Edward Wise Horne '41 Lawyer and former East Hampton, NY, town justice,was born on July 25,1919, in Bronxville, NY. A son of Edward,Jr., a sales manager, and Bertha Wise Horne, he came to Hamilton in 1937 from Huntington on Long Island as a graduate of Huntington High School. Ed Horne joined Theta Delta Chi and played hockey for four years, lettering in the sport. He was elected to Quadrangle and DT,and served on the Intramural Council in his senior year. Described in The Hamiltonian as "raconteur extraordinary" and in"perpetual good humor," he was awarded his B.S. degree in 1941.
Drafted into the U.S.Army immediately after graduation,Ed Horne was sent to Officer Candidate School. After receiving his commission, he served as a medical administrative officer in the West Indies. Discharged as a captain in late 1945,after World War II had ended, he enrolled in law school at New York University and earned his LL.B.degree in 1948.
In 1952, following employment in law offices in New York City and on Long Island, Ed Horne became a trial attorney on the legal staff of General Motors Corp. In addition to negotiating collective bargaining agreements, he handled cases involving insurance and real estate. By 1958,when it became evident that his reluctance to relocate to Detroit cut down on his chances for advancement, he left General Motors to become vice president and general counsel of Afco Credit Corp., a new enterprise in New York City engaged in insurance premium financing. Operating nationally, Afco gave him the opportunity to carve out new law because state statutes governing the business were then lacking. In 1968, when the president of Afco was named president of Diners Club,he asked Ed Horne to join him there as vice president of corporate finance.
In 1973,having found the law work at Diners Club rather boring, Ed Horne left the company and moved with his family from Huntington to East Hampton, where he went into the private practice of law.He soon found it "much more satisfying and rewarding than I had imagined."Besides serving for a time as law secretary to a justice of the State Supreme Court, he became counsel to the Zoning Board of Appeals as well as town attorney. In 1983, he was elected town justice as a Republican and retained that post for many years. In 1989, he was chosen by his peers as president of the Suffolk County Magistrates Association.
Ed Horne very much enjoyed life in East Hampton,where the fishing was"great." He also enjoyed being out on the water with his wife, who was"a great boat handler." When not on Long Island, they were likely to be at their winter home in Sebastian, FL.
Edward W. Horne was in Florida when he died on January 1, 2007, in Vero Beach. He is survived by his wife,the former Adelayde Humm Osborne, whom he had wed on October 3,1964, in East Hampton. Also surviving is their daughter, Pamela W. Horne, as well as a son, Edward T. Horne, born of Ed Horne's first marriage,to Arline Andersen, in 1947. Ed Horne's brother, Kenneth W. Horne '43, predeceased him in 1989.
Return to Top
Howard Franklin Todman '41
Howard Franklin Todman '41, longtime director of business affairs for Goodson-Todman Productions,famed producers of television game shows,was born on November 24,1920,in New York City.A son of Frederick S., a certified public accountant, and Helena Orlowitz Todman, he grew up in New York City, where he was graduated from Horace Mann High School.He came to the Hill in 1937, joined the Squires Club, and, while pursuing pre-medical studies, played soccer for three years, lettering in the sport.
Howard Todman left the Hill with his B.S degree in 1941 and was in the U.S.Army before the end of the year.He served in uniform throughout World War II and was with the Army Air Forces when,on July 15,1945,he and Constance S. White were married in New York City. While in military service,he took courses at Tulane Medical School, hoping to achieve his goal, never to be realized, of becoming a physician.
Instead,after his release from military service at the end of 1945,Howard Todman joined his brother,William S.Todman,in venturing into radio and later into the new field of TV production. The company Bill Todman co-founded, Goodson-Todman Productions, would become renowned for its long-running game and quiz shows,such as Beat the Clock, To Tell the Truth, The Price is Right, and What's my Line?, which it produced and packaged for TV networks.
Howard Todman,employed in effect by his brother,took care of the business end of the operations out of New York City.After Bill Todman's death in 1979, the company was renamed Mark Goodson Productions.Howard Todman stayed on for a time as its treasurer.
Howard F.Todman,who had continued to reside in Manhattan, died on May 2,2007.He is survived by two daughters, Katharine Poses and Leslee W. Todman,from his first marriage; two daughters, Myka W. and Raleigh W. Todman, from his second marriage, to Fern Weiss, following the death of his first wife; and grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
Robert Marshall '42
Robert Marshall '42, engaged in his family's retail clothing business for more than 50 years, was born on June 1, 1919, in Auburn, NY. A son of Milton L. and Mabel Vorreuter Marshall, he attended Auburn Senior High School and prepared for college at Phillips Exeter Academy. He enrolled at Hamilton in 1938,joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, and went out for hockey, soccer, and tennis. A member of the Intramural Council in his senior year, he was awarded his B.S. degree in 1942.
Robert Marshall entered the U.S.Navy shortly thereafter and served for five years through the end of World War II.He was a communications officer with the rank of lieutenant (j.g.) aboard a Naval landing ship that participated in no fewer than four Allied invasions, those of North Africa, Sicily,Italy,and Normandy.
After his release from military service,Robert Marshall returned to Auburn and entered the family business, a men's clothing store established by his grandfather in 1871. Succeeding their father, he and his older brother Richard, in partnership, would operate the Marshall store in Auburn until it was heavily damaged by fire in 1994. The business was thereafter relocated to Skaneateles, and another Marshall clothing store was opened in Syracuse in 1997. By that time another generation of Marshalls, Robert's sons,had taken over ownership and business operations.
Robert Marshall, a former member of the board of Auburn Memorial Hospital as well as the town's zoning board, died at his home in Auburn on April 17, 2007. A faithful and supportive alumnus, he is survived by his wife, the former Mary H. Carew, whom he had wed in Auburn in 1952. Also surviving are his mother; two sons, Robert and James Marshall; a daughter, Sally Kleinschmidt; and six grandchildren and his brother, Richard.
Return to Top
Kenneth Greenfield Snyder '42
Kenneth Greenfield Snyder '42, a 31-year employee of the U.S.Postal Service, was born on September 13,1920,in Auburn, NY. Ken Snyder grew up in Auburn and was graduated in 1938 from Auburn Senior High School.He enrolled at Hamilton that fall and joined the Emerson Literary Society. However,after three semesters, he was compelled to withdraw from the College when his father, George E. Snyder, a banker, became seriously ill.
In the summer of 1942, Ken Snyder entered the U.S. Army. He served for 3½ years through the end of World War II, and, with a coastal artillery unit, did his part to defend Long Island Sound.
Discharged from the Army in early 1946, he later went to work for the Postal Service in his hometown of Auburn.In 1960, he obtained a transfer to the post office in Port Charlotte in southwest Florida, where he continued to reside for the rest of his life. He retired from the Postal Service at the end of 1979.
In Florida, Ken Snyder was able to pursue wholeheartedly his lifelong favorite hobby, golfing, as well as canoeing. Playing on local golf courses,he proudly achieved a hole-in-one not once but twice. With his wife, the former Dorothy M.Spencer, whom he had wed on September 4, 1943, in Auburn, he also traveled frequently to the West Coast to visit their daughters. A charter member and deacon, elder, and trustee of the First Presbyterian Church in Port Charlotte, he occasionally traveled abroad with a church group, including a trip to the famed passion play at Oberammergau in 1990.
Kenneth G. Snyder, known as a genial, kind-hearted, and caring man, died in Florida on March 26, 2007. In addition to his wife of 63 years, he is survived by two daughters, Carolyn and Nancy; a son, David K. Snyder; and two grandchildren.
Return to Top
John Henry Stoddart '42
John Henry Stoddart '42, retired insurance agency owner, was born on March 3, 1920, in Yonkers, NY. A son of Robert S., also an insurance agent, and Julia Ten Eyck Stoddart, he grew up in New York City and prepared for college at Hoosac School in Hoosick, NY. He came to Hamilton in 1938 and joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, but left the Hill after three semesters.
John Stoddart subsequently entered the insurance field,serving as an underwriter for Chubb & Son in New York City and as a special agent for the Aetna Insurance Co. in Boston, MA. In the late 1950s he became a partner in William Wallace & Co., an insurance agency also located in Boston. He later became its president as well as its owner.
In 1989, John H.Stoddart moved from the Boston area to Fernandina Beach, FL,where he established his retirement home. He died there on February 28, 2007, leaving his wife of 28 years, the former Marjorie Leonard. Also surviving are a daughter, Julia Strimenos, born of his first marriage, in 1947, to Mary Ellen Fowler; two daughters and a son, Sylvia, Helen, and John H. Stoddart, Jr., born of his second marriage,in 1955, to Helen Spring; and three stepchildren, 15 grandchildren, one great-grand-child, and a brother.
Return to Top
Charles Hanson Hammond '43
Charles Hanson Hammond '43, who long practiced law in his native Huntington,NY, was born on June 10,1921, the only son of Frank M., a sales representative and bank officer, and Blanche Hanson Hammond. He grew up in Huntington on Long Island and was graduated in 1939 from Huntington High School. That fall, Charlie Hammond came to Hamilton,having already decided to make the law his future profession. He joined Theta Delta Chi and went out for football, fencing, and varsity baseball. He also contributed his time to campus publications and the nascent radio station WHC.
However, theater was chief among his many extracurricular interests, and he enthusiastically trouped with the Charlatans in their heyday in such plays as Maxwell Anderson's The Eve of St. Mark, the rights for which were exceptionally granted, thanks to the intercession of Alexander Woollcott '09,when the play was still running on Broadway in the fall of 1942.
After obtaining his B.S. degree in 1943, Charlie Hammond entered the U.S.Army. Assigned as an aviation cadet to an Army Air Corps flight school, he was trained as a fighter pilot and commissioned as a second lieutenant. Having recovered from injuries sustained in a P-40 crash, he remained on active duty through the end of World War II until 1946.
However,he continued to participate actively in the Air Force Reserve, retiring in 1972 as a lieutenant colonel. Following the war, Charlie Hammond enrolled at Albany Law School, where he acquired his J.D. degree in 1949. Further legal studies at New York University resulted in an LL.M. in 1953. He established his practice in his hometown, where he became highly active in the community and did more than his fair share of fund-raising for good causes. He chaired the local American Cancer Society chapter as well as fund drives for the Boy Scouts of America and the YMCA.
A member of the executive committee of the Suffolk County Bar Association and a police court justice for the village of Huntington Bay, he was also a former president of the Greenlawn Republican Club. But again as in college, dramatics captured his abiding interest.For more than 35 years, he not only acted with and wrote plays and directed for the Township Theatre Group, but also served as its president.
Charlie Hammond retired in 1990 and moved to Indiatlantic, on Florida's east coast,with his wife,the former Peitress B. Byington, whom he had married in 1981. There he continued his habit of energetic involvement in myriad activities, from gardening, golfing, and bridge, to painting and beachcombing. He also served as commander of the Disabled American Veterans chapter in Satellite Beach and was no stranger to the Phoenix Reparatory Theater or the Brevard Art Center and Museum. He also found time to write, including Forward in Faith, a history of Eastminster Presbyterian Church in Indiatlantic, and to help Hamilton with its fund-raising activities.
An exceedingly devotedalumnus who remained forever grateful for the education and lifelong friendships he acquired at Hamilton, Charles H. Hammond died on March 10,2007. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a daughter from a previous marriage, Harriet H.Hammond,as well as stepchildren and stepgrandchildren. The family requested that any contributions in Charlie Hammond's memory be made to the College.
Return to Top
George Coffin Towe '43
George Coffin Towe '43, professor of physics emeritus at Alfred University and former head of its physics department,was born on November 28, 1921, in Passaic, NJ. The son of Walter A., a marine surveyor, and Frances Coffin Towe, he moved with his family at the age of 6 to the Buffalo, NY, area and grew up in suburban Kenmore. George Towe came to College Hill in 1939 as a graduate of Kenmore High School and joined the Emerson Literary Society.He fenced and played soccer, in which he lettered, for most of his years on the Hill, and was also a member of the College Band. Seldom very talkative, he reputedly "never said anything unless he was sure he was right." With thoughts of a future career as a chemical engineer, he majored in chemistry and earned his B.S.degree in 1943.
Following his graduation, George Towe spent the last two years of the Second World War as a physicist at the U.S.Naval Ordnance Laboratory in Washington, DC, initially as a civilian and during the second year as an officer on active duty with the Naval Reserve. After the war he embarked on graduate study at the University of Michigan, where he acquired his M.S.degree in chemistry in 1947 and his Ph.D. in 1954. During those years he also worked as a research engineer for the Ford Motor Co.'s scientific laboratory in
Dearborn and did research for the University of Michigan's Engineering Research Institute.
In 1955, with his Ph.D. in hand, George Towe began his long academic career as an assistant professor of physics at Montana State College in Bozeman. Promoted to associate professor, he returned east to Ohio in 1961 to become a professor of physics and chairman of the natural sciences division at Findlay College. A year later, he came back to New York State to join the faculty of Alfred University as an associate professor of physics. Named a full professor and department chairman in 1965, he continued in that post until 1972 and subsequently chaired the university's division of special programs from 1974 to 1977.
Dr. Towe, whose research focused on radioactivity and radiation, as well as solid-state diffusion and nuclear activation analysis,was for several years a consultant to the Oak Ridge Institute for Nuclear Studies. During sabbaticals he was a visiting scientist at the Atomic Energy Research Establishment in England (1967-68) and an educational consultant to Australian universities (1977-78). At Alfred, until his retirement after 22 years as a member of its faculty in 1984, he was actively involved in programs designed to improve classroom teaching effectiveness.
George Towe, who moved to Eugene,OR, after his retirement, enjoyed fishing and gardening, and had considerable interest in astronomy and photography. A private pilot who flew a small airplane in his younger days, he also had an amateur radio license and once operated his own ham radio station. In retirement, he became a docent at the University of Oregon Museum of Art and also served as a volunteer tutor in English, primarily for Asian students.
George C. Towe, a loyal and supportive alumnus much interested in the College, and especially in its science curriculum, was still residing in Eugene when he died on May 17, 2007. Predeceased in 2001 by his wife, the former Dorothy May Etris, whom he had married on April 5, 1947, in Ridgewood, NJ, he is survived by a son. Robert D.Towe, and four grandchildren and six greatgrandchildren.
Return to Top
Richard Engel Petersen '43
Richard Engel Petersen '43, a retired management consultant, was born on July 21, 1921, in Chicago, IL.The elder son of Reno H. Petersen '17, an investment company executive, and the former Minnie M. Engel, Richard Petersen grew up in Chicago, where he prepared for college at the Harvard School for Boys. He entered Hamilton in 1939 and, interested in flying, took the Civil Aeronautics Authority's pilot training course while on the Hill.
After two years,he left the College and later joined the U.S.Army Air Corps. Commissioned as an officer after flight training, he became a fighter pilot and served in the European theater during World War II. He attained the rank of captain and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. After the war, Richard Petersen returned to his hometown and pursued studies at the University of Chicago, where he obtained his B.A. in 1947 and M.B.A. in finance in 1948. Following several positions in business and finance, including product planning manager and accounts payable supervisor, he joined A.T. Kearney & Co. in Chicago as a staff management consultant. Ultimately named a principal of the management consulting firm, he subsequently became a partner in SAM Associates, also in Chicago.
Richard E. Petersen, a resident of suburban La Grange Park, died on January 12, 2007. Predeceased by his wife, the former Dorothy J. Granquist,whom he had married in 1947, he is survived by four daughters, Priscilla, Janet, Erica, and Rebecca, as well as seven grandchildren and six greatgrandchildren.
Return to Top
Earl Eugene Huyck '4
Earl Eugene Huyck '44, a sociologist and former federal government demographer who became an art gallery proprietor, was born on October 30, 1922, in Ilion, NY. His parents were Oscar H., a truck owner and operator, and Esther Shorey Huyck. He grew up in Ilion, was graduated from Ilion High School, and came to College Hill in 1940.With the help of a small scholarship and earnings derived from waiting tables and working in the library, he paid his own way on the Hill. A member of Psi Upsilon, he also went out for football and served on the staff of Hamiltonews as well as the campus radio station, WHC.
In early 1943, however, he withdrew from the College to enlist in the U.S. Army. Assigned to a premeteorology program at Brown University, Earl Huyck was subsequently trained as a cryptographer and served with the Signal Corps attached to the Army Air Forces in the South Pacific. In early 1946, after service in the Philippines and occupied Japan following World War II, he returned to civilian life and his studies on the Hill.
Awarded his diploma in 1947, he embarked on a graduate program at the School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, DC. There on September 13, 1947, the year before he received his M.A. degree, he and Dorothy J. Boyle, a fellow student at the School,were married. While pursuing doctoral studies at the American University, Earl Huyck also did work on population dynamics for the Office on Intelligence Research in the Department of State (1949-54) and served as an analyst for the Central Intelligence Agency (1955-58). He acquired his Ph.D. in international relations in 1956 with a dissertation on "Population Growth in Ceylon." In 1959, after a year on leave from the CIA to teach sociology and population courses at the University of Colorado, he returned to Washington to become a program analysis officer and publications editor in the Office of the Secretary, Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.
In 1970, after two years with the Agency for International Development in Costa Rica,working to provide better family planning, Dr.Huyck returned to the Washington area to become a social demographer with the Center for Population Research at the National Institutes of Health. A fellow of the American Sociological Association and a widely recognized authority on population and demographics, he retired in 1985, after 36 years of federal government service.
Long a resident of Bethesda, MD, and a past president of the Maplewood Civic Association and vestryman of St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Earl Huyck traveled extensively, often with his wife, a freelance journalist whose travel articles he edited and accompanied with his own photographs. In 1990, a decade after his wife's death, he was married to Dorothy Zagaris, an interior decorator and widow, from Redding, CA. The couple later settled in Redding, where, drawing upon his expertise derived from many years of art collecting worldwide, he established the Earl Huyck Gallery. His second wife died in 1999, and five years later he was married for the third time, to Evelyn Weeks Chambers, a sculptor.
Earl E.Huyck, a gregarious man whose interests were many and activities multifold, was also a devoted alumnus and former president of the Washington and Vicinity Alumni Association. He was still residing in Redding when he died on March 4, 2007. In addition to his wife, he is survived by two daughters from his first marriage, Heather A. and Holly O. Huyck, and a grandson.
Return to Top