Morgan Claflin Johnson ’50, a retired manufacturers’ representative, was born on June 16, 1923, in Highland Park, MI. The son of Waldo M., an engineer, and Marie Bertch Johnson, he grew up in Grosse Ile, MI, but prepared for college at St. James School in Maryland. He subsequently took courses at the Georgia School of Technology and the University of Michigan. With his future plans put on temporary hold by World War II, he served during that conflict as a U.S. Navy Air Corps pilot. In the spring of 1946, following his release from the Navy as a lieutenant (j.g.), he came to College Hill and joined Alpha Delta Phi. With credit given for courses taken elsewhere, he was awarded his A.B. degree in 1949.
Married to Helen W. McKay on February 4, 1950, in Mystic, CT, Morgan Johnson took up residence in that state, where he began his business career as an assistant manager, industrial control, with the Arrow-Hart & Hegeman Electric Co. in Hartford. In 1956, the Johnsons moved to Owings Mills, MD, when Morgan joined Rowan Controller as vice president of sales. Six years later, they relocated to the West Coast where Morgan became a manufacturers’ representative in Newport Beach. In the late 1960s he established his own firm, the Morgan Johnson Co., which represented various manufacturers in the electric and electronic controls industry. He retired in the early 1990s.
Remarried in 1971, to Marion Cunniffe, Morgan Johnson resided on Emerald Bay, Laguna Beach, where he enjoyed sailing to Catalina Island, sail-racing to Ensenada, Mexico, and entertaining family and friends with backyard barbeques. He and Marion also enjoyed traveling to British Columbia to see friends and take in air shows.
Left a widower in 1985, and in ill health, Morgan Johnson relocated last year to Salem, VA, where he died on January 10, 2006. He is survived by three sons from his first marriage, Bruce, Brad, and Douglas Johnson; a stepson and stepdaughter, Peter Cunniffe and Lauren M. Cunniffe ’83; and six grandchildren, three step-grandchildren, and a sister.
Return to Top
John Sanford Warren ’50, a retired general sales manager, was born on January 22, 1928, in Rochester, NY. The son of Carl V. ’23, a distinguished public schools administrator, and Ruth Ferguson Warren, he was a nephew of Leonard C. Ferguson ’19 and Arthur E. Warren ’23. Following his graduation in 1945 from high school in Middletown, NY, where his father was superintendent of schools, John Warren entered the U.S. Navy Air Corps’ pilot training program. Soon released from the Navy, World War II having ended, he enrolled at Hamilton in the fall of 1946. He joined his father’s fraternity, Psi Upsilon, and, like him, became its house president. Noted by The Hamiltonian for his “spun-gold locks, misty blue eyes, and sharp wit,” he was also a talented athlete who excelled on the baseball diamond and as a quarter¬back on the gridiron.
On September 9, 1950, soon after his graduation, John Warren was married to Suzanne Davis in the College Chapel. Thereafter the couple began the first of many moves as John pursued his career in sales. He was employed in various capacities by American Seating Co., manufacturers of school equipment, over a period of 25 years, and became general sales manager for its transportation products division, headquartered in Grand Rapids, MI. In 1982, he retired from the company and moved to Southern California. There he managed the bus sales division of American Coach Sales of Los Angeles and Ontario Bus Industries of Canada until 1988.
In 1996, the Warrens moved back east from San Diego to Chardon, OH, where John became active in efforts on behalf of the elderly and served as president of the board of the Geauga County Department on Aging. His leisure time was devoted to reading, golfing, sailing, and bridge-playing with his wife.
John S. Warren died on January 14, 2006, while hospitalized in Cleveland, OH. Surviving are his wife of 55 years; two sons, David C. ’73 and Peter D. Warren; and four grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
Charles Edward Doran, Jr. ’51, a retired corporate treasurer, was born on March 31, 1928, in Hartford, CT. The elder son of Charles E., an insurance company manager, and Josephine Maher Doran, he grew up in Port Chester, NY, and attended Port Chester High School, where he became president of the Student Council. Following his graduation in 1945, he enrolled at Hamilton. He joined Chi Psi and the staff of Hamiltonews, and went out for fencing. It was shortly before varsity fencing ended with the retirement of its much admired veteran coach, Jean Gélas.
After a year on the Hill, Charlie Doran decided to “serve his time for Uncle Sam” by enlisting in the U.S. Navy. He completed a two-year hitch as an aviation electronics technician before returning to the College in 1948. At the Chi Psi Lodge he became pledge instructor and scholarship chairman, and academically his fondness for historical study was rewarded with the Darling Prize in American History. Highly regarded by Dean Tolles for his conscientiousness and “alert, inquisitive, and thorough mind,” he was graduated Phi Beta Kappa and with honors in history in 1951.
With thoughts of carving out a career in academe, Charles Doran went on to graduate study in history at Yale University. However, after acquiring his M.A. degree in 1952, he decided, for financial reasons, to explore business-world opportunities instead. He began as a trainee at Hartford-Connecticut Trust Co. in Hartford, but soon moved on to a training program at General Electric Co. In the ensuing years he was appointed by GE to various financial management positions, including credit and collection supervisor for International GE in New York City.
Married to Anne M. McGovern on May 18, 1957, in Mt. Kisco, NY, and residing in Armonk, Charlie Doran left GE in 1965 to become assistant treasurer for the Collins & Aikman Corp., textile manufacturers headquartered in Manhattan. Promoted to corporate treasurer in 1971, he remained with the company until his retirement in 1988. During those years he was active in various professional organizations and served on the advisory board of the Arkwright-Boston Insurance Co.
Charles E. Doran, an ever loyal and supportive alumnus, was residing in Somers, NY, when he died on February 1, 2006. In addition to his wife of 48 years, he is survived by two sons, Charles F. and John F. Doran ’86; a daughter, Pamela Doran Connor ’87; four grandchildren, a sister, and a brother; and nieces and nephews, including Richard F. Kadlick ’79. All of them fondly remember Charles Doran as a devoted family man and “a true gentleman in every sense of the word.”
Return to Top
William Robert Hutchison ’51, L.H.D. (Hon) ’91, the Charles Warren Research Professor of American Religious History at Harvard Divinity School and recognized as “the dean of American religious historians,” was born on May 21, 1930, in San Francisco, CA. His parents were Ralph C., a Presbyterian minister and college president, and Harriet Thompson Hutchison. “Bill” Hutchison entered Hamilton in 1947, following his graduation from Easton High School in Easton, PA, where his father was president of Lafayette College. He joined Delta Upsilon and soon distinguished himself in a variety of extracurricular activities as well as academics. He wrote a column for The Spectator, co-edited the humor magazine Royal Gaboon, played in the Band and sang in the Choir, and ran cross-country. He also served on the Student and Interfraternity Councils and chaired the Chapel Board, Campus Fund, and Publications Board. Elected to Was Los and the journalism honorary Pi Delta Upsilon, and a Fayerweather Prize scholar, he won the McKinney Prize Speaking Contest, the Cunningham Essay Prize, and the Pruyn Prize Oration. He was graduated Phi Beta Kappa and with honors in history and public speaking in 1951.
As a Fulbright scholar, Bill Hutchinson went on to Oxford University, where he earned a B.A. degree in modern history in 1953. That year, he returned to the States to begin graduate studies as a Coe Fellow at Yale University. He obtained his Ph.D. in American history in 1956 and, a year later, an M.A. from Oxford as well. His teaching career began in 1956 as an instructor in history at Hunter College. Two years later, he joined the faculty of the American University in Washington as an associate professor of American studies. Promoted to full professor in 1964, he established and chaired the American studies program in American’s School of International Service. He moved on to Harvard in 1968 when appointed as the Charles Warren Professor of the History of Religion in America, a post he would hold until 2000, when he was named research professor upon his retirement.
Over the ensuing years, Bill Hutchison received several Fulbright grants and lectureships in addition to a Guggenheim fellowship, and he did research and was a visiting lecturer in Europe as well as the Far East. At Harvard, he chaired the department of church history and spent five fruitful and satisfying years (1974-79) as master of Winthrop House, one of the University’s undergraduate houses.
Bill Hutchinson’s distinguished scholarship was already evident in his first book, The Transcendentalist Ministers: Church Reform in the New England Renaissance (1959). Based upon his doctoral dissertation, it won, in manuscript, the prestigious Brewer Prize from the American Society of Church History. He subsequently focused his research and writing on the history of American religious thought, becoming one of the leading authorities in that field. In particular, his works provided penetrating insight into the American Protestant past. They include American Protestant Thought: The Liberal Era (1968), The Modernist Impulse in American Protestantism (1976), which won the National Religious Book Award, and Errand to the World: American Protestant Thought and Foreign Missions (1987), which was hailed by John King Fairbank, the eminent historian of China, as establishing the basis for development of a new field within the realm of comparative world history.
In addition, Bill Hutchison coedited Missionary Ideologies in the Imperialist Era, 1880-1920 and Many are Chosen: Biblical Themes in Western Nationalist Movements, 1880-1920 (1994), and edited and co-authored Between the Times: The Travail of the Protestant Establishment in America, 1900-1960 (1989). His most recent path-breaking study, described as an “ambitious appraisal of American religious history,” was Religious Pluralism in America: The Contentious History of a Founding Ideal (2003).
Besides impressive scholarship that was also reflected in numerous journal articles, he trained dozens of graduate students who looked upon him as a much beloved mentor. Many of them have become distinguished scholars in their own right, and, in 2002, they established in his honor the William R. Hutchison Fund to support doctoral students in religion at Harvard.
The lanky Bill Hutchison, who, wearing a helmet and smoking a pipe, customarily commuted from his Cambridge home to the Harvard campus on a three-speed Schwinn bicycle, possessed a charming joviality that belied a serious-appearing countenance. With a wry wit and a weakness for bad puns as well as old vaudeville routines, he often enlivened his lectures “with carefully-prepared jokes, humorous asides, and song lyrics.” Those who were in the overflow audience for his Baccalaureate Address in the then new Wellin Hall at Hamilton in 1991 (on the weekend he received his honorary doctorate from the College) will recall his joyously informal and humor-filled “sermon” on “Pluralism and Belief.”
Bill Hutchison, who enjoyed mountain-climbing, camping, and cross-country skiing in his younger years, was also fond of tennis and playing handyman around his property in New Hampshire. He continued to have an interest in singing, most recently with the Chorus Pro Musica, and “put in a lot of time for the Quakers” as an active participant in the Cambridge Friends Meeting. In the words of his daughter Elizabeth, his Quakerism “was closely related to his lifelong interest in religion and pluralism, and his liberal political ideals — as well as his very intellectual approach to faith.” It is significant that Religious Pluralism in America, his last major work, was a chronicle of historical developments that gradually led America from mere tolerance of religious differences to actual acceptance of religious diversity, a “new pluralism” that he welcomed.
William R. Hutchison, an ever-faithful alumnus who credited Hamilton with making for him “the life of the mind” a seductive reality, died on December 16, 2005, of stomach cancer, while hospitalized in Boston. He is survived by his wife, the former Virginia (Ginny) Quay, whom he had married on August 16, 1952, in Princeton, NJ. Also surviving are a son, Joseph C. Hutchison ’78; three daughters, Catherine Winnie and Margaret S. and Elizabeth Q. Hutchison; and 10 grandchildren and a sister. Last January, in posthumous recognition of his lifetime accomplishments, the American Society of Church History (of which he was a former president) conferred on Dr. Hutchison its Distinguished Career Achievement Award.
Return to Top
Alan Hackney Milford ’51, for 40 years an industrial research chemist and production engineer with the Olin Corp., was born on March 5, 1929, in Johnstown, NY. A son of Robert M., a mechanical engineer, and Marguerite Hackney Milford, he attended Johnstown High School and arrived at Hamilton in the spring of 1946 at the age of 16, following a semester’s preparation at Worcester Academy in Massachusetts. However, amidst returning veterans of World War II who already easily conversed with Professor Otto Liedke in German, he quickly felt very young and lost. That fall, it helped prompt him to enlist in the U.S. Army. After a year and a half of experience with the occupation forces in Japan, he returned to College Hill.
Al Milford joined the newly established local fraternity Alpha Chi, and by 1950, as its president, he was much involved in its transition into a chapter of the national fraternity Delta Phi. Working closely with Dean Winton Tolles, whom he came to admire greatly, he played a key role in arduous struggles to bring the new fraternity to campus, becoming its founding president. In the meantime, he pursued premedical studies but, at the suggestion of Dean Tolles, took philosophy courses as well, for which he would remain ever grateful.
Al Milford left the Hill with his diploma in 1951 and settled in New Haven, CT, where he began his long employment with the Olin Corp., then Winchester Arms and later Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp. Having decided that medicine was not for him, he instead utilized his major in chemistry to good effect in the industrial field. Engaged for many years in research on explosives, propellants, and their application to ballistic systems, he later moved into water sanitation, directing research and development for Olin’s swimming pool chemical products. The holder of several patents in his own name, he retired in 1991.
In 1957, Al Milford and his wife, the former Dorothy M. Ellis, who were married on August 21, 1954, in Pittsfield, MA, took up residence in Hamden, CT. There he continued devotedly to play tennis and golf as well as demonstrate his talent for bread making. He also enjoyed playing the piano, listening to Dixieland and jazz, doting on his pets, and spending time at the family camp in the northern Adirondacks.
Alan W. Milford, a faithful alumnus and onetime regional chairman of the Alumni Fund, and, in the words of a Hamilton friend, “a remarkably versatile, accomplished, and worthwhile human being,” was still residing in Hamden when he died unexpectedly on February 18, 2006. In addition to his wife of 51 years, he is survived by three sons, Stephen A. ’77, Christopher A., and William F. Milford; a daughter, Pamela A. Milford; and eight grandchildren and a brother. They all remember him for “his ready smile, helping hand, open arms and boundless affection for his friends, and his enduring and unwavering love for his wife and children.”
Return to Top
Simon Ohanessian ’51, a physician who practiced in the Cleveland, OH, area for 30 years, was born into an Armenian Christian Orthodox family on November 5, 1929, in Baghdad, Iraq. A son of Ohannes, an accountant, and Maritza Konyoumdjian Ohanessian, he entered Hamilton in 1948 from Kirkuk, Iraq, as a “foreign student.” Granted sophomore status on the basis of work he had done at Baghdad College, “Si” Ohanessian joined Delta Kappa Epsilon and engaged in a variety of extracurricular activities while pursuing premedical studies. Besides participating in swimming, soccer, and track, he became an outstanding debater and president of the Debate Club. He won the McKinney Prize Debate and the coveted Clark Prize Oration, and was graduated in 1951 with honors in biology and public speaking.
Si Ohanessian went on to Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons, where he earned his M.D. degree in 1955. On June 4 of that year, before embarking on his internship at Philadelphia General Hospital, he was married in New York City to Cartha Jean Roy, a nurse. Called in 1957 to active duty with the U.S. Navy Medical Corps, Dr. Ohanessian served as chief of the medical department of the Naval Recruiting Station in Albany, NY. Released from the Navy with the rank of lieutenant commander in 1959, he completed his residency in internal medicine at the State University of New York’s Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse.
In 1962, Dr. Ohanessian settled in Chester Township, east of Cleveland. While maintaining a private practice specializing in cardiology in Chardon, he served on the medical staffs of several area hospitals, especially Geauga Community Hospital, where he was founder and director of the coronary care unit as well as the non-invasive cardiac laboratory. He retired in 1992.
Dr. Ohanessian, a fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American College of Cardiology, served as president of the Geauga County Cancer Society. He was also a charter member and past president of the Chardon Rotary Club and a member of St. Gregory of Narek Armenian Church in Richmond Heights. He was residing in Chardon at the time of his death.
Long afflicted with Parkinson’s disease, Simon Ohanessian, a faithful alumnus, died on June 19, 2006, at a health care center in Middlefield, OH. Predeceased three months earlier by his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Karen O’Sickey and Kimberly Schulz; a son, Michael Ohanessian; and five grandchildren and a brother.
Return to Top
Joseph Anthony Leistyna ’52, for 42 years a dedicated pediatrician concerned especially for children at risk, was born on February 26, 1931, in New York City. The son of Arthur Leistyna, also a physician, and the former Margaret Ann Maresh, he grew up in Ilion, NY. In 1948, Joe Leistyna was graduated from Ilion High School as valedictorian of his class. He entered Hamilton that year, determined to prepare for a future career in medicine. He joined ELS, went out for track, in which he lettered, and became active in the Camera Club (photography would remain his lifelong hobby) as well as the Chess and Debate clubs. Known for his “quick and ready wit” as well as his “nightly ukulele concerts” at ELS, he also excelled academically, winning the Holbrook Prize in Biology, and was graduated Phi Beta Kappa and with honors in chemistry and biology in 1952.
Joe Leistyna went on to the University of Rochester School of Medicine, where he acquired his M.D. degree in 1956. After a year as a pediatric intern at Grace-New Haven Hospital in Connecticut, he entered the U.S. Air Force for a three-year hitch as a medical officer. He was assigned to the Air Force hospital at Rhein-Main in Germany as chief of pediatric services. Released from the Air Force in 1960 with the rank of captain, he took up a residency at the University of Colorado Medical Center in Denver. In 1963, after a year as a clinical fellow in pediatric endocrinology at Children’s Hospital in Columbus, OH, he returned to central New York and established his private practice in Oneida.
While in Oneida, Dr. Leistyna began specializing in the care of developmentally and physically challenged children and young adults. He became medical director of Madison County’s physically handicapped program and pediatric consultant to the birth defects unit of Children’s Hospital in Utica. He was chief of pediatrics at Oneida City Hospital in 1972 when he relocated his practice to Culpeper, VA. There he chaired the department of pediatrics and family medicine at Culpeper Memorial Hospital while also serving as clinical assistant professor of pediatrics at the University of Virginia School of Medicine.
In 1975, Dr. Leistyna relocated once again when appointed as an assistant professor and director of pediatric ambulatory services at the University of Connecticut Health Center and School of Medicine in Farmington. While in Connecticut, he was also a consultant on child abuse to the state’s Department of Children and Youth Services and project pediatrician for the state’s Child Abuse and Neglect Demonstration Center in Hartford.
In 1979, Dr. Leistyna joined the staff of the University of Massachusetts Medical Center and School of Medicine in Worcester as an assistant professor of pediatrics. He later became an assistant professor in the department of psychiatry as well. During his years in Massachusetts he also served as medical director at Belchertown State School and director of medical support services in the department of psychiatry at Worcester State Hospital. Active on numerous professional committees and the recipient of fellowships as well as awards for his medical contributions, he concluded his highly active and productive career as medical director of the Western Carolina Center in Morganton, NC, beginning in 1991.
Joseph A. Leistyna moved back to Massachusetts upon his retirement in 1998. He was residing in Hatfield, near Amherst, when he died on January 6, 2006, following a long illness. He was predeceased in 1988 by his wife, the former Rita R. Geoffrion, whom he had wed on July 30, 1957, in Ilion. Surviving are three daughters, Lori M. Leistyna, Tracy A. Casey, and Kara M. Leistyna; two sons, Jeffrey A. and Joseph A. Leistyna, Jr.; and five grandchildren and a sister, Sylvia Lahvis, wife of W. Frederick Lahvis ’52.
Return to Top
Richard Maitland Wheeler ’53, a dentist who practiced in a small town in northern Michigan for 43 years, was born on March 31, 1931, in Toledo, OH. His parents were Richard L., a manufacturer’s representative, and Dorothy Schemenauer Wheeler. Dick Wheeler grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, where he was graduated from Farmington High School. He came east to Hamilton in 1949, his interest in the College having been kindled by Dr. Joseph J. Gadbow ’39. He joined Theta Delta Chi, played intramural sports, and, having majored in the sciences, left the Hill with his diploma in 1953.
After obtaining his D.D.S. degree from the University of Michigan School of Dentistry in 1957, Dick Wheeler established his practice in the resort community of Oscoda, along the shores of Lake Huron and at the mouth of the Ausable River. There he “played the part of oral plumber” until his retirement in 2000.
Active both professionally and in the community during his younger years, Dick Wheeler was a past president of the Northeastern Dental Society and member of the house of delegates of the Michigan Dental Association. He also served as president of the Oscoda Kiwanis Club and the Community Chest, and was a member of the board of education of the Oscoda Area Schools. A senior warden of St. John Episcopal Church, he coached a variety of Little League sports when his children were young. Fishing was one of his favorite pastimes since it afforded “fresh air with a minimum of stress.”
Richard M. Wheeler, seriously ill since suffering a stroke in early 2004, died at his home in Oscoda on March 25, 2006. He is survived by his wife, Marrianne Walker Wheeler, whom he had wed in Detroit in September 1957. Also surviving are two sons, Richard J. and Arthur M. Wheeler; a daughter, Diane L. Gary; and four grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
Richard Woodruff Beglin ’54, a retired associate professor of English at Pace University, where he taught for 37 years, was born on July 29, 1932, in Elizabeth, NJ. A son of Edward W., a county probation officer, and Carol Woodruff Beglin, he prepared for college at the Pingry School in Elizabeth and arrived on the Hill in 1950. He became a member of Sigma Phi, sang for four years in the Choir, and trouped with the Charlatans. Having majored in English literature, he was graduated in 1954.
Richard Beglin went on to Cornell University, where he earned an M.A. degree in speech and drama in 1956. A year earlier, he had begun his teaching career as an instructor in English at Sweet Briar College. Soon, however, his career was interrupted by military service. After two years in the U.S. Army’s enlisted ranks, he returned to Sweet Briar in 1958.
In 1960, Richard Beglin settled in New York City, where he served for a year as an administrative assistant at Pace College (later University) before joining its faculty. While at Pace, he was instrumental in developing and coordinating its English as a Second Language program, and he also helped develop Pace’s first interdisciplinary approach to teaching. In the classroom he demonstrated his mastery of 20th century American literature, his favorite subject. Outside of the University he was active in little-theater groups and did readings and recordings for the blind. He retired from Pace in 1997.
Upon his retirement, Richard Beglin and his life partner, David N. Berg, moved from New York City to Searsport, ME, where they became part of an active and hospitable community. They also spent considerable time in Nassau, in the Bahamas.
Richard W. Beglin died on July 26, 2006, in New York City, three days before his 74th birthday, following a long illness. In addition to his life partner, he is survived by a brother, retired New Jersey Superior Court Judge Edward W. Beglin, Jr., and a niece and a nephew.
Return to Top
George Arthur Padgett ’54, who retired as senior vice president and general counsel of the Lionel Corp. and went on to serve his New Jersey community as mayor, was born on February 17, 1932, in New York City. A son of Arthur S, general auditor of the Columbia Broadcasting System, and Marion Schramm Padgett, he grew up in Queens and prepared for college at St. Paul’s School in Garden City. He entered Hamilton in 1950. Swinging “a potent bat,” George Padgett lettered for four years in baseball and also played a variety of intramural sports. A member of Alpha Delta Phi, he served on the staff of The Hamiltonian and was graduated, having majored in political science, in 1954.
In September of that year, he went off to military service with the U.S. Army. Attached to the Counter-Intelligence Corps in Berlin, he remained in uniform for three years and was discharged with the rank of sergeant. Thereafter he enrolled in law school at Georgetown University, where he obtained his LL.B. degree in 1960. After a brief stint with the Washington, DC, law firm of Covington & Burling, he settled in New Jersey as an associate in the firm of Pitney, Hardin & Kipp in Newark.
In 1965, George Padgett began his long and distinguished career with the Lionel Corp. as assistant secretary and corporate counsel. Elected secretary of the model train and electronic parts manufacturer in 1970, he was appointed senior vice president and general counsel in 1983. At that time he was also named to Lionel’s board of directors. In the 1980s, when the corporation went through bankruptcy proceedings, he played a key role in its successful survival. He retired in 1993.
In 1986, George Padgett, who had previously commuted to work in Manhattan from Summit, NJ, took up residence in the New Jersey borough of Hopewell. There he began to get involved in community affairs and local Republican politics. He served on Hopewell’s planning and zoning boards, and, in 1992, he successfully ran for his first elective office as a member of the Hopewell Borough Council. Two years later, he was chosen mayor by the Council when the previous mayor resigned. Elected to the office the following year and reelected in 1999, he served two terms, retiring in 2003.
George Padgett, who considered his “dollar-a-year” public service his “payback” to the community, was a firm believer in sharing one’s success in life in some way with others. Highly appreciative of his Hamilton education, he “shared” with the College through generous support and service on the Alumni Council and as president of the Northern New Jersey Alumni Association, as well as participation in Hamilton’s fund-raising activities.
In 2003, George Padgett and his second wife, the former Ann Maloney Miller, whom he had wed in 1986, moved to Sarasota, FL. There they took full advantage of the many cultural opportunities the community offered, while George, a passionate golfer, modestly admitted that he still managed “a decent round from time to time.”
George A. Padgett died unexpectedly in Sarasota on December 29, 2005. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a daughter and son, Ann Johnson and James D. Padgett, born of his first marriage, on December 15, 1962, in Madison, NJ, to the late Jane Adams Padgett. Also surviving are a stepson and stepdaughter, Jeffrey J. and Molly C. Miller, and two granddaughters and a brother and sister.
Return to Top
Robin Gould Holloway ’55, who combined a career in management consulting with devotion to the performing arts, was born on May 10, 1933, in Madison, WI. The son of the Rev. William Rupert Holloway and the former Constance Violet Gould, both born in England. Robin Holloway grew up in Wichita, KS, where his father was called as a minister of the Unitarian Church. In 1949, the family moved to Dunkirk, NY. Two years later, having been graduated from Dunkirk High School, Robin came to Hamilton. With a strong interest in music, dramatics, and public speaking, he joined the Choir, the Charlatans, and the Debate Club, of which he became vice president. Elected to the forensic honorary Delta Sigma Rho, he also served on the Press Board and Chapel Board. In addition, he became house manager of Delta Phi and, with a passion and flair for statistics since boyhood, the College’s sports statistician. A recipient of the Tompkins Prize in Mathematics, he was awarded his degree with honors in public speaking in 1955.
That year, Robin Holloway began his working life in New York City as an actuarial trainee with the Equitable Life Assurance Society at a salary of $78 a week. Soon drafted into military service, he spent 3 1⁄2 years in the U.S. Navy, beginning in 1956. Commissioned as an ensign, he ended up with shore duty, running a school for radiomen. Following his discharge as a lieutenant (j.g.) in 1959, he returned to Equitable and continued employment as an actuary until 1970, when he left to join the management consulting firm of Towers, Perrin, Forster & Crosby, also in New York City.
Elected a principal and later a vice president and director of the firm, Robin Holloway specialized in helping major companies design, finance, and administer employee benefit programs. In 1984, after serving as chief actuary and manager of employee benefit practices for the firm in Chicago and later in New York City, he was appointed managing director of Towers Perrin’s international operations, in charge of more than 20 overseas offices. He held that post for six years until his retirement at the end of 1990.
In retirement, Robin Holloway fulfilled his lifelong love of opera by becoming chairman of the Berkshire Opera Company. So committed was he to its mission to offer the best opera during summers in the Berkshire Mountains of Massachusetts that he even doubled as the company’s publicity director. Previously a resident of New Jersey and Connecticut, he divided his later years between the Berkshires and Doylestown, PA, where he also exercised his commitment to the performing arts as a member of the board and treasurer of the nonprofit Bucks County Theatre, a motion picture house featuring foreign and independent films.
Robin G. Holloway, a very devoted and generous supporter of the College who assisted its fund-raising activities in numerous ways, died in Doylestown on March 8, 2006, of complications resulting from treatment for lymphoma. He is survived by his wife, the former Sharon Ann Malm, whom he had wed on May 29, 1956, in Denver, CO. Also surviving are two daughters, Heather Heverling and Carrie Uzelac, and four grandchildren.
Return to Top
Francis Osborne Richardson ’56, an educator and world traveler who, in retirement, pursued a second career as a dealer in Oriental rugs, was born Frank Raymond Richardson on May 2, 1934, in Jamaica, NY. A son of Frank A. and Catherine Osborne Richardson, he enrolled at Hamilton in 1952 from Pulaski, NY, where he had been graduated from Pulaski Academy and Central School. Frank Richardson, who joined ELS, became known to his fellow Emersonians as “a veritable verbal guillotine” for his razor-like wit. As for extracurricular activities, “if they didn’t bother him, he didn’t bother them,” in the words of The Hamiltonian. Having majored in English, he left the Hill with his diploma in 1956.
After Hamilton, Francis Richardson was briefly employed as a school librarian before entering the U.S. Army’s enlisted ranks for two years of military service. He subsequently strengthened his academic credentials by earning an M.A degree in English literature from Middlebury College in 1969. By that time he had already embarked upon a career in education, both in the classroom and in administration, first in New York State and eventually extending to international schools in Europe and the Middle East, including Saudi Arabia. He traveled extensively, and lived much abroad, absorbing diverse languages and cultures along the way. His special interest was Islamic culture, which he assiduously studied.
Some 25 years ago, Francis Richardson settled in Greenville, NY, not far from New York City, and, utilizing contacts he had made in the Middle East, engaged in the buying and selling of Oriental rugs. While “putting my feet up on my own hearth in the boonies,” he enjoyed music, reading, and his collection of Persian art. He was also fond of bicycling, gardening, and cooking.
Francis O. Richardson, who never lost his highly individualistic sense of humor nor his penchant for firmly expressing his conservative views, died on March 19, 2006, of heart-related causes, at his home in Greenville. Unmarried, he is survived by his brother, Robert O. Richardson ’61, as well as two sisters and nieces and nephews.
Return to Top
Michael Edward Pierce ’58, a longtime entrepreneur and community activist in Woodstock, VT, was born on May 2, 1936, in Mt. Kisco, NY. The son of Edward T., a lawyer, and Katherine Rogers Pierce, he grew up in Chappaqua, NY, where he was graduated in 1954 from Horace Greeley High School. Mike Pierce entered Hamilton that year and joined Theta Delta Chi. He became vice president of the chapter and took responsibility for its brindle boxer, the “noble and gregarious beast” Atlas. President of the Intramural Council and a member of Nous Onze, he majored in history and was graduated in 1958.
Wed on June 27, 1959, to Lowell B. Brook in Chappaqua (a marriage that would last for 15 years), Mike Pierce went to work as a sales representative for the American Can Co. in New York City. He continued in its employ in various locales for a decade, including several years in Chicago. He settled thereafter in Woodstock, where his entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to take risks, already evident in college, were given rein. He founded and served as president of Green Mountain Opportunities, Inc., a vehicle for his local enterprises, which included commercial real estate, a Sears Catalog store, and two restaurants.
Within the Woodstock community, Mike Pierce served as president of the Chamber of Commerce and as chairman of the board of the North Chapel Universalist Church. He was also a founder and director of the Hanover Bank & Trust Co. of New Hampshire. Genial by nature, and a man who made friends easily, he had a wide range of leisure-time interests that encompassed duck hunting and photography as well as basketball, bowling, and racket sports.
Afflicted for the past 12 years with Alzheimer’s disease, Michael E. Pierce died on March 31, 2006, at a nursing home in Hadley, MA. He is survived by two daughters, Heather Kelley and Arden L. Pierce; two sons, Brian E. and Joseph A. Pierce; and three grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
Jonathan Pierpoint Warner ’58, formerly a partner in an engineering company, was born on February 17, 1935, in New Haven, CT. A son of Alden Y., a manufacturing company executive, and Caroline Hunn Warner, he grew up in Farmington, CT, and prepared for college at Pomfret School. “Jip” Warner came to Hamilton in 1954 and joined Delta Kappa Epsilon. However, he left the Hill before the end of his freshman year and enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps. After two years on active duty, he was discharged as a corporal.
Married in 1961 to Anne N. Hawley, Jip Warner settled in Simsbury, CT, where he became a partner in Anderson & Warner Engineering Co., designers and installers of automatic sprinkling and septic systems as well as ¬general excavators. He was subsequently associated until his retirement with Walter Simmons & Sons in East Granby.
Jonathan P. Warner, long a resident of Simsbury, died on April 18, 2006. In addition to his wife of 44 years, he is survived by a son, Jonathan P. Warner, Jr.; a daughter, Elizabeth Mayer; five grandchildren; three brothers, including Seth C. Warner ’60; and nieces and nephews, including Seth C. Warner, Jr. ’85.
Return to Top
Michael Magzis ’59, owner and president of a small manufacturing company and a devoted alumnus, was born on March 30, 1937, to Max Magzis, also president of his own small company, and the former Frances Fuchs, in Brooklyn, NY. Mike Magzis grew up in Great Neck on Long Island and came to Hamilton in 1955, following his graduation from Great Neck High School. He became a member of Psi Upsilon and majored in history. Awarded the Darling Prize in American History, he was graduated in 1959.
Aided by a referral from President Robert W. McEwen, Michael Magzis landed a job in New York book publishing, in the art and production department of Farrar, Straus & Cudahy. Having become an editor, he remained in book publishing for 16 years, with Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., and later as a senior editor for Praeger Publishers.
In 1975, Michael Magzis left the publishing field to join his father in business as vice president and sales representative of Amity Notion Co. in Manhattan. He helped salvage the company, finally liquidated it in 1985, and then took a position with a competitor. In 1993, after six years as a group product manager for AGH Trimsource, Inc., a wholesale supplier of zippers, Velcro, and snaps, located in Manhattan’s garment district, he bought a small business of his own, Care Label Mfg. Corp., also serving the garment industry in Manhattan. As a result, he found himself “happier, more invigorated, and more focused than I’ve ever been,” enormously busy, but never bored.
Michael Magzis found relaxation in music and the arts in general. With his wife, Harriet Brent, a professional musician whom he had married in 1988, he took great advantage of the cultural opportunities New York City had to offer, especially music as “a ferocious listener.” He also enjoyed playing what he termed “B-level” tennis. He faithfully and enthusiastically supported Hamilton, becoming a highly effective free agent for the Annual Fund. He helped plan class reunions and was president of the Class of 1959 at the time of his death.
Michael Magzis died on August 20, 2006, in his native New York City, of complications resulting from lymphoma. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a daughter, Laura Beth Magzis, born of his first marriage, in 1964, to Joan M. DuMars. Also surviving are two stepsons and a sister.
Return to Top