Frank Herbert Mackay '50, a retired chemical company executive, was born on July 8, 1925, in Hartford, CT. The middle son of Kenneth T. '15, a florist, and Marion Whipple Mackay, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces as a B-24 navigator during World War II.He entered Hamilton from West Hartford in the spring of 1946, after preparation at Munson Academy in Massachusetts, and remained at the College through the fall semester of that year.
"Herb" Mackay then returned to Connecticut, where he found employment in Hartford. On September 9, 1950, in West Hartford, he was married to Caryl Jane Schnurman. He was later employed by Old Fox Chemical Co. in Providence, RI, and was its executive vice president when he retired. Thereafter, he moved from West Hartford to Hilton Head, SC, where he became commodore of the Moss Creek Yacht Club. In 2000,he relocated to Leesburg, FL.
F. Herbert Mackay, a onetime president of the Connecticut Valley Alumni Association, died in Leesburg on March 1, 2007. In addition to his wife of 56 years, he is survived by two sons, Frank Herbert, Jr., and Stuart J. Mackay; a daughter, Susan Bock; eight grandchildren; and a sister, Jane Howe, and a brother, Robertson Mackay '50. He was predeceased by his elder brother, Kenneth S. Mackay '43, in 2005.
Return to Top
Lawrence Herrell Wilson '50
Lawrence Herrell Wilson '50, a retired industrial chemist, was born on December 15, 1928, in Johnstown, PA. The son of Pliny J., president of Wilson Carbon Co., and Katherine Herrell Wilson, he grew up in Greenwich, CT, and was graduated in 1946 from Greenwich High School. That year, Larry Wilson entered Hamilton, intent upon majoring in chemistry. He joined Theta Delta Chi, where he would be remembered for his "extremely theological piano playing" and as a "proponent of the Scientific Method of houseparty bartending." He also displayed talent as director of TDX's in-house choir and glee club, a talent that would be further evidenced in his later years. A member of the College Choir as well, he played varsity tennis for four years and lettered in the sport.
Following his graduation in 1950, Larry Wilson worked for three years in the central research lab of American Cyanamid Co. He subsequently entered the graduate program in organic chemistry at New York University, where he earned his M.S. degree in 1956 and Ph.D. in 1961. While studying at NYU, he was a member of the Collegiate Chorus of New York City. Beginning in 1959, he was employed by various chemical companies in the Midwest, including S.C. Johnson & Son in Racine, WI, and Ott Chemical Co. in Muskegon, MI, where he became a research department manager. Later employers included Ferro Chemical Co. in Bedford, OH, and Muskegon Chemical Co. in Whitehall, MI, where he was technical director. He retired from Hexcel-Zeeland Chemical Co., Zeeland, MI, in 1993.
Larry Wilson, a member of the science honorary Sigma Xi who taught courses in chemistry at Whitehall High School and Nazareth College in Kalamazoo, forayed into entrepreneurship as founder in the late 1970s of the InterCounty Bus Co. in Holland, MI. He also served as chancel choir director of his church, First United Methodist of Holland, as well as of other churches where he resided earlier. In addition, he served on the board of the Great Lakes Chapter of the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation, dedicated to combating a disease that afflicted his wife for many years.
Laurence H. Wilson, a loyal alumnus, was residing in Holland, MI, when he died on March 28, 2007, following a battle with lung cancer. He is survived by his wife, the former Patricia Ellsworth, whom he had married in 1980. Also surviving is a sister, Sylvia J. Wilson.
Return to Top
John Frederick Rex Barton '51
John Frederick Rex Barton '51, a former agent for the Equitable Life Assurance Society, was born on February 23, 1927, in Birmingham, England. He was the son of Herbert J.O. Barton, who became a patent attorney with the Radio Corporation of America, and the former Elsie J. Gegg, a fashion photographer. John Barton, who came to the United States with his family at the age of 13, grew up in White Plains, NY, and was graduated from White Plains High School in 1945. Recruited into the U.S. Army during that last year of World War II, he served for two years and was with a military police unit in occupied Germany when discharged in 1947.
That fall, John Barton enrolled at Hamilton. He joined Sigma Phi and went out for soccer. He became a defensive star on the team and, as its captain in his senior year, piloted it through a winning season (4-2). Elected to DT and Was Los, he left the Hill with his diploma in 1951. Accompanying him was his wife, the former Gloria M. Holmes, whom he had married in Lake Mahopac, NY, on September 10, 1950.
John Barton, having entered the insurance field, moved with his family in 1957 to Burlingame, CA, where he was employed as an agent for Equitable Life in San Mateo. There, he and Gloria reared their three sons, and John became involved with their baseball careers as coach and umpire from Little League through A ball. Gloria became active in city politics, and John played an important role in her campaign for the City Council in 1978. She not only served as a councilwoman until 1991 but also as Burlingame's mayor for three terms.
After his long employment with Equitable Life, John Barton worked for a time for Hertz, the automobile rental company. In retirement, he became a crossing guard at a local elementary school, and in 2004-05 he was chosen Crossing Guard of the Year in recognition of his outstanding service. He also volunteered for Habitat for Humanity and was a frequent blood donor, for which he garnered an award from the American Association of Blood Banks.
John F. Barton, a resident of Burlingame for 48 years, had moved to Los Angeles to be near his sons, following the death of his wife in 2004. They were with him in a West Hills, CA, hospital on March 3, 2007, when he died of complications from pneumonia. In addition to his sons, Derek D., John F., Jr., and Gregory S. Barton, he is survived by four grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
Lee Charles Voyce, Jr. '52
Whose Miami, Fl, company specialized in vibration and noise control, was born on July 4, 1930, in Chicago, IL. The son of Lee C., a business manager, and Catherine Meeker Voyce, he grew up in New Jersey, where he was graduated in 1948 from Teaneck High School. That year, he arrived on College Hill from West Englewood and soon settled in academically after an early unpleasant encounter with Latin. Energetic and enterprising, he became involved with numerous campus organizations, including the Outing Club and the Camera Club, which he served as president, as well as the Choir and the Student Christian Association. His spare time was also devoted to his favorite among the arts, dramatics, through participation in productions of the Charlatans. President of the Squires Club in his senior year, he received his diploma in 1952.
After employment as an assistant sales representative for the National Broadcasting Co., Lee Voyce obtained an M.B.A. degree in 1956 from the Harvard Business School. The following year, he settled permanently in the Miami area and there went into business serving as sales representative and consultant on vibration and noise control for his firm, Voyce-Legier, Inc. He served in addition as the company's secretary-treasurer and eventually became its owner and operator. Widely traveled and known as a gourmet, he also enjoyed music as well as good joke. He was held in fondness by all who knew him, and his July 4th birthday was an annual occasion for a double celebration.
Lee C. Voyce, Jr., a resident of North Miami, died on April 12, 2007.He is survived by his wife, Rose Marie Voyce, whom he had married in 1970, and two sons, Glenn and Scott.
Return to Top
Edward Thomas Greck, Jr. '53
Edward Thomas Greck, Jr. '53, a retired insurance agency executive, was born on September 23, 1928, in Binghamton, NY. The younger son of Edward T., a sales manager, and Elizabeth Lynn Greck, he attended Binghamton Central High School before serving from 1946 to 1948 as a U.S. Army infantryman in Korea. Released from military service as a staff sergeant, Ed Greck made preparation for college at Blair Academy in New Jersey and followed his brother, Clifford P. Greck '49, to Hamilton from Binghamton in 1949. He joined ELS and went out for swimming and track as well as intramural sports. Known for his industriousness and as "a guiding light...for the major parties of Emerson Hall, "he left the Hill with his diploma in 1953.
After two years as a store manager in Utica, Ed Greck became a field representative in western New York for the Aetna Casualty & Surety Co. In 1960, he began his long career in the independent insurance field as an agent for Brewer & Brumley in Lockport, NY. An insurance broker for the Eggleston Agency (1963-67) and the Cryor Agency (1967-69), both in Buffalo, he subsequently established the Greck Agency in suburban Amherst. As its owner and principal, he operated the agency until 1985, when he sold it and joined Roth Services, Inc., an agency in Williamsville, as executive vice president. Although he retired in 1990, he kept busy as a part-time account executive broker with Benz-Sardinia, Inc., another local agency.
Also much involved in the Buffalo area community, Ed Greck was a onetime Republican committeeman, a past president of the Kiwanis, and a member of the executive board of the Lewiston Trail Council of the Boy Scouts of America. He also served on the Cleveland High School Board and on the board of the Arthritic Foundation of Western New York. A vestryman and Sunday school superintendent at Grace Episcopal Church in Lockport, he was also a 32nd-degree Mason and engaged in many of Free Masonry's local activities. Early in his career he taught courses at Bryant & Stratton Business Institute and Niagara County Community College. As a sideline he enjoyed inventing kitchen devices and cooking aids, which he patented and distributed through Neat Producers, Inc.
Edward T. Greck, who had divided the year between the Buffalo area and Jupiter, FL, since his retirement, died in Buffalo on February 25, 2007. He is survived by his wife, the former Ellen Hagen Schreiber, whom he had married in 1970. Also surviving are a son and daughter, Leon E. and Beth C. Greck, born of his first marriage, in 1950, to Janet C. Simmons, and two stepsons, Frank F. and Dean M. Schreiber. His brother predeceased him in 1986.
Return to Top
Hans Tachau '53
A retired hospital administrator, was born on April 2, 1931, in Hellenstedt, Germany. The only child of Hans A., a physician, and Elisabeth Knoll Tachau, a medical technician, he immigrated to the United States with his parents at the age of 7 in 1938. The family settled in Prattsburg in western New York, where Dr. Tachau practiced medicine after serving in the U.S. Army during World War II. Young Hans grew up in Prattsburg and was graduated from Prattsburg Central School. He came to College Hill in 1949 and joined Lambda Chi Alpha. A member of the College Band and also active in the German Club, he was awarded his diploma in 1953.
That year, Hans Tachau enlisted in the U.S. Army. Assigned to the Medical Corps, he served for three years, most of it at the Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, DC. He subsequently did graduate work at Syracuse University while employed in hospital administration York's Upstate Medical Center. On October 5, 1963, he and Vivian C. Fehr were married in New Hartford, NY.
Hans Tachau remained with SUNY Upstate as a clinic administrator for a decade until 1966, when he moved to Pittsburgh and joined the administrative staff of the Western Pennsylvania Hospital as an assistant director. Promoted to director of personnel services, he remained with the hospital until his retirement as director of human resources in 1988. Thereafter, in partnership with his wife, he engaged in real estate sales until 2000, when they both retired while continuing to reside in the Pittsburgh area.
Hans Tachau, who escaped Pittsburgh winters in Florida, enjoyed gardening and golf. Travel also filled his later years as, for more than a decade, he combated cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. A faithful alumnus, he died on April 24, 2007, leaving "a legacy of unconditional love, forgiveness and joy of life." In addition to his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Elena Wilson and Krista Piotrowski; a son, Eric H. Tachau; and three grandchildren.
Return to Top
Edward Anthony Vadeika '55
Who practiced psychiatry in New York City until his retirement last year, was born on September 15, 1933, in Hillside, NJ. His parents were Anthony Vadeika, a draftsman forWestern Electric Co., and the former Mary Baronowsky. Ed Vadeika entered Hamilton in 1951, following his graduation from Hillside High School, where he had been student government president. While pursuing premedical studies, he served on the student admissions committee and participated in the campus fund drive .A member of Psi Upsilon ,he was graduated in 1955.
With the recommendation of Dean Winton Tolles as "personable" and with an "alert, inquisitive, and thorough mind, "Ed Vadeika gained admission to Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons. Soon after receiving his M.D. degree in 1959, he was married to Jeanette Burrow. Following an internship at Brooklyn Methodist Hospital, Dr.Vadeika served his residency in psychiatry at the New York Hospital, Westchester Division, in White Plains. Except for active duty with the U.S. Navy during the VietnamWar, he maintained his private psychiatric practice for more than 40 years.
A longtime resident of Ridgewood,NJ, Edward A. Vadeika died on February 26, 2007. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a daughter, Laura Pope; a son, Erik Vadeika; and five grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
John Fellows Bush III '56
Whose varied occupations encompassed advertising, marketing, and real estate, was born on September 24, 1934, in New York City. The son of John F. Jr., a business executive, and Elizabeth Daly Bush, he grew up in the Rochester, NY, suburb of Pittsford and prepared for college at the Kent School in Connecticut. He enrolled at Hamilton in 1952, joined Psi Upsilon, and became a member of the Choir. After 3½ years of academic struggle, he left the Hill and enlisted in the U.S. Army. He served for two years and was in charge of troop information for the Artillery School Command at Fort Sill, OK, when he was discharged as a sergeant in 1958.
John Bush thereafter pursued studies at the University of Rochester and, majoring in English, acquired his A.B. degree in 1960. Initially employed for two years as a sales representative for Oxford University Press in Manhattan, he subsequently entered the advertising field in the Midwest as an account executive for the Bozell & Jacobs agency in Omaha, NE, and Sioux City, IA. After four years with the agency, he returned to Rochester and joined the Hutchins Advertising Co., also as an account executive.
By 1970, John Bush had relocated to Denver, CO, where he became manager of marketing for Jeffco Manufacturing Co., producers of metal containers for the brewing and beverage industry. He moved to Aspen, CO, in 1973 to serve as director of sales for Aspen Today while also operating his own advertising agency and working in real estate sales. In 1976, he was named manager of Aspen's only AM radio station, KSNO.
John Bush returned once again in the early 1980s to Rochester to be with his aging parents. In 1983, he underwent brain surgery and suffered complications that would plague him throughout his remaining years. Nonetheless, known as "someone who always made the best out of all life's challenges and joys, "he continued to lead an active and fulfilling life, particularly enjoying fly fishing and music of every kind.
John F. Bush III, a supportive alumnus who considered his time at Hamilton the best years of his life, died in Rochester on May 17, 2007.Hismarriage to Karen Nelson in 1961 having ended in divorce in 1967, he is survived by two daughters, Elizabeth Lang and Alexandra Nelson-Hill, as well as a granddaughter and a sister.
Return to Top
Craig Edward Crawford '57
Craig Edward Crawford '57, last employed by the Sun-Sentinel newspaper in south Florida, was born on March 12, 1935, in Albany, NY. The son of Edward M., and accountant, and Olive Widdell Crawford, he grew up in East Aurora, NY, and came to Hamilton in 1953 from East Aurora High School. A member of ELS, he transferred to the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill at the end of his sophomore year, and the College lost contact with him thereafter.
A brief obituary notice reported Craig E. Crawford's death on March 8, 2005. A resident of Pompano Beach, FL, at the time, he was survived by his wife, Laraine, and a daughter , Cheryl.
Return to Top
Daniel Adin Davis '57
Daniel Adin Davis '57 was born on April 12, 1935, to Arthur G. and Martha Frazier Davis in Clarksburg, WV. After his parents were divorced, his mother remarried and he grew up in the home of his mother and stepfather, George D. Rozzell. Dan Davis was graduated from Washington Irving High School in Clarksburg, and came to College Hill in 1953 and joined Delta Upsilon. However, in part for financial reasons, he left the Hill after a semester and joined the U.S. Marines. He remained in military service for several years and was stationed as a Marine Air Corps navigator in Japan. When last heard from in 1964, he was residing in Burbank, CA.
The College has verified through Social Security records that Daniel A. Davis died on August 11, 2006. He was then residing in his native Clarksburg. No information on survivors is available.
Return to Top
Robert Branson Miller, Jr. '57
Robert Branson Miller, Jr. '57, a retired newspaper publisher and community leader and benefactor, was born on August 10, 1935, in Battle Creek, MI. A son of Robert B., president and later owner of Federated Publications, Inc. (a chain of newspapers founded by his father, Albert R. Miller), and Jean Leonard Miller, he grew up in Battle Creek and prepared for college at the Hotchkiss School in Connecticut. He entered Hamilton in 1953 and joined Chi Psi. However, after two years of academic struggle and realizing that he was "not ready for college, "Bob Miller left the Hill and in 1956 joined the U.S. Navy. After his two-year enlistment was up he enrolled at Michigan State University, where he majored in English and earned his B.A. degree in 1960.
That year, Bob Miller, who had worked part-time for the Lansing State Journal, a Federated Publications newspaper, while at the University, joined its staff full-time. At the State Journal, Bob Miller received extensive training for the family business in a variety of jobs encompassing the news department, advertising, circulation, promotion, and public service. He left the paper in 1966 to become assistant to the publisher of the Idaho Statesman in Boise, and in 1969 he was named publisher of the Daily Olympian in Washington State. Both newspapers were part of the Federated chain. In 1971, he returned to the Idaho Statesman as its publisher. Although his father had sold the Federated newspapers to the Gannett chain that year, the family continued to be active in their management.
Bob Miller remained in Idaho until 1979,when, upon his father's retirement, he returned to his hometown and assumed the publishing reins of the Battle Creek Enquirer, the first link in the chain that his grandfather had forged. He retired from the Enquirer in 1990, after battling for 13 years the increasingly devastating physical effects of Parkinson's disease. During his tenure he had revamped the newspaper and modernized its production. Known to colleagues and friends as a man of charm and wit, he continued the newspaper's tradition of promoting civic pride while also supporting positive community change.
Active in the community, Bob Miller, through the Miller Foundation, carried on his family's extensive philanthropic endeavors in the Battle Creek area. In addition to involvement in the Foundation's many projects for civic and educational improvement, he was personally active as a volunteer for numerous charitable and cultural organizations and causes.
Robert B. Miller's 30-year struggle with Parkinson's disease ended in his native Battle Creek on March 5, 2007. A faithful alumnus, he is survived by his wife, Pattricia Levitt Miller, whom he had wed in 1979. Also surviving are two daughters and two sons from his first marriage, Melissa A. Boley, Jennifer M. Sullivan, and Gregory A. and Jeffrey W. Miller, as well as a stepson, seven grandchildren, and a brother.
Return to Top
Joseph William Holland '59
An attorney-at-law, was born on September 19, 1937, the son of Nathan Holland, a pharmacist, and the former Dorothy Josephs, in New York City. Bill Holland came to Hamilton in 1955, following his graduation from New Rochelle High School. He joined the Emerson Literary Society, went out for soccer, and served on the staff of The Spectator. However, he left the Hill after two years and subsequently enrolled at the University of Connecticut at Bridgeport, where he acquired his B.S. degree, majoring in economics, in 1960.
Thereafter, while serving in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Bill Holland pursued studies at the University of Michigan Law School. On September 14, 1963, shortly after receiving his LL.B., he and Louise C. Abbell were married in Chicago, IL. The couple moved to that city, and Bill established his law practice on LaSalle Street in Chicago's Loop. They later settled in suburban Winnetka, where Bill became a member of the board of the Community Council and president of the United Way.
As a partner with his uncle in the firm of Holland & Holland, Bill Holland specialized in securities enforcement and arbitration and broker-dealer regulation. He also managed the commercial real estate interests of the Abbell family, which required a fair amount of travel. In his spare time he enjoyed golf, tennis, and collecting works of art. J. William Holland, an unfailingly faithful and generous alumnus who assisted Hamilton in numerous volunteer capacities, was still residing in Winnetka when he died on May 1, 2007. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a daughter, Elizabeth I. Holland '87; a son, Ethan M. Holland '90; and three grandchildren.
Return to Top