Robert Lewis Bacon '40, emeritus professor of cell biology and anatomy at the Oregon Health Sciences University (formerly the University of Oregon Medical School) and an environmental leader, was born on February 5, 1918, in Olean, NY. The fourth of five children of the Rev. Hiram D. Bacon, Class of 1896, a Presbyterian minister, and the former Grace Brundage Stoddard, he grew up in upstate New York and enrolled at Hamilton in 1936, following his graduation from Port Henry High School. A man of many interests "who liked biology as well as Beethoven," according to The Hamiltonian, he was active both in the Biology Club, serving as its president, and in the Musical Arts Society. A co-founder of the Squires Club and member of its executive committee, he excelled scholastically, winning the Holbrook Prize as well as the Renwick Prize Scholarship in Biology. He was graduated Phi Beta Kappa and with high honors, including honors in biology, in 1940.
Aided by the Elihu Root Fellowship in Science, Bob Bacon went on to graduate study at Yale University, where he was awarded his M.A. degree in 1942 and his Ph.D. in zoology in 1944. At the time, the most attractive position offered him was in the department of anatomy at the Stanford University School of Medicine. As a result, he found himself teaching anatomy rather than biology, as he had intended. Promoted to assistant professor in 1946, he left the West Coast in 1951 to become an associate professor at the University of Tennessee School of Medicine. In 1955, after two years as associate professor of anatomy at the Johns Hopkins Medical School, he began his long tenure at the University of Oregon in Portland. Promoted to full professor in 1959, he retired in 1982.
Over the years, Bob Bacon introduced some 4,300 future physicians to the anatomical sciences. He also contributed numerous research papers on embryology and endocrine oncology to professional journals, as well as chapters in books and a textbook on medical histology. Although highly engaged in academic committee work and administrative functions, and when not away on visiting professorships, he focused his primary attention on teaching. He was the recipient an unprecedented seven times of the student-selected Allan J. Hill, Jr. Teaching Award. Combining formal lectures with informal student gatherings, he was easily approachable and became an unofficial mentor for many students, especially those in their first year. He was totally committed to helping them along the path to career success, from which he derived great satisfaction. His curiosity about the world around him "came as naturally as breathing." He delighted in passing on what he had learned and in motivating students to explore further. In addition to his positive and permanent influence on students, he inspired colleagues with his dedication and consummate skill as a teacher.
Particularly interested in the environment around him, Bob Bacon, who had grown up exploring the woods of upstate New York, became an environmental leader on the West Coast. Greatly interested in marine biology and especially concerned about the intertidal zone and its plankton threatened by pollution, he helped launch the Haystack Rock Awareness Program to educate people about the coastal ecology and encourage them to become its stewards. As president of Citizens to Save Oregon Beaches and co-founder and later president of the Oregon Shores Conservation Coalition, he also led efforts to save the state's beaches for public use. With great perseverance, he successfully worked behind the scenes to get legislative approval in 1967 for a controversial bill that extended and defined beach ownership for the public's benefit.
Bob Bacon resided just a block from the beach in the little coastal town of Gearhart, OR, where he enjoyed leisurely conversation with friends over a glass of wine. He had become involved with Oregon wine-making during its early days, and in lecturing on wine and conducting wine tastings, he helped encourage the growth of the industry in the state. One of his favorite leisure activities was fishing in mountain streams. The resulting catch he prepared himself, often a poached salmon or a halibut filet, baked in wine, of course, which he delightedly shared with friends.
Bob Bacon also did some drawing and painting, as well as calligraphy, and became "a pretty good potter." For more than 20 years he taught anatomy to life-drawing classes at the Pacific Northwest College of Art, which honored him in 1987 with a Doctor of Arts degree. Other retirement activities included lecturing to Elderhostel classes on marine ecology and training hundreds of volunteers for the Oregon Department of Parks and Recreation's whale-watch program.
A fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and twice elected president of the Oregon Marine Biological Society, Bob Bacon saw the establishment at the Oregon Health Sciences University of the Robert L. Bacon Endowment Fund for Medical Education Enrichment. It was fitting recognition of his work as a scientist and teacher, as well as "tireless conservationist and influential wine connoisseur."
Robert L. Bacon, an ardently, devoted alumnus, died in his sleep on January 10, 2009, shortly before his 91st birthday. He was predeceased in 1992 by his first wife, the former Irene L. Anderson, whom he had wed on March 23, 1946, in Palo Alto, CA. On December 24, 1994, he married Sue Daniel, who survives him. Also surviving are a daughter and son from his first marriage, Barbara Folawn and David R. Bacon, and two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
Edward Judson Wynkoop, Jr. '40, a longtime financial consultant, was born on May 23, 1917, in Syracuse, NY. A son of Edward J., a prominent physician in that city, and Florence Niver Wynkoop, he grew up in Syracuse, where he was graduated from North High School. He enrolled at Hamilton in 1936, joined Psi Upsilon, and played interfraternity sports.
After leaving the Hill with his diploma in 1940, Ed Wynkoop went to work for the Sealright Co. in Fulton, NY. He also took basic training in the Marine Corps Reserve, and after the country entered World War II, he went on active duty with the U.S. Navy. He served in the European theater, including convoy runs to the far-northern Soviet port of Murmansk. Discharged as a lieutenant after the war's end, he remained in the Naval Reserve for many years and attained the rank of lieutenant commander.
On December 22, 1945, when he was still on active duty, Lt. Wynkoop was married to Nancy H. Leeds in a high-society wedding in Glen Cove, Long Island. His bride's paternal grandparents were William B. Leeds, the industrialist known as "the tin-plate king," and Princess Anastasia of the Russian House of Romanov. Nancy Leeds' mother was Princess Xenia, daughter of Grand Duke George, who was shot by the Bolsheviks during the Russian Revolution, and Princess Marie of Greece and Denmark. After the marriage, the newlyweds took up residence in New York City, where Ed Wynkoop found employment with the Wall Street firm of Tucker Anthony & Co. and became a registered representative of the New York Stock Exchange.
In 1948, the Wynkoops moved to Darien, CT, where Ed, with a friend, operated a retail furniture store. In 1958, he returned to the financial field as an investment officer at Fairfield County Trust Co. in Stamford, CT. He was in charge of buying and selling securities for the bank's trust accounts as well as for its own portfolio. In 1969, he moved with his family to Woodstock, VT, and joined Fraser Management Associates, a financial and investment consulting firm in Burlington. He became an associate and director of the firm, with an office in Woodstock, and remained affiliated with it until the 1990s.
A member of numerous civic and military organizations, Ed Wynkoop was also active in the community. While in Woodstock, he served as village auditor and was engaged in Republican politics as town party chairman and treasurer. He also served on the financial committees of St. James Episcopal Church and the Woodstock Historical Society. Fly fishing and stamp and coin collecting were among his favorite pastimes.
Edward J. Wynkoop, Jr., a loyal and generously supportive alumnus, died on April 10, 2009, while hospitalized in Windsor, VT, in his 92nd year. Predeceased by his wife in 2006, he is survived by a daughter, Alexandra Wynkoop. His brother, William NiverWynkoop '21, also predeceased him, in 1980.
Return to Top
Frederick George Goehner '41, a retired purchasing manager, was born on August 9, 1919, to Frederick K. and Fanny Pogue Goehner, in Utica, NY. Young Fred came to the Hill from Utica Free Academy in 1937, joined Delta Upsilon, and went out for fencing and soccer. However, he had to drop out of college for financial reasons after only three semesters. Employed in a variety of jobs for three years, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1942, following U.S. entry into the Second World War. He served as an aircraft instrument and automatic pilot technician with the 8th Air Force in Britain until his discharge as a sergeant in early 1946, after the war's end.
Fred Goehner immediately returned to College Hill "to pick up where I had left off." Considered, at age 26, "the grand old man of the DU house," he became "mentor and stern advisor for his turbulent brethren," in the words of The Hamiltonian. As president of the house, he also served as its representative on the Interfraternity Council during his senior year. Known for his passion for coffee and intense curiosity about the inner workings of automobiles, he received his B.S. degree in 1948.
By that time, Fred Goehner had taken the post of national traveling secretary for DU, a job he found both interesting and enjoyable. But after a year, he settled down in Syracuse, NY, where he entered the General Electric Co.'s financial training program in 1949. On June 25 of that year, in Clinton, he was married to Eloise C. Burton, a daughter of Hamilton's superintendent of buildings and grounds, "General" Elliot C. Burton.
Fred Goehner, who would remain employed by General Electric for 24 years, mostly in the purchasing field, became a buyer for the company's television department. Accredited as a certified purchasing manager by the National Association of Purchasing Agents, he also became active in that organization, serving on its committees. In the early 1970s, when G.E. moved its television department to Portsmouth, VA, he decided not to relocate but to remain in Syracuse instead. However, he continued to work in the purchasing management field, with the Carrier Corp., air-conditioning manufacturers, and Strathmore Products, industrial coatings and solvents manufacturers, until his retirement in 1981.
Fred Goehner's leisure pastimes included bowling and golf, and he was a member of several leagues. In addition, he enjoyed bicycling and gardening, and he never lost his fascination for automobiles. His devotion to Hamilton also never waned, and he was ever supportive of the College.
Frederick G. Goehner died at his home in North Syracuse on March 9, 2009, in his 90th year. Predeceased by his wife in 2006, and his son, Frederick B. Goehner '74, in 1999, he is survived by two daughters, Ann L. and Carol J. Goehner, and three grandchildren.
Return to Top
George Fairbank Stockdale '42, a ceramic engineer who engaged in industrial research for 45 years, was born on July 13, 1921, in Spencerport, NY, west of Rochester. The son of the Rev. George M. Stockdale and the former Winifred M. Dennis, he completed his high school education in 1938 in Clinton, where the family had only recently moved. That fall, he came up the Hill from his home on Marvin Street to enroll at the College. Valedictorian of his high school class and with a scientific bent, he concentrated his studies on chemistry and physics while playing varsity baseball and football in his spare time. A member of the Squires Club and known for racing his "jalopies" down the Hill to home, he was awarded the Root Prize Scholarship in Mathematics, the Southworth Prize in Physics, and the Norton Prize in Chemistry.
Shortly after obtaining his B.S. degree with honors in physics in 1938, George Stockdale joined the Corning Glass Works Research Laboratory in Corning, NY, as a junior physicist. He was immediately assigned to work on a project to substitute glass for natural mica in radio capacitors. Given the severe shortage of electronic-grade mica in the midst of World War II, the work was of strategic importance. He continued to be employed at Corning through the war and beyond, and what he learned about glass from Corning scientists significantly influenced the remainder of his working career.
In 1947, George Stockdale became a research assistant professor of ceramic engineering at the University of Illinois, where he acquired an M.S. degree in ceramics in 1952. Although promoted to associate professor, the lure of industrial research drew him back to Corning in 1953 to resume work on developing glass electronic components. With the completion of his major project in 1960, he left Corning to join the International Resistance Co. in Philadelphia, PA, as technical director of the Minuteman High Reliability Resistor Program. Soon, when the resulting component went into production, he served as chief engineer of the division established to manufacture it for the Armed Forces.
In 1961, George Stockdale began the last phase of his career as a member of the technical staff of RCA Laboratories in Princeton, NJ. In the succeeding years he worked on numerous electronics projects involving glass manufacture, kinescopes, flat panel displays, and solid-state devices. The author of many technical papers and holder or co-holder of a dozen patents, he shared the RCA Laboratories' Outstanding Achievement Award in 1979. He retired in 1987.
George Stockdale, who took up flying at the end of World War II, owned several small airplanes over the years. He also did some sailing in the Caribbean with his daughters, who shared his enthusiasm for scuba diving. In retirement, he traveled as much as possible, frequently on cruise ships, and spent most summers at his family's camp in the Adirondacks.
Long a resident of Princeton, George F. Stockdale had only recently taken up residence in Dayton, OH, when he died on November 10, 2008. He was predeceased in 1990 by his wife, Jean Atchison Stockdale, whom he had wed on August 20, 1949, in Urbana, IL. Surviving are two daughters, Anne Gardner and Carol Haggans, and four grandchildren.
Return to Top
William Edwin Bennett '44, who retired after 40 years as a research chemist, was born on October 31, 1922, in the Bronx, NY. The son of Arthur Bennett, a bank manager, and the former Jane Daniels, Bill Bennett, also known as "Benny," grew up in the Bronx, where he was graduated in 1940 from DeWitt Clinton High School. Already aspiring to a career as a research chemist, he entered Hamilton that fall.
He joined Psi Upsilon, sang in the Choir, and "studied and played diligently" until he responded to the Navy's World War II call for recruits at the end of his junior year in 1943. Commissioned as an officer, he served for 2½ years aboard the destroyer escort U.S.S. Cockrill in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, and Pacific theaters. Released from active duty as a lieutenant (j.g.) in 1946, he returned to College Hill for his senior year. Having majored in chemistry, he was awarded his diploma in 1947.
After sharpening his chemistry skills by taking graduate courses at New York University, Bill Bennett entered the work force. He would spend the next four decades helping to develop new household products for a series of companies, beginning with C. B. Dolge Co. in Westport, CT, in 1948. That year, he and Joan A. Blauvelt were married in White Plains, NY.
In 1953, Bill Bennett left Dolge for employment with Stanley Home Products in Easthampton, MA, followed by stints with Whirlpool Corp. in St. Joseph, MI, Boyle-Midway in Crawford, NJ, and ultimately for more than 20 years with Lever Brothers in Edgewater, NJ. He was a senior research chemist for Lever Brothers when he retired in 1988. Three years earlier, his second marriage, in 1967, to Florence Evergetis had ended with her death. He and Jacqueline Dunne, also widowed, were married in 1986. The result was a collective family of six children, two of his and four of hers, as well as many grandchildren.
After Jacqueline Bennett retired in 1990, she and Bill took to the easy life "like ducks to water." They ardently took up golf together, and combined travel with golf by playing a vast number of different courses. Winters were partly spent in Pensacola, FL, and when at home, time passed quickly and pleasantly with friends and family.
William E. Bennett, long a resident of Ridgefield, NJ, and an ever-faithful alumnus, died on April 28, 2009. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a daughter, Linda Gaffney, born of his first marriage, and nine grandchildren. He was predeceased by a son, Thomas A. Bennett, from his second marriage.
Return to Top
Frank Samuel Child III '44, a retired trade publications editor and community leader in his native Port Jefferson, NY, was born on September 18, 1921. The son of Frank S., Jr., Class of 1903, a physician and surgeon, and Helen Bayles Child, of the Bayles shipbuilding family, he was a grandson of Frank S. Child, Class of 1875, a minister and author, and a nephew of Arthur H. Child, Class of 1905. Young Frank Child grew up in Port Jefferson and prepared for college at Hotchkiss School in Connecticut. He came to Hamilton in 1940, joined his father's and grandfather's fraternity, Delta Upsilon, and went out for soccer.
In early 1943, Frank Child withdrew from the College to enlist in the U.S. Army in the midst of World War II. However, he served in uniform for only a few months before contracting acute nephritis. Soon discharged, he returned to the Hill, completed his studies, and received his A.B. degree in June 1945 as one of only eight students to be graduated in that time of war.
Frank Child, who in the meantime had returned to Long Island and entered journalism as an editor of the Huntington Times, began his career in trade publishing in 1949, initially within the drug and cosmetic industry. He later worked for various glass industry publications, also in New York City, and became a founder of the Society of Glass and Ceramic Decorators. He was its executive secretary until his retirement in 1986. In his honor, the Society established the annual Frank S. Child Award for contributions to the industry.
While continuing to reside in Port Jefferson on Long Island Sound, he served as president of the Port Jefferson Historical Society from 1973 to 1977, and later, even in retirement, as its treasurer. He also served on the board of the local library and was an elder of the Port Jefferson Presbyterian Church. His retirement activities included driver for Meals on Wheels and volunteer at two local hospitals. In addition, his hobby of caning antique chairs had expanded into a modest business.
Frank S. Child III was still residing in Port Jefferson when he died of kidney failure on July 27, 2008. He is survived by his wife, the former Frances Ann Antrim, whom he had married in Smithtown, NY, on June 12, 1948. Also surviving are three sons, Mark H., Peter A., and Thomas H. Child, and an adopted daughter and six grandchildren.
Return to Top
Daniel David Cantor '45, a personnel administrator who took time off in midlife to serve in the Peace Corps, and later retired as Harvard University's director of personnel, was born on November 10, 1923, in Staten Island, NY. The youngest of three children of Reuben Cantor, a lawyer, and the former Ethel Bardes, he grew up on Staten Island, where he was graduated in 1940 from Curtis High School. Dan Cantor entered Hamilton the following year, joined the College Band, and became a member of the College's first intercollegiate swimming team in 1942. After three semesters, however, he withdrew from the College to go on active duty with the U.S. Army Air Corps. Trained as a pilot and commissioned as an officer, he served as a pilot instructor with the Air Transport Command in North Africa and the Middle East during World War II.
Discharged as a lieutenant after the war's end in 1945, Dan Cantor returned to College Hill and resumed his studies in the spring of 1946. He also went back in the pool and became captain of the varsity swimming team in 1946-47. Excluded from campus fraternity life because of his Jewish heritage, he became a leader of the organization for independents, the Squires Club. He "graced the post-war hill as the Squires' genial prexy," in the words of The Hamiltonian, and represented the club on the Interfraternity Council. Also known for his aging Chevrolet, "Mularky," he was awarded his A.B. degree in 1948. On September 14 of the previous year, he and his high school sweetheart, Marianne Seligman, had been wed on Staten Island.
After leaving Hamilton, Dan Cantor went to work in the personal loan department of the National City Bank of New York. In 1949, he joined the American Can Co., also in New York City, as an assistant in its wage and salary division. While there he took night-school business courses at New York University and earned his M.B.A. in 1951. He left American Can as supervisor of wage administration in 1957 to become assistant personnel manager for Brookhaven National Laboratories on Long Island. Five years later, he moved to Massachusetts to join the Itek Corp. in Lexington as director of employee relations, and was later promoted to vice president of personnel.
In 1969, following a two-year battle with cancer, Dan Cantor's wife Marianne died. That tragic event prompted him to reassess his life, leading to his decision to join the Peace Corps in 1971. Appointed deputy director of the Peace Corps program in India, he was named to head the program in Fiji in 1972. While in the Peace Corps in India, he met Marilyn "Mitzi" McDonald, and they were married in Suva, Fiji, in October 1973. They returned to the States in 1976 and Dan resumed his "civilian" career when named director of personnel by Harvard University. He remained in that post for 12 years, retiring in 1988.
During and after those years, consulting positions with the Harvard Institute of International Development led to wide travel abroad, from Kenya and Ethiopia to Brunei, where he served as an advisor to its fabulously wealthy sultan. He also served as a member of the Massachusetts Governor's Task Force on Mental Health and on Employment. In addition, he was a member of many other local, state, and national human resources boards, several dedicated to advancing equal employment. Throughout his career, he delighted in working with people, encouraging their potential and helping them reach their goals.
Having traded Massachusetts for "more Southerly climes" in recent years, Dan Cantor took up residence in Virginia and later Maryland. Among hobbies he continued to pursue were birding and bird photography, with bicycling as his favorite form of exercise. A thoughtful man who was ever supportive of Hamilton despite bittersweet experiences from his student days, he continued throughout his life to take a keen interest in the College and its advancement.
Daniel D. Cantor died on January 9, 2009, at a hospice in Milford, DE, after a four-year struggle with Parkinson's disease. In addition to his wife of 35 years, he is survived by two sons from his first marriage, Steven L. and David A. Cantor '76; a stepdaughter, Cheryl Watson; and five grandchildren. He was predeceased by his brother, Allan W. Carter (nee Cantor) '38, in 1993.
Return to Top
John Richmond Douglass '46, a chemist who carved out a new career as a park ranger, was born in Hwai Yuen, Anwhei, China, on February 16, 1925. The son of Richmond Douglass, a physician and surgeon, and the former Margaret Erskine, he grew up in Ithaca, NY. He came to College Hill in the summer of 1942 from Ithaca High School, where he had been salutatorian of his graduating class. One of the few "civilian" students on the Hill during those years of World War II, he diligently pursued his studies and, thanks to an accelerated wartime program, was graduated in three years. A member of the Squires Club and the Honor Court, and the winner of the Norton and Underwood Prizes in Chemistry, he was awarded his A.B. degree with honors in chemistry in 1945. He was one of only eight seniors to receive diplomas that June, the smallest number of graduates at a Commencement since 1835.
After briefly taking graduate courses in chemistry at Cornell University, John Douglass enrolled at the University of Colorado, where he became a research and teaching assistant, and obtained his Ph.D. in organic chemistry in 1952. Thereafter he taught chemistry at the Colorado School of Mines until 1956 and at Colorado State University in Ft. Collins until 1963. During summers he worked as a park ranger at Rocky Mountain National Park. Lured into a new career by that work, he left Colorado State as an assistant professor and joined the National Park Service as a park naturalist.
Assigned by the Service to eight different parks over the years, including Carlsbad Caverns, Petrified Forest, and Yellowstone, John Douglass worked in the field of interpretation, involving guided walks, formal and informal presentations, audio-visual programs, and information-desk services. He also spent much time developing and preparing exhibits and publications, and found that work especially satisfying. During the 1970s he was assistant chief naturalist at Rocky Mountain National Park and chief interpreter at Olympic National Park. After serving as assistant chief interpreter at the Park Service's Pacific Northwest Regional Office in Seattle, he retired in 1987 as staff interpreter at North Cascades National Park in Washington State
Upon retirement, John Douglass immediately took on the part-time job of business manager for book and map sales at North Cascades, and he took pride in the fact that sales tripled during the five years that he was in charge. His retirement years were also devoted to serving as chairman of the board of the Northwest Interpretative Association and to his hobbies of stamp collecting, birding, and gardening.
John R. Douglass, a resident of Mount Vernon, WA, and a devoted alumnus, died in Mount Vernon on May 27, 2009. He is survived by his wife, the former Ramona J. Evans, whom he had married in 1970. Also surviving is a sister, Margaret Darrow.
Return to Top
William Frederick Freisem '46, who ardently devoted his working life to the education of young people, was born on August 29, 1924, in Clifton Springs, NY. A son of Alfred J., an insurance salesman, and Myra Hanna Freisem, a nurse, he grew up near Geneva, NY, and came to College Hill in 1942 from Geneva High School. He became a member of the Emerson Literary Society and joined the Charlatans as well as the staff of campus radio station WHC. However, after a year on the Hill, Bill Freisem, like many other students at that time, left to enter military service. He was assigned to the Navy's V-12 program at Colgate University and subsequently attended midshipmen's school at Columbia and communications school at Harvard. Commissioned as an ensign, he served as a communications officer until his discharge after World War II's end in 1945.
Bill Freisem returned to Hamilton in the summer of 1946 to complete his studies. Credited with courses taken while in the Navy, he was granted his A.B. degree in 1947. On June 28 of that year, while employed by the Aetna Life Insurance Co. in Hartford, CT, he was wed to Eleanor M. Tressler in Westport. Thanks to the G.I. Bill, he was subsequently able to go abroad for two years of study: Scandinavian history at the University of Copenhagen and British history at the University of Edinburgh. He returned to the States in 1950 and a year later acquired an M.A. in European history at the University of Pennsylvania.
Bill Freisem began his career in education as a 5th-grade teacher at Montgomery Country Day School in Wynnewood, PA. He subsequently moved to Massachusetts, where he taught history for five years at Amherst High School. Beginning in 1961, he taught 11th-grade history at Granby High School and also chaired its social studies department. He was named the school's principal in 1964. In addition, he served for two years as supervisor of student teachers at the University of Massachusetts.
In 1967, Bill Freisem returned to Pennsylvania to teach history and coordinate social studies at the Germantown Friends School in Philadelphia. Six years later, he pulled up stakes once again and settled in the Chicago area to teach history and chair the social studies department at North Shore Country Day School in Winnetka. Although he retired after 17 years there in 1990, he was called back temporarily in 1992-93 to head North Shore's upper school.
Bill Freisem, known for his humor and genuine enthusiasm for the subjects he taught, developed a devoted following among generations of students. He was not only a committed and gifted classroom teacher but also cared deeply about his students and their success. In many ways he helped enrich their lives during a career that he found personally rewarding as well. In recognition of his outstanding service to North Shore Country Day School, the William F. Freisem Chair in history was established in his honor.
After retiring, Bill Freisem continued his passionate interest in travel, which encompassed all parts of the globe. Called "a true connoisseur of the art of conversation," he was also a passionate reader. With an inquisitive mind and profound interest in the happenings of the world, he read The New York Times daily and avidly, and enjoyed sharing his knowledge and love of reading with others. In retirement, he surrounded himself with books by working part-time at the Barnes & Noble store in Evanston.
William F. Freisem, a devoted alumnus and onetime regional chairman of the Alumni Fund, died on January 26, 2009, in Seattle, WA, where he was last residing. He had been afflicted with Parkinson's disease for the past several years. His marriage having ended in divorce, he is survived by two daughters, Susan Birkhead and Karen Freisem; two sons, Peter and Thomas Freisem '80; and five grandchildren, two sisters, and a brother.
Return to Top
Paul Harrison Reid, Jr. '46, a lawyer and human rights champion in his native Niagara Falls, NY, was born on April 16, 1924. A son of Paul H., an engineer, and Daisy Notestine Reid, he came to College Hill in 1942 from Niagara Falls High School. He remained long enough to join Delta Kappa Upsilon before being sent off with a farewell party on his way to enlist in the U.S. Army. However, having "flunked" the Army physical examination the very next day in Utica, he came back to the Hill and finished a year of study. He also sang in the Choir "under the stern but affectionate control of Dr. Fancher." Thereafter he transferred to the University of Rochester for a year, followed by his admission to the University of Chicago Law School, admission requirements such as a bachelor's degree having been relaxed during that World War II era.
After acquiring his J.D. degree in 1948, Paul Reid returned to his hometown and was admitted to the New York State Bar. On July 3, 1948, just a week after taking the bar exam, he was married in Niagara Falls to Lois J. Palmer. He joined the local law firm of Findlay, Argy & Hackett, of which he later became a partner. He continued to practice law for 61 years and was a partner in the firm of Rice, Reid, Broderick & Wattengel at the time of his death. In a career self-described as "rather typical of a small-town lawyer," he considered his crowning achievement to have been the successful prosecution of one of the early class-action lawsuits against the local Housing Authority for excessive rent charges.
Active within his community, Paul Reid chaired the Niagara Falls Human Rights Commission, which planned the desegregation of the city's public schools, and he became a strong advocate of civil and human rights. He also served on the Niagara Falls Planning Board and the Zoning Board of Appeals, and was a trustee of the former St. Paul's United Methodist Church.
Paul Reid, who once remarked that "My prime goal in life was to raise a gang of wonderful kids," saw his goal achieved with the success of his seven children. Through the years he enjoyed travel, including a trip around the world during the Vietnam War era with an ecumenical group to promote peace. And he especially enjoyed camping trips with his family, including many happy summers at Rib Lake in Ontario, Canada, as well as once even making the rounds of some 20 campsites in Europe. In addition, he continued to enjoy singing with his church choir and other local singing groups. With his family, he was fond of creating good food in the kitchen, and among his claims to fame was concocting "the best Old Fashioneds."
Paul H. Reid, Jr., who remained a good friend of the College despite his brief stay on the Hill, died at his home in Niagara Falls on February 3, 2009. In addition to his wife of 60 years, he leaves six daughters, Meredith Sarkees, Emily K'76 (onetime partner in her father's law firm), Pamela, and Sarah Reid, Elizabeth Wonka, and Amy Reid; a son, Steven Reid; and 11 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
Raymond Joseph Carroll, Jr. '48, a free-lance writer on world affairs and a former Newsweek editor, grew up in Brooklyn, NY, where he was born on August 10, 1924. The son of Raymond J., a real estate appraiser and construction estimator, and Margaret McCarthy Carroll, a social worker, Ray Carroll was graduated in 1942 from Boys High School in Brooklyn. He attended Brooklyn College for a year before enlisting in the U.S. Army during World War II. After completing the Army Air Forces' pre-meteorological program on Hamilton's campus, he was assigned to the Pacific theater and stationed on Okinawa.
Following the war's end, Ray Carroll briefly returned to Brooklyn College before deciding to attend Hamilton in the summer of 1946. With transfer credits and summer sessions, he completed his course of study in less than two years and was graduated in 1948. Years later, he fondly recalled Professor of History Edgar B. "Digger" Graves as having encouraged his interest in world affairs and writing, greatly influencing his career.
After graduate work at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, DC, Ray Carroll spent a year at the Department of Defense as a management trainee. He owned and operated a bookstore, Cadmus Books, in Washington from 1952 to 1955, when he moved back to New York City. There he entered the field of journalism with Editors Press Service, writing columns for Asian newspapers. From 1961 to 1980 he wrote and edited for Newsweek magazine, and as its United Nations bureau chief he interviewed many world leaders.
After leaving Newsweek, Ray Carroll became a free-lance writer and contributed numerous articles to Reader's Digest as well as the Foreign Policy Association. He also contributed four books to the Impact series published by Franklin Watts: Anwar Sadat (1982), The Palestine Question (1983), The Caribbean: Issues in U.S. Relations (1984), and The Future of the United Nations (1985). His last book, co-authored with Richard J. Berenson, was The Complete Illustrated Map and Guidebook to Central Park (1999).
Ray Carroll, a longtime resident and habitué of Greenwich Village, spent many happy hours during his early years at the White Horse Tavern among a circle of friends that included the actor Peter Falk '49 and the poet Delmore Schwartz. However, as his son Paul recalled in a memorial tribute published in The Villager, "after years of boozy diplomatic receptions and writers' powwows..., he quit drinking cold turkey more than 25 years ago," but nevertheless "retained a charming capacity to break out into song and quote poetry almost until the end." A regular theater-goer, he would often be seen at Village productions with his companion of 30 years, the anthropologist Helen E. Fisher, whose early best-selling books he helped edit. In general, he enjoyed life in New York City to the fullest, as he reported in the 50th Reunion yearbook of his class.
Raymond J. Carroll, known for his "intelligence, wit, charm and integrity," died at his home on Prince Street on May 16, 2009. In addition to his companion, he is survived by his former wife, Ann Starck Carroll, and their two children, Paul A. Carroll and Suzanne Anderson.
Return to Top
Malcolm Hellman '48, a management consultant and former federal government administrator, was born on July 11, 1925, to Joseph Hellman, a factory foreman, and the former Celia Schindler, in Brooklyn, NY. "Mal" Hellman grew up in Brooklyn, where he was graduated in 1942 from James Madison High School. In 1943, after a year at Louisiana State University, he entered the U.S. Army. He served through the end of World War II and earned the Bronze Star as well as the Purple Heart. In the spring of 1946, he arrived on College Hill and became a member of the Squires Club. He also served the Intramural Council and the staff of radio station WHC, and was assistant manager of the football team. Elected to D.T., he left the Hill with his A.B. degree in 1948. On June 15, two days after his graduation, he and Blossom Malovany, known as "Buzz," were wed in Belle Harbor on Long Island. He had proposed marriage to her one evening at a Squires house party.
Mal Hellman, who majored in history and political science, and had practice-taught at Clinton Central School with a possible career in public school education in mind, went on instead in 1949 to acquire a master's in public administration from New York University. After a year with the New York City Youth Board, he entered federal government service with the Social Security Administration in Baltimore, MD. There he became a management analyst on its central planning staff.
In 1962, Mal Hellman was appointed chief of the administrative management section of the Administration's Bureau of Retirement and Survivors Insurance. Named to the Health Insurance Task Force in 1965, he was chief of the Bureau's management analysis branch in 1967 when promoted to head the administrative management branch of the Bureau of Health Insurance. A year later, he became director of the Social Security Administration's division of management. While residing in Maryland, he engaged in community betterment as president of the Mt. Washington Recreation Association and the Improvement Association, and as vice president of the Northwest Baltimore Corp. He was also administrator for the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation.
Mal Hellman, who retired from government service as management director of the Medicare Bureau in the Department of Health, Education and Welfare's Health Care Financing Administration, served for a time in the late 1970s as an assistant to the chancellor of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. He subsequently established his own business management consulting firm, Mal Hellman Associates. While spending summers in France, he continued with his consulting work until recent years.
Malcolm Hellman, an ever faithful and supportive alumnus, was still residing in Baltimore when he died on November 2, 2008. In addition to his wife of 60 years, he is survived by two sons, Reed H. and Mitchell Hellman.
Return to Top
John Arthur Davis '49, a retired textile chemist, was born on March 9, 1928, a son of Mark L. also a textile chemist, and Agnes Nicol Davis, in Utica, NY. He grew up in nearby New York Mills, where he was graduated in 1945 from New York Mills High School as first in his class of 24. He arrived on College Hill for the summer session that year and later became house manager of Tau Kappa Epsilon, steering that "neophyte household over the shoals with a minimum supply of aspirin," in the words of The Hamiltonian. With a double major in chemistry and music, a highly unusual combination for a student in those days, he was further credited by The Hamiltonian with being "equally capable in the realm of a Beethoven sonata… or the technical composition of a complicated hydrocarbon." A member of the Choir, he chaired the Musical Arts Society in his senior year and earned his diploma in 1949.
John Davis began his career in the Utica area's then still thriving textile industry as a chemist and production control supervisor for the Juilliard Textile Co. in New York Mills. In 1952, after two years with Oneida Bleachery, he found himself in a U.S. Army uniform during the Korean War. He served as a sergeant in the Chemical Corps until 1954. Thereafter he returned to central New York and was employed in various capacities by textile mills, including chief chemist for Cascade Finishing Co. in Oriskany Falls and quality manager for Waterbury Nonwovens in Utica.
Long a resident of Camden, NY, John Davis was a past master of the Free Masons' lodge in Camden. An enthusiastic fisherman, he also derived great pleasure from stamp collecting and gardening, as well as family get-togethers.
John A. Davis, a faithful alumnus, died on March 31, 2009, while hospitalized in Oneida, NY. He is survived by his wife, the former Beverly Jean Painter, whom he had married on September 8, 1951, in Camden. Also surviving are a daughter, Christine Farnsworth; a son, Scott E. Davis; and three grandchildren and his brother, Roger W. Davis '55.
Return to Top
Charles William Reeves '49, a retired telephone company executive and community activist, grew up in New York City, where he was born on April 30, 1919. The son of Arthur E., a construction foreman, and Ruth Olpp Reeves, he was graduated in 1938 from George Washington High School in Manhattan. In 1940, long before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, "Bud" Reeves joined the New York National Guard. He went on active duty with the U.S. Army the following year and, commissioned as an officer, served through the end of World War II. Assigned to the Pacific theater, including New Guinea and the Philippines, he attained the rank of captain by the time of his discharge at the end of 1945.
Bud Reeves, with the benefit of the G.I. Bill, arrived at Hamilton, still in his captain's uniform, in the spring of 1946, at the age of 26. As he later recalled, in a 1966 Class and Charter Day address in the Chapel on "The G.I. Years at Hamilton," he was among the veterans on campus who were "cynical, serious and somewhat scared, and in a hurry" to make up for lost time. With the help of summer sessions, he sped through the College in three years, while at the same time taking a leadership role in campus activities. Married to Ann C. "Robyn" Reeber on December 28, 1946, in New York City, he, with his bride, took up residence in the North Village that had been built on the Hill for the returning veterans. Their eldest son was born while they lived on the Hill.
Bud Reeves, a member of Sigma Phi, took an active role in efforts to address the problems of the North Village, such as leaky roofs and poor drainage. He was also student chairman of the drive that helped convert the Chapel into a war memorial in 1949, and chaired the Honor Court. Tapped for Pentagon, "the elder statesman of the Sig house," in the words of The Hamiltonian, was awarded the James Soper Merrill Prize as the senior who, "in character and influence has best typified the highest ideals of the College" upon his graduation in 1949.
Immediately after graduation, Bud Reeves went to work for New York Telephone Co. as a traffic trainee in Albany. He would remain with the company for 35 years until his retirement. Quickly promoted to traffic superintendent for its Geneva district, he, with his growing family, would make 10 moves during his career. In looking back years later, it seemed to him that he had "majored in telephony and minored in real estate." During those years he held a succession of increasingly responsible positions with New York Telephone, including district plant supervisor in Syracuse and general plant facilities supervisor in Albany. He was later named assistant vice president for operations and general manager for the Northeast area. Among his responsibilities then were communications for the 1980 Olympic Games at Lake Placid. Known as "a tough but fair boss with a strong moral center," a virtue he attributed to the values he had learned at Hamilton, he retired as assistant vice president of personnel in 1984.
During his early retirement years, Bud Reeves was particularly involved with the Telephone Pioneers of America, a national philanthropic and social organization consisting of telephone company employees and retirees. As a vice president, he headed up its New York chapter with its more than 50,000 members. He also engaged in a wide range of community activities throughout his post-college life, and even in retirement, while residing in the Albany suburb of Delmar, he served as president of the Albany Country Club, as a member of the Bethlehem Central School Board, and in various volunteer capacities such as senior-citizen van driver. He had earlier served on the boards of Blue Cross and Blue Shield, the University Foundation at SUNY Albany, the Albany Red Cross chapter, and the Albany Symphony Orchestra, and he had been the first president of the College of St. Rose Board of Associates.
In addition to aiding fund drives for such organizations as the United Way, Salvation Army, and the Albany Medical Center Foundation, Bud Reeves was a Eucharistic minister at St. Thomas the Apostle Church in Delmar and organizer of its hospital visitor program. Earlier, his athletic interests had led him to coach for Little League and serve on the founding board of the Pop Warner Football League in Bethlehem. He was also an enthusiastic tennis player, skier, and golfer, and a past president of the Senior Golfers Association of Eastern New York. He continued to play golf even after the replacement of both his knees in 1999. In spring and summer, when not losing to his wife at Scrabble, he tended the lawns and gardens of his home in Delmar, where he and Robyn had resided for more than 40 years.
Charles W. Reeves, a devoted and highly supportive Hamiltonian despite his lamenting the leftist bias at the College, as he perceived it in recent years, was a longtime class agent and helped organize a number of class reunions. He was a member of the planning committee for this year's 60th Reunion at the time of his death on April 3, 2009, just weeks before his 90th birthday. In addition to his wife of 62 years, he is survived by three sons, David W., Charles W., and Gregory A. Reeves; two daughters, Christine Van Ullen and Janet M. Reeves; and seven grandchildren.
Return to Top