Alumni Review - Summer 2012

Karl Jon Raynor ’80

Karl Jon Raynor ’80, a podiatric physician and surgeon, was born on April 6, 1958, in Alden, NY, east of Buffalo. A son of Frank and Irma Raynor, his father died when he was a teenager, and, following classes and athletic practice at Alden High School, he would hurry home to help his mother run the family grocery store. An outstanding athlete who was captain and most valuable player as well as high school All-American of the baseball, basketball, and football teams, he reflected in his application to Hamilton that his early assumption of family obligations, along with athletic commitments (he also had a paper route on the side) had led him to early maturity and responsibility.

Karl Raynor enrolled at Hamilton in 1976 with a future career in medicine in mind. A member of Delta Upsilon, he majored in biology but also found time to be catcher for the Continentals’ baseball team, and was graduated in 1980. He went on to acquire a D.P.M. degree from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine in 1984 and serve his surgical residency at Highlands Hospital in Denver, CO. In 1986, he and his wife, Sandra Rafner Raynor ’80, both podiatrists and board-certified in foot and ankle surgery, settled in Indianapolis where they founded Podiatry Associates of Indiana and began their practice.

Passionately dedicated to the welfare of his patients, Karl Raynor not only helped create one of the largest podiatric practices in the country but also earned high professional and patient regard throughout the Indianapolis area as a skilled and gently caring physician and surgeon. He was also devoted to his family, and “whether sporting jeans, slacks, lycra, or scrubs,” he radiated “an infectious smile that was seen and felt by everyone around him.” He treasured the time he spent with family and friends, who knew him as always willing to lend a helping hand.

An ardent cyclist, Dr. Raynor found his chief exercise and recreation on the road. He was the co-founder of the Wilkes-Raynor Cycling Group and known to his fellow cyclists as one of the toughest and fastest among them, both mentally and physically, and at the same time “one of the kindest of individuals.” Also a strong advocate for bicycling and bicycle racing, he sponsored two cycling teams, Nebo Ridge and that of Marian University, which won a collegiate national championship.

Karl J. Raynor, a generously supportive alumnus, died in his sleep in Indianapolis on May 21, 2012, after having suffered a massive heart attack some months earlier, from which he had apparently recovered. He was 54 years old. In addition to his wife and his mother, he is survived by a son, Brian D. Raynor, two daughters, Alyson E. ’14 and Stephanie N. Raynor, and two sisters and two brothers.
Return to Top

Randall Owen Isaac ’81

Randall Owen Isaac ’81, a software developer, was born on November 6, 1959, to John R. Isaac, an obstetrician, and Winifred A. Stoker, an organist and violin teacher. “Randy” Isaac grew up in Syracuse, NY, where he was graduated in 1977 from Westhill High School. He came to College Hill that fall and soon engaged in a variety of campus activities. With music as his ­avocation, he was a percussionist who played in the orchestra for musical productions on the Hill. Athletically, he participated in varsity track, played soccer, and captained an intramural volleyball team. In addition, he was business manager of The Spectator in his senior year. Majoring in philosophy, he spent his junior year on a Beaver College program at the University of New South Wales, and achieved election to Phi Beta Kappa. He was graduated magna cum laude and with honors in philosophy in 1981.

Randy Isaac went on to serve in the Peace Corps in Ghana and earn a master’s degree in industrial relations from Cornell University in 1983. Thereafter he moved to San Francisco, CA, and worked in human resources as a systems analyst with the Bank of America for a time. He later became a software engineer, developing software for several Internet companies in the Bay area.

Randall O. Isaac was still residing in California when he died on January 18, 2010, as verified by Social Security records. The College has no information on survivors.
Return to Top

Andrew Fritts Crocker ’83

Andrew Fritts Crocker ’83, engaged in international sales for the Federal Express Corp., was born on September 4, 1961, in Binghamton, NY. The son of David W., an optician, and Margaret Pokey Crocker, he entered Hamilton in 1979 from Binghamton Central High School, where he had been a dedicated member of the soccer and swimming teams. He joined Psi Upsilon and, having concentrated in government, was graduated in 1983.

Andy Crocker’s postgraduate ventures took him from bartending to solar-panel sales and fine cabinetmaking for yachts in California. After a couple of years, he piloted his Harley-Davidson to Vermont, where he settled for good. He became owner and operator of Vermont Air Cargo, a small firm headquartered at the Burlington International Airport that offered to fly cargo from Burlington to “anywhere.” He next moved on to 20 years with FedEX, becoming a worldwide account manager. He cultivated friendships with clients and business associates around the globe, who came to value his diligence and professionalism as well as his courtesy.

Andy Crocker’s best friend of all was his wife, Anna Rainville Crocker, whom he had married in 1997. Together they reared two daughters, to whom Andy was devoted. He skied with them in the Mighty Mite program and was their soccer coach at school. For his family he built a dream house: their summer camp on Lake Carmi.

A sailor and swimmer, Andy Crocker was also accomplished with his hands as a woodworker and boatbuilder. An inveterate tinkerer, he was committed to making things just right. Also willing to confront new challenges and embark on new adventures, he completed a sprint-triathlon last year to celebrate his 50th birthday. In addition, he carried through a desire to see what it was like to be on the stage by acting in a local production of Twelve Angry Jurors.

Andrew F. Crocker, a loyal alumnus and resident of Georgia, VT, north of Burlington, died on March 17, 2012, while undergoing surgery in a Burlington hospital. In addition to his parents and his wife, he is survived by his daughters, Julia M. and Olivia W. Crocker, as well as three sisters.
Return to Top

Michael Andrew Rothenberg ’86

Michael Andrew Rothenberg ’86, executive director of New York Lawyers for the Public Interest and a dedicated community activist, was born in New York City on April 23, 1964. One of three sons of Eleanor Rothenberg, executive director of a nonprofit agency, and Stanley Rothenberg, a copyright attorney, he was a nephew of Allan M. Rothenberg ’56. He grew up in Manhattan and entered Hamilton in 1982 from Stuyvesant High School, where he had captained the basketball and soccer teams. While on the Hill he became a student activist opposed to fraternities and the College’s investments in South Africa during that era of apartheid. He was a leader of the group of students who erected makeshift shelters on campus as part of their campaign for divestment. In later life he observed that, “In many ways, I got my start working on social justice issues as a student at Hamilton.” It was an experience that crystallized his desire to pursue a career in public interest law. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa, he was graduated magna cum laude and with ­honors in philosophy in 1986.

While a law student at New York University, Michael Rothenberg became president of NYU’s Public Interest Law Foundation as well as the National Association for Public Interest Law. After his graduation from NYU’s School of Law in 1991, he served as a litigator in the housing unit of Brooklyn Legal Services and subsequently worked on jury reform at the Vera Institute of Justice. He began his long and fruitful career with New York Lawyers for the Public Interest as an intern in 1996, when it was founded. A year later, he was chosen as its associate director. Named NYLPI’s executive director in 2001, he developed its ties with community-based organizations and increased efforts to draw upon pro-bono assistance from New York City’s legal community. Under his leadership, NYLPI’s budget quadrupled, its staff more than doubled (to 35), and the number of pro bono cases handled increased fivefold.   It became “a powerful engine for helping the disadvantaged,” thanks to his energetic efforts.

Michael Rothenberg frequently found his recreation on the squash courts. An accomplished player, he served as president of the Metropolitan Squash Racquets Association and was on the board of the United States Squash Racquets Association. His seriousness of purpose occasionally lightened by his penchant for puns, he was also an enthusiastic volunteer at the public school in Brooklyn attended by his children.

Michael Rothenberg, a resident of Brooklyn Heights, died tragically on February 23, 2012, in a fall from a roof. He will be remembered as “a man with enormous heart, a compassionate soul and a burning desire to better the lives of others.” Surviving, in addition to his mother and two ­brothers, are his wife, Zerline L. Goodman, also a lawyer, whom he had married on August 12, 1990, and their three children, Brice, Garon, and Zaya Rothenberg.
Return to Top

Lisa Beth Schwartz Lesko ’88

Lisa Beth Schwartz Lesko ’88, born in New York City on February 22, 1966, grew up in New Jersey. A daughter of Roy R., a business executive, and Sharon Schwartz, she entered Hamilton in 1984 from Woodcliff Lake, NJ, following her graduation from Pascack Hills High School. As a high school student, she enthusiastically engaged in competitive swimming and also worked part-time as a swimming coach and instructor. In addition, she participated in cross-country and track.

While on College Hill, Lisa Schwartz joined the Kappa Delta Omega sorority and became active in campus affairs as a member of the freshmen orientation and entertainment planning committees, and as a publication editor for the International Students Association. She was also a varsity swimmer and captained the women’s rugby team. Having majored in government, she was graduated in 1988.

On August 15, 1992, Lisa Schwartz was married to Jason M. Lesko ’88. They had become friends when they were classmates at Hamilton. The couple resided in New York City, where Lisa had initially been employed in marketing and advertising. She subsequently entered the graduate business program at Fordham University and earned her M.B.A. degree in 1993. Thereafter she joined NatWest Bank as assistant vice president and assistant treasurer for ­electronic banking.

From 1996 to 1998, Lisa Lesko was a manager with ­MasterCard International, ­followed by a brief stint with Citigroup as a vice president. In 2002, Lisa and Jason moved to the Catskills and a home they renovated at Bearsville in the Town of Woodstock. Employed by GE Capital, Financial Guarantee Insurance Co., since 1999, Lisa continued to commute two or three times a week to the City, while also working at home. She was a senior marketing manager and ultimately a director of finance before leaving the company for reasons of health in 2008.

Some two years after her marriage, Lisa Lesko had been diagnosed with breast cancer. It was treated aggressively, and for almost five years she was able to continue her normal life. After the cancer reoccurred and metastasized, she again responded well to treatment. Defying the odds against recovery, she set challenging goals for herself and, with determination, achieved them all. More than ever eager for adventure and to explore far-away and exotic places, she was happily joined by Jason in slogging through the Amazon and Costa Rican rain forests, and walking the mountain ranges of Guatemala and even a part of the Alps. They also trekked through Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, and hiked down into the Grand Canyon. At age 40, Lisa ran a second New York City marathon, “just because she could.” As the disease relentlessly progressed, she continued to live her life to the fullest.

Lisa Schwartz Lesko lost her long and heroic battle with cancer on January 16, 2012. She was accompanied to the very end by the loving support of her family and friends. Besides her husband and parents, she is survived by a sister, Meridith Hill; a brother, Greg M. Schwartz ’94; and nieces and nephews.
Return to Top