Long engaged in advertising sales, was born on September 27, 1927, in Evanston, IL. The son of William G., who was employed in sales, and Sarah Alice Bennet McKeldin, he came to College Hill from Winnetka, IL, in the summer of 1945 as a graduate of New Trier High School. “Stu” McKeldin joined Psi Upsilon and was elected to the Student Council as well as vice president of the freshman class. However, he left the Hill in the spring of 1946, in response to a call from Selective Service. After a year in the Army, during which he attained the rank of sergeant, he returned to the College and resumed his studies. He also joined the staff of the newly established Spectator as well as the Royal Gaboon, and earned election to the journalism honorary Pi Delta Epsilon. In addition, he lettered in baseball.
Following his graduation in 1950, Stu McKeldin returned to the Chicago area, where he was employed by retailers Montgomery Ward & Co. and Carson, Pirie & Scott as a buyer. Wed to Mary H. Jones in Winnetka on May 16, 1953, he was appointed in 1959 to the advertising sales staff of Life magazine, based in St. Louis, MO. He remained with Time Inc. for 16 years, becoming its advertising sales manager in Atlanta, GA. Thereafter he established his own small advertising firm in Atlanta, the McKeldin Co., representing publishers throughout the Southeast. He owned and operated the firm for some 20 years.
An active member of the Dunwoody Country Club near Atlanta and onetime president of its Senior Men’s Group, Stu McKeldin gained legendary status at the Club by having amazingly achieved 10 holes in one on its links. On one particularly memorable day in 1989, he scored two of those holes in one in the same round.
Stuart A. McKeldin died in Atlanta on October 1, 2011, leaving his wife of 58 years. Also surviving are a son, Stuart C., and a daughter, Sarah C. McKeldin, as well as two grandchildren.
Return to Top
Who spent 42 years at sea with the U.S. Navy and the Merchant Marine, was born on May 11, 1930, in New York City. A son of Rae R.T. Jones, an insurance manager, and the former Margaret B. Knox, a school teacher, he prepared for college at Mount Hermon School in Massachusetts and came to Hamilton in 1947 from Harpursville, NY, not far from Binghamton. Known as Thornton, he joined Delta Upsilon and played soccer and ran track. Described by The Hamiltonian as the DU house’s “soccer man, one man intramural track team, and distinguished commentator on mankind,” he was graduated in 1951.
Having enlisted in the Navy during the Korean War era, Thornton Jones began his long maritime career as a seaman apprentice in September 1951. After six years in the Navy, during which he attained the rank of lieutenant commander, he served for 36 years as a captain in the Merchant Marine, working primarily with Mobil Oil Co. out of New York. In retirement he engaged in real-estate investment and divided the year between Florida in the winter and Lake Ontario in the summer.
R.R. Thornton Jones, a resident of Pulaski, NY, since 1984, died on July 11, 2011, at the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Syracuse. Unmarried, he is survived by his companion, Jane Hilliker, and a brother, Winfield Jones, as well as three nieces and a nephew.
Return to Top
Who retired as a senior manager after 28 years with the Xerox Corp., was born on March 2, 1930, in Rochester, NY. His parents were William F., a justice of the Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court, and Katherine Landy Kennedy Love, and he was a half-brother of Daniel G. 34, Charles F. ’35, and J. Lawrence Kennedy ’39. “Bill” Love grew up in Rochester, where he was graduated in 1947 from Aquinas Institute. After a year’s preparation at the Lawrenceville School in New Jersey, he entered Hamilton. He joined Theta Delta Chi, the Kennedy brothers’ fraternity, and later became its house treasurer as well as its president. (He would also later serve as its national treasurer.) The “ideal fraternity man,” according to The Hamiltonian, “collegiate Will” also participated in varsity track.
Soon after his graduation as an economics and psychology major in 1952, Bill Love began his military service with the U.S. Army. Drafted during the Korean War, he remained in uniform for almost four years until 1956, first as an Ordnance School instructor and subsequently as a special agent in the Counterintelligence Corps stationed in Washington, DC, and in Korea. On September 29, 1956, three months after his discharge as a sergeant first class, he was married to Ann Maria Colwell in Lima, NY.
Before the end of that year, Bill Love joined Republic Steel’s sales training program. He was soon assigned to the company’s export department in New York City. In 1964, he began work as an international market analyst at Republic Steel’s headquarters in Cleveland, OH. By 1967, observing “the further erosion of the industry,” he decided to move on to an industry with a brighter future by joining the Latin American Group of Xerox Corp.
Initially, Bill Love managed order processing and billing operations for Xerox throughout South America and the Caribbean. In 1969, he switched to the company’s domestic side as a writer of manuals, designer of training courses, and instructor. Traveling from his Rochester, NY, base throughout the country, he introduced new computer-based systems and training programs, and coped with local administrative process problems. His career as an “educator” subsequently included operating a training center for Xerox systems personnel until 1990, when he became the corporation’s contract marketing manager. He retired in 1995.
In retirement, Bill Love kept busy with his hobby of woodworking as well as bookkeeping for the business run by one of his sons. An ardently devoted alumnus and enthusiastic leader of the Class of 1952, he also planned and chaired reunions and faithfully attended each of them, even when in a wheelchair.
William F. Love, Jr., although plagued in recent years with a debilitating neurological disorder, remained cheerful and upbeat until his life’s end. A resident of the Rochester suburb of Pittsford, he died on June 2, 2011. Predeceased by his wife Ann in 1988, he is survived by their children, William F. Love III, Margaret “Meg” McGuckin ’83, the 13th member of the Kennedy-Love family to attend the College, and Timothy W. Love. Also surviving are six grandchildren, and nieces and nephews, including Charles C. ’62, Andrew S. ’70, and James O. Kennedy ’74, as well as Carol McCarthy K’75.
Return to Top
A retired Trans World Airlines pilot, was born on September 21, 1929, to James Sidway, a sales manager, and the former Jane M. Spitzmiller, in Cleveland, OH. “Pete” Sidway grew up in the Detroit, MI, suburbs, where he prepared for college at Cranbrook School in Bloomfield Hills. Encouraged by his advisor, Howard E. Yule ’24, he applied to Hamilton and arrived on the Hill in 1948. A member of Psi Upsilon, he played hockey and successfully pursued premedical studies for 2 ½ years until the end of 1950, when he withdrew to enter military service after the outbreak of the Korean War.
Pete Sidway entered the U.S. Air Force, was trained as a pilot, and commissioned as an officer. He served for five years, flew combat missions in Korea, and attained the rank of lieutenant. He contemplated returning to Hamilton to complete his studies upon his discharge in 1955, or alternatively, applying for admission to law school. However, impelled by financial considerations, he instead found employment in the airlines industry with TWA. Captain Sidway thereafter “had 33 years doing something he loved” until his retirement.
Peter Sidway was residing in Exmore, VA, when he died unexpectedly on February 13, 2011. Among survivors is his wife, Jill.
Return to Top
A former railroad executive and consultant who played a role in the creation of Amtrak and Conrail, was born on March 26, 1930, in Newtown, PA. The son of Robert K. and Margaret W. Tomlinson, he came to Hamilton from Westtown, PA, in 1948. He was a graduate of Westtown School, a Quaker institution for which his father was business manager. While on the Hill, “Dick” Tomlinson joined the Emerson Literary Society and went out for track and swimming. However, he left after only three semesters to return to Pennsylvania and continue his studies at Swarthmore College. After acquiring his B.A. degree from Swarthmore in 1952, he moved to Washington, DC, to serve for a year as a management analyst in the U.S. Department of State. It was followed by another year as financial analyst for Republic Life Insurance Co. In 1954, he joined Ford Motor Co. in Michigan as a financial analyst, only to return to Washington six years later to become associated with McKinsey & Co., a management consulting firm.
Dick Tomlinson began his career in railroad transportation in 1965, when he was named director of passenger services for the Reading Co. in Philadelphia. In that post, he made an effort to improve the railroad’s passenger services at a time when such services were generally in steep and deplorable decline throughout the country. In 1972, President Richard M. Nixon appointed Dick Tomlinson as executive president and chief financial officer of Amtrak, the new quasi-public company created to take over operation of the nation’s passenger trains. Two years later, he returned to Philadelphia to become a partner in LTK Engineering Services, a transportation consulting firm. He was a consultant to the federal government when it established Conrail, charged with operating the nation’s freight train lines beginning in 1976. Mr. Tomlinson was chairman of LTK from 1985 until his retirement in 1995.
In retirement, Dick Tomlinson became an accomplished bird carver. He also continued to swim laps in his backyard pool in Villanova, PA. He and his wife, Barbara Brazill Tomlinson, whom he had married in 1955, especially enjoyed vacationing in the Caribbean and spending time at their summer home in Avalon on the New Jersey shore, where Dick eagerly took to the water with his grandchildren.
J. Richard Tomlinson died on July 22, 2011, while hospitalized in Bryn Mawr, PA, of complications from surgery. In addition to his wife of 56 years, he is survived by a daughter, Kimberley Donahue, and five grandchildren. His elder daughter, Karin Pizzatola, predeceased him in 2008.
Return to Top
Who began his career in journalism and ended it as a high school English teacher, was born on March 12, 1931, in Brooklyn, NY. The only child of Kenneth J., employed in the insurance industry, and Frances Morse Patton Kerr, a public school teacher, he prepared for college at Trinity School in Manhattan and entered Hamilton from Jackson Heights, Queens, in 1949. “Russ” Kerr, also known as “Rusty,” became a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon. An aspiring journalist who had edited Trinity’s student newspaper, he wrote for the Continental and Spectator, reporting on cultural activities on the Hill. While majoring in English literature and French, he also sang in the Choir and displayed his thespian talents with the Charlatans. Aided by the sympathetic understanding and encouragement of Dean Winton Tolles, he overcame personal as well as academic difficulties to earn his diploma in 1953.
Russ Kerr began his first job in journalism as a reporter for the Worcester (MA) Telegram and Gazette. He soon moved on to the Reporter-Dispatch in White Plains, NY. In 1962, after employment as a public relations writer for New York Telephone Co. in New York City, he turned to teaching in the public schools of Westport, CT. Having added an M.Ed. degree in English from Columbia Teachers College to his credentials in 1966, he continued to teach in Westport for 23 years until his retirement from Staples High School in 1985.
The following year, Russ Kerr moved from Ridgefield, CT, to Sun City, AZ, to be near his aged mother. An accomplished pianist and longtime choir member and soloist, he continued his devotion to music in retirement. He sang in the choir of the Unitarian Universalist Church in Surprise, AZ, and directed the chorus of the Thunderbird Retirement Resort. He also occasionally served as a substitute teacher in local schools. Known to his friends for his “positive upbeat humor,” he was for them “a true gentleman, gracious, classy and kind to the end.”
Briefly ill, J. Ruskin Kerr, a faithful alumnus, died in Glendale, AZ, on June, 11, 2011. Unmarried, he leaves no survivors except for his many friends.
Return to Top
A devoted, and fondly remembered, musician and teacher, was born on December 8, 1928, in Paris, France. He was the son of Guy du Bourg, an electrical engineer from an aristocratic French family, and his American wife, the former Odette Feder (later Mrs. George M. Moffett), “Tony” du Bourg came to the United States at age 11, when World War II broke out in Europe, and enrolled at St. Paul’s School in New Hampshire, from which he was graduated in 1947. At his father’s insistence, he began studies in engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, but soon found that he had no interest in a career in that field. His mother had by then remarried and was residing in Maryland at the time, and Tony’s stepfather made use of Hamilton connections to pave Tony’s way to College Hill. He came to the Hill from Queenstown, MD, in 1949, still betraying traces of a French accent. He joined Chi Psi and immediately plunged into the musical life of the campus. For four years he devoted himself wholeheartedly to the Glee Club and Choir, and also played the Chapel organ as a kind of assistant to choir director John Baldwin, with whom he developed a lifelong friendship. Also active in the Charlatans, Tony gained a reputation as a mechanical genius who “could fix everything on campus except for the Union game.” He concentrated in music as well as mathematics and English, and captured the Nelson Clark Dale, Jr. Prize in Music the year of his graduation in 1953.
Two years later, after fulfilling his military service obligation in the U.S. Army, Tony du Bourg was advised by Dean Winton Tolles that the Pingry School in New Jersey was looking for a physics and general science teacher. He joined its faculty in 1956, and it marked the beginning of a highly successful and influential 46-year career at that preparatory school. He soon added music to the courses he taught and played a key role in founding and developing the school’s musical ensembles, including its glee club and brass choir. He also directed its musical groups, chaired its music department for several years, and oversaw the production of musicals before Pingry introduced a drama department. It was “all in the John Baldwin Hamilton College tradition,” as he would later remark.
Known to Pingry students for his inventive turn of mind as well as his charmingly eccentric personality, Tony du Bourg was ever helpful to his faculty colleagues, “always making certain that they had the necessary equipment in time for class,” even if he had to fashion it himself. Out of his personal pocket, he was also exceedingly generous to the school, buying supplies and equipment for the science department, which he chaired for a time. He even purchased musical instruments and rebuilt the school’s organ, adding new pipes and controls with the help of some of his physics students. A “marvelous” teacher with an amazing knack for inspiring student involvement, and “fun to be around,” he left a permanent legacy in both music and science at Pingry, where the Antoine du Bourg Physics Award is presented each year in his honor.
In 2002, Tony du Bourg left Pingry to take on a new job and challenge at St. George’s School in Rhode Island. There he reinvigorated the glee club and choir, and introduced a brass choir, and there too he displayed his exceptional talent in “generating adolescent enthusiasm.” As at Pingry, he elevated the quality of St. George’s music program and became its heart and soul.
Beyond teaching and his devotion to music, Tony du Bourg loved sailing. It was shared with his longtime friend, companion, and collaborator, Clare Gesualdo, a former fellow Pingry music teacher. Joined by students and friends, they often embarked on summer sailing adventures out of Martha’s Vineyard and around Cape Cod.
Antoine du Bourg was residing in Newport, RI, and completing 55 years of teaching when he died in his sleep on May 12, 2011. Unmarried, he leaves no survivors except Clare Gesualdo, his friend for over 40 years. Besides the rich legacy he left to Pingry and St. George’s, his legacy to Hamilton includes the du Bourg Scholarship and Travel Fund, and a musical instrument maintenance fund.
Return to Top
A retired Eastman Kodak Co. data processing supervisor, grew up in Watertown, NY, where he was born on March 31, 1932. A son of Lyle H. Harter, operator of an automobile repair shop, and the former Muriel I. Hardy, he enrolled at Hamilton in 1950 from Watertown High School. Phil Harter joined Lambda Chi Alpha and contributed his voice to the Glee Club. Perhaps best remembered for his management of the Student Laundry Agency, he majored in mathematics and economics, and was graduated in 1954.
Phil Harter next entered Harvard Business School, where he obtained his M.B.A. in accounting and finance in 1956. On December 22 of that year, he and Joanna Trayser, his high school classmate and a registered nurse, were married in Watertown. Four years in the U.S. Navy for Phil Harter followed. Commissioned as an ensign, he served as a line officer on heavy cruisers and, ultimately, on the cruiser division staff of Rear Admiral Lawson T. Ramage. During sea duty in the Mediterranean, the then Lt. Harter was involved in a helicopter crash that ultimately required him to undergo three operations on his back.
Released from active duty in 1960, Phil Harter soon joined Eastman Kodak, manufacturers of photographic products, in Rochester, NY. Beginning as a computer programmer in its Data Processing Service, he was promoted to senior systems analyst and coordinator of its marketing management information systems. As coordinator, he was instrumental in the development of Kodak’s marketing information system as well as the design and implementation of its computerized catalog system, which continues in use today. He took early retirement from Eastman Kodak in 1986. He had earlier retired, after 16 years of service, from the Naval Reserve with the rank of lieutenant commander.
In 1989, Phil Harter moved from the Rochester suburb of Pittsford, where he had been a senior warden and deacon of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, to Colton, in New York’s North Country. He spent his winters in Yuma, AZ. Among his enjoyments were camping in the Adirondacks, woodworking (he made rocking horses for each of his grandchildren), and leather tooling, as well as cooking.
Philip J. Harter, a devoted alumnus who took great interest in the College’s welfare, died at his home in Colton on January 7, 2011. Predeceased in 2009 by his wife, he is survived by three daughters, Lisa Harter, Laurie House, and Jennifer Harter; a son, Jeffrey J. Harter; and three grandchildren and a brother.
Return to Top
Whose varied career encompassed stock brokerage, banking, journalism, and advertising sales, was born on June 26, 1932, in Summit, NJ. His parents were Joseph S. Parry, Jr., an industrial manager, and the former Helen Jobson. “Mike” Parry came to College Hill in 1950 from Westfield, NJ, as a graduate of Westfield High School. He joined Theta Delta Chi and went out for j.v. football. He also sang in the Choir and served as layout editor of The Hamiltonian in his senior year. Described as “that trim figure with hand extended, ever poised for the possible handshake,” he was known for his gregariousness. Chosen for membership in Nous Onze, he overcame academic difficulties with the help of summer courses at the University of Pittsburgh and the encouragement of Dean Winton Tolles to earn his diploma, majoring in English and political science, in 1955.
Mike Parry briefly attended the University of Pittsburgh’s law school and sold Fuller brushes before enlisting in the U.S. Army in 1956. He served for two years and was stationed with an intelligence unit in La Rochelle, France. After leaving the Army, he remained in Europe for three years, working as a mutual fund sales manager in Spain. On November 21, 1958, he was married to Delores Rainer in Tangier, Morocco. After his return to the States, he worked in securities sales for Hemphill Noyes & Co., first in New York City and then in San Francisco, CA, where he was later employed in the trust department of Crocker Bank.
Following a stint as copy editor for Starmast Publications in Stockton, CA, Mike Parry became a freelance writer of children’s stories. In the early 1980s he moved back to the East Coast, and in 1986 he joined the advertising sales department of the Journal in Alexandria, VA. During his 13-year career with that newspaper, he won a number of sales awards. In 2001, he took up residence in Montross, VA, and last worked in advertising sales for The Free Lance-Star in Fredericksburg.
Ardently devoted to music and a choir singer throughout his life, Mike Parry continued his singing in the choir of the United Methodist Church. He also enjoyed extensive travel. Friends knew him for his sharp wit and wide-ranging interests, as well as his compassion and concern for others.
C. Michael Parry died on August 21, 2011, at his home in Montross, having never lost hope or spirit after more than a decade of battle with cancer. He is survived by his wife, Lavinia “Vini” Jewell-Parry. Also surviving are three sons and a daughter from his first marriage, Michael, Rhys, Christopher, and Caitlin Parry, as well as four stepdaughters, 13 grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
A Presbyterian minister who also worked on Capitol Hill and as legislative counsel for a national trade organization, was born on August 26, 1932, in Orange, NJ. A son of Albert, a chemist, and Helen Bahnmiller Saunders, he grew up in Maplewood, NJ, and came to College Hill in 1950 from that city’s Columbia High School. Al Saunders, who joined Tau Kappa Epsilon, engaged in an impressive variety of extracurricular activities, including student governance, in which he took a prominent role. Secretary of the Student Christian Association, he also played in the Band and sang in the Choir and with the Buffers, the a cappella group that he in addition managed as a senior. His activities culminated in his senior year when he served as president of the Student Council, president of Pentagon, and vice president of his class as well as a member of the Interfraternity Council. Majoring in English literature, having given up his original intention of preparing for a career in medicine, he was graduated in 1954 with honors in public speaking.
Al Saunders had barely begun work in the banking field when he was drafted into the U.S. Army. He served for two years until 1956, and was stationed for a time in Germany. Thereafter, having decided on a religious vocation, he entered Princeton Theological Seminary, where he acquired his B.D. degree in 1959. He was ordained as a minister of the Presbyterian Church (USA) that year. While serving as assistant minister of Wallingford Presbyterian Church in Wallingford, PA, he continued graduate studies at the Seminary. On September 19, 1959, in Wallingford, he was married to Carol Anne Stacy. After acquiring a Th.M. degree in American church history in 1961, he entered the graduate program in political science and ethics at Duke University, where he was awarded his Ph.D. in 1968.
By 1963, Al Saunders had settled in the Washington, DC, area. There he joined the staff of the Washington office of the National Council of Churches of Christ and became its director of research and publications. He also became secretary for national affairs of the Presbyterian Church (USA) in Washington, engaged in legislative analysis. From 1969 to 1978, he served on the senior staffs of U.S. Senators Harrison A. Williams (D-NJ) and Hubert H. Humphrey (D-MN). Director of legislation for former Vice President Humphrey, he left Capitol Hill after briefly serving in that same capacity for Muriel Humphrey, who had temporarily succeeded her husband in the Senate following his death.
Appointed legislative counsel for the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers Association of America in 1979, Al Saunders retained that post until his retirement in 1995. For several years thereafter he continued as a consultant to that lobbying organization. The author over the years of articles on public issues, he found time during retirement to write The Reality and Ethics of Jesus: Issues and History. A book about the contemporary relevance of Jesus’s teachings, it was published in 2008. His other interests in recent years included photography and gardening.
Al Saunders, a resident of Fairfax County, VA, until 2009, was long a member of the National Capital Presbytery, a church governing body of members and elders. He also volunteered in assisting local Virginia Presbyterian churches with their educational programs. In addition, he had served as a chaplain in the U.S. Army Reserve for more than two decades until his retirement as a colonel.
The Rev. Dr. Albert C. Saunders, a loyal alumnus, died at his home in Oceanside, CA, on June 9, 2011, of congestive heart failure. In addition to his wife of 51 years, he is survived by a son, David S. Saunders; a daughter, Elizabeth Vinoskey; and three granddaughters and a brother.
Return to Top
A retired claims representative for the Social Security Administration, grew up in Utica, NY, where he was born on January 12, 1930. One of six children of Frederick L., a state Alcohol Control Board executive officer, and Leila Denniston Hayes, he attended Utica Free Academy for two years until the spring of 1947, when he left to enlist in the U.S. Navy. Trained as a sonar specialist, he served until the end of 1951. He then returned to UFA to complete his high school studies, and was graduated in 1953.
After briefly attending Utica College of Syracuse University, Pete Hayes transferred to Hamilton, in part at the urging of his eldest brother, Frederick O. Hayes ’47. At age 23, he became the “Grand Old Man” of Delta Phi’s pledge class. A commuting student who held down a part-time job at an A&P grocery store in Utica, he was awarded his diploma, having majored in history and economics, in 1956.
Married on September 1 of that year to his college sweetheart, Mary Joan Brady, in Utica, Pete Hayes taught junior high school English for a year in nearby New York Mills. In 1957, after brief employment as a cost accounting assistant for General Electric, he began his long career as a claims representative in the Social Security Administration’s district office in Utica. With the exception of three years as a career development specialist at Griffiss Air Force Base in Rome, NY (1962-65), he remained with the Social Security Administration until his retirement in 1986. He was subsequently employed as a long-term disability specialist by Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. (1989-94) and was thereafter self-employed as a disability claims consultant.
Pete Hayes, who served as president of the local unions of the American Federation of Government Employees, was also a former educational vice president and assistant area governor of Toastmasters International. An avid handball devoteé (he played three times weekly for many years), he was in addition an enthusiastic long-distance runner who participated in no fewer than 17 Utica Boilermaker races. Among family and friends he was known for his rock-ribbed integrity and as an idealist and “eternal rebel [who] refused any and all attempts to mold him into a more conventional sort.”
Peter D. Hayes, a lifelong resident of Utica, died in nearby New Hartford on October 12, 2011. Predeceased by his wife in 1986, he is survived by three sons, Mark B., Patrick B., and Peter B. Hayes; two daughters, Christine B. Hayes and Molly B. Green; five grandchildren, and two sisters; and nieces and nephews, including Sara D. K’73, and Christopher R. Hayes ’86, and Felicia Marie Di Marco Shultzaberger ’92. His brother Frederick predeceased him in 2002.
Return to Top
Who taught English at Suffolk County Community College on Long Island for 30 years, was born on August 23, 1932, in Kingston, NY. His parents were Alfred D., a sales manager, and Evelyn Mae Brown Van Buren. “Al” Van Buren enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps following his graduation from New Rochelle High School in 1950. He served for two years as a field radio operator and was stationed for a time in Europe during that Korean War era. Encouraged by an uncle, Lucas Boeve ’31, he applied to Hamilton. He arrived on the Hill from New Rochelle in 1952, his educational expenses covered by the G.I. Bill.
Al Van Buren, personable and popular, engaged in varsity swimming, sang in the Choir, and trouped with the Charlatans. He exhibited a flair for public speaking and was awarded the McKinney Prize as well as the Fayerweather Prize Scholarship in his freshman year. A member of Chi Psi and elected president of its lodge, he majored in English but had a strong interest in other languages, and was active in the French and Spanish clubs. He left the Hill with his diploma in 1956, accompanied by high praise from Dean Winton Tolles, and with law school as his destination.
Accepted at Albany Law School, Al Van Buren was compelled to withdraw for financial reasons after a semester and find employment. He briefly worked for the American Red Cross in Albany, followed by a year as a teacher at Riverdale Country School. From 1958 to 1960, he tried his hand at banking with Morgan Guaranty Trust Co. While employed there, he pursued an M.A. degree at Columbia University’s Teachers College, having decided that his future lay in the field of education. While in the library at Columbia one day, he met Barbara K. Einicke, and they were married on June 6, 1959, in Jamaica, NY.
Al Van Buren acquired his degree from Teachers College in 1960 and joined the faculty of Baldwin Senior High School in Baldwin, NY. In 1963, he obtained a second M.A., in English, from New York University. He remained on Baldwin’s faculty until 1967, when he began his long tenure at Suffolk County Community College. As a teacher of English, he had a particular interest in science fiction, which he labeled “the new mythology,” and he began a class in it that became highly popular. Willa Cather remained among his favorite novelists, and he enjoyed teaching her works about life on the prairie in his introductory literature courses. He retired as a professor of English from Suffolk in 1997, although he subsequently taught there on a temporary basis for a time.
Al Van Buren’s favorite leisure-time activities were of a strenuous kind. While camping every summer in the Adirondacks, he took to mountain-climbing and canoeing. He also became intensely involved in exploring the “mind-body-sport connection” through Tai-Chi, and in martial arts, especially Aikido, in which at age 70 he earned a black belt. When “not in the classroom or the dojo,” he, along with his wife, enjoyed travel. He also enjoyed Broadway musicals as well as opera, and had season tickets to the Metropolitan.
Alfred D. Van Buren, Jr. was exceedingly devoted to the College and generously supportive of it. He served this magazine faithfully as correspondent for his class from 1981 to 2008. Long a resident of East Setauket, NY, he died in nearby Port Jefferson on August 6, 2011. Survivors include his wife of 52 years; a daughter, Amy S. Van Buren; two sons, Robert A. and Peter D. Van Buren; and a grandson and a brother.
Return to Top
Whose own experience with schizophrenia prompted him to become a tireless advocate for the mentally ill, was born on January 30, 1935, in Framingham, MA. A son of Terrence B., a lab technician, and Helen Richardson Quarton, a state hospital dietitian, he was reared by his mother in Southborough, MA, after his father “disappeared” from their lives. Dave Quarton prepared for college at St. Mark’s School in Southborough and came to the Hill in 1953, his education financed by a scholarship from the New England Alumni Association. He joined Lambda Chi Alpha, over whose house he would preside as a senior. Plunging enthusiastically and with an infectious smile into campus activities, he sang in the Choir and with the Buffers, and was active in the Student Christian Association. According to The Hamiltonian, he combined “the high marks of the classroom with the black and blue marks of the gridiron” as a stalwart tackle on the varsity football squad. In addition, he was a member of the newly organized albeit short-lived wrestling team. Often introspective and an idealist who aspired to a career as a medical missionary since boyhood, he received the Captain Gerald FitzGerald Dale Senior Scholarship and was graduated with honors in chemistry in 1957.
Dave Quarton went on to pursue medical studies at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He first experienced the symptoms of schizophrenia while in medical school, which led to his withdrawal after three years there. He subsequently returned to Massachusetts and became a research assistant at the Worcester Foundation for Experimental Biology. In 1967, while undergoing treatment at Worcester State Hospital, he earned an M.A. degree in physics from Clark University. He was thereafter placed in charge of the Worcester Foundation’s mass spectrometry lab.
In 1972, Dave Quarton relocated to Denver, CO. Because he could not find a job either in teaching or the sciences, he worked as an orderly at a nursing home and volunteered for several years at the University Hospital. By the late 1980s, he was serving as president of the board of Capital Hill Action and Recreation Group (CHARG), a nonprofit organization representing the interests of the mentally ill. In 1989, he helped to establish CHARG’s Resource Center and began his ardent advocacy for the poor and disabled as well as those afflicted with mental illness. A drop-in psychiatric clinic, the Center was unusual if not unique in encouraging its “consumers” to have a direct voice and take an active role in their own treatment, an approach that Dave Quarton vigorously backed. He testified before the Denver City Council and the Colorado Joint Budget Committee on behalf of mental health consumers, pleading that they be given a voice in developing the mental health policies of the city and state. In addition, he drew upon his personal experience with both mental illness and homelessness in speaking to university classes, hospital staff members, and church groups.
Dave Quarton, a lifetime honorary member of CHARG’s consumer board, received several awards for his advocacy on behalf of the mentally ill as well as the poor, disabled, and homeless. And shortly before his death, CHARG’s drop-in center was renamed in his honor. Until the end of his life, he continued to be active in the Capital Heights Presbyterian Church and as a mathematics tutor. He also continued to do research in physics and wrote about the relationship between physics and certain religious traditions.
David J.M. Quarton died in Denver, of cancer, on July 18, 2011, leaving a legacy of generous commitment and caring that had touched many lives. He is survived by his wife, Barbara Ann Pigford Quarton, whom he had married in 1989. Also surviving are a brother, Edward Quarton, and nieces and nephews.
Return to Top
Who taught English at Quincy University in his native Quincy, IL, and took an active role in community affairs, was born on September 14, 1935. The son of Ridgely B., a manufacturer, and Elizabeth Calkins Pierson, he prepared for college at Woodberry Forest School in Virginia and entered Hamilton in 1953 from Quincy. “Ridge” Pierson joined Psi Upsilon and served on the Freshman Council and for three years on the Chapel Board. Known as “Psi U’s literary giant” because of his passion for reading and writing, he was graduated in 1957 with honors in English. Two years later, he acquired an M.A. degree in English from Stanford University. In 1962, following a two-year hitch in the U.S. Army, primarily teaching English to recruits at Fort Buchanan in Puerto Rico, he returned to Hamilton as an instructor in the English Department. He left again in 1964, after completing his two-year temporary appointment, accompanied by Dean Winton Tolles’ enthusiastic recommendation as “a first-rate teacher and a conscientious and cooperative colleague.”
In 1966, after a year on the faculty of Worcester Academy in Massachusetts, Ridge Pierson went back to his hometown to teach at Quincy High School. A year later, he became an assistant professor at what was then Quincy College and chaired its English Department from 1974 to 1978. In 1989, after a decade as a “gentleman of leisure,” during which he traveled widely and “almost compulsively,” he rejoined the Quincy University faculty as an adjunct professor. He retained that position until his retirement in 2002. Highly active in university affairs, he served on numerous academic committees and as a student advisor.
Within the community, Ridge Pierson contributed his time and attention to a wide range of organizations and causes. A member of the board of directors of the Historical Society of Quincy and Adams County, he also served on the steering committee of the Friends of Historic Woodland Cemetery. His other memberships included the boards of the Quincy Public Library, the Quincy Civic Music Association, and the Quincy Art Center, for which he helped initiate the funding of a building addition and an endowment. His volunteer activities encompassed Planned Parenthood, Family Planning, and the Progressive Playhouse, and he also facilitated group sessions to promote human rights. A longtime member of the Quincy Unitarian Church, he was noted in all his community activities for his integrity as well as candor.
Ridgely B. Pierson, Jr., a generously supportive alumnus, died in Quincy on September 25, 2011. Unmarried, his only survivors are two cousins.
Return to Top
An investments manager, was born on September 2, 1936, to Herbert C., a steel engraver, and Ida Muermann Goebel, in Bridgeport, CT. He grew up in nearby Stratford, where he was graduated in 1954 from Stratford High School. Ray Goebel came to College Hill that year and joined Delta Kappa Epsilon. Majoring in Spanish, he left the Hill with his A.B. degree in 1958.
Ray Goebel soon sailed for Europe, thanks to a Rotary International fellowship. With his family’s German background and his aptitude for languages, he took full advantage of the year abroad. Based at the University of Hamburg, he often spoke to Rotary clubs in Germany. After his return to the States, he served a two-year hitch in the U.S. Army. While in military service, he became intensely interested in the stock market and decided upon a career in the financial investment field. Released from the Army in 1962, he returned briefly to Europe to marry Anabel Bryden in Paris on April 7. She was a Frenchwoman whom he had met during his year as a Rotary fellow.
The newlyweds settled in New York City, where Ray Goebel began his long career in Manhattan with the brokerage firm of Merrill Lynch. He was subsequently associated with other brokerage houses, as well as Spencer Trask & Co., an institutional research firm. After a few years of living in Manhattan, the Goebels moved to Connecticut, where their sons grew up and where Ray later managed money for institutional and private clients at Herzfeld & Stern in Stamford. In 1985, he decided to strike out on his own by forming Goebel Investment Management, a small firm that he operated out of his home in Wilton, CT. He retired in 1998.
While residing in Wilton, Ray Goebel became active in community affairs. He chaired the town’s Board of Tax Review as well as its Planning and Zoning Commissions, and was a strong advocate for town planning. A man of many and varied interests, he not only was a master gardener and apple orchard tender and cider maker, but also a maker of fine furniture. Among his favorite leisure-time activities were backpacking jaunts, boating, and listening to classical music.
After Ray’s retirement, the Goebels left Connecticut winters behind to take up residence in Chesapeake, VA. Raymond H. Goebel, a devoted alumnus, was still residing in Chesapeake when he died on March 22, 2011. Besides his wife of 49 years, he is survived by two sons, Timothy H. ’85 and Christopher Goebel, and three grandchildren.
Return to Top
A retired public school teacher and former textbook salesman, grew up on a farm near Rome, NY, where he was born on January 6, 1937. The son of Myrne A. and Sarah Suits Moose (later Mowers), his father died when Dick Moose was a boy. President of the Student Council at Westmoreland Central School in his senior year, he came to College Hill in 1954. He joined the Emerson Literary Society as well as the Choir. Majoring in biology and chemistry, he spent almost every afternoon in the lab, followed by “endless card games” at ELS, where he also found time to manage the kitchen. He was graduated in 1958. Shortly thereafter, on June 21, he and Jean D. Storey, a teacher, were married in Westmoreland.
After leaving the Hill, Dick Moose taught science for seven years at New Hartford High School. He also took courses in education at Cornell University. In 1965, with his family increasing in size, he left teaching to enter the field of educational publishing as a sales agent for Harcourt Brace & Jovanovich, and later Scott, Foresman & Co. While residing in various places in upstate New York, he spent much time on the road, selling textbooks. He became vice president of the state’s Association of Educational Sales Representatives. However, after 24 years, he returned to his “first love,” the teaching of chemistry. Beginning in 1989, and for a dozen years until his retirement, he taught chemistry and life sciences at Mt. Morris (NY) Central School.
After their retirements, Jean and Dick Moose divided the year between their homes in Leicester, south of Rochester, NY, and the Thousand Islands area. Dick, formerly active in the Boy Scouts and a past president of the local Kiwanis Club, had also been active in the Methodist Church. In retirement, he enjoyed fishing and sailing, as well as woodworking, especially making and restoring furniture. In addition, he read voraciously and was particularly interested in early New York State history.
Richard E. Moose, a faithful alumnus known for his sense of humor, many talents, and love of life, was still residing in Leicester when he died on June 20, 2011. In addition to his wife of 53 years, he is survived by three daughters, Lori Anne O’Neill, Teresa Kershner, and Katharine Matthis ’93; a son Richard Edwin Moose; and 10 grandchildren and two sisters.
Return to Top
An optometrist and former high school science teacher, grew up in Massena, NY, where he was born on June 11, 1937. A son of James E., a dairy farmer, and Gertrude Bortle Sullivan, he attended Massena High School while also helping out on the family farm, and was graduated in 1955. Jim Sullivan entered Hamilton that fall and joined Tau Kappa Epsilon. He went out for football and engaged in wrestling, and became known, according to The Hamiltonian, as “a man having many opinions but few words.” With scholarship assistance and quietly working his way through the College, he earned his diploma as a biology and chemistry major in 1959.
Aspiring to a career in medicine, Jim Sullivan became a laboratory research technician at the State University of New York’s Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse. On November 5, 1960, in Syracuse, he and Gloria Mierzwinski were wed. After three years at the Medical Center, he turned to science teaching, first at Edwards (NY) Central Schools, later Parishville Hopkinton High School, and finally Potsdam Central High School, not far from his hometown of Massena in New York’s North Country. During his nine years at Potsdam, he served as head defensive coach of the boys’ football team. Along the way, he completed work on an M.S. degree at SUNY College, Potsdam.
After his graduation in 1975 from the Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Jim Sullivan returned to Potsdam to establish his practice. He became regional president of the New York State Optometric Association and was also active in community affairs as president of the Potsdam Lions Club and a member of the town’s Republican committee. He was an avid hockey fan and had a collector’s passion for automobiles.
Dr. James B. Sullivan, a faithful alumnus, was still residing in Potsdam when he died on August 8, 2011, at a medical center in Burlington, VT. Surviving, in addition to his wife of 50 years, are three sons, Michael J. ’83, Matthew, and Thomas L. Sullivan ’00, as well as six grandchildren.
Return to Top
A former assistant secretary of admission at Hamilton who went on to a distinguished career as a college and university administrator, was born on January 14, 1938, in Watertown, NY. The youngest of four brothers, sons of Albert B. Scholl, principal of Watertown High School, and the former Katherine Schuyler Dunham, “Tim” Scholl had a particular passion for music. As a teenage pianist, organist, and bass player, as well as a singer, he performed as a soloist with choirs and concert bands. He entered Hamilton in 1955, following his graduation from Watertown High School, where he had been vice president of the Student Council and a member of the tennis squad.
On the Hill, Tim Scholl continued his lively interest in music, lending his baritone voice to the Choir and the a cappella octet, the Buffers, of which he became leader. He also founded and led the Jazz Quintet. In addition, he compiled an outstanding record as a campus leader, in particular as president of the Student Senate and of his fraternity. When the local chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha broke with the national organization over its discriminatory policies, he led in the founding of an independent successor, Gryphon, and presided over it during its early and difficult months of struggle. A recipient of the Captain Gerald FitzGerald Dale Senior Scholarship and elected to Pentagon, he majored in government and was graduated in 1959, leaving behind a record as a student leader “as strong as that ever made by any Hamilton undergraduate,” in the words of Dean Winton Tolles.
After a year as a Woodrow Wilson Fellow in International Relations at Princeton University, Tim Scholl went back to his hometown, where he briefly worked as an editorial writer for the Watertown Daily Times. Married on November 26, 1960, to Susan Sedgwick Hyde, sister of Henry V. Hyde, Jr. ’58, in Washington, DC, he moved with his bride to New York City, where Tim taught history and civics at Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School in Brooklyn. In 1963, they took up residence in Clinton when Tim returned to Hamilton to serve for two years as assistant to Secretary of Admission Sidney B. Bennett. That experience paved the way for his future career as an admissions and financial aid administrator.
In 1965, the Scholls moved to the Midwest, where Tim became assistant to the director of admissions and financial aid at the University of Chicago. During his years there, while chairing the committee on college financial aid and doing some teaching, he also pursued graduate studies in the philosophy of education and earned an M.A. degree in 1971. A year later, the Scholls left Chicago for Portland, OR, when Tim was appointed dean of admissions at Reed College. During his four years there he contributed greatly to Reed’s reputation as attracting “the best and the brightest.”
In 1977, Tim Scholl accepted the position of dean of admissions and financial aid, as well as associate dean of arts and science, at the University of Rochester, back in New York State. Shortly thereafter, at the age of 39, he suffered a massive stroke that left him incapacitated for some time. Although he rallied and persevered, his marriage became a casualty of those years of pain and rehabilitation. He and Susan were divorced in 1983, the year he concluded his tenure at the University of Rochester.
In 1988, Tim Scholl again moved back to the West Coast when named director of admissions at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. It capped his career as an educational administrator. Following his retirement shortly thereafter from Gonzaga because of continuing health problems, he returned to the East to take up residence in Virginia Beach, VA, near his daughter Ellen and her family. He swam as often as he could in the Atlantic Ocean and proved to be a regular at the local public library. Music, always an important part of his life, became even more so in his later years. He had actively participated in musical organizations wherever he resided, and in retirement. Saying that “I still have ideas and melodies in my soul yet to be recorded,” he devoted much of his time to composing for the piano, some 350 pieces in all. As his daughter Elizabeth has observed, “music reflected his very soul.”
Timothy W. Scholl, a victim in his last two years of small strokes that left him unable to play the piano or write down his compositions, died in Virginia Beach of respiratory failure on November 5, 2011. Survivors include three daughters, Elizabeth S. Scholl, Ellen Sullivan, and Anna Moser ’92, wife of Christopher S. Moser ’92, as well as six grandchildren and a brother.
Return to Top