Hugh Jamison '41, who, despite unsteady employment and a limited income, managed throughout his life to collect and surround himself with antiques and works of art, was born on June 21, 1917. The son of Hugh D., an eye specialist practicing in Summit, NJ, and Margaret Crawford Jamison, he prepared for college at Pingry School in New Jersey and came to the Hill from Summit in 1936. Recruited by Sigma Phi, Hugh Jamison played a bit of soccer but primarily gained a reputation as "an aesthete famous for locking himself in his room in South on Saturdays to listen to the Met, "as reported in The Hamiltonian.
After acquiring his B.S. degree in 1941, Hugh Jamison left College Hill hoping to become an artist. But realizing that he had no great for talent for it and that it was not a very promising means of earning a living, he instead tried his hand at a variety of occupations, from retail selling in Manhattan department stores to a brief stint on Wall Street. He also engaged in real estate transactions, buying and selling homes, some of them historic, especially in Connecticut. Somewhat reclusive and peripatetic, he resided at various times and places on the East and West Coasts, in Connecticut and Santa Barbara, CA.
Wherever Hugh Jamison took up residence, he filled his homes with an eclectic mixture of art works ranging from ancient Greek and Roman to European and Asian from various eras, as well as a miscellany of antique furniture. Over the years he frequently bought and sold at auction in New York City, but seldom made a profit on the transactions .His primary income was derived from a modest inheritance from his mother in the form of a trust.
During the 1990s, after he had sold his home in Groton, CT, Hugh Jamison settled in St. Augustine, FL, in what had been his winter home. At that time he donated some of his art works to the Emerson Gallery at Hamilton. He was still residing in St. Augustine when he died on January 1, 2006. Unmarried and predeceased by a sister, he is survived by nephews.
Return to Top
Walter Jonathan Miller, Jr. '41, who spent most of his working life in the textile industry, was born on November 10, 1917, in Brooklyn, NY. The son of Walter J. and Grace Freeman Miller, "Jon" Miller grew up in Cranford, NJ, and came to the College in 1936 from Cranford High School. He joined Psi Upsilon, went out for basketball, and earned letters in baseball. He was graduated in 1941.
Briefly employed by the General Electric Co. in Bridgeport, CT, before he entered the U.S. Army in 1942, Jon Miller remained on active duty for four years through the end of World War II. Commissioned as an officer in 1943, he was assigned to Camp Irwin in the Mojave Desert of California as a gunnery instructor. He subsequently served for six months with the occupation forces in Japan and attained the rank of first lieutenant.
After his release from the Army, Jon Miller went back to work at GE in Bridgeport, but in 1947 he returned to his hometown of Cranford, where he later became a deacon, elder, and moderator of the Session of the First Presbyterian Church. He found employment with a small, well-established woolen fabric firm, Worumbo Manufacturing Co., in New York City. It was later taken over by J.P. Stevens & Co. As a textile stylist for menswear fabrics, he remained with Stevens in New York City for 32 years until his retirement in 1983.
Almost immediately thereafter, Jon and his wife, the former Barbara G. Hansen, whom he had married on March 26, 1949, in New Brunswick, NJ, moved from Cranford to Hendersonville, NC. There they engaged in a variety of volunteer activities and in community service projects. They also enjoyed travel, "Elderhosteling," golf, bridge, and tennis. In addition, Jon Miller served as an official swimming timer for the Senior Olympic Games.
W. Jonathan Miller, Jr., an ever-faithful and supportive alumnus, died in Hendersonville on December 27, 2006. In addition to his wife of 57 years, he is survived by a daughter, Carol Bardon; a son, Jeffrey H. Miller; and three grandchildren.
Return to Top
Philipp Curtis Sottong '41, a psychiatrist and noted authority on multiple personality disorders, and a social activist, was born on March 16, 1921, in Cattaraugus, NY. A son of Peter Sottong '18, a high school physics teacher, and the former Grace M. Wagner, Phil Sottong came to Hamilton in 1937 from Wood-Ridge, NJ, as a graduate of Rutherford High School. He joined the Squires Club, the Charlatans, and the staff of the Royal Gaboon, and sang in the Choir for four years in addition to running track. He also helped conduct classes on campus for young men recruited into the Depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps. With a reputation as an inveterate salesman, he "sailed erratically but grandly through college," in the words of The Hamiltonian.
In 1941, after acquiring his B.S. degree, Phil Sottong entered the University of Rochester Medical School. Awarded his M.D. degree in 1945, he interned for a year at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, followed by a year on active duty as a lieutenant (j.g.) in the U.S. Navy Medical Corps. In 1948, he returned to the University of Rochester on a fellowship in pathology. He remained there to serve his residency in psychiatry until 1951, when he received a fellowship in anthropology from Cornell University, which included six months on a Navaho reservation in New Mexico. In 1953, he left for Chattanooga, TN, believing that it was ready for the establishment of a community health center, and he successfully initiated efforts to rezone 500 acres of the central city for that purpose.
Dr. Sottong settled permanently in that Tennessee area, where he served as director of the Chattanooga- Hamilton County Guidance Clinic for six years until 1959. Thereafter he established his private psychiatric practice and became increasingly involved in organizational activities, professional, political (as a Democrat), and civic. As president of numerous organizations such as the Chattanooga Social Workers Club, the Tennessee Conference of Social Work, the State Mental Health Association, and the Chattanooga Community Relations Conference, he battled for racial integration, slum clearance, and facilities to serve the mentally handicapped. His last notable victory as an activist was in the early 1990s, when the area of the Walnut Street Bridge spanning the Tennessee River was preserved through his efforts and turned into the Tennessee Riverwalk and Walnut Street Park. As a visionary who, in the early 1960s, proposed the creation of a city-sponsored Human Values Center that offered cultural venues as well as health services, he lived to see his proposal at least partially realized.
Professionally, Dr. Sottong was the author of papers and articles on multiple personality disorders as well as other behavioral topics, and he acted as a consultant and frequently provided expert testimony in court trials. Despite a struggle with painful systemic cancer, he continued to see patients until virtually the end of his life, regardless of their ability to pay, in accordance with his lifelong practice.
Ever restless and with a mind encompassing myriad and ever widening interests, Phil Sottong also tried his hand at novel writing with Year of Chance, a story of the unconquerable human spirit set in China and published in 1989. In his later years he became an accomplished and prize-winning watercolor artist who, in addition, developed and copyrighted a collage technique known as BzArt.
Philipp C. Sottong, long a resident of rural Signal Mountain, TN, died on December 11, 2006, in a Chattanooga hospital, bringing to a conclusion a remarkably variegated and productive life. He is survived by his wife, the former Mary L. Head, whom he had wed on November 4, 1944, in Rochester, when he was a medical student. Also surviving are three sons, Gary C., Geoffrey H. '73, and Lincoln F. Sottong, as well as grandchildren and a brother, Peter R. Sottong.
Return to Top
Charles Burton Eames '42, an educator and local government reformer who fruitfully concluded his career in state government service, was born on September 19, 1920, in Oneida, NY. A son of David K. and Vera Burton Eames, he grew up on the family's dairy farm near Oneida, where he received his early education in a one-room schoolhouse. Following his graduation from Oneida High School in 1938, Charlie Eames enrolled at Hamilton. He became a member of Squires and, from his base in North Dorm, went forth to the local airstrip to take part in the civilian pilot training program sponsored by the Civil Aeronautics Authority. It marked the beginning of a lifelong interest in aircraft and flying. During his senior year he became acquainted with Harriet Allyn, a cataloger on the staff of the James Library. They were married on June 14, 1942, in Hiram, OH, shortly after Charlie's graduation from Hamilton.
By that time, with the United States already involved in World War II, Charlie Eames was preparing to enlist in the Army Air Corps. He went on active duty in early 1943 and was trained as a bombardier and commissioned as an officer. Posted to England with a B-17 (Flying Fortress) bomber group of the 8th Air Force, he flew 30 combat mission, 19 of them as lead bombardier of the squadron, against targets in Germany and German-occupied Europe. He survived those flak-filled bombing runs, although they left him with unpleasant dreams for years to come. After the war's end in 1945, he left military service as a first lieutenant having earned the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters.
In January 1947, Charlie Eames acquired an M.S. degree in public administration from the Maxwell School of Syracuse University. Two weeks later, he joined the faculty of Utica College, then in its first year of existence and under the dynamics leadership of Winton Tolles '28 as its dean, who was soon to return to College Hill as Hamilton's dean. Charlie Eames was to enjoy a happy 20-year tenure at Utica College, teaching political science and related subjects, and sharing the company of such colleagues as his Hamilton classmate Tom O'Donnell and former roommate Les Start '41. While assisting in the creation of a new college, he was also busy helping Harriet rear their four sons in an old farmhouse overlooking the Sauquoit Valley and serving as an elder and trustee of the Sauquoit Union Presbyterian Church.
At Utica College, Charlie Eames served on numerous committees and chaired those on student activities and personnel. He also edited the college's self evaluation report and found time as a county government research consultant to co-write A Study of the Government of Oneida County. The study would eventually lead to a new charter for the county, fundamentally reforming its antiquated and inefficient governmental structure and creating the new office of county executive. A fervent advocate of local government reform, he spoke extensively on the subject, mobilizing support for change. After the new charter was adopted, he took leave as assistant professor of political science at Utica College to serve from1964 to 1967 as director of research for Oneida County and assistant to its new executive.
Gradually drawn away from the classroom and into public service, Charlie Eames finally moved with his family in 1967 to Albany when Governor Nelson Rockefeller appointed him as executive assistant and later assistant director of the State Office of Planning Coordination. He also became involved for a time in party politics as special assistant to the chairman of the State Republican Committee (1969-71). Thereafter appointed as deputy commissioner of the State Office for Local Government, he concluded his public career as assistant secretary of the State Thruway Authority from 1975 until his retirement in 1981.
Harriet and Charlie Eames, residents since 1987 of the Albany suburb of Delmar, maintained a winter home for many years in Titusville, FL. Wherever he was, Charlie's principal retirement interests included reading, especially in an effort to catch up on the classics of English literature. He and Harriet also enjoyed travel, visiting China as well as England and Scotland more than once.
Charlie Eames, a good natured man with a lively sense of humor (he had a weakness for puns), also had a creative mind and a dedication to learning. He especially enjoyed words and the flow of language, and loved to sing old Gospel hymns. Above all a family man who took his boys on summer camping trips when they were young and delighted in his wife's piano-playing, he was also devoted to his church and his College. An ever-faithful alumnus who never forgot the intellectual enrichment he received in "the Sacred Grove," he was a generous supporter of Hamilton.
After a long and courageous battle with pancreatic cancer, Charles B. Eames died surrounded by his family at his home in Delmar on June 30, 2006. Besides his wife of 64 years, he is survived by his sons, Charles B., Jr., Frederick A., David K., and Thomas R. Eames. Also surviving are eight grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, and a brother and a sister.
Return to Top
Andrew Watson Forsyth, Jr. '43, a highly respected estate tax attorney who practiced law in Pittsburgh, PA, for 57 years, grew up in the Pittsburgh suburb of Ben Avon, where he was born on October 24, 1921. The only son of Andrew W., also an attorney-at law, and Alice Lauten Forsyth, he was graduated from Avonworth High School in Ben Avon and came to Hamilton in 1939, intending to pursue a pre-law course of study.He also went out for basketball but focused most of his extracurricular interests on dramatics with the Charlatans. By the time he received his B.S. degree in January 1943, "the long-legged gentleman of Chi Psi "was already committed to service with the U.S. Navy. Commissioned as an officer, he was assigned to the command of a mine sweeper in the South Pacific.
Released from active duty in 1946, after the end of World War II, Andy Forsyth returned home to enroll in law school at the University of Pittsburgh. After obtaining his LL.B. in 1949, he joined the legal staff of the Union National Bank in Pittsburgh. In 1968, he established his private practice and, specializing in estate planning, continued to practice law until 1996.
An ardent and accomplished golfer and interested in the history of the game, Andy Forsyth, conservative socially and politically, also greatly enjoyed talking politics with friends and associates. A gentle man who had a great love for animals, and especially dogs, he and his wife warmly welcomed stray canines as well as cats into their home.
Andrew W. Forsyth, Jr., a former deacon of the Ben Avon Presbyterian Church, was residing in Pittsburgh when he died in that city on January 20, 2007, of complications related to cancer. He is survived by his wife, the former Margo Thompson, whom he had married on May 24, 1952.Also surviving are a son, Andrew W. Forsyth III; three daughters, Leslie Jones, Laurie Bucko, and Carol Huckins; and five grandchildren and two sisters.
Return to Top
Richard Cook Clelland '44, emeritus professor of statistics and a former deputy provost of the University of Pennsylvania, was born on August 23, 1921, in Camden, northeast of Syracuse, NY. The son of Ford J., a civil engineer, and Beryl Cook Clelland, he grew up in Camden and was graduated in 1940 from Camden High School as president and valedictorian of his class. Dick Clelland enrolled at Hamilton that fall, joined the Squires Club, and became a member of the College Band.
When the U.S. Army Air Corps' premeteorology training program was established on the Hill in the midst of World War II, mathematics instructors were needed for it. Dick Clelland, a classical languages major with an aptitude for math, was "drafted" by Professor Boyd Patterson to teach in the program. While pursuing his own undergraduate studies part-time, he taught classes in the evening, keeping the military recruits awake after dinner with his dry sense of humor. The recipient of the Benjamin Walworth Arnold Prize Scholarship, the William P. Shepard Prize in French, and virtually every prize in Latin and Greek offered by the College, he was graduated Phi Beta Kappa in 1944,with honors in Latin, French, and mathematics. He was one of only three members of his class present that June to receive his diploma.
Immediately thereafter, Dick Clelland entered the Army. He spent two years in the Signal Corps, including six months with occupation forces in Tokyo after the Japanese surrender. Discharged as a master sergeant in 1946, he came back to central New York when Winton Tolles '28, then engaged as dean in launching the new Utica College, hired him as a math instructor. Dick Clelland taught seven different introductory math courses his first semester there. After a year, he left Utica College to begin graduate studies at Columbia University, thanks to the G.I. Bill. He acquired his M.A. degree in mathematics in 1949 and returned to Hamilton the following year as a math instructor. In 1953,he went on to the University of Pennsylvania to pursue a Ph.D. in statistics and obtain his doctorate in 1956.Offered the opportunity to stay on as an assistant professor in Penn's statistics department of the Wharton School, he then began his distinguished 36-year career as a teacher and administrator at the university.
Promoted to full professor in 1966,Dr.Clelland chaired Wharton's department of statistics and operations research from 1966 to 1971.Acting dean of the school in 1971-72, he was Wharton's associate dean from 1976 to 1981. Subsequently named deputy provost of the university, he retained that post for 11 years, until his retirement in 1992 at the age of 70, concluding what he described as "a busy but rewarding life."
A fellow of the American Statistical Association and a specialist in applied statistics who did research in experimental design and statistical methodology, Dr. Clelland was the author or coauthor of some 50 articles in professional journals and coauthor of four statistical textbooks. In addition, he was a statistical consultant to the U.S. Air Force and to several businesses. As an administrator at Wharton and Penn, especially in the demanding post of deputy provost, dealing with faculty personnel and problems across the university, he was known to be consistently fair minded, never permitting ego or personal interest to get in the way of balanced judgment.
An elder in the Presbyterian Church and at one time a trustee of the Presbyterian Hospital in Philadelphia, Dick Clelland resided in suburban St. David's with his wife, the former Anne C. Buel, whom he had wed on June 16, 1963, in Morristown, NJ. They enjoyed travel abroad as well as hiking, especially in the Adirondacks. Dick Clelland also collected stamps and coins, and was fond of composing double dactyls, a form of poetry with two stanzas that rhyme on the last line.
Richard C. Clelland, a devoted alumnus, died on October 8, 2006, at his home in St. David's, of Sjögren's syndrome, an autoimmune disease. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a son, Richard B. Clelland; a daughter, Susan E. Ritenis; and two grandchildren. Recalling the scholarship aid Dr.Clelland received while a student at Hamilton, the family suggested that contributions in his memory be made to the College's scholarship endowment.
Return to Top
John Cornelius Reynolds '44, a retired corporation general counsel, was born on January 27, 1923, a son of Harry D. and Marion Putman Reynolds, in Mt. Vernon, NY. John Reynolds grew up in Mt. Vernon, where he was graduated from Davis High School, and arrived on College Hill in 1940.He joined Theta Delta Chi, fenced, took part in productions of the Charlatans, and contributed his time to the nascent campus radio station WHC. Just before the end of the fall term of his junior year he withdrew from the College because of a family emergency, the death of his father. Having already signed up for military service, he went on active duty with the U.S. Army shortly thereafter, in February 1943.
As soon as he could, John Reynolds transferred to parachute school and joined the airborne infantry. With the 82nd Airborne Division, he participated in a half-dozen European campaigns. A veteran of more than 40 jumps, many of them behind enemy lines, he was, at the end of World War II, a warrant officer stationed in occupied Berlin and assigned as an aide-de-camp to General James Gavin. He left the Army in 1946, having earned the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, as well as decorations from the French and Netherlands governments.
Married in Garden City, NY, on June 6, 1946, to Pamela Stemler (his spring house-party date when she was a student at Wells College), John Reynolds returned to College Hill that year for the summer session. However, when his request for the waiving of the senior-year residence requirement was denied, he left the Hill without a diploma. Nonetheless, he was admitted to Albany Law School of Union University and acquired his LL.B. degree in 1949. Four years later, he added to his professional credentials an LL.M. in tax law from New York University.
After being admitted to the New York Bar and "struggling for some years," John Reynolds joined the American Sugar Refining Co. (later Amstar Corp.), headquartered in Manhattan, as counsel. He remained with the company for many years, retiring as vice president and general counsel of Amstar in 1985.On the side, he served on a committee advising the Federal Energy Commission during the Ford administration, as an advisor to the U.S. delegation to a U.N. treaty conference in Geneva during the Carter administration, and as a member of a delegation to the People's Republic of China in an effort to establish laws facilitating commerce.
John C. Reynolds, formerly a resident of Mt. Kisco, NY, had been residing in West Virginia in recent years. He died there at his home in Mink Shoals, near Charleston, on September 17, 2006. He leaves his wife of 60 years as well as two daughters, Nora D. Smith and Diana R. Kemp; a son, Brian D. Reynolds; and nine grandchildren, two step-grandchildren, and a sister.
Return to Top
Hamilton Shaw Stewart '45, a retired associate professor of English, grew up in Webster, MA, where he was born on January 20, 1924, to John M. and Florence Shaw Stewart. A graduate of Bartlett High School in that city, he came to College Hill in 1941 and joined ELS as well as the Band and the Glen Lane Orchestra. After three semesters, however, he withdrew from the College to enter the U.S. Army in the midst of World War II. With the 78th Infantry Division he saw action in the Battle of the Bulge and served with occupation forces in Germany. Released after three years in uniform in 1946, "Ham" Stewart returned to the College that summer. "Incurably gregarious" and" steeped in jazz esoterica," as well as with a flair for mimicry, according to The Hamiltonian, he completed his course of study and was graduated in 1947.
Hamilton Stewart began his working career as an announcer and salesman for radio station WDEV in Waterbury, VT. In 1951, he moved on to manage local sales for WTAG in Worcester, MA. In 1963,he turned to teaching as a member of the faculty of Nichols College in Dudley, MA. Having added to his academic credentials an M.A. in French in 1966 and an M.A. in English in 1984, both from Assumption College, he continued to teach at Nichols until his retirement in 1991.
The College has learned belatedly of Hamilton S. Stewart's death on June 29, 2005. For 60 years a resident of his hometown of Webster, MA, he was living in Spring Hill, FL, at that time. He is survived by his wife, the former Doris R. Leavens, whom he had wed on March 15,1948, in Newton, MA. Also surviving are two sons, Hamilton S., Jr. '70, and Douglas H. Stewart; three daughters, Allison Boyce, Lee Ann Cardella, and Nancy Stewart; and 10 grandchildren, a great-grandchild, and a sister.
Return to Top
Edmund Arthur LeFevre '46, for 34 years a dedicated preparatory school teacher of English whose generosity endowed an English professorship at Hamilton, was born on February 26, 1925, in Rochester, NY. The son of Elmer J., an accountant and business executive, and Jane Taylor LeFevre, he grew up in Rochester, where he prepared for college at Allendale School. "Ned" LeFevre enrolled at Hamilton in 1942, joined ELS, and went out for fencing. After his freshman year, however, he withdrew from the College to enlist in the U.S Army Air Corps. He received training in communications and was subsequently commissioned as an officer.
In uniform for three years through the end of World War II, Ned LeFevre was discharged as a lieutenant in early 1946.That spring, he returned to College Hill and resumed his studies in preparation for a career in teaching. Inspired by such teachers on the Hill as "Tom" Johnston and Berrian Shute, he excelled academically, especially in English literature and music. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa, he was graduated in 1947 and went on to earn an M.A. degree in English from Princeton University in 1949.
Ned LeFevre thereafter returned to his native Rochester and Allendale School, where he taught for a year and a half. In 1951, he began a decade of teaching at Pingry School in New Jersey. He was head of its English department in 1961 when he left to join the faculty of Tatnall School in Wilmington, DE, where he also chaired the English department. During his 22 years at Tatnall, an independent day school, he left an indelible impression on his students, who fondly remember him and his classes as both challenging and stimulating.
Ned LeFevre, who chose secondary- school teaching because of the opportunity it afforded to work closely with young people and perhaps exercise a positive influence on young minds, demanded much from students and gave them much in return. For him, learning was an interactive process, and lifelong. In his courses, such as the required Shakespeare, he tried to instill in teenagers "the love of literature and the ability to communicate clearly, accurately and cogently," but also the need for critical thinking. More often than not he succeeded, as attested by the achievements of former students whose minds he had stretched.
Although Ned LeFevre retired from Tatnall in 1983, he later returned to teaching as a volunteer for the Academy of Lifelong Learning, which was established by the University of Delaware to provide opportunities for continuing intellectual growth for people later in life. For many years he taught them Shakespeare and other literature courses, and found it highly satisfying, especially when some turned out to be parents of his former students.
During his retirement, Ned LeFevre and his wife, the former Nancy L. Keith, whom he had married on August 18,1962, enjoyed traveling extensively throughout the United States and Europe, as well as other parts of the world. For many years they also spent winters on Marco Island in Florida and summers at their cottage in Rehoboth Beach, DE.
Throughout his life, Ned LeFevre remained grateful to Hamilton for the preparation it provided for his future career. By way of appreciation and as a contribution to assuring the continuance of excellence in teaching in Hamilton's English department, he and Nancy established a $1.5 million charitable trust to endow a professorship. The first Edmund A. LeFevre Professor of English was Ivan Marki, who occupied the chair from 1999 until his retirement in 2002. He was then succeeded by the current chairholder, John H.O'Neill.
Edmund A. LeFevre was still residing in Wilmington when he died on April 27, 2006. In addition to his wife of 43 years, he is survived by a son, Edmund A., Jr., a daughter, Catherine J. LeFevre, and three grandsons.
Return to Top
Lewis Furbeck Cole, Jr. '49, who served both Episcopal and Baptist congregations during his career in the ministry, was born on January 30, 1927, in Utica, NY. The son of Lewis F. a physician, and Natalie Holcomb Cole, he came to College Hill in the spring of 1945 as a graduate of Utica Free Academy. Before the end of the semester, however, he withdrew to enter the U.S. Army when World War II was in its final months. On active duty for a year and attaining the rank of sergeant, "Lew" Cole returned to Hamilton in the fall of 1946. Besides pursuing his studies, he sang in the Choir and the Glee Club, and was active in the Canterbury Club. Amember of Tau Kappa Epsilon and called by The Hamiltonian the "chaplain" of the Tekes, he won the Babcock Prize in Philosophy and Pedagogy, and was graduated in 1949.
Having responded to a spiritual calling already in his youth and intent upon a career in the Episcopal ministry, Lew Cole entered Virginia Theological Seminary, where he earned his B.D. degree in 1953.Ordained an Episcopal deacon by that time, and serving as an assistant in the Boonville Missionary Field in the Adirondacks, he soon settled in Maryland with his wife, the former Barbara G. Titus, whom he had wed on September 19, 1953, in New York City. In 1957, after assisting at two other churches, he was called to Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Bel Air as rector, a position he would retain until 1976.
Thereafter, the Rev. Mr. Cole, who had acquired an M.A. degree in sociology from Union College in 1972, left Maryland to take up residence on Martha's Vineyard, where he became a drug and alcohol counselor and director of programs on alcohol rehabilitation for Vineyard Community Services. On Martha's Vineyard he was one of the pioneers of the intervention method as the first step toward rehabilitation. Having committed himself wholeheartedly to helping victims of alcohol abuse" acknowledge and fight their demons, "he continued his work in that field for 11 years until 1988.He was subsequently, from 1994 to 2000, pastor or interim pastor of Baptist churches in Massachusetts and New Jersey, including the First Baptist Church in Vineyard Haven, where he resided for many years. Much beloved by the congregations he served, he was known to respond with alacrity and compassion to people in trouble.
A motorcycle enthusiast whose Suzuki had taken him twice across the country and who once rode his cycle up Pike's Peak, also enjoyed trout fishing and woodworking. After his retirement he returned to Bel Air, where his children resided and where he had community ties as a former captain of the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company and chairman of the Harford County Board for Social Services. He was also a past state chaplain for the Maryland Fire Association as well as the Maryland State Police.
The Rev. Lewis F.Cole, Jr., died in Bel Air on August 11, 2006. Predeceased by his former wife, he is survived by two daughters, Suzanne N. Martinek and Amy J. Craven; a son, Paul L.Cole; and five grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
George Arthur Rivers '49, a Realtor, was born on June 12, 1926, to George P., an engineer, and Elsie Griffith Rivers, in Hornell, NY. He prepared for college at Trinity School in New York City and entered the U.S. Navy following his graduation in 1944.He participated in its V-12 program at Vanderbilt University, and was commissioned as an ensign. He remained in uniform for two years through the end of World War II.
George Rivers came to College Hill from Jackson Heights, NY, in the fall of 1946,with advance credit for courses takenin the Navy. While on the Hill, he sang in the Choir and helped edit The Hamiltonian. As president of the Newman Club, he arranged for that campus organization to become part of the national Newman Club federation. Described as "quiet and studious, "but with "a Hamilton-developed sense of humor," he was graduated in 1949.
Soon thereafter, George Rivers entered the field of book publishing in New York City. Employed by John Wiley & Sons, he subsequently became manager of college sales for Random House and Alfred A. Knopf, Inc. In 1969, after a self-described" checkered career" in publishing, including 17 years with Random House, he left the field to become a licensed real estate broker in Delhi, NY, near Oneonta. As proprietor of Rivers Realty, he continued "pushing real estate" in that area for many years thereafter.
The College has obtained verification of George A. Rivers' death on January 8, 2005.He was unmarried, and the College has no information on survivors.
Return to Top
Franklin Drewes Fry '49, S.T.D. (Hon.) '76, a pastor for 44 years and leader in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and a former trustee of the College, was born on March 13, 1928, in Yonkers, NY. The elder son of the Rev. Dr. Franklin Clark Fry '21, D.D. (Hon) '46, president of the United Lutheran Church of America and internationally prominent in the ecumenical movement, and the former Hilda A. Drewes, Frank Fry grew up in Akron, OH, where he attended West High School. He followed his father to Hamilton 1945, joined Psi Upsilon, and lettered in football as a main stay of the varsity team. He was also active in the Musical Arts Society, served as daily program director for the campus radio station WHC, and chaired the Chapel Board in his senior year. Elected to DT and hailed in The Hamiltonian for his "integrity and high ideals" as well his sense of humor and sonorous voice, he was graduated in 1949.
Heeding a long-felt calling to the ministry, Frank Fry went on to the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, PA, where he earned his B.D. degree in 1952.On May 31 of that year, just before his ordination in the United Lutheran Church of America, he was wed to Mary E. Gotwald in New Rochelle, NY. He began his long and fruitful ministry at the Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Philip in Brooklyn, NY. Five years later, in 1958, he accepted a call from Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church in York, PA, where he remained for 13 years. His last call, in 1971, was to St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Summit, NJ, and there he continued as pastor until his retirement in 1996.
Beyond his pastoral duties, the Rev. Franklin D. Fry served his church at large in innumerable capacities, including membership on the executive committee of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) when is was first formed in 1987 out of a merger that succeeded the Lutheran Church of America, on whose executive committee he had also served. Besides being a guiding force in the early years of the ELCA, he continued his father's work as a leader in the ecumenical movement, serving on the executive committee of the LCA's ecumenical relations committee and later on the advisory committee of the ELCA's Department of Ecumenical Affairs. Vice president of the executive committee of the LCA's Board of American Missions, he was in addition vice chairman of the national committee for the Lutheran World Federation and a delegate to the World Council of Churches Assembly. A longtime member of the board of managers of the American Bible Society, he was locally active as trustee chairman of Northern New Jersey Health Care Systems and trustee of hospitals and other health care facilities as well as the Interfaith Council for the Homeless in Union County.
Franklin D. Fry's interest in education led him to serve on the boards of trustees of Susquehanna University, Upsala College, and the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia. A member of Hamilton's board as an alumni trustee from 1968 to 1974, he chaired its student affairs committee. His educational commitment also prompted him to serve as a consultant and participant in radio and television news programs and projects relating to religion and ecumenicism.
A lifelong Democrat who twice voted for Adlai Stevenson, Frank Fry, who had managed to catch foul balls off the bats of Joe DiMaggio and Yogi Berra in Yankee Stadium, was also passionate about baseball and especially the New York Yankees. An ardent jazz fan ever since he won his high school's jitterbug championship, he often, while on summer vacation at his cottage on Skaneateles Lake, acted as a guest host for The Sounds of Jazz, the public radio program regularly hosted out of Syracuse, NY, by his college classmate and friend, Leo Rayhill.
As a dedicated parish pastor and esteemed church leader, Franklin D. Fry was the recipient of honorary doctorates from Gettysburg, Muhlenberg, and Upsala colleges, as well as a doctorate of sacred theology from Hamilton.
The Rev. Dr. Franklin D. Fry was still residing in Summit when he died in November 5, 2006, following a two-year battle with leukemia. Predeceased by his wife Mary in 1991, he is survived by his second wife, the Rev. Sharon Roth Fry, whom he had wed in 2002. Also surviving are four daughters and a son from his first marriage, Anne E. Fry K'75, Mary G. Fry Bigini K'78, and Christine R. and Martha R. Fry '82, and Franklin G. Fry. Dr. Fry's brother, Robert C. Fry '52, predeceased him in 2004.
Return to Top