Theron Timothy Holden '33, who worked in the field of photography throughout his entire career, was born on April 21, 1911, in Rochester, NY. His parents were Raleigh W. Holden, a banker, and the former Mabel Yeomans. "Tim" Holden grew up in Honeoye Falls, south of Rochester, where he was graduated in 1928 from high school, and prepared for college at Cazenovia Seminary. He entered Hamilton in 1929. A member of Tau Kappa Epsilon and already interested in photography while on the Hill, he played interclass baseball and hockey, and managed the cross-country and track teams during his senior year.
Following his graduation in 1933, Tim Holden returned to his native Rochester and enrolled in the two-year course in photography at Mechanics Institute, now Rochester Institute of Technology. Upon its completion, he began his lifelong employment with Graflex, Inc. (then Folmer Graflex Corp.), also in Rochester, answering letters of inquiry about the company's products. In that same year, on June 22, 1935, he and Alberta Rittenhouse, his regular house party date while at Hamilton, were married in Honeoye Falls.
During his many years at Graflex, long the country's major supplier of professional photographic equipment, and especially large-format cameras, Tim Holden worked in sales and services as a kind of liaison between the company and its customers. In that capacity, he attended the national photographic trade shows and became highly active in the Photographic Society of America. A fellow of the Society, he chaired its 800-member Rochester chapter and served as the national society's vice president for conventions (1951-55), in which capacity he completely reorganized the planning and operation of its trade shows. He later served as vice president for membership services.
Tim Holden, who was responsible for the coordination, development, and handling of company supplies for the U.S. Army during World War II, also became involved with programmed learning while at Graflex. He set up a nationwide network of dealers handling its programs and teaching machines. As technical products coordinator, he later engaged in photo product planning for the company, which encompassed everything from product conceptualizing and engineering production to packaging.
When Graflex, then a division of the Singer Co., went out of business in 1973, Tim Holden retired. Thereafter he undertook the development of a course on "The Mechanics of Photo Hardware," which he taught as a special lecturer at RIT's College of Photography. After 40 years, he had at last realized his ambition to become a teacher. Since no textbook was available for his highly technical course, he devised his own. He continued to teach the course for a decade.
While residing in Rochester, Tim Holden and his wife spent their summers 35 miles away at Honeoye Lake, where, with their own hands, they had built a family compound, consisting of two cottages, in the late 1940s. It continued to be their family's seasonal retreat for many years. Tim, who enjoyed cross-country skiing, liked the changing seasons and had no desire to flee to Florida for the winter.
In retirement, Tim Holden, long active in the United Methodist Church, also volunteered a morning a week at the George Eastman House (the Museum of Photography), helping to organize its collection of Graflex cameras, including the classic Speed Graphic press camera. By then he was considered the unofficial historian of Graflex, whose cameras had become fabled in photographic circles. A faithful alumnus, he also retained a lively interest in Hamilton throughout his long life.
Theron T. Holden, who had recently been residing in a nursing home, died on August 3, 2008, in his 98th year. Predeceased by his wife of 67 years, he is survived by three daughters, Donna Barratt, Trudi MeKeeby, and JoAnna Sheridan, and eight grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
Arthur Kermit Clark '38, involved with music during most of his working life, was born on October 11, 1916, in Utica, NY. A son of Frank J., a police officer, and Gladys Roberts Clark, "Kerm" followed his brother Frank, Jr. '37 to College Hill from Utica Free Academy in 1934. A dedicated musician with a "Rachmaninoff austerity about him when playing the piano," according to The Hamiltonian, he was active in the Musical Arts Society while on campus. A pianist since the age of 8, he had attended the Utica Conservatory of Music before coming to the Hill.
Soon after Kerm Clark's graduation in 1938, "the winds of war whisked me into defense work," as he later recalled. He was employed by Savage Arms in Utica, first as an inspector. However, a shortage of skilled manpower and especially of engineers led to his rapid promotion to "junior engineer" at the armaments plant. Working long hours, he helped put into production military weapons, such as machine guns, that would be needed after the United States entered World War II. Drafted into the Army in 1942, he served in the European theater, from Britain to North Africa and on to France and occupied Germany. Commissioned as an Infantry lieutenant while in France, he was discharged at the war's end in 1945.
With the assistance of Hamilton's placement service and alumni contacts, Kerm Clark began a career in retailing as an assistant buyer for the J.L. Hudson department store in Detroit, MI. He was a buyer in Hudson's music department when, on December 27, 1946, with his brother Frank as best man, he and Marion MacKenzie were wed in Detroit. During 10 years with Hudson, he gained considerable experience in merchandising musical instruments from harmonicas to grand pianos, and also saw the introduction of the electronic organ, in which he took a great interest. After leaving Detroit, he sold pianos and organs on the retail level for such companies as Wurlitzer and Thomas Organ before switching to the wholesale end of the business by joining the Baldwin Piano and Organ Co. in Cincinnati, OH. He became regional sales manager for Baldwin's organ division in the Midwest but was soon appointed district sales manager for the company in New England. He resided in Massachusetts and retired in 1980.
While living in retirement in Easthampton, Kerm Clark turned from selling pianos and organs to teaching people how to play them. He offered instruction a few days a week in his home and had some 30 students ranging in ages from 9 to 70. They appreciated his extraordinary patience with them and his obvious enjoyment of teaching. When not at the keyboard for personal pleasure or to teach, he spent as much time as possible playing golf, his other favorite activity. He continued to "walk the links" into his 90s. In addition, he was an ardent hobbyist who collected such things as antique padlocks and engaged in model railroading. A dedicated alumnus, he also visited the Hill frequently, assisted the College with its fund-raising activities, and served as president as well as reunion chairman of his class.
A. Kermit Clark, a former deacon of the Haydenville Congregational Church and one-time president of the Northampton Chamber of Commerce, died on August 1, 2008, while hospitalized in Northampton, at the age of 91. A widower since 1999, he is survived by two sons, John O. and Oren W. Clark, and five grandchildren as well as his brother Frank. Also surviving is his late-in-life close friend, Aurea Laplante, who often accompanied him on his recent visits to the Hill.
Return to Top
Charles Frederick Gleason '39, a retired automobile dealer, was born on January 8, 1917, to William J. and Marie Dowd Gleason, both teachers, in Newark, NJ. "Charlie" Gleason grew up in Cortland, NY, and was graduated in 1935 from Cortland High School. He came to College Hill that fall and joined Lambda Chi Alpha. Golf quickly became his primary extracurricular activity, and he proved adept at the game.
Following his graduation in 1939, Charlie Gleason made forays into the banking and business worlds before turning in 1940 to automobiles as a Pontiac salesman in his hometown of Cortland. Called into the U.S. Army in 1942, he obtained an officer's commission in the Quartermaster Corps and served in uniform for four years through the end of World War II. Discharged as a captain, he returned to Cortland and automobile sales. On November 13, 1948, he and Jane E. Costello, a teacher, were married in Scipio Center, NY. Their son, William T. Gleason, was born the following year.
In the mid-1950s, Charles Gleason became a partner in a new auto dealership, Parker-Gleason, Inc., in Homer, near Cortland. He continued active in the business, selling Buicks and Pontiacs, for some 25 years until the dealership was sold and he retired to enjoy more golfing. A past president of the Cortland Country Club as well as the Cortland County Auto Dealers Association, he took to the links almost every day, weather permitting. His winters were spent in Tarpon Springs, FL, where golfing was seldom interrupted by bad weather.
Charles F. Gleason, a faithful alumnus who had continued to reside in the Cortland area, died on March 16, 2008, at the age of 91. Predeceased by his wife of 50 years, he is survived by his son, two grandchildren, and a sister.
Return to Top
Donald Earl Lennon '39, who practiced dentistry for 35 years in New Berlin, NY, was born in New York City on December 22, 1917. As an infant, Don Lennon moved with his parents, Benjamin H., an egg and poultry buyer, and Margaret Sproule Lennon, a teacher, to the New Berlin area, south of Utica, where he grew up. He entered Hamilton from New Berlin High School in 1935 and joined Lambda Chi Alpha. Majoring in the sciences, he earned his B.S. degree in 1939.
A week later, Don Lennon went to work for what later became Kraft Foods Co., as an assistant chemist. While residing in New Berlin, he remained with Kraft at its plant in nearby South Edmeston until 1942, when, thanks to an irresistible invitation from his local draft board, he was inducted into the U.S. Army. Commissioned as an officer in the Signal Corps, he served for over three years through the end of World War II. As a first lieutenant, he saw action in North Africa and the Sicilian and Italian campaigns, and was awarded the Silver Star.
After his discharge in 1946, Don Lennon returned to Kraft as a plant chemist. On August 17 of that year, in Edmeston, he was married to (Mabel) Louise Anderson. Having decided on a career change, he opted for dentistry and enrolled at the University of Buffalo, where he obtained his D.D.S. degree in 1952. He established his general practice in his hometown, which he maintained until his retirement in 1987. During those years he was the only dentist practicing in New Berlin. In retirement, he enjoyed more time with his family, as well as increased opportunity for tennis, golf, and gardening.
Donald E. Lennon died on June 9, 2008, at his home near New Berlin at the age of 90. Predeceased by his wife Louise in 1996, he is survived by his second wife, Renate Lennon, whom he had married in 2004. Also surviving are a son, Peter S. Lennon, and two grandchildren. His older son, Donald E. Lennon, Jr., died in 1999.
Return to Top