A retired bank officer, was born on February 15, 1911, to Henry E., a physician, and Myra Martin Clarke, in Glens Falls, NY. He grew up in that village and was graduated from Glens Falls High School. In 1928, Bob Clarke enrolled at Hamilton and joined Theta Delta Chi. However, at the end of his sophomore year his parents withdrew him from the College in part because he was neglecting his studies by spending time reading all the books Alexander Woollcott regularly sent to Theta Delt as contributions to his old fraternity's library. He was sent to St. Stephens College (now Bard College), where he obtained his A.B. degree in 1932. Thereafter, he entered the banking field, becoming a trust officer of the Glens Falls National Bank. In 1940, he was married to Dorothea E. Benson. He was a trust officer at the First Bank and Trust Co. in Utica when, in 1943, he entered the U.S. Army. As an ordnance officer, he served through the end of World War II.
Discharged from the Army in 1946, Bob Clarke returned to his bank employment in Utica. Specializing in personal and pension trust banking, he later became a trust officer of the Grace National Bank in New York City. While there, he also took courses at Rutgers University's Graduate School of Banking and obtained an LL.B. degree from New York Law School in 1954. That year, he moved to California and joined the trust department of the United California Bank in Los Angeles. As a vice president, he was in charge of the bank's pension and profit-sharing trust division. He subsequently served as corporate secretary of the Trust Company of the West in Los Angeles until his retirement in 1986. In addition, he was a real estate broker and an arbitrator for the National Association of Security Dealers and the American Arbitration Association.
Robert S. Clarke, long a resident of Pasadena and a faithful alumnus, died on April 20, 2007, at the age of 96. He is survived by a son, Alan B. Clarke, and two grandchildren.
Henry Harcus Work '33, long prominent in the fields of child psychiatry and medical education, grew up in Buffalo, NY, where he was born on November 11, 1911. He was the younger son of Henry H., a banker, and Jeanette Harcus Work. Young Henry entered Hamilton in 1929, following his graduation from Buffalo's Bennett High School. Having observed as a child the medical ministrations to his older brother, who suffered from mental retardation, he decided to become a physician. On the Hill, he joined the Emerson Literary Society, as well as the Choir. He also managed the tennis team but devoted most of his abundant extracurricular energies to student publications as an editor of Hamilton Life and managing editor of the 1933 Hamiltonian. Elected to the journalism honorary Pi Delta Epsilon, he also excelled in his premedical studies, earning election to Phi Beta Kappa and graduation with honors in 1933.
Henry Work went on to Harvard University's School of Medicine, where he acquired his M.D. degree in 1937. After an internship at Children's Hospital in Boston, MA, and a six-month residency at the Emma P. Bradley Home in Providence, RI, specializing in children's neuropsychiatric disorders, he returned in 1940 to his native Buffalo to complete his training in pediatrics as a resident at that city's Children's Hospital. In 1942, his U.S. Army Reserve unit was called up for active duty during World War II, and because the Army had no great need for pediatricians, he was given a short course in military neuropsychiatry, thus becoming "a psychiatrist in six weeks," as he later recalled.
As part of the Allied occupation forces in Morocco in 1943, Dr. Work helped set up a military hospital in the former Italian Embassy in Casablanca. When his medical unit was ordered to Naples, following the invasion of Italy, he set up a hospital there. His patients included German prisoners of war who had been captured during the Anzio campaign. When the 23rd General Hospital moved on to Vittel, France, after that country's liberation, he continued to treat war casualties there. The Battle of the Bulge resulted in literally trainloads of casualties, many of them suffering from combat-induced psychiatric problems, later labeled as "post-traumatic stress disorder." With many medical resources lacking, they could be treated only with sedatives and talk therapy at the time.
Henry Work was released from the Army as a captain in the Medical Corps at the end of the war in 1945. The day he returned home, he proposed marriage to Virginia Codington, a nurse whom he had met while interning at Boston's Children's Hospital. They were wed on October 20, 1945, in Plainfield, NJ. That year, Dr. Work obtained a fellowship in child psychiatry at Cornell Medical School's New York Hospital and began his long and distinguished career in that field. In 1948, following another fellowship in child psychiatry, at the mental Health Hygiene Clinic in Louisville, KY, he began his parallel academic career as an associate in pediatrics and psychiatry at George Washington University in Washington, DC, while also serving as a psychiatric advisor to the U.S. Children's Bureau.
After a year, Dr. Work returned to Kentucky as an assistant professor of pediatrics and psychiatry at the University of Louisville. Promoted to associate professor, he left in 1955 for the West Coast to become an associate professor in the division of child psychiatry at the University of California, Los Angeles's School of Medicine. Concurrently serving on the faculty of the University's School of Public Health, he was promoted to a full professorship at UCLA in 1966 and named head of the division of child psychiatry, whose program he had developed. Besides serving as a consultant in psychiatry and attending psychiatrist at various hospitals, clinics, and children's homes, he contributed numerous articles to the medical literature.
In his practice, Dr. Work was a superb clinician who emphasized prevention and pioneered in family-centered child psychiatric care. He was among the first child psychiatrists to urge parents to develop a closer companionship with their children and to include parents and other family members in his treatment procedures. Rather than separating regular pediatric practice from that of child psychiatry, as was then the custom, he linked the two, emphasizing the importance of working with families, "putting everybody in the same room," in the words of Dr. Carolyn Robinowitz, president of the American Psychiatric Association, as recently quoted in The Washington Post. She credits him with bridging the then existing gap between pediatrics and child psychiatry by providing pediatricians with greater understanding of children's emotional development.
In 1972, Dr. Work, who had been president of the Southern California Psychiatric Society and acting chairman of the department of psychiatry at UCLA in 1968-70, left after 17 years to return to Washington as deputy medical director of the American Psychiatric Association, a post he would retain until his retirement in 1983. While in that post, he established the APA's Office of Professional Affairs. With appointments to the clinical faculties at George Washington and Georgetown Universities, he continued to teach into the 1990s. He also taught at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. A gifted teacher, he was a mentor to several generations of physicians who remember his quiet reserve and gentle humor, and his eagerness to help them along their professional way.
Henry Work's laid-back and self-effacing nature belied a remarkable energy and industriousness as well as strong determination. His active involvement in leadership positions with virtually all of the major national psychiatric organizations left a lasting imprint on his profession. Besides the American Psychiatric Association, he took a prominent role in the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He was for 15 years secretary-general of the American College of Psychiatrists, a founder and past chairman of the Society of Professors of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and a past president of the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry.
Over the years, Dr. Work received numerous awards for his professional contributions and achievements. Among them were the American Psychiatric Association's Agnes Purcell McGavin Award in 1984 for providing "important new knowledge about the psychological and physiological development in young people," and its Distinguished Service Award in 1997.
Henry Work, who resided in Bethesda, MD, became highly active in the Episcopal Church as well. He was a senior warden of St. Luke's in Bethesda and was appointed to the Washington Diocesan Commission on the Ministry. During the 1990s he served on the Standing Committee of the Diocese. A devoted member of the Cosmos Club and its longtime secretary and editor of its Bulletin, he very much enjoyed entertaining friends, including visitors from College Hill, over lunch or dinner at the Club located just off Dupont Circle. Clad in his habitual bow tie, he presided over those occasions with hospitable grace.
A past president of the Southern California Alumni Association, member of the Alumni Council, and energetic "sparkplug" of the Washington Alumni Association, Henry Work was an exceptionally devoted alumnus who retained his close ties to the College and his fellow alumni until the very end of his long life. As president of his class and class correspondent for this magazine for more than a quarter-century, he was in constant communication with the Hill, visiting it frequently and never failing to take an interest in the College and its well-being. His last gathering with many of his fellow Hamiltonians was in celebration of his 95th birthday in Bethesda last year.
Henry H. Work died at his home in Bethesda, of respiratory failure, on March 21, 2007. He is survived by his wife, Nancy Wasell Edelman Work, whom he had married in 1998, seven years after the death of his wife Virginia. Also surviving are four sons from his first marriage, Henry H. III, David C., William B., and Stuart R. Work, and four grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
For more than 30 years a public school science teacher, was born on May 2, 1911, in Passaic, NJ. He was the only son of John Daressa, a salesman, and the former Marietta Silvester. The name Daressa, originally D'Arezzo, was derived from the family's hometown of Arezzo, southeast of Florence in Italy. "Larry" Daressa grew up in Utica, NY, and was graduated from Utica Free Academy. He received appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, only to fall short of the Navy's height requirement by three-quarters of an inch. Instead, he enrolled at nearby Hamilton. As a commuting student, "the Little Napoleon" did not have the opportunity to participate much in campus activities, except for an occasional ad hoc game of bridge or chess. Following his graduation in 1934, he stayed on at Hamilton for a year to work with Professor Asa McKinney and earn an M.A. degree in chemistry.
Jobs being scarce in those Depression days, Larry Daressa found temporary employment as an attendant at Brooklyn State Hospital. He planned to take graduate courses in chemistry at New York University during his free time, but instead returned to Utica in 1936 when offered a teaching position at the Free Academy. He continued to teach chemistry at his old school until called into military service in 1942. Ironically, the Annapolis reject then obtained his commission as an officer in the Navy. Married on April 17, 1943, to Ruth Isabel Gray, also a teacher, in Utica, he continued on active duty through World War II, primarily engaged in flight school instruction.
Released from the Navy as a lieutenant commander at the end of 1945, Larry Daressa went back to teaching at Utica Free Academy. He remained on its faculty until 1958, when he moved to Port Jefferson on Long Island to take charge of the science programs at the Port Jefferson Schools. A past president of the Port Jefferson Teachers Association, he retired in 1973. That year, he and Isabel moved to the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, settling in the little town of Tryon near the South Carolina border. There, for nine years until her death in 1982, he devotedly cared for his wife, the victim of a crippling stroke.
Larry Daressa, a genially unpretentious and dapper man, remained remarkably vigorous, mentally and physically, well into his 90s. He continued to live independently, taking an active role in his retirement community, and still drove his car, even as far as College Hill for class reunions. He also enjoyed travel to Europe, and he visited his ancestral Italy several times, most recently at the age of 91 with his son. He avidly followed sports, especially basketball, had an extensive collection of classical music recordings, and art museums were always on his itinerary when he traveled. Ever appreciative of his Hamilton experience, he was a faithful and generous supporter of the College, and served for many years as a class agent for the Annual Fund and as class correspondent for this magazine.
Active and in good health until the end, Lawrence L. Daressa was still residing in Tryon when he died of a heart attack on September 8, 2007, at the age of 96. He is survived by a son Lawrence G. Daressa, and a sister, Isabel La Tourette.
Joseph Thomas Hopkins '37, a lawyer who practiced in Utica, NY, for 35 years, was born in that city on October 5, 1916. The only child of Joseph M., also a lawyer, and Elizabeth Murphy Hopkins, a city welfare department supervisor, he came up the Hill in 1933 from Utica Free Academy. Joe Hopkins played freshman soccer and varsity basketball, but his athletic talent was best demonstrated on the tennis court. A champion player on Hamilton's varsity squad, he served as its captain in his senior year. In addition, he knew his way around a pool table.
After earning his A.B. degree in 1937, Joe Hopkins taught physical education in the Utica Public School System after taking courses in that field at Cortland State Teachers' College. Inducted into the U.S. Army as a private in January 1941, he was commissioned as an officer in the Coast Artillery and served through the end of World War II in 1945. It included 13 months in the Galapagos Islands ("safest place then in the world," as he later recalled). On June 24, 1944, Lt. Hopkins was married in Utica to Eleanor L. Lennon, a school teacher.
Released from the Army as a captain, Joe Hopkins took advantage of the G.I. Bill to enroll at Albany Law School. After obtaining his LL.B. degree in 1948, he clerked for a U.S. District Court judge for a year before beginning his general practice in his hometown with the firm of Lee & Lockwood. In 1951, he joined the firm of Brown, Hubbard, Felt & Fuller, and was soon made a partner in what ultimately became Felt, Hubbard, Hopkins, Bach & Bogan. He retired in 1984.
Active in the Utica community through the years, Joe Hopkins served as vice chairman of the Utica Charter Commission, advocate for the Utica chapter of the Knights of Columbus, president of the Torch Club of Utica, and secretary of the Utica YMCA. He was also a former director of the Utica Kiwanis Club as well as the Oneida County Bar Association. In addition, he served as district vice president of the Eastern Lawn Tennis Association, having maintained his interest in the sport as an active player.
In 1982, Joe Hopkins' wife was tragically killed when their car was struck by another vehicle whose driver ran a red light. The following year, he and Mary Hoey Sullivan, a retired teacher and old friend who was also widowed, were married in Glens Falls, NY. The couple took up residence there, and they found great enjoyment in duplicate bridge competitions as well as playing tennis several times a week. Both national masters in contract bridge, they also competed in tennis tournaments. At the New York State Senior Games in 1985, they captured the mixed doubles title, and Joe, then in his 70th year, won the men's singles championship.
In 1986, Joe and Mary Hopkins moved to Longwood, FL. There they won medals in the Florida Golden Age Tennis Championship, and Joe became a contract bridge life master. Apart from what he termed his "glorious playboy activities," he labored weekly as a volunteer tutor, teaching reading and arithmetic in an adult education program. In his leisure moments, he was fond of composing verse, much of it humorous.
Joseph T. Hopkins, a devoted alumnus who last visited the Hill for the 60th Reunion of his class in 1997, died at his home in Mt. Dora, FL, northwest of Orlando, on May 8, 2007, at the age of 90. In addition to his wife, he is survived by three sons and a daughter from his first marriage, Joseph T., Jr., William F., James M., and Sheila Hopkins; a stepson, Dennis Sullivan; and nine grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
Professor emeritus at Case Western Reserve University's School of Medicine and a noted pathologist and much admired medical educator, was born on April 21, 1917, in Buffalo, NY. The son of John Harvey Carter, a corporation comptroller, and the former Gertrude Buckpitt, he grew up in the Buffalo suburb of Kenmore, where he was graduated from Kenmore High School. "Jack" Carter came to College Hill in 1935 and joined the Emerson Literary Society. While gaining initial experience in science as a premedical student, he also continued to cultivate his love of music by playing trumpet in the College Band and in Musical Art Society concerts. During his junior year, when a newly formed band led by a then obscure trombonist by the name of Glenn Miller played a one-night stand in the Utica area, Jack Carter was drafted to substitute for its sidelined second trumpeter. And he did so well that he continued to play with the Miller band for the next two summers.
Although also active in debate, Jack Carter devoted himself primarily to preparation for his future vocation. Excelling academically, he served as president of the Biology Club, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and received his B.S. degree with honors in biology in 1939. He went on to the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, where he obtained his M.D. degree with honors in 1943. On May 8 of that year, he and Adelaide W. Briggs were married in Kenmore.
In 1946, following an internship and residency in pathology at the University of Iowa Medical School, Dr. Carter went on active duty for a two-year tour as a lieutenant with the U.S. Navy and served as chief pathologist at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD. He subsequently returned to the University of Iowa and there received promotion through the academic ranks to full professor in 1955. In 1960, he left Iowa to become a professor and chairman of the department of pathology and oncology at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
Six years later, Dr. Carter moved on to what was then Western Reserve University, where he would chair its pathology department and serve as director of its Institute of Pathology from 1966 to 1981. Freed from administrative responsibilities in 1981 and named professor emeritus of pathology and orthopedics in 1987, he returned in later years to his favorite field, orthopaedic pathology, which he continued to teach and do research on until just a few years ago. During the course of his highly distinguished career, he contributed to the advancement of medical knowledge through more than a hundred published papers on blood coagulation as well as orthopaedic pathology. A past president of the American Association of Pathologists and Bacteriologists, he also helped establish the National Autopsy Data Bank, a major resource in providing valuable information for medical treatment. In addition, he was often called upon as a consultant and served on innumerable professional and governmental committees, many of which he chaired.
However, Jack Carter derived particular pride and satisfaction from his contributions to the training of young medical scientists, and among the many honors and accolades he received, he most cherished his teaching awards. As with all great teachers, he inspired his students to learn more. Generations of medical students and residents considered him a friend and mentor, fondly recalling his wit and humor and his "uncanny way of remembering everybody's name." They also recalled his treatment of "all people from professional colleagues to the Institute's cleaning staff with the same respect and humanity." When time in his exceedingly busy schedule permitted, he devoted it to fly fishing and, earlier in his life, to archery. And he never ceased to enjoy and appreciate music, from classical to big-band.
John R. Carter, a recipient of Hamilton's Alumni Achievement Award in 1995, died on August 26, 2007, at his home in the Cleveland suburb of Willoughby, at the age of 90. In addition to his wife of 64 years, he is survived by two daughters, Marilyn A. Thompson and Jeanne C. Halpern, and a granddaughter. Dr. Carter's name will live on at Case Western Reserve in the John R. Carter Award for Medical School Teaching, and nationally for his invaluable contributions to the advancement of surgical pathology.
Return to Top