John Lee Norris '66, who attended Hamilton sporadically between 1963 and 1967, and received his A.B. degree in 1968, was born on July 25, 1944, in New York City. The son of John H., an attorney and judge, and Margaret Broga Norris, he prepared for college at the Hackley School in Tarrytown, NY, and came to the Hill from Irvington-on-Hudson after a year at the University of Vermont. He joined Alpha Delta Phi, sang in the Choir, and became a member of that merry band of socializers, Nous Onze. Between threats of a call-up by Selective Service during that Vietnam War era and his own self-admitted lack of motivation, he compiled an erratic record of attendance on the Hill. In 1965, he joined the New York State National Guard and was away part of the time for training with the U.S. Army. He served until 1970 and was discharged with the rank of sergeant.
The College has little information about John Norris's subsequent activities, except that in 1974 he was an account officer with First National City Bank in New York City, and two years later, he settled in the Washington, DC, area, where he was associated with the National Corporation for Housing Partnership.
John L. Norris was residing in Reston, VA, at the time of his death, on September 6, 2007, of cancer. According to a brief newspaper obituary, recently obtained, his only immediate survivors were three nieces.