Clarence Ray Vosburgh '33, a retired educator and journalist long resident in Panama, was born on October 25, 1911, to Harry A., a stockroom clerk, and Nellie Bump Vosburgh, in Warsaw, NY. He grew up in nearby Attica, southwest of Rochester, and was graduated from Attica High School in 1929.That fall, he came to College Hill and joined Tau Kappa Epsilon.A member of Professor Fancher's Choir, he also served as head cheerleader for the Continentals at sports events.
After receiving his B.S. degree in 1933,Clarence Vosburgh began his teaching career at Pavilion High School, near Batavia, in western New York. In 1935, he joined the faculty of Kenmore Senior High School in suburban Buffalo to teach English and journalism.
While attending summer sessions at Columbia University's Teachers College in pursuit of an M.A.degree (which he would receive in 1940), he met a student from Panama, Ines Rodriguez.
They were married in Balboa, Canal Zone, on July 12, 1938.
Following a tropical honeymoon, Clarence Vosburgh returned with his bride to Kenmore, where they remained until he was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1943.He served as a sergeant in a postal unit in the European theater until his discharge in 1946, after World War II had ended.
Persuaded by his wife to join her in Panama, Clarence Vosburgh decided to look for employment opportunities there. His first job, of brief duration, was as a civilian employee at U.S. Army headquarters in the Canal Zone.
In 1947, he began his long tenure with the Zone's Schools Division, initially teaching English at Balboa High School. For many years thereafter, until his retirement in 1974, he was a member of the social science department of Canal Zone College, a two-year institution with an unusually cosmopolitan student body. In addition, he taught for a time a few extension courses at the University of Panama.
While in Panama, he and Ines also reared their three sons, James R., David A., and John D.Vosburgh. Early during his long stay in Panama, Clarence Vosburgh became a weekly columnist for the venerable Star & Herald, the leading English-language newspaper in the country and one of the oldest in Latin America.
Through troubled, even riotous, interludes in relations between the United States and Panama, he continued to write his column for more than 30 years. In the Canal Zone, he also served as an elected member of the Pacific Civic Council and represented it in discussions of community concerns with the Canal Zone's governor.
Clarence Vosburgh, a genial and engagingly enterprising gentleman, and a keen observer of the Panamanian scene, utilized his expertise to write and speak on the subject at every opportunity.
Following his retirement, he and Ines returned to New York and settled in Batavia, but they continued for several years to serve as "enrichment lecturers," speaking about Panama on Royal Viking Line cruise ships passing through the Canal.
Clarence R.Vosburgh, who later resided in Rochester, NY, was residing in West Melbourne, FL, when he died on July 17, 2006, at the age of 94, as verified by Social Security records.The College has no information on survivors.
Return to Top
Milton Kaplan, Valedictorian '37, an attorney who became a highly influential legal educator, was born on December 20, 1915, in Binghamton, NY. A son of Benjamin Kaplan, a wholesale meat dealer, and the former Mayme Lipman, "Milt" Kaplan grew up in Cortland, NY, where he was graduated in 1933 from Cortland High School as class salutatorian.
That year, he enrolled at Hamilton and began compiling an impressive academic record that culminated in his election to Phi Beta Kappa and graduation with honors in political science and as first in his class. Milt Kaplan went on to Harvard Law School, where he earned his LL.B.degree in 1940.
Briefly associated with the law firm of Mulligan & Hill in New York City, he soon became a state assistant attorney general in Albany. In 1943, he returned to private practice in Manhattan with the firm of Reed, Mulligan, et al.However, in 1947 he went back to his hometown of Cortland to become a partner in a newly formed law firm.Two years later, he assisted in the successful campaign for mayor of the city of Robert A. Kerr '31,who appointed him to the post of corporation counsel.
In 1954, Milt Kaplan left for Albany to serve as associate counsel for municipal affairs in the State Comptroller's Office. Named administrative assistant to Governor Averill Harriman's counsel in 1957, he thereafter served again, from 1959 to 1962, as an assistant attorney general. Milton Kaplan,who had become a specialist in land-use planning and local government law, also gained wide experience in comparative planning. From 1962 to 1965,he lived and worked in Calcutta, India, as a legal advisor to Ford Foundation consultants on metropolitan planning, and he later traveled extensively as a consultant for international organizations in numerous other developing countries.
In addition, he was a planning law consultant to state and federal agencies in the United States. In 1965,Milton Kaplan began his long association with the State University of New York at Buffalo's School of Law. Initially appointed as a visiting professor, he was soon given regular faculty status.During two decades on the law school's faculty, he not only shared his extensive expertise in courses on state and local government land-use planning and comparative environmental law,but was also primarily responsible for the formation and development of the School's state and local government law program.
Noted for his balanced judgment and careful legal analysis, Milton Kaplan left a profound impact on his students as well as his colleagues. Students who took his innovative courses, or participated in his research projects, gained great appreciation for his insight and personal guidance and encouragement.With his gentle, self-effacing manner, he also gave encouragement and support to younger colleagues who saw in him "a model of dedication to the lawyering craft."
Although he retired as professor emeritus from SUNY Buffalo in 1985,Milton Kaplan continued for many years to teach there part-time while also serving as of counsel to the firm of Magavern & Magavern in Buffalo.
He died on February 26, 2007, in the Buffalo suburb of Getzville following a lengthy illness, at the age of 91. He is survived by a daughter and son, Jo K.Nasoff-Finton and Michael R. Kaplan '75, born of his first marriage, to Toby Josowitz in 1941, which had ended in divorce.Also surviving are a brother and a sister.
Predeceasing him was his second wife, Linda S. Reynolds,whom he had wed in 1987.
Return to Top
Edward P. Jones, Jr. '37, who retired as executive vice president of operations after 38 years with the Graybar Electric Co.,was born on April 25, 1915, in Port Jervis, NY. The son of Edward P., one of the town's leading lawyers, and Mima Shimer Jones,"Brud" Jones (his lifelong nickname originated with his sister as her approximation of "brother"when they were children) was graduated from Port Jervis High School,where he captained the football team.
He entered Hamilton in 1932, joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, and became a guard on the varsity football team. Named its captain, he was sidelined in his senior year because of a torn cartilage resulting from pre-season play. Elected to DT and Pentagon, he left the Hill with his diploma in 1937.On February 5th of the following year,he and Evelyn Colegrove were married in Utica. By that time, having followed up on a suggestion from a fellow Deke, Lee E. Perry '39, that he see Perry's father about a job, Brud Jones had been hired as a trainee by Graybar. He began his long career with the electrical distribution company in Cleveland,OH, where he eventually became district manager.
He also worked out of such locations as Toledo and Akron, as well as Boston,MA, where he was district manager for New England operations. Transferred to Graybar's headquarters in New York City as vice president in 1965, he retired in 1975 as head of operations, the same job that Lee Perry's father had when he first interviewed Brud.
Brud Jones, who resided in Connecticut and engaged for a time in real estate after his retirement, was remarried in 1978 to Mary Lou Kindred in Greenwich. In 1982, the couple moved to the small town of Salem, OH, where Brud would be near his son and grandchildren. There he became affiliated with the First Presbyterian Church and served from 1983 to 1991 as its administrator. He also became active in the community as a hospital volunteer and driver for charitable organizations.
A passionate golfer, he continued to work on his game, "hoping they will invent new clubs that will help." Edward P. Jones, Jr., a dedicated alumnus who assisted the College with its fund-raising activities over many years, and "whose love of family was his greatest joy," died on April 5, 2007, at his home in Salem, in his 92nd year. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a daughter and son from his first marriage, Susan Kiedio and Edward P. Jones III, and three grandsons and 11 great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
Robert U. Hayes, Jr. '39, who retired after more than 40 years as a banker,was born on September 4, 1917, in Syracuse, NY. The elder son of Robert U., Class of 1905, president of the family founded Hayes National Bank in Clinton, and Elise Millard Hayes, he was a nephew of Earl W. Anibal '08.
He grew up in Clinton and came up the Hill in 1934 as a graduate of Clinton High School. He joined his father's fraternity, Delta Kappa Epsilon, and demonstrated his athletic prowess in the hockey rink and on the soccer field, lettering in both sports. A "demon on the ice" as a wingman, he captained Hamilton's hockey team in his senior year.
After receiving his B.S. degree in 1939, Bob Hayes began his long commercial banking career at the Oneida National Bank & Trust Co. in nearby Utica. He was with the bank when, on May 17, 1941, he and Virginia Y. Eckert were married in that city. By December, however, Bob Hayes was in uniform, having enlisted in the U.S. Army the month Pearl Harbor was attacked. Commissioned as an officer in the Quartermaster Corps, he was sent overseas to Northern Ireland and then England. Assigned to the Mediterranean theater in 1942 and promoted to first lieutenant, he served in North Africa, Corsica, and Italy, principally as a company commander in an air service group.
Bob Hayes left the Army Air Forces as a major in late 1945, after World War II's end, and returned to the Oneida Bank, where he became assistant vice president. In 1957, he accepted an assistant vice presidency at the Hanover Bank (later Manufacturers Hanover Trust Co.) in New York City and relocated to Darien, CT. Six years later, he joined the Berkshire Bank & Trust Co. in Pittsfield, MA, as executive vice president.
His final career move, in 1965, was to the Albany, NY, area, where he became administrative vice president in charge of the trust division of the National Commercial Bank and Trust Co. He was promoted to executive vice president in charge of the bank's marketing division in 1972.
For the last eight years until his retirement as senior vice president in 1982, he was with the bank's parent company, Key Corp., as an advance man engaged in solicitations and negotiations in connection with bank acquisitions as part of Key Corp.'s tremendous expansion at that time.During his career, he also completed graduate programs in banking and management at Rutgers and Northwestern universities.
Bob Hayes was active over the years in numerous community endeavors on behalf of charitable organizations in the Albany area, and, as an avid golfer, was a member of local country clubs. He also served on several boards, including the Oystermen's Bank on Long Island and his family's Hayes Bank (now NBT Bank) in Clinton, as well as Five Rivers Limited, a citizens' environmental support group.
A devoted Hamilton alumnus and great admirer of his old hockey coach, Albert I. Prettyman, he took a particular interest in the Continentals' athletic fortunes and chaired the athletic committee while a member of the Alumni Council. During the 1950s he also served as the Council's athletic advisor.
Besides golf, Bob Hayes' enjoyed downhill and crosscountry skiing, and continued even in his later years to put on his ice skates occasionally. The official "yard man" around the suburban Albany homes where he lived at various times, he also enjoyed getting away to Florida. Wherever he happened to be, however, he maintained his posture of "being too light for heavy work and too heavy for lightwork."
Robert U. Hayes, Jr., who last resided in Slingerlands, died on April 2, 2007, while hospitalized in Albany, in his 90th year. Predeceased by his wife in 1999, he is survived by a son. Peter E. Hayes; two daughters, Barbara Muhlfelder and Nancy (Nikki) Vierne; three grandchildren and two greatgrandchildren; and his brother, Gordon M.Hayes '41.
Return to Top
Joseph Alleyne Kelly '38, a former journalist who specialized in sports writing, was born on November 19, 1914, in Plattsburg, NY. His parents were the Rev. John B. Kelly, a Presbyterian minister, and the former Mary G. Smith. Joe Kelly, having been graduated from Pembroke Preparatory School in Kansas City,MO, came to Hamilton in 1933 from Emporia, KS, where his father was then president of the College of Emporia. However, after a brief time on the Hill, he returned to Emporia and took courses for two years at his father's college. In 1936, he came back to Hamilton and resumed his studies.
A member of Psi Upsilon, he also played varsity baseball and intramural sports, and received his initial introduction to journalism by contributing items to the College's news bureau. By the time he received his B.S. degree in 1939, he had already embarked upon his journalistic career back in Kansas as a reporter for William Allen
White's famed Emporia Gazette. In 1939, Joe Kelly moved on to Washington, DC, where he became a copy boy and cub reporter for the Evening Star.
In 1941, after a year as a reporter for the Watertown, NY, Daily Times, he enlisted in the U.S.Army. On March 11, 1942, in Washington, DC, he was wed to Mary R.Williams. Assigned to intelligence"as a result of my Hamilton training," he was commissioned as an officer and sent to New Guinea in 1943. He served with Army Air Corps units in the Pacific theater for two years, participating in the invasion of the Philippines and the occupation of Japan following World War II.
Discharged from the Army Air Forces in early 1946 as a first lieutenant, Joe Kelly briefly returned to New York's North Country and his job at the Watertown Times. In 1947, however, he settled permanently in Texas, after a childhood and early adulthood of constant moving as a result of his father's various church postings followed by his own military assignments. In Texas, he became sports writer and editor for the Avalanche-Journal in Lubbock, a position he retained for 16 years until 1963. Best known for his sports column "Between the Lines," he laterre called those years as "the most satisfactory period of my life."
In 1965, after a series of posts including correspondent for the Dallas Times-Herald, reporter on Texas basketball for United Press International, and radio news director, Joe Kelly was appointed executive director of the Lubbock Community Action Board. In 1973, he became district sales manager for the National Federation of Independent Business, a position he held until his retirement in 1982.
Through the years, he was highly active in sports organizations, particularly the Cotton Bowl Athletic Association. In addition, he was a former director of the Lubbock Amateur Athletic Association and the Texas Sports Writers Association. Within the community, Joe Kelly was highly active as well, serving as "tail twister"and newsletter publisher for the Lubbock Lions Club, auxiliary board member of the Methodist Hospital, and chairman of the local chapter of SCORE.
He was also a deacon and elder of the Westminster Presbyterian Church. On vacation, he often transported his boat 2,000 miles to deep in the woods near Saranac Lake, NY, where he delighted in fishing for bass and trout.An ever faithful alumnus and reunion attendee (his 60th was made notable by a hip fracture he sustained while on the Hill), he also assisted the College with its fund-raising efforts.
Joseph A. Kelly was still residing in Lubbock when he died on March 31, 2007, at the age of 92. Predeceased by his wife of 64 years in 2006, he is survived by a daughter, Frances Baker; two sons, Joseph A., Jr., and John B. Kelly III; and six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
Frank Martin Hoppe '39, a retired district sales manager,was born on November 11, 1916, to Otto W., also a business manager, and Anna Kosbab Hoppe, in Syracuse, NY. Frank Hoppe grew up in Syracuse,where he was graduated from North High School. He came to the College in 1936, joined the Squires Club, and participated in a variety of sports. He also played trumpet in the College Band and helped create a different kind of music as a Chapel bell ringer.
Awarded his B.S. degree in 1939, Frank Hoppe worked for a time in a chemical laboratory. However, in January 1942, shortly after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, he signed up for military service with the U.S.Army. Assigned to an armored division and later the Army Air Corps, he completed both Officer Candidate School and Intelligence School before being posted overseas. Released at the end of 1945, after World War II's end, as an Air Force captain, he had concluded his active service as a public relations officer for a medium bomber group in the European theater.
In 1947, Frank Hoppe went to work as a sales representative for J.I.Case Co., manufacturers of farm equipment. Transferred to its western New York territory, he, with his wife, the former Florence E. Derby, whom he had wed on May 3,1947, in Greensburg, PA, established their home in East Aurora. In 1953, he joined the sales division of Wagner Electric Corp., a leading manufacturer of automotive parts, with headquarters in Buffalo. His work required extensive travel throughout upstate New York and northern Pennsylvania.
Frank Hoppe was a district sales manager for Wagner when, in 1967, he and his family relocated to Cherry Hill, NJ, where the Hoppes built their second home in what was then a farming area just outside of town. There, Frank enjoyed gardening and was especially proud of his orchard. With Philadelphia just across the Delaware River from Cherry Hill, he and Florence also had the opportunity to enjoy the music and theater offerings of that city.
Frank Hoppe retired from Wagner in 1982, giving Florence and him increased occasion to indulge their love of travel.Their trips took them through much of the world, from Europe and the Soviet Union to North Africa and South America, and across the Pacific to China.
Frank M.Hoppe, a devoted alumnus who once credited Hamilton Professor Willard B. Marsh with shaping "much of my success in the business world," died on December 16, 2006, at the age of 90. In addition to his wife of 59 years, he is survived by a son, David D. Hoppe; a daughter, Lynn Kaminski; and two grandchildren and a great-granddaughter.
Return to Top
Douglas Barton Stevens '39, who for 40 years practiced surgery at the University Medical Center in Princeton, NJ, was born on November 24, 1916, in Cortland, NY. His parents were Edmund H. Stevens, an insurance agent, and the former Norma V. LaBarre. Barton Stevens, also known as "Bart," grew up in Syracuse, NY, where he was graduated from Nottingham High School.
He entered Hamilton in 1935, joined Psi Upsilon, and tried his hand at fencing. Active in the German Club, he also sang for four years in Professor Paul Fancher's Choir, taking trips by train to New York City to be heard on Alexander Woollcott's and Rudy Vallee's radio shows. Inspired on the Hill by Professor of Biology Earl Butcher to contemplate a career inmedicine, he entered Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons following his graduation in 1939.
After receiving his M.D. degree in 1943 and a brief internship at Presbyterian Hospital in New York City, Bart Stevens went off to war in early 1944 as an ensign with the U.S.Navy Medical Corps. Promoted to lieutenant, he was assigned to oversees duty as a surgeon aboard naval vessels, including the light cruiser Providence.
While on an LST delivering troops and materiel to the shore, he participated in the Normandy invasion and medically treated the wounded as they were evacuated from the beaches. In 1946, after World War II's end, Dr. Stevens returned to Presbyterian Hospital and completed his surgical training.
Appointed as an associate attending surgeon at Princeton's Medical Center in 1951, he remained on its staff until his retirement decades later.Chief of general surgery at the Center from 1972 to 1981, he also held academic appointments, including instructor in surgery at Columbia University (1951-65) and later for many years clinical assistant and associate professor of surgery at the College of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. After he retired from the operating room, he continued to be professionally active, attending clinics,doing medical-legal consulting, and giving occasional lectures to medical students,until the age of 82.
In his younger years Barton Stevens enjoyed flying light airplanes as an instrument-rated pilot.Other interests encompassed sports cars,motorcycles, scuba diving, and even dog training. His favorite pastimes in retirement were fly-fishing for trout (he tied his own flies) and gardening, as well as "general puttering around plus a little travel."
With his wife, the former Joan Pettitt Fortune, whom he had married in 1972, he often vacationed in the Southwest, where they acquired a modest collection of Indian art, such as Navajo rugs and Pueblo pottery.While there,Dr.Stevens also worked for the Indian Health Service. Ever intellectually curious, inventive of mind (he devised the Stevens pediatric retractor), and with an almost poetic way with words,he continued to reside in Princeton until the end of his life at age 90.
D. Barton Stevens, a faithful alumnus, died in Princeton on April 24, 2007. In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons and a daughter,Douglas B., Jr., Peter G., and Meredith C. Stevens, born of his first marriage, in 1943, to Mary-Louise Crowell, which ended in divorce in 1969. Also surviving are three stepchildren and eight grandchildren.
Return to Top