Alumni Necrology

Amanda Margot Bader ’80

Amanda Margot Bader ’80, who found her life’s joy in equestrian riding,was born on March 1, 1956. A daughter of Robert E., a business owner, and Helen Bader, an office manager, Amanda Bader grew up in New York City, where she was graduated in 1974 from New Lincoln School. That fall, she entered the State University of New York at Binghamton,where she continued her studies through the fall of 1977. She transferred to Kirkland College in the spring of 1978, the school’s final semester before its consolidation with Hamilton. Staying on, she served as sports photographer for The Spectator and was stage manager for dance concerts and active in the Ski Club. She concentrated in government and received her diploma in 1980.

The College has little information on Amanda Bader’s subsequent activities, except that she worked for a time in public relations, sports marketing, and in the travel field in New York City. In recent years,while residing in Accord, NY, near Woodstock, she became an enthusiastic equestrian, riding her horse Samira on the circuit in three-day eventing competitions, including dressage, cross-country, and jumping. She began competing as an adult amateur on her beloved Samira in 2003.

Amanda Bader was participating in cross-country at the winter horse trials in Ocala, Fl, on February 17, 2007,when she was thrown from the saddle and sustained a severe head injury. Flown to a trauma unit in Gainesville, FL, she died there on February 28, with her family at her side. In addition to her parents, she is survived by her husband, Philippe Steinmann, and her sister, Stephanie.
Return to Top

Erick Norman Erickson ’84

Erick Norman Erickson ’84, former proprietor of a consulting firm,was born on September 22, 1961, in Hartford, CT.The son of Norman E.W., president and chief executive of a savings bank, and Barbara J. Erickson, he prepared for college at Choate Rosemary Hall in Connecticut, where he was a valued member of the hockey and lacrosse teams. He enrolled at Hamilton from Southington, CT, in 1980 and joined Sigma Phi. While pursuing a concentration in public policy, he also played varsity lacrosse.

Following his graduation in 1984, Erick Erickson found employment in New York City with Professional Business Brokers, a mergers and acquisitions company. Promoted to marketing director of its medical services group, he was later employed as director of medical acquisitions by Towers Financial Corp., also in Manhattan.

He moved back to Connecticut in the 1990s,where he established his own consulting firm, The Erickson Group, in Essex, which specialized in fine architectural components. In Essex, he was active in the local Rotary Club and as a volunteer for the Connecticut River Museum. Erich Erickson most recently resided on Cape Cod, where he had spent many summers as a child. Known to family and friends as a dedicated outdoorsman and athlete “who approached life in his own way,” he engaged in a wide variety of sports, from tennis and golf, to sailing and scuba diving, to mountain climbing and camping, “anything that required gear.” He was also very fond of gardening and travel, especially to such favorite destinations as Europe, Iceland, and the Caribbean.

He took particular pleasure in finding and giving unusual gifts to family members and friends, and had a way of “bringing sunshine and vitality into a great many lives.”

Erick N. Erickson, who had been combating an invasive parasite resulting from water he had drunk while visiting a mountainous area of the Caribbean, died unexpectedly on February 4, 2007, at his home in Cotuit, MA. In addition to his parents, his is survived by an uncle and cousins, as well as his former wife, Catherine Morris, who remained a close friend.
Return to Top

Contact Information

Stacey Himmelberger

Editor, Hamilton Alumni Review
198 College Hill Road
Clinton, NY 13323
Back to Top