John Haydn Jones '31, L.H.D. (Hon.) '61, long a leader in the field of secondary education, was born on February 16, 1910, in Utica, NY. A son of Welsh immigrants John G. and Edith Howard Edwards Jones, he grew up in a musically-oriented family. His middle name was derived from the Haydn Male Chorus of Utica, of which his father, a businessman active in Republican politics, was a member. Having survived polio in childhood, "Johnny" Jones became an avid swimmer and tennis player in later years. He also developed a lifelong attachment to Camp Dudley, the venerable boys camp in Westport, NY, near Lake Champlain, where he first learned to "put the other fellow first."
In 1927, following his graduation from Utica Free Academy, where he had been president of the senior class, Johnny Jones, also known as Haydn, came up the Hill to Hamilton. He joined Alpha Delta Phi and participated actively in intercollegiate debate as well as dramatics as a member and president of the Charlatans. The onetime "Boy Soprano of Utica" also sang tenor in Professor Fancher's Choir and lent his voice to the sadly short-lived Hamilton College Quartet. Elected to DT and the forensic honorary Delta Sigma Rho, and manager of the varsity football team, he was graduated in 1931.
John Jones stayed on at Hamilton for two years as an instructor in public speaking while also pursuing graduate study in political science. Awarded an M.A. degree by the College in 1934 and following a brief foray into the business field, he began his distinguished career in education in 1935 as a teacher of English at Deerfield Academy. During his 14 years at Deerfield he also directed the school's dramatics program.
Having caught the eye of Frank S. Hackett, the founder of the Riverdale Country School in New York City, John Jones left Deerfield in 1949 to succeed Hackett as Riverdale's second headmaster. He remained in that post for 23 years, and under his leadership Riverdale gained recognition as one of the nation's outstanding secondary schools. He succeeded in greatly improving and expanding its physical plant and was instrumental in developing an excellent faculty, many of whose members went on to become headmasters themselves. He also saw that music commanded an important place in the school's curriculum. With his profound dedication to teaching "concern for others" above all, and his quiet strength of character, John Haydn Jones, in the words of Riverdale's current headmaster, John R. Johnson, "not only influenced the lives of generations of students but also empowered and inspired his professional colleagues."
The high regard for his achievements led to John Jones' national recognition as a leader in the field of independent secondary education. Besides serving as president of the Country Day School Headmasters Association and the New York Guild of Independent Schools, he was elected as a trustee of the College Entrance Examination Board. Saluted by Hamilton with an honorary doctorate of humane letters in 1961, he was further honored with a doctorate of laws from Kyung Hee University in Seoul, Korea, in 1969.
Through the years, John Jones remained actively associated with Camp Dudley and served on its board of managers. Following his retirement from Riverdale in 1972, he took up residence in Westport, Camp Dudley's locale. There, while continuing to serve as a trustee or a consultant to several schools, including Dalton and Fordham Preparatory in New York City and Saddle River Country Day in New Jersey, he also became president of the Westport Central School Board. In addition, motivated by a lifelong devotion to the theatrical arts, he became a founding trustee of the local Depot Theatre, where he directed productions and even occasionally took to the stage as an actor. Described as "a deeply generous man with a dry wit and twinkle in his eye, "he greatly enjoyed working crossword puzzles and playing cards, but liked nothing better than sitting around a table with family and friends, listening to lively conversation.
John Haydn Jones, a loyal alumnus and onetime member of the Alumni Council, died surrounded by his family at his home in Westport on November 30, 2006, at the age of 96.He was predeceased in 2001 by his wife, the former Charlotte J. Weaver, whom he had married on June 29, 1940, in Gambier, OH. Surviving are three sons, Jeremy '63, P. Jeffrey, and John Christopher Jones; two daughters, Charlotte McCormick and Jennifer Cavenaugh; 12 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren; and his brother, Arthur G. Jones '35.
Back to Top
William Wheelock Morrow '32, who retired as a senior vice president after 41 years with the International Paper Co.,was born on May 29, 1911, in Mt.Morris , in the Genesee Valley south of Rochester, NY. His parents were William E., a bank cashier, and Edith Wheelock Morrow, a school teacher. He entered Hamilton in 1928, following his graduation from Mt. Morris High School, and joined Theta Delta Chi. With the long legs of a hurdler and sprinter, Bill Morrow ran track for four years, lettering in the sport. In addition, he played a variety of intramural sports and sang for four years in Professor Fancher's Choir. He left the Hill with his diploma in 1932.
After acquiring an M.B.A. degree from the Harvard School of Business Administration in 1934, Bill Morrow began his long career with International Paper in New York City. He was initially assigned for a year to study paper production in the company's mills and at the University of Maine. On March 27, 1937, in New York City, he was married to Petra F.Munoz, a native of Havana, Cuba, and graduate of Barnard College. That same year, he and his bride moved to Boston, MA, where he became New England sales manager for International Paper's Canadian subsidiary, the International Paper Sales Co.
In Boston for 23 years, Bill Morrow extensively trained the company's young newsprint salesmen,who all became proud graduates of "Bill Morrow's School."Transferred to the company's Montreal offices in 1960, he served as assistant to its president until 1963, when he was promoted to vice president. In 1967, he returned to New York City where he held the post of senior vice president of the International Paper Sales Co.
In 1974, soon after his retirement, Bill Morrow took up residence along a lake in Whispering Pines, NC, there to enjoy "the good life of golf, fishing, and gardening. "When his golf game became" so poor that it was no longer fun, "he began devoting his time to a local elementary school as a volunteer. Combining knowledge with humor, he found great satisfaction in assisting youngsters with their reading, writing, and arithmetic as a tutor, giving him once again the feeling of usefulness and even importance. In 1998, in recognition of his contributions in challenging grade schoolers to do their best, he received the Governor's Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service.
William W. Morrow, an ever faithful alumnus, died in his sleep on November 9, 2006, at the home of his daughter in Lyndonville, VT, at the age of 95. Predeceased by his wife in 1992, as well as a daughter, Carol, he is survived by his daughter Linda Morrow, and three grandsons. They fondly remember their grandfather for his "curiosity, love of reading the morning newspaper, kindness and great generosity."
Back to Top
Douglas Winston Fletcher '33, who ministered to numerous congregations during a long career as a Protestant pastor, was born on April 22, 1913, in Binghamton, NY. His parents were the Rev. Robert E. Fletcher, a Methodist Episcopal minister, and the former Mildred Meeker, a musician. In 1929, at the age of 16, "Doug" Fletcher entered Hamilton from Schenevus (NY) High School, where he was graduated as salutatorian of his class. He joined the local fraternity Beta Kappa and played intramural sports, but focused his extracurricular activities primarily on music as a first tenor in the Choir and member of the College Band.
With a religious vocation in mind, Doug Fletcher went on to Drew Theological Seminary, which his father had also attended, following his graduation from Hamilton in 1933. By the time he received his B.D.degree in 1936 (he would later earn an M.Div. from Drew), he had already begun his ministerial career. During the ensuing years he was pastor of the Glen Lyon (PA) Methodist Church as well as churches in New York State. He was called in the 1950s to the United Church in Roscoe and the First Congregational Church in Cortland,NY. The 1960s found him in Cleveland, OH, as pastor of the Faith United Church of Christ.
In 1969, the Rev. Douglas Fletcher settled in Sag Harbor on eastern Long Island, where he served several United Church of Christ congregations in Suffolk County and subsequently the First Presbyterian Church (the "Old Whaler's Church") in Sag Harbor itself. Although he retired as pastor emeritus in 1983, he found that it was "hard to break a habit," and consequently continued to serve for many years thereafter as substitute or interim pastor at churches on Long Island. Over the years he maintained his interest in music as a choral director and soloist. In retirement, he made several trips across the Atlantic on the liner QE2, pursued genealogical research, and attempted to lower his golf score.
The Rev. Douglas W. Fletcher died on August 16, 2005, at the age of 92, according to information recently received by the College. He is survived by his wife, the former Emily Jane Shaw, whom he had married on September 20, 1944, in Highland, NY. Also surviving are a son, Bruce D. Fletcher, and four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Another son, Donald S. Fletcher '68, predeceased him in 1978.
Return to Top
Harry Edward Goss '36, a retired machine-tool company executive and longtime town official, was born on October 31, 1914, in Buffalo, NY. His parents were Harry Goss, a corporate department manager, and the former Etta Green. Harry E. Goss grew up in the Buffalo suburb of Kenmore, where he was graduated from Kenmore High School. He came to Hamilton in 1932, joined ELS, and excelled on the gridiron as a tackle on the varsity football team. Elected captain of the team and president of the Interfraternity Council in his senior year, he also served as class president and secretary of the Executive Council. He left the Hill with his diploma in 1936.
Harry Goss returned to the Buffalo area and went to work for Firestone Tire & Rubber Co. In 1942, after two years with General Motors Acceptance Corp., he began his long employment with G. W. Brunton & Son, Inc., distributors of machine tools. He became sales manager as well as vice president of the company, a post he held until his retirement in 1980.
In the meantime, while residing in his hometown of Kenmore in the Town of Tonawanda, Harry Goss became active in community affairs. He served as president of the Kenmore Rotary Club and the local Boys Club as well as a member of civic advisory boards. His interest in local government also prompted him to serve on the Zoning Board of Appeals and chair the Charter Commission. Elected as a town councilman in 1968, he chaired committees responsible for many of the services provided to residents during his 12-year occupancy of that position.
In 1980, following his retirement from Brunton, Harry Goss successfully ran as the Republican and Conservative candidate for receiver of taxes in the Town of Tonawanda. Reelected in 1985, he increased the efficiency of the office and undertook cost-saving measures through the introduction of procedural changes and adoption of computer technology. He retained the office until his retirement at the age of 75 in 1990. In subsequent years he continued his community service as a driver for the American Cancer Society, the Food Shuttle of Western New York, and the Kenmore- Tonawanda Meals on Wheels.
Harry E. Goss, an exemplary public servant and community citizen, and a faithful alumnus, died on January 1, 2007, at a nursing home in Amherst, NY, following a long illness, at the age of 92. He was predeceased in 1995 by his wife, Dorothy Trombley Goss, whom he had married on April 29, 1939, in Buffalo. Survivors include a son, William T. Goss '63, and a daughter, Patricia Duncan, as well as nine grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
James Addington Lawson '38, engaged for 30 years in sales, marketing, and advertising for the Chrysler Corp., was born on August 18, 1915, in Minneapolis, MN. His parents were Hugh Lawson, a merchandise manager and buyer, and the former Ethel Addington. Jim Lawson grew up in the Midwest and was graduated from Evanston (IL) Township High School in 1934. That fall, having taken the train from Chicago to Utica and the trolley to College Hill, he enrolled at Hamilton and soon joined ELS. After two years on the Hill, however, he transferred to Western Reserve University to prepare for a future career in business. He obtained his B.S. degree in business administration in 1938.
While at Western Reserve, Jim Lawson met Jane M. Bricker. She later joined him on the West Coast where he had found employment, and they were married in Los Angeles on August 31, 1940.The couple took up residence in West Covina, CA, and Jim found wartime work with Douglas Aircraft Corp. Following World War II, he began his long employment with Chrysler, initially on the West Coast. Shortly thereafter, he was transferred to Chrysler headquarters in Detroit, MI, where he became advertising manager for Chrysler's Plymouth automobiles. Later appointed director of marketing, he retired as director of consumer affairs in 1975.
The Lawsons built a retirement home on the shores of Lake Michigan near Traverse City, and there they enjoyed 22 wonderful years in the village of Suttons Bay. In 1997, they pulled up stakes and moved back to California, settling in Lake San Marcos, where one of their sons resided. There, Jim would often get together for lunch with an old Hamilton classmate and friend, H. Curtis Reed, who lived nearby, and the two would reminisce about their days on the Hill.
James A. Lawson died in San Marcos, CA, on September 27, 2006,at the age of 91.Predeceased by his wife after 63 years of marriage in 2004, he is survived by two sons, Robert M. and William A. Lawson, and a granddaughter.
Return to Top
Horace Curtis Reed '38, a retired insurance executive and management consultant, was born on May 6, 1917, to Murry E., a salesman, and Gertrude Hicks Reed, in Oneida, NY. He grew up in Potsdam, in New York's North Country, and was graduated in 1934 from Potsdam High School as president of his class. He entered Hamilton that year but, because of financial exigency in the midst of the Great Depression, left the Hill after only a semester. "Curt" Reed returned to his hometown of Potsdam, where he enrolled at Clarkson College (now University) and obtained a B.S. degree in accounting and marketing in 1938.Despite his brief time at Hamilton, however, he acquired lasting friendships on the Hill and a permanent affection for the College. He remained close to Hamilton and was an ever-supportive alumnus throughout his life.
After his graduation from Clarkson, Curt Reed began his business career in Hartford, CT, with Felt & Tarrant Manufacturing Co., makers of office equipment. He was engaged in sales for the company when, in 1941, he received "Greetings" from his draft board. He entered the U.S. Army that year as a private, received training as a finance officer, and left the Army after World War II's end in 1945 as a major.
Curt Reed returned to Hartford with his wife, the former Loraine McVicar, known as "Vickie," whom he had wed in December 1941. There, utilizing the training skills he developed in the Army, he established his own management consulting firm, H.C. Reed & Co. In 1946, however, he was persuaded to relinquish his independence and become a consultant in the employ of the Travelers Insurance Co. Appointed director of training and sales research and promotion (1950-54), he remained with Travelers as group sales director until 1959. That year, having grown tired of being away from his family on frequent and long business trips, he opted for a more permanently placed position with Federal Life and Casualty Co., headquartered in Battle Creek, MI. Named executive vice president and later a director of the company, he left Battle Creek for California in 1968 when offered the presidency of West Coast Life Insurance Co. in San Francisco.
Curt Reed and his family settled permanently on the West Coast, where he moved to Portland, OR, in 1974 to become president of the newly consolidated First Farwest Corp., a group of insurance companies. In 1977, he retired to Southern California, where his children then lived and where, as an avid nine-handicap golfer, he found the abundance of golf courses around San Diego luring. Having taken up residence in La Jolla, he soon embarked on a new business venture, helping to found and serving as president of a management consulting firm, La Jolla Associates, under the auspices of E. F. Hutton Life Insurance Co. He continued in the business into the 1990s.
Wherever his career took him, Curt Reed, known for his geniality and readiness to help out, was extensively involved in public and community service. Besides the Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, Boy Scouts, United Way, and Presbyterian Church work, he was a former trustee of Hartford College for Women and the San Francisco Theological Seminary. Predeceasing his Hamilton classmate and friend Jim Lawson by six weeks (see above), H. Curtis Reed died in Southern California on August 10, 2006. He is survived by his wife of 64 years. Also surviving are a daughter, Janice McNeill; a son, Allan C. Reed; and five grandsons and three great-granddaughters.
Return to Top
James Boyd Sibbison '39, a journalist and press officer for the Environmental Protection Agency who later carved out a second career writing environmental exposés, was born on January 10, 1916, in Cleveland, OH. A son of James H., a certified public accountant, and Elizabeth Smith Sibbison, he grew up in Cleveland and was graduated from Shaker Heights High School. In 1935, after a year in a business administration program at the University of Arizona, Jim Sibbison transferred to Hamilton, joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, and took to the stage in plays produced on the Hill. After his junior year, however, he left the College and returned to his hometown of Cleveland to enroll at Western Reserve University.
Jim Sibbison, following his graduation, decided to become a newspaperman, and he spent the immediate post-war years working for dailies in Painesville and Warren, OH. During World War II he served as a naval communications officer aboard the destroyer U.S.S. Charles F. Hughes, deployed in both the Atlantic and Pacific as well as the Mediterranean. While on leave in New Orleans, he met Rita Eisenmann, whom he married in Brooklyn, NY, in 1945.
After his discharge from the Navy as a lieutenant, Jim Sibbison went to work for the Associated Press in Ohio, initially reporting from Columbus and subsequently from Cleveland, where he covered the notorious murder trial of Dr. Sam Sheppard. In 1953, the AP transferred him to its Washington, DC, bureau to cover Congress. During the 1960s he worked for a series of federal agencies such as the Public Health Service before becoming a press officer and writer for the EPA. He held that post for 10 years until his retirement from government service in 1981.
In retirement, Jim Sibbison used his inside knowledge of the workings of the EPA to write a series of investigative articles on environmental topics, exposing the backdoor connections between government agencies and the industries they were charged with regulating. His articles, which also focused on deception via the media, were reminiscent of the "muckraking" journalism of his heroes, Lincoln Steffens and I.F. Stone. They included "Dead Fish and Red Herrings: How the EPA Pollutes the News," published in the Columbia Journalism Review, and "Revolving Door at the EPA," published in The Nation. Throughout the 1980s, he also wrote regular columns on public health and the environment for the British medical journal The Lancet. He was still active as a journalistic crusader at the age of 90.
Described as "a radical and curmudgeon to the bone," Jim Sibbison, had a lifelong obsession with politics, and he read The New York Times and watched CNN "with an angry focus that never faded..."However, as a lifelong devotee of music, he had a more tranquil side as well. He played the harpsichord and recorder, and practiced the piano daily. He especially enjoyed playing fourhanded piano with friends.
In 1982, following his retirement from the federal government, James B. Sibbison left Washington and relocated to Amherst, MA. He died on December 16, 2006, in nearby Hadley, in his 91st year. In addition to his wife of 61 years, he is survived by a daughter, Wendy Sibbison, and a granddaughter, brother, and sister. Jim Sibbison once remarked that, despite his brief stay on College Hill," Hamilton showed me how to lead an interesting life. "And an interesting life it turned out to be.
Return to Top
George Roger Weeden, Jr. '39, a physician who practiced with great compassion in the Mohawk Valley for 30 years, and an exceptionally devoted alumnus, was born on October 3, 1918, in Frankfort, NY, not far from Utica. A son of G. Roger Weeden, an insurance agent, and the former Helen E. Fish, he was a grandson of Willis L. Weeden, Class of 1882, one of the founders of the Emerson Literary Society. "Rog" Weeden grew up in Frankfort and became an Eagle Scout and YMCA camper and counselor. He entered Hamilton in 1935 from Frankfort High School and joined Delta Upsilon. He played trumpet in the College band for four years and managed the basketball team in his senior year.
Following his graduation in 1939, Rog Weeden obtained a job selling checks and check-writing equipment for the Todd Co. in Rochester, NY. Inducted into the U.S. Army during the Second World War in 1942, he served in the enlisted ranks, initially on military police duty. Subsequently assigned to a mechanical engineering program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he concluded his military service in a clerical post at the 126th General Hospital in the Philippines.
Inspired to pursue a career in medicine, Roger Weeden returned to Hamilton upon his release from the Army in 1946 to take biology and organic chemistry courses in preparation for medical school. While back on the Hill, he also filled in as an instructor in mathematics. After a year, he left the College to enroll in the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. He was a medical student there when, on December 26, 1948, he and Ethalynd (Lynn) Burke, a registered nurse, were wed in Ilion, NY.
Roger Weeden received his M.D. degree in 1951.Three years later, after his internship and residency in Rochester, he began his general practice in Mohawk, NY, in partnership with his brother in- law, Arthur Applegate '41. They later practiced together in the Mohawk Valley Medical Group in Ilion.
Dr. Weeden sold his partnership in the Group and retired in 1982, but continued active part time thereafter as a plant physician for Remington Arms Co. in Ilion. A general practitioner in the traditional sense for most of his career, he treated a wide range of ailments, always with gentle caring. In retirement, he found more time for "gardening, golfing, cooking, reading, camping, and a few committees, "as well as Hamilton.
Dr. Weeden, a former president of the Herkimer County Medical Society and highly respected by his peers as well as his patients, was devoted to the College and served on the Alumni Council as president of the Utica Area Alumni Association. He participated regularly in alumni activities on campus, chaired class reunions, and served as class agent for the Annual Fund. A soft-spoken and congenial man, he was always a welcome presence on the Hill.
G. Roger Weeden, a longtime resident of Ilion and most recently of Tully, NY, died on August 24, 2006, following a 5-month illness. In addition to his wife of 57 years, he is survived by a son, Christopher B. Weeden; a daughter, Judith Shafer; and five grandchildren, including Christopher B., Jr. '02 and Kimberly M. Weeden '06. He was predeceased by his elder son, G. Roger Weeden III '74, in 1978, and by his brother, Willis F.Weeden '41, in July 2006. Other relatives include his nephews, Willis F. Weeden, Jr. '70 and Stephen H. '74 and Robert W. Applegate '75.
Return to Top