Who spent a 31-year career in private school education, was born on December 22, 1928, in Buffalo, NY. A son of Mark C. and Alice Raiford Hagermen, he grew up on his parents' dairy farm near Towanda in northern Pennsylvania, and received his primary education in a rural two-room schoolhouse. He came to College Hill in 1946 from Towanda High School and joined the Squires Club. President of the club in his senior year as well as secretary of the Interfraternity Council, he helped cover his expenses as a waiter in Commons, where he also played piano duets with classmate Bob Markel, accompanying group sing-alongs after supper. With his "effusive supply of nervous energy," in the words of The Hamiltonian, he also lent his thespian talents to the title role in the Charlatans' production of Moliere's Le Malade Imagianaire. He was graduated in 1950 with honors in German.
Mark Hagerman intended to take graduate courses in German and prepare for a teaching career when, soon after he left the Hill, the Korean conflict broke out. He forestalled the draft by joining the U.S. Army and signing up for Officer Candidate School. As a second lieutenant, he served until 1953, when he was stationed in Korea during the final stages of the war. In 1958, after a stint of teaching at his old high school in Towanda and employment as a salesman, he joined the faculty of the newly formed middle school of Shady Side Academy in Pittsburgh, PA, where he became head of the English department. At the time, Alan McMillen '39 was the school's headmaster.
Mark Hagerman remained at Shady Side for 12 years. The recipient of an outstanding teacher award while there, he was administrative assistant to the headmaster when he left in 1970 to help establish the Forsyth County Day School, a new independent school outside of Winston-Salem, NC. With his academic credentials supplemented by an M.A. degree in English from Duquesne University in 1968, he became director of Forsyth's lower school and later its headmaster. He subsequently served as assistant headmaster and principal of the lower school of Charlotte Country Day School in Charlotte, NC, and concluded his career in 1989 at Coastal Academy in Myrtle Beach, SC.
In retirement, Mark Hagerman continued to reside in Myrtle Beach with his wife, the former Jean Ford, whom he had married in 1960. There he helped launch a homeowners association, which he served for five years as president, and was active in Trinity Episcopal Church as a member of its vestry and its adult choir. He also served as the church's music librarian and edited its monthly newsletter. Always possessed of an upbeat attitude toward life, despite its occasional disappointments, he took pleasure in reading as well as music, and in walking along the beach.
Mark D. Hagerman died on July 30, 2007, at his home in Myrtle Beach, of pancreatic cancer. In addition to his wife, he is survived by his adopted daughter, Dorothy Ann Hagerman.
Return to Top
A former general manager for the Aetna Life & Casualty Co., was born on February 6, 1927, to David A., an insurance broker, and Violet Fields Webster, in Astoria, Queens, NY. He grew up in New Jersey and, following his graduation from Teaneck High School in 1944, entered the U.S. Army. Commissioned as an infantry officer, he served in the Pacific theater during the final phase of World War II. After the war he was stationed in Korea in command of an infantry company.
Discharged in 1947 as a lieutenant, Dave Webster came to College Hill that summer from Teaneck. One of the many war veterans enrolled at Hamilton in those days, he joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, played varsity hockey, and was active in the Newman Club. On August 27, 1949, he and Joan R. Peterson were married in Teaneck. The newlyweds took up residence in Hamilton's North Village, and those temporary quarters built for GIs and their families remained their first home until Dave's graduation in 1950.
That year, Dave Webster went to work for what was then Aetna Casualty & Surety Co. in New York City, first as a field representative in its agency brokerage department and later as the department's assistant manager. In 1959, he was promoted to superintendent of the agency department in Aetna's Chicago office and subsequently appointed as its manager. In 1958, he was named an "Outstanding Insurance Man of the Year" by the New York City Board of Trade. In 1963, he took over the management of Aetna's new branch office in Aurora, IL, and in 1969, he was appointed general manager of its Atlanta, GA, office. Although having suffered a stroke in 1975, he continued to oversee the Georgia region for the insurance company until he went on long-term disability leave in 1978.
Over the years and in various places, Dave Webster was active in community affairs as well as in professional organizations. While residing in Paramus, NJ, he was president of the Paramus Junior Chamber of Commerce. In Illinois, he served on the board of directors of the Aurora Chamber of Commerce and as president of the Batavia PTA. In Atlanta, he was a member of the board of directors of the American Insurance Association in Georgia and of the Southeastern Insurance Information Institute.
Dave Webster, who, in retirement, continued to bask in Georgia's sunshine, enjoyed golf and gardening as well as a variety of hobbies such as photography. He also had a particular interest in American military history and read widely on the subject, from the War of 1812 and Civil War to the conflict in Korea.
David A. Webster, Jr., a constantly faithful alumnus, was residing on Vashon Island in Washington State when he died on July 11, 2007. In addition to his wife of 58 years, he is survived by two sons, David A. III and John Webster; two daughters, Kathleen Webster and Mary Marder; and eight grandchildren and two sisters.
Return to Top
A highly influential San Francisco, CA, business and community leader and a life trustee of the College, was born on June 26, 1929, to Samuel J., a stock broker, and Esther Schenker Kingsley, in New York City. He grew up in suburban Larchmont, prepared for college at Loomis School in Connecticut, and entered Hamilton in 1947. A clarinetist, Len Kingsley played in the Band, "trying to make an "H" at halftime with 11 musicians and two dogs," and also made use of his tennis racket. As president of Theta Delta Chi, he "kept the boys of TDX in line" through his congeniality and gentle persuasion. In addition, he served as president of the Interfraternity Council and as a member of the Student Council. The exceptional qualities of leadership that he demonstrated as an undergraduate would become a hallmark of his future career in business as well as in civic life.
Len Kingsley, following his graduation at the time of the Korean War in 1951, performed his two years of military service as a U.S. Army recruit. Married on June 16, 1953, to Sue J. Lipp in Indianapolis, IN, he thereafter pursued studies at Harvard Business School and earned his M.B.A. degree in 1955. Two years later, he was vice president of marketing for the Griswald Manufacturing Co. in Erie, PA, when he succumbed to an urge to move to San Francisco. With Sue, an infant son, a dog, and no job, he arrived in the City by the Bay. It was the beginning of his 50-year love affair with that seductive town.
After "walking the streets for three months," Len Kingsley finally found a job with a mutual fund management company. It was not long, however, before he began to perceive that, with California's population exploding, there was great opportunity in real estate investment. He therefore helped form a small real estate company, the Montgomery Development Corp., and two years later became its CEO. In 1964, he and associates founded Kingsley, Schreck, Wells & Reichling (later known as KSW Properties). It took over Montgomery Development, which was renamed Montgomery Capital Corp., and Len Kingsley chaired its board for many years. His investment group acquired various commercial properties on the West Coast and, having foreseen the future boom in San Francisco south of Market Street, he also built up a substantial portfolio of properties in that area.
In the meantime, beginning with his arrival in the city, Len Kingsley became engaged in its civic life. His initial involvement with a local community center led to an active role in helping to found the Big Brothers Association of San Francisco, a youth mentoring organization. He became its president as well as a member of the board of the Big Brothers of America. In 1968, San Francisco Mayor Joseph Alioto appointed him to the city's Human Rights Commission, which he chaired in 1971-72. During those years of flower children and Black Panthers, and great social unrest locally as well as nationally, Len Kingsley, acting as a mediator between community groups and business leaders, helped to spur funding for summer jobs and recreation programs for restless urban youth.
Known, in the words of the San Francisco Chronicle, "for his fiscal expertise and geniality as well as an ability to help organizations resolve tense political and financial situations," Len Kingsley also contributed much to the cultural life of the city. Named to the board of governors of the San Francisco Symphony Association in 1971, he served on it for 25 years, helping to negotiate labor dispute settlements and spearheading efforts to improve its performance hall acoustics. He also became president of the board of trustees of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco and is credited with success in stabilizing their finances.
In addition to membership on boards of numerous social agencies, Len Kingsley helped shape urban policy by chairing the San Francisco Foundation and serving as president of the San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association, whose Silver SPUR Award he received in 1981. He was also a member of the Mayor's Fiscal Advisory Committee and the advisory council of the School of Business, San Francisco State University, where, as a part-time faculty member, he taught courses in corporate social responsibility.
Through the years, Len Kingsley received numerous awards for his civic dedication. Named Big Brother of the Year in 1966, he was honored as Man of the Year in 1972 by the Council for Civic Unity, a civil rights organization. In 1987, he received the Coro Foundation's Outstanding Leadership Award, and was made a Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur by the French government for his promotion of cultural relations between France and the San Francisco community.
Len Kingsley brought his enthusiastic commitment and wise counsel to Hamilton's Board of Trustees when he was elected an alumni trustee in 1983. Named a charter trustee in 1988 and a life trustee in 1994, he was a devoted and generous supporter of his alma mater, and his benefactions included the Leonard and Sue J. Kingsley Prize Scholarship for students demonstrating "the potential for both significant academic achievement and community leadership."
In recent years, serving as "the grey-haired angel of start-ups," Len Kingsley enjoyed assisting young entrepreneurs in launching their own businesses. He found relaxation in playing clarinet with local jazz groups as well as tennis and golf. He remained active as a patron of the arts, and his commitment to promoting community betterment never waned. He once remarked that he had been taught community responsibility at Hamilton, and it was a lesson that he learned well and acted upon throughout his life.
Leonard E. Kingsley died in his beloved San Francisco on August 11, 2007, of prostate cancer. He is survived by his wife, Sylvia Morton Hunter Kingsley, whom he had married after the death of his first wife in 1989. Also surviving are a son and a daughter from his first marriage, Stephen E. Kingsley and Andrea Rippee, and four grandchildren.
Return to Top
An attorney-at-law, was born on September 14, 1930, in Albany, NY. The younger son of Jay Glenn Prescott '15, founder and owner of Oneida Markets, retail grocery stores, and the former Florence Spraker, Bill Prescott grew up in the capital district and came to Hamilton from Albany Academy in 1949. He joined Delta Upsilon and, customarily clad in Harris tweeds and wildly conservative in leanings, impressed his fraternity brothers as something of an iconoclast.
Following his graduation in 1953, Bill Prescott went back to Albany, where he enrolled at Albany Law School of Union University and acquired his LL.B. degree in 1956. The College has no information on his subsequent activities.
William S. Prescott, long a resident of Glenmont, NY, near Albany, died on June 5, 2007. Predeceased by his older brother, James G. Prescott '45, in 1981, he is survived by a nephew, Andrew W. Prescott.
Return to Top
A retired advertising sales manager and Birmingham, MI, civic leader, was born in Detroit on May 7, 1931. The son of Anthony E. and Phyllis Leatherbee Saunders, he was a great-nephew of Professor and Dean Arthur Percy Saunders, who taught chemistry at Hamilton in the decades before World War II. Bill Saunders grew up in the Detroit suburb of Birmingham, attended Cranbrook School in Bloomfield Hills, and prepared for college at Proctor Academy in New Hampshire. He entered Hamilton in 1949, became a member of Sigma Phi, and went out for football. He also played squash and, "fast on the cinders," lettered in track. In addition, he sang with the Glee Club and Choir, served on the Chapel Board, and, highly sociable himself, was social chairman of the Sig house.
Following his graduation in 1953, Bill Saunders joined the U.S. Marine Corps. Earning a commission, he remained in uniform for three years and served as an intelligence officer with the 3rd Marine Air Wing. On June 26, 1954, Lt. Saunders and his high school sweetheart, Salome B. (Sally) Selover, were married in Bloomfield Hills. Shortly before his release from the Marine Corps in 1956, he contracted polio, which turned out to be life-changing for him. He had intended to leave his hometown and seek employment elsewhere, but by the time he was out of intensive care, Sally had moved back to Birmingham to await the birth of their first child. After his recovery, he joined her and settled down in Birmingham with his growing family.
There, Bill Saunders found employment as an aluminum sales manager for Revere Copper & Brass, Inc., in Detroit. However, the job failed to challenge him, and in 1962 he left it to join Time Inc.'s Life magazine in advertising sales. It was the first of a series of publications for which he would sell ad space out of Detroit. When Life "went under" as a weekly, he took a new job as district manager for the McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. and its Medical World News. He concluded his 30-year ad sales career as the Detroit manager for Changing Times, the Kiplinger personal finance magazine.
Meanwhile, Bill Saunders had become involved in Birmingham's civic life. Appointed to the city's Board of Zoning Appeals in 1965, he served as a city commissioner for a decade beginning in 1966, and a term as mayor of Birmingham during the early 1970s. In addition, he chaired the city's Retirement Board and, for 20 years, the local cablecasting board. In 1975, he co-founded the Birmingham Racquet Club, a 1000-member organization utilizing annually an air-supported "bubble" roof to cover municipal tennis courts for winter play. His wife Sally successfully managed the indoor tennis club for many years.
Bill Saunders' interest in Birmingham and the preservation of its historical past led him to advocate municipal purchase of the Allen House, which became the city's historical museum. And his concern for the community's residents prompted his early support for construction of the Baldwin House, a downtown apartment building for low-income seniors, which provoked controversy in that affluent suburb during his tenure as mayor. Besides community service, he took pleasure in tennis and golf. A loyal alumnus highly supportive of Hamilton, he also assisted the College in various volunteer capacities.
Known for his outgoing personality and sunny outlook on life, William B. Saunders died on August 26, 2007, at his home in Beverly Hills, MI, near Birmingham, after a long battle with cancer. Besides his wife of 53 years, he is survived by two daughters, Margery C. and Lucy L. Saunders '81; a son, Frederick Anthony Saunders; and six grandchildren.
Return to Top
Professor emeritus of environmental engineering at the University of Cincinnati and a champion of clean water, was born on February 13, 1932, in Utica, NY. The son of Antonio Scarpino, a meat cutter, and the former Mary Lee, "Pat" Scarpino was a nephew of Vito S. '28 and Charles G. Lee '45. A graduate of Thomas R. Proctor High School in Utica, he followed his uncles to Hamilton in 1950. While on College Hill, he was active in the Debate Club and took part in productions of the Charlatans. After three years, he left the Hill and completed his undergraduate studies at Utica College of Syracuse University, earning his B.A. degree in 1955.
Pursuing an interest in microbiology, Pat Scarpino acquired an M.S. degree in that subject from Rutgers University in 1958. He stayed on there as a U.S. Public Health Service research assistant in its department of agricultural microbiology until 1961, when he was awarded his Ph.D. After two years as an assistant professor of biological sciences at Fairleigh Dickinson University, he joined the College of Engineering at the University of Cincinnati. Promoted to professor of environmental engineering in 1971, he was later given the added title of professor of environmental health.
With his strong background in microbiology, Dr. Scarpino became one of the pioneers in applying microbiological principles to solving environmental engineering problems. He specialized in water purification and waste water treatment as well as combating microbial pollutants in water and the air. According to his obituary in the Cincinnati Inquirer, his most recent work focused on "the use of antibiotics in agricultural practices and the resulting development of antibiotic resistant microorganisms."
Dr. Scarpino, a former chairman of the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission, was actively engaged for many years in addressing Ohio River Basin problems, such as assessing storm water and waste water, sewer overflow, and the monitoring of viruses. Credited with helping to ensure "that people in Greater Cincinnati — and others across the nation — have safe drinking water," he chaired the water subcommittee of the city's environmental task force as well as its environmental advisory council. As chairman of the local Citizens and Scientists for Safe Drinking Water, his work further contributed to successful efforts to combat microbial threats to Cincinnati's Ohio River drinking water supply. The recipient of numerous research grants and author of more than 65 research papers, Dr. Scarpino, through his scientific work and as chairman of the congressional task force on safe drinking water, aided in the passage of the federal Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974. In 2005, in recognition of his many contributions, the Ohio River Basin Consortium for Research and Education presented him with its Ohio River Keeper Award.
Pasquale V. Scarpino, who retired from the University of Cincinnati in 2003 after 40 years of teaching and research there, died on July 21, 2007, in a Cincinnati-area hospital. He is survived by his wife, the former Flora Jean Heid; three daughters, Andrea Scarpino, Kimberly Cooper, and Lin Lin Chen; and five grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
Whose varied career involved primarily the use of his pen as a writer and editor, was born on July 4, 1934, in Albany, NY. The elder son of Louis C. Jones '30, longtime director of the New York State Historical Association and a noted authority on American folk culture, and the former Hazel Williams, Pete Jones grew up in Cooperstown, where he was graduated from Cooperstown Central High School. He became an enthusiastic sailor at a young age, plying the waters of Otsego Lake, and once crewed in one of the America's Cup races. He followed his father to Hamilton in 1952, joined Theta Delta Chi, and soon found his niche in student publications.
Beginning with The Spectator in his freshman year, he went on from the Continental to The Hamiltonian, becoming its editor-in-chief in his senior year. He served on the Publications Board and was elected to the journalism honorary Pi Delta Upsilon. He also served on the student admissions committee and was a member of the sailing team and bowling club. An enlivener of many a house party, he overcame academic challenges, especially encounters with French, to earn his diploma in 1956.
Peter Jones thereafter entered the field of advertising as a copywriter, and was employed by four agencies in four years, all of which went out of business, as he later recalled. There followed a long period of free-lance multimedia work. While residing in Brooklyn and later in Trenton Falls, NY, he wrote screenplays for television and films as well as educational materials and business show scripts and catalogues. During the 1960s he was part owner and vice president for a time of Electronic History, Inc., an educational audiovisual company. Typical of the many "do-it-yourself" booklets he composed over the years, based upon his own bittersweet experiences as a house owner and restorer, was Electric Repair Made Easy. One of his educational film strips, on President Theodore Roosevelt, won for him a blue ribbon at the American Film Festival in 1966. Of all his writings, however, he took greatest pride in Rebel in the Night, a Revolutionary War novel, which took 10 years and encountered numerous rejection slips before its publication in 1971.
Peter Jones, whose later employment included technical writer and editor for Bell Laboratories in New Jersey, moved to that state some 20 years ago. Last year, he took up residence in Red Bank, where he died on June 26, 2007. A loyal alumnus, he is survived by his companion, Elaine Smith, and a son, Christopher Jones, born of his marriage, in 1960, to Pamela Siddall-Goertzen. Also surviving are a granddaughter as well as his brother, David Jones, and sister, Carol Loomis.
Return to Top
A retired business executive, was born on October 30, 1934, to Ambler Carver Pratt, a bowling alley manager who died when Don was a teenager, and the former Erva G. Sleeper, in Binghamton, NY. He grew up in Greene, north of Binghamton, where his mother ran the Greene Bowlodrome after her husband's death, with Don helping out as a pinsetter. Aided by scholarships, he came to College Hill following his graduation from Greene Central School in 1952 and joined Delta Upsilon. With his engaging personality, he soon became known on campus as "Hamilton's most complete and consistent gentleman," in the words of The Hamiltonian. Besides going out for football, he played varsity baseball, and also found time for bridge tournaments and especially bowling, in which he maintained an impressive 190 average.
Following his graduation in 1956, Don Pratt returned to Greene, where he went to work in sales for the Raymond Corp., a materials handling manufacturer, today primarily of electric lift trucks. Sent into the field, he honed his sales skills at dealerships in Chicago and Cleveland before going back to Greene as a member of Raymond's factory sales department. In 1966, when he was the company's national sales manager, he acquired the W.M. Anderson Co., an equipment distributor in Charlotte, NC. Renamed Carolina Handling, Inc., it became Raymond's Southeast dealership.
Under Don Pratt's direction and sparked by his work ethic and drive, Carolina Handling grew from five people working in an old gas station to a multimillion-dollar forklift dealership with more than 200 employees. In 1974, while remaining in its charge, he launched a company of his own, Multi-Shifter, Inc., which manufactures machinery to change and store batteries for electric forklifts. Today, under his son John's leadership, the company is one of four major manufacturers of such battery-handling equipment worldwide.
Don Pratt, who retired in 1989, continued to reside in Charlotte while retreating in winter to St. Croix in the Virgin Islands. There he enjoyed playing golf and tennis as well as spending time with his grandchildren at family get-togethers.
Donald S. Pratt, a generously supportive alumnus, died in Charlotte on June 3, 2007. He is survived by his wife, Gabriella Hoyt Pratt, whom he had married on November 21, 1962, in Greene. Also surviving are two sons, John R. and Elliot C. Pratt; a daughter, Betsy Pratt; and six grandchildren.
Return to Top
A highly regarded orthopaedic surgeon who practiced for 40 years in Passaic, NJ, was born on January 25, 1935, to Jack Roschelle, a fur manufacturer, and the former Helen Obstler, in New York City. Ira Roschelle grew up in the Bronx and prepared for college at the prestigious Stuyvesant High School in Manhattan, where he was elected class president. He came to College Hill in 1952 with a strong interest in the sciences, but wishing to broaden his education to encompass the liberal arts, he eventually majored in philosophy as well as chemistry.
Virtually excluded from campus social life in those latter days of fraternity discriminatory practices, Ira Roschelle instead became a highly active member of the Squires Club, the independent student organization. With an interest in photography that would last a lifetime, he was also active in the Camera Club. Handy with a slide rule, adept in the chemistry lab, and formidable in discussion and debate, he impressed the faculty with his "alert, inquisitive, and creative mind." Among the awards he earned were the Squires Prize in Philosophy and the Underwood Prize in Chemistry. Described by The Hamiltonian as having "inside his covering of formulae and equations… a warm friendly personality never refusing to do a favor," he accelerated his course of study and was graduated Phi Beta Kappa and with honors in chemistry after only three years in 1955.
Ira Roschelle went on to the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, where he acquired his M.D. degree in 1959. Following a surgical internship at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center and a residency in orthopaedic surgery at the Hospital for Joint Diseases in Manhattan, he established his private practice in Passaic. His practice was interrupted for two years during the Vietnam War era when he went on active duty as a lieutenant colonel with the U.S. Army Medical Corps. He served as director of general orthopaedic surgery at Valley Forge Army Hospital from 1969 to 1971, gaining considerable experience with trauma cases. Thereafter, ever attentive to his patients' concerns and needs, he continued to practice in Passaic, caring for people of all backgrounds and incomes, including multiple generations of families.
Dr. Roschelle, a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American College of Surgeons, served for many years as director of surgery and chief of orthopaedic surgery at Passaic General Hospital. Among the first in the country to do a total hip surgery, he specialized in joint replacement and helped develop hip and knee joint implants as well as new surgical techniques. At the peak of his career, he was credited with performing more knee and hip replacements than any other surgeon in the state. He also became involved in the orthopaedic residency program at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center in Paterson and, following a heart attack in the early 1990s leading to his retirement from medical practice, he continued to train future generations of surgeons as a member of its clinical teaching faculty. He also turned to a new career as an expert in legal cases involving medicine and product liability.
Dr. Roschelle's favorite leisure activities included sailing and scuba diving as well as photography and travel. He also enjoyed cooking and became a dedicated computer user. He was an enthusiastic supporter of organizations and efforts aimed at combating intolerance and discrimination, and in recent years he focused much of his attention and energies on the Ira A. Roschelle, M.D. Family Foundation, which makes charitable contributions "to enhance Jewish life, orthopaedic research and education." And despite having experienced discrimination as a student at Hamilton, he remained an ever faithful and generous supporter of the College.
Ira A. Roschelle, a resident of Montclair, NJ, died on September 15, 2007, of cardiac arrest. In addition to his "beloved partner," Donna Barthold, he is survived by a son and two daughters, Jeremy Roschelle, Karen Mengden, and Amy Roschelle, from his marriage in 1961 to Alice Arsham, which had ended in divorce. Also surviving are six grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
An innovative obstetrician and gynecologist who devotedly continued a family tradition of medical service in New York's North Country, was born on April 24, 1936, in Syracuse, NY. The son of Philip W. and Caroline Macartney Gorman, he grew up in Fort Covington, bordering on Canada and where his father and maternal grandfather had practiced medicine. He entered Hamilton in 1953 from Fort Covington High School, intent upon preparations for a future career as a medical practitioner, and joined Tau Kappa Epsilon. After "an inauspicious academic beginning" and a senior year of "all work and no play," according to The Hamiltonian, he earned his diploma on schedule in 1957. In the interim he had found time to play varsity hockey (he had been a member of his high school's state championship team) as well as run cross-country and play some lacrosse.
Accepted into medical school at McGill University, Dave Gorman crossed the Canadian border to Montréal, where he acquired his M.D. degree in 1961. He completed his internship and residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Germantown Hospital in Philadelphia, PA, and returned to the North Country in 1965 to engage in a medical practice that he maintained for 42 years until his death. Residing in Malone, he became chief of obstetrics and gynecology at Alice Hyde Memorial Hospital. He retained that position for 20 years until 1987, when he was temporarily sidelined by a heart attack.
After several coronary angioplasties, Dr. Gorman resumed his practice and served as chief of staff at what is now Alice Hyde Medical Center. He was its chief of surgery at the time of his death. Highly skilled, he performed oncologic and vaginal reconstruction surgery, and became the first physician to do advanced laparoscopic surgery as well as the first gynecologist to do laser surgery in Northern New York. In the operating room, his adherence to the practice of minimally invasive surgery was constant.
Familiarly known to his patients as "Doc," Dave Gorman, like his father and grandfather before him, also served the medical needs of the Mohawk Indians on the nearby St. Regis Reservation. Until his heart attack in 1987, he provided for their care at the reservation's small health clinic, and once even assisted in a home delivery on a kitchen table by the light of a kerosene lamp. His former close companion was Lorraine Montour, a Native American rights activist, and he too became an ardent proponent of that cause, as well as of women's rights.
Outside of his profession, Dr. Gorman warmly embraced an impressively wide range of sports activities, excelling in numerous competitive events. Through the years he had won national championships in no fewer than four unrelated sports: skeet shooting, field trials (with bird dogs), hydroplane racing, and sailboat racing. He was also an enthusiastic downhill skier, as well as a hunter, fly fisherman, and scuba diver, and enjoyed flying model airplanes.
David P. Gorman, who is remembered as "a lifelong learner with a fantastic sense of humor, who demonstrated a great passion for life," died on August 12, 2007, while hospitalized in New York City. He is survived by his wife, Dr. Judy Murphy-Gorman, and two daughters, Denise Lamitie and Valerie Dalton, and an adopted son, Philip Gorman, all from his first marriage when in medical school to Helen Brockway, which had ended after 18 years in divorce. Also surviving are stepchildren, grandchildren, and three sisters.
Return to Top
A lifelong resident of Utica, NY, was born in that city on November 24, 1937. A son of Philip J., a news agency manager, and Reatha Pennock Jetter, he prepared for college at the Manlius School, then a military academy, near Syracuse, and came to Hamilton in 1955 as a commuting student from Utica. On the Hill he gave evidences of excellent potential as a mathematician but struggled academically through four unhappy years. Awarded his diploma in 1959, he later attended Albany Law School but left without obtaining a degree. During the 1970s, Philip Jetter was the proprietor of Holidays, a card, gift, and candy shop on Oneida Square in Utica. Known for his kindly nature, he read avidly, wrote short stories in the fairy-tale genre, and was fond of following basketball.
After spending several years in a state hospital, Philip J. Jetter returned to Utica, where he died on June 26, 2007. He is survived by a sister, Binnie Hundley, and two brothers, James and Pennock Jetter.
Return to Top
A banker who in midlife took up a career in Florida real estate, was born on May 19, 1938, in Buffalo, NY. A son of Paul J., a corporation comptroller, and Evelyn Wells Kremer, he grew up in the Buffalo suburb of Eggertsville and was graduated from Amherst Central High School in Snyder. Paul Kremer came to College Hill in 1955 and joined Alpha Delta Phi. He lettered in soccer and golf, and was a member of the 1959 golf team that compiled a winning season of 6-2-2. In addition, he sang in the Choir while also serving as its concert manager. Married on January 24, 1959, during his senior year, to (Helen) Gail Hirsch in Buffalo, he left the Hill that June with his diploma and, in the words of The Hamiltonian, "as a mellowed Blatz drinker and an aspiring family man."
Paul Kremer stayed on for a year in Clinton to hold down an entry-level job at the Hayes National Bank. It marked the beginning of a highly successful 33-year career in banking. In 1960, he returned to Buffalo to join the Marine Midland Trust Co. of Western New York. Appointed assistant manager of its Lockport office in 1964, he was promoted to assistant vice president in 1968. He left Marine Midland as a vice president in 1974 to become vice president and senior lending officer at Manufacturers Hanover Trust Co., also in Buffalo. The following year, he was named senior vice president, and in 1979, he moved to the Albany area as president and chief executive officer of the bank's Capital Region operations.
While in the Buffalo area, Paul Kremer was very much involved in community service, and especially through activities with the Lockport Junior Chamber of Commerce, which named him "Outstanding Young Man of the Year" and presented him with its Distinguished Service Award in 1970. Besides serving as chairman of the board and treasurer of the Lockport Jaycees, he was treasurer of the Eastern Niagara United Appeal and active in the First Presbyterian Church as treasurer and first president of its Board of Deacons. He was also one of the founders of the Lockport junior hockey program, for which he coached and refereed.
In 1982, Paul Kremer and his family relocated to Clearwater, FL, where he continued his banking career for another decade as vice president for commercial lending at Pioneer Savings Bank and later as president and CEO of Sovereign Savings Bank in Palm Harbor. Thereafter, in light of unwelcome changes in the banking environment, he decided to give real estate a try as a licensed broker. As president of Mark IV Realty Co. in Ft. Myers, he became engaged in residential construction and development. His associate in the business was Catherine (Kay) Smith, who, some years after the end of his first marriage, became for him "the 'greatest significant other' partner in the world." He and Kay were wed in 2000, and they made their home in Palm Harbor.
Through the years, Paul Kremer remained an ardent golfer, maintaining a low handicap and winning several championships. Ever willing and eager to lend a helping hand to friends and neighbors, his generosity of spirit and means extended to his alma mater, and he was unfailing in his loyalty to and support of Hamilton. One of the expressions of his generosity is the Robert William Kremer Memorial Scholarship, named for his brother, who died at the age of 7.
Paul W. Kremer's long and determined battle with cancer ended on September 11, 2007. In addition to his wife, he is survived by two daughters and a son from his first marriage, Deborah L., Susan E., and David R. Kremer, as well as eight grandchildren.
Return to Top