester and the Loomis School in Connecticut, and entered Hamilton in 1962. Interested in a variety of sports, including skiing and sailing, he lettered in hockey and swimming while on the Hill. A member of Theta Delta Chi, he majored in biology and left the Hill with his diploma in 1966.
That year, Frank Lloyd went on active duty with the U.S. Navy and became a fighter pilot. During the Vietnam War era he was assigned to Fighter Squadron 74 aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Forrestal. On July 11, 1969, he and Sandra A. Hawks were married in Rochester. After his release from the Navy as a lieutenant in 1972, he entered Albany Law School. In later years he credited his desire to become a lawyer to a philosophy seminar he took on the Hill with Professor Russell Blackwood, which impressed on him the power of argument and reason.
After acquiring his J.D. degree in 1975, Frank Lloyd joined the firm of Branch, Turner & Wise in Rochester. In 1982, he became of counsel to Dibble & Wright, also in Rochester, and a partner two years later in that firm. Beginning in 1990 he engaged in private practice in suburban Pittsford.
Devoted to outdoor activities throughout his life, Frank Lloyd enjoyed hunting and fishing as well as skiing. He also enjoyed a challenging game of squash.
Frank H. Lloyd, Jr., a resident of Pittsford, died on June 14, 2005. Besides his wife of 36 years, he is survived by a son, Justin H. Lloyd; a brother, John J. Lloyd '75; and a sister, Gethyn Soderman.
Return to Top
Who left a legacy as an activist on behalf of the disabled in Tompkins County, NY, was born on June 4, 1946, in Auburn. The son of Kenneth W., a dairy farmer, and Marion Voak Fellows, he grew up on his family's farm in Penn Yan, NY, where he became skilled at milking cows and cutting cabbage. Steve Fellows also developed a fondness for music and played the flute in school bands as well as the piano. In 1964 he entered Hamilton from Gorham Central School, where he had been president of his class. He majored in geology and was graduated in 1968.
The College has little information on Steve Fellows' subsequent activities except that he was married soon after graduation and helped his father with his dairy farm for a time. He later settled in Ithaca, where he served on the Vestry of St. John's Episcopal Church. Afflicted for many years with multiple sclerosis, he died on January 26, 2000, as recently verified by the College. Survivors include his wife, Marcia. In recognition of his activism on behalf of the disabled, Tompkins County established in his honor and memory the Steven Fellows Award, to be given to an individual or group similarly dedicated to that cause.
Return to Top