Enos Staples Benedict '32, who practiced law in his native Brockport, NY, for four decades, was born to Homer B., also an attorney, and Augusta FitzSimons Benedict, on April 5, 1910. Enos Benedict, also known as "Benny" and "Enie," entered Hamilton in 1928 from Brockport High School, following its principal's recommendation that he was "a fine young man in every particular." He joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, played intramural baseball, and managed the football team in his senior year. He also sang for four years in the Choir.
Following his graduation in 1932, Enos Benedict returned to Brockport to become a clerk in his father's law office. He obtained admission to the bar by "reading" the law, and joined his father in practice, forming the firm of Benedict & Benedict. He also succeeded his father as police justice of the Town of Sweden, in which Brockport is located. After his father's death in 1947, he engaged in solo practice.
Married to Doris Otto on July 9, 1938, in Rochester, NY, Enos Benedict continued to serve for many years as police justice. He found relaxation during summers at the family's cottage on Lake Ontario. By the 1970s, he had retired from his law practice and moved to Delray Beach, FL, where, as an ardent golfer, he proudly achieved his fourth hole-in-one in 1990. He was still golfing three times a week, weather permitting, into his 10th decade.
Enos S. Benedict, an ever-faithful alumnus, died in Delray Beach on October 5, 2005, at the age of 95. Predeceased by his wife in 2000, he is survived by a son, Thomas H. Benedict '67, and a daughter, Martha Hunt.
Return to Top
Sidney Simon Glazer, Salutatorian '32, a retired U.S. Government information specialist, was born on August 16, 1911, to Samuel Glazer, a hardware merchant, and the former Gertrude Salzman, in New York City. "Sid" Glazer grew up in Brooklyn, where he was graduated in 1928 from Alexander Hamilton High School. He came to the College that year, joined the local fraternity Decagon, and played intramural baseball and basketball. He also impressively demonstrated his linguistic talents, capturing the Hawley Prizes in both Latin and Greek, the Soper Latin Scholarship, and the Curran Prize in Greek. He also studied Hebrew with Professor Joseph Ibbotson. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa, he received his A.B. degree in 1932 with honors in the two classical languages as well as French.
Switching to Oriental languages (The Hamiltonian alleged that he considered the European languages "too easy"), he pursued graduate studies at Yale University. With the aid of fellowships both in Oriental and advanced Semitic Studies, and specializing in Arabic, he obtained his Ph.D. from Yale in 1937. Married to Rosalind Lieberman in New York City on June 18, 1939, he remained a fellow at Yale until 1940.
In 1942, shortly after Pearl Harbor, Sidney Glazer went to work for U.S. Army Intelligence in Washington, DC. He was employed in the Signal Corps throughout World War II, assigned to the deciphering of Japanese codes. At the war's end in 1945, he joined the newly established Near East Section of the Library of Congress and became its acting chief. Throughout the preceding years, he had continued to pursue linguistic scholarship and had a number of articles published, as well as two books of translations. He also took pleasure in the birth of a daughter and son, Devera E. and Stephen G. Glazer.
In 1948, in anticipation of the outbreak of Arab-Israeli hostilities in the Middle East, the U.S. Department of State decided to begin Voice of America broadcasts to that area. Sidney Glazer was invited to come temporarily to New York City, where the broadcasts were to emanate, to help select personnel and plan the program. Stimulated by excitement over the new project, he decided to leave the Library of Congress when offered a permanent position as a broadcast director. It was the beginning of a long association with the Voice of America and other government information agencies, which concluded with his retirement in 1974. He subsequently did consulting work on Middle Eastern languages and politics.
A longtime resident of Bethesda, MD, Sidney Glazer died on September 1, 2002, at age 90, according to verification recently obtained. The College has no information on survivors.
Return to Top
Harry William Porter '32, former president of the State University of New York College at Fredonia and provost of the State University, was born on September 30, 1910, in Sonyea, NY, south of Rochester. A son of Harry R., a banker, and Jessie Murphy Porter, he grew up in nearby Mt. Morris and was graduated from Mt. Morris High School as class valedictorian. He entered Hamilton in 1928, joined Theta Delta Chi, and lent his voice to the Choir. Elected to DT, he left the Hill with his A.B. degree in 1932.
Harry Porter began his long and distinguished career in education teaching history at Waterloo (NY) High School. In 1941, after three years in a similar post at Ithaca High School, he joined the faculty of what was then the State Teachers College at Oswego. Called to active duty with the U.S. Navy in 1944, he remained in uniform for two years through the end of World War II, never got to sea, and was released with the rank of lieutenant.
In 1946, Harry Porter resumed his teaching career as an assistant professor at the State Teachers College at Brockport. That same year he acquired his Ph.D. in history from Cornell University (he had already earned an M.S. degree in education from Cornell in 1939) and was promoted to associate professor. In 1948, he left for the West Coast when appointed as an associate professor of education at Stanford University, only to return to New York State in 1953, when named president of the then State University College of Education at Fredonia.
Harry Porter's eight-year tenure as president was marked by creativity and innovation that transformed the college into a liberal arts institution. New programs and more challenging courses were introduced, and greater selectivity for admission was put into effect. Placing emphasis on liberal studies, Harry Porter oversaw the formation of a Division of Humanities, and the previously restricted curriculum designed primarily for teacher training was liberalized. By the end of his presidency, enrollment had nearly doubled, and in 1960, Fredonia was authorized by the State University to grant the A.B. degree.
In 1961, Harry Porter left for Albany to fill the newly created position of provost of the State University. He retained that high-ranking position for 12 years, while also serving on various state and regional education committees, councils, and commissions. He retired in 1973 to become executive secretary of the Middle States Association's Commission on Higher Education, in Newark, NJ.
Harry W. Porter retired in 1975, and he and his wife, the former Florence M. Partington, whom he had married on June 28, 1935, in Rochester, moved to Chapel Hill, NC. He was residing in Chapel Hill at the time of his death, on January 17, 2001, at the age of 90. In addition to his wife, it is believed that he was survived by their two sons, Harry W., Jr., and Randall C. Porter.
Return to Top
William Alexander Woodcock '32
William Alexander Woodcock '32, a retired business executive and former trustee of the College, was born on July 3, 1911, to John R., a Presbyterian minister, and Mabel Thompson Woodcock, in State College, PA. His mother was a graduate of Pennsylvania State College (now University), the only woman in its Class of 1899. Bill Woodcock grew up in Syracuse, NY, where he was graduated in 1928 from Nottingham High School. He entered Hamilton that fall, joined Psi Upsilon, and went out for intramural hockey, which he played for four years. In his senior year he was manager of the varsity hockey team, and also found time to serve on the Honor Court and as managing editor of the freshman handbook. He compiled an excellent academic record, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and received honors in chemistry upon his graduation in 1932.
Bill Woodcock began the first phase of his working life as an educator, teaching science at the newly founded Millbrook School for Boys in Dutchess County, NY. Although he enjoyed teaching, a desire "to find out firsthand what business was like" prompted him in 1936 to leave the classroom and embark on a 27-year career with Union Carbide Chemical Co. in New York City. With his wife, the former Marian W. Johnson, whom he had wed on April 24, 1937, in Syracuse, he took up residence in Huntington on Long Island.
Employed by Union Carbide in sales, Bill Woodcock was promoted to director of product marketing, and in 1959 he was appointed vice president and general sales manager of Union Carbide's international division. Although the new position involved extensive travel, he found the work stimulating as well as challenging. However, by 1963, ever seeking new challenges, he decided to assist a small start-up company in which he and his wife had a financial interest.
A manufacturer of instruments and precision parts for the space program, the Kinemotive Corp. in Farmingdale on Long Island "was loaded with engineering brains but short on selling experience." As president and chief executive officer, Bill Woodcock filled that gap, helping to build up and expand the company. When Kinemotive was sold in 1968, he turned to another venture. He formed his own company, Woodcock International, Inc., a consulting firm focusing on industrial plant locations on both sides of the Atlantic.
Bill Woodcock, who continued active in the consulting field until his 80s, enjoyed sailing in and around Long Island Sound. He was also a regular golfer at the Huntington Country Club and, despite failing eyesight, played a good game into his 90s, earning the nickname "Tiger Woodcock." In addition, he was a highly accomplished woodworker whose finely crafted furniture once gained for him an extensive writeup in Fortune magazine.
A faithful and generous supporter of Hamilton, Bill Woodcock served as an alumni trustee from 1962 to 1968. He was also president of his class and organized its 50th Reunion. Through the years he continued a close relationship with the Millbrook School as a trustee. His other community activities included service on the boards of Huntington Hospital, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories, and the Heckscher Museum of Art in Huntington.
In 1966, a year after the death of his wife Marian, Bill Woodcock was wed to Lenore Caldwell Ware, known as "Fluff." The couple resided in Huntington until 1996, when they moved to Towson, MD. William A Woodcock died at his home in Towson on September 12, 2005, at the age of 94. In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons from his first marriage, John A. and William J. Woodcock; a stepdaughter, Merrill Carrington; and three grandchildren, two step-grandchildren, and a great-grandson.
Return to Top
James Taylor Heyl '33, a physician and former medical director at Phillips Exeter Academy, was born on February 21, 1912, in Chicago, IL. The third of four sons of Ernst O. Heyl, Class of 1899, a business executive and onetime alumni trustee, and the former Charlotte E. Taylor, he was a nephew of James H. and Stephen L. Taylor, both 1888, and Louis Heyl '04. Jim Heyl prepared for college at the Hotchkiss School in Connecticut and came up the Hill in 1929 from Clinton. He joined the Heyl family's fraternity, Alpha Delta Phi, and soon became "omnipresent on the campus, tall, vibrant, and joyous," as remembered by his classmate and friend, Henry H. Work.
Both an athlete and leader in student government, Jim Heyl lettered in football and hockey, and served on the Honor Court, Executive Council, and Upperclassman Council, in addition to being class president. Elected to all four class honorary societies, Quadrangle, DT, Was Los, and Pentagon, he also excelled academically, won the Truax Greek Scholarship, and was graduated Phi Beta Kappa and with honors in biology in 1933.
Jim Heyl went on to Harvard Medical School, where he obtained his M.D. degree in 1937. After an internship in internal medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, he pursued his interest in clinical investigation through instructorships in the department of pharmacology at the University of Pennsylvania. In 1941, following a year as a volunteer at an American-established hospital in England during the "Battle of Britain," he was back at Harvard as a research fellow at the Medical School.
In 1943, Dr. Heyl went on active duty with the U.S. Navy as an officer in the Medical Corps. Besides working in mobile hospitals in the South Pacific during World War II, he saw sea duty aboard the hospital ship U.S.S. Pinkney. Released by the Navy as a lieutenant after the war's end in 1946, he returned to Harvard Medical School for a year as an instructor in bacteriology.
On September 7, 1946, Jim Heyl was married to Nancy Spencer in Houston, TX. The following year, the couple settled in Exeter, NH, where Dr. Heyl had been invited to join a new experiment in group practice. To support his family in the meantime, he accepted an appointment as school doctor and medical director at Phillips Exeter Academy. He would remain in that post for 28 years. In addition to providing medical care for students and running the Academy's Lamont Infirmary, he took the lead in introducing psychology and psychiatry as an integral part of the health care program at the boarding school, having recognized that problems of adolescence, especially during the "druggy" '60s, called for that approach.
In 1975, realizing that he was "underfinanced" at the age of 63, Jim Heyl left Phillips Exeter and shifted to full-time practice as an internist with the Exeter Clinic. In 1987, after several years of solo practice, he retired at the age of 75, and in 1994, he and Nancy moved from their farm in Newfields, NH, to a retirement community in Exeter.
Fond of the land and nature throughout his life, Jim Heyl took particular pleasure in camping and fishing with his children, as well as canoeing, sailing, and skiing with family and friends. He was especially fond of the Damariscotta River region of Maine, where he and Nancy had as summer home. In retirement, he enjoyed participating in literary groups and listening to choral music, an affection he had developed as a member of the Choir at Hamilton.
James T. Heyl died on October 16, 2005, at his home in Exeter at age 93, with his wife of 59 years at his side. He is also survived by three sons, Peter S., John T. '76, and Timothy A. Heyl, and a daughter, Hilary A. Heyl. He was predeceased by his brothers Henry L. '28, in 1975, and Hamilton "Tony" Heyl '39, in 1998.
Return to Top
John MacKay Cairns, Jr. '35, a retired embryologist and cancer researcher, was born on December 3, 1912, to John M., a civil engineer, and Ida May Parsons Cairns, in Scranton, PA. John Cairns grew up in Scranton, where he attended Central High School, and entered Hamilton in 1931. He focused on his studies, earned the Renwick Scholarship in Biology, and was graduated Phi Beta Kappa and with honors in biology and mathematics in 1935.
With the assistance of Professor Walter Hess, John Cairns was admitted to graduate study in biology at the University of Rochester. After receiving his M.S. degree in 1937, he went on to Washington University in St. Louis, where he acquired his Ph.D. in embryology in 1941. After a year as an instructor at the University, he was drafted into the U.S. Army and commissioned as an officer in the Corps of Engineers. His tours of duty during World War II encompassed North Africa, Italy, France, and Germany, and included participation in the Allied landings at Anzio.
Released as a captain after the war's end, John Cairns returned to academic life in 1946 as an instructor at the University of Texas. Promoted to assistant professor of biology and embryology in 1948, he moved on in 1952 to the University of Oklahoma Medical School as an assistant professor of histology and embryology. In 1956, he left academe for a year to work as an engineer on an inertial guidance system for Bell Aircraft Corp., in Buffalo, NY. Thereafter, Dr. Cairns returned to basic biological research at Roswell Park Memorial Institute in Buffalo. He continued in the field of cancer research at the Institute's Springville Laboratory until his retirement as associate cancer research scientist in 1980.
While residing on a farm in Springville, southwest of Buffalo, John Cairns took to the rural life, operating a tractor and chain saw on his 20 acres, tapping maple trees, and growing vegetables and fruit. With his wife, the former M. Dorothy Maines, whom he had wed in June 1948, in Hartford, CT, he saw their four children grow up on the farm. On vacation, he and Dorothy enjoyed snorkeling in the warm waters of the Caribbean.
In 1998, the Cairnses moved to Wyomissing, PA, west of Reading, to be near their daughter Lucy and her family. He was residing in Reading when he died on August 5, 2005, at the age of 92. In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, Andrew M. and James A. Cairns; two daughters, Lucy J. Wiley and Sarah J. Cairns; and numerous grandchildren.
Return to Top
Byron Arthur Johnson, Jr. '36, a former president of the Alumni Association and long a prominent attorney and community leader in his native Rochester, NY, was born on June 17, 1915. A son of Byron A., also an attorney, and Marjorie Gardner Johnson, he came to College Hill in 1932 from Brighton High School in Rochester and joined Delta Kappa Epsilon. He played soccer and earned letters in fencing.
Following his graduation in 1936, Byron Johnson entered the Yale School of Law, where he acquired his LL.B. degree in 1939. On the side, he also took courses at Harvard University's School of Business Administration. In 1940, he joined his father in the practice of law in Rochester, forming the firm of Johnson & Johnson. On June 7, 1941, he and Cynthia M. Hogle were married in suburban Pittsford. A month later, and five months before Pearl Harbor, Byron Johnson went on active duty with the U.S. Navy, a tour that was to last for more than four years through the end of World War II. While in uniform he was assigned as Navy counsel to the Army-Navy Munitions Board in Washington, DC, in addition to sea duty on both the Atlantic and the Pacific.
Released from the Navy as a lieutenant commander at the end of 1945, Byron Johnson returned to his hometown and resumed his law practice, initially as a partner in the firm of Moser, Johnson & Reif. He also became engaged in community affairs as president of the Rochester City Club and the Chamber of Commerce. President of the Otetiana Council of the Boy Scouts of America as well, he was a longtime trustee and secretary of the Rochester Institute of Technology and member of its executive committee. In addition, he was founding president of the First National Bank of Rochester and a trustee of Monroe County Savings Bank.
In 1957, Byron Johnson, who had long served as a legal counsel to E.W. Edwards & Son, the Rochester department store, took over its general management. Appointed vice president and a director of the company, he managed it for four years, overseeing its considerable business growth and expansion into the suburbs. Throughout his career he devoted time and energy to "seven-day-a-week" efforts aimed at enhancing Rochester's economic prosperity. Thanks to his efforts within the business and financial fields, as well as his contributions as a member of RIT's board, of which he was particularly proud, he served his native city well.
Byron Johnson, who had also served his alma mater as president of the Alumni Association (1961-62), continued to practice law well into his ninth decade, most recently as senior partner in the firm of Johnson, Mullan & Brundage. During winters he generally "hid from the snow" in the Bahamas or other places south, while his summers were spent on an island in the St. Lawrence.
Byron A. Johnson died on July 3, 2005, at the age of 90. He is survived by his wife, the former Jane Hartwell, whom he, as a divorcé, had married in 1973. Also surviving are a daughter and son by his first marriage, Cynthia Goulard and Winthrop D. Johnson; a stepson, Todd Hummel; and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren, as well as two brothers. He was predeceased by his elder son, Byron A. Johnson III, in 1984.
Return to Top
Hiram John Evans '37, a biologist who concluded his career as a college administrator, was born on May 13, 1916, in Granville, NY, bordering on Vermont. His parents were David J., a banker who died when "Hi" was 15 years old, and Hazel Manchester Evans. With recommendation from the principal of Granville High School that "Hiram Evans will make a very desirable college student," he was admitted to Hamilton in 1933. He went out for fencing, served on the staff of Hamilton Life, and became president of the Biology Club. A recipient of the Holbrook and Renwick prizes in biology, he was graduated with honors in that field in 1937.
After leaving the Hill, Hi Evans pursued graduate study in biology at Williams College, where he earned an A.M. degree in 1939. He next enrolled in the Ph.D. program at Harvard University, which awarded him his doctorate in biology in 1942. That year, with World War II raging and "Uncle Sam hot on my trail," he entered the U.S. Army Air Corps as a second lieutenant and was assigned to its aviation physiology program. Stationed in the Pacific, ranging from New Guinea and the Philippines to Okinawa and Japan, he remained in uniform until 1946, when he was discharged as a major.
Thanks in part to the impact of the G.I. Bill, colleges were then in need to expand their faculties, and Hi Evans quickly found employment, first at Swarthmore College and subsequently, in 1947, as an assistant professor of zoology at Syracuse University. Promoted to associate professor, he remained at Syracuse as vice chairman of the zoology department until 1964. In 1965, after a not particularly happy year at New College in Sarasota, FL, he welcomed the opportunity to return to the snow belt as professor of biology and dean of Curry College in Milton, MA. In 1973, he took on the added responsibility of vice president for research and planning. Dr. Evans, who specialized in embryology and served from 1950 to 1965 as secretary to the board of trustees of Biological Abstracts, retired from Curry in 1979.
That year, Hi Evans and his wife, the former Jean M. Buckland, who were married on August 7, 1944, in Schenectady, NY, took up full-time residence in Pawlet, VT, near Granville. There they renovated the home of Hi's maternal grandparents, where they had for years spent their summers, and made it their retirement home. Hi Evans became involved in the life of the small town, serving as justice of the peace, election inspector, and Democratic town committeeman. He also became active in the Pawlet Historical Society.
A self-confessed "poor athlete," who obtained his exercise "by walking to the post office and general store, taking care of the lawn, and shoveling snow," Hi Evans found pleasure in reading as well as travel, especially to visit his children and grandchildren. In addition, he enjoyed collecting clocks, and for many years had dozens of them chiming simultaneously in his home. Proud of his Welsh heritage (at age 80 he undertook the study of the Welsh language), he was also quite familiar with the lore of the locality and loved to share his stories of Pawlet and Granville. Gregarious and good-humored, and gifted with a large repertoire of songs, he provided delightful companionship to family and friends.
Hiram J. Evans, a faithful alumnus, died at his home in Pawlet on December 19, 2005, of kidney failure, in his 90th year. In addition to his wife of 61 years, he is survived by three daughters, Susan McDougall and Rebecca A. and Anne B. Evans, and eight grandchildren.
Return to Top
John William Polley '37, a retired state official and authority on the funding of public education, was born on December 22, 1914, to George Polley, a milk dealer, and the former Mary L. Laing, in Andes, NY. He grew up in that Catskill community, where he was graduated in 1933 as valedictorian of a class of seven from Hilton Memorial High School. John Polley, known as "Poll," and a self-described "country lad," entered the College that year, joined Theta Delta Chi, and became manager of the hockey team. He also distinguished himself academically, majoring in history and French. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa, he received honors in history upon his graduation in 1937.
The following year, John Polley joined the faculty of Roxbury (NY) Central School as an English instructor. In 1943, he left to go on active duty with the U.S. Navy. Commissioned as an ensign, he served in the Pacific theater and was released from the Navy as a lieutenant (j.g.) at the end of World War II in 1945. After his return to Roxbury Central, he was appointed acting principal and, subsequently, supervising principal.
In 1948, John Polley enrolled at Columbia University's Teachers College to pursue graduate studies. He acquired his Ed.D. in 1951 and was appointed that year to the faculty of the Teachers College. Besides teaching, he did considerable educational research, and from 1961 to 1963 he headed the team in Kabul that, under Agency for International Development contract, helped further teacher education in Afghanistan. He retained delightful memories of that two-year experience "working with the Afghans, a proud and independent people."
John Polley taught public school finance and demonstrated his expertise in that field as the author or coauthor of numerous articles in education journals, as well as handbooks, pamphlets, and a textbook. He left Teachers College as a full professor in 1965 to accept the post of director of the Division of Educational Finance in the New York State Education Department. Promoted to assistant commissioner for educational finance and management services in 1969, he became associate commissioner for planning, research, and education in 1973. He retired in 1977 as deputy commissioner for elementary and secondary education.
In 1980, John Polley and his wife, the former Jean Cole, whom he had wed on July 10, 1940, in Kenyon, MN, moved from the Albany suburb of Delmar to Whispering Pines, NC. There, he enjoyed gardening and golf. A few years ago, the Polleys again moved, to a retirement community in Southern Pines, NC, where they continued, in John's words, "to stagger around a golf course and sit at a bridge table."
John W. Polley, a devoted alumnus, died in Southern Pines on July 26, 2005, at the age of 90. In addition to his wife of 65 years, he is survived by a daughter, Linda Polley Miller, and two grandchildren.
Return to Top
Vincent de Lalla, Jr. '38, a cardiologist who practiced internal medicine in his native Utica, NY, for more than a half-century, was born on June 2, 1918. The younger son of Vincent and Antonetta Perillo de Lalla, he grew up in what was then the Italian section of East Utica, where his father owned and operated a pharmacy on Bleecker Street. Young Vincent spent much time around the pharmacy, which inspired him at an early age to contemplate a career in medicine. He came up College Hill from Utica Free Academy in 1934 and diligently undertook premedical studies, leaving additional time only for varsity fencing and occasionally playing the piano as a self-taught musician.
After receiving his B.S. degree in 1938, Vincent de Lalla went to New York City and enrolled at Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons. During his senior year in medical school he was commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Army Medical Corps. In 1943, having interned at Syracuse University Medical Center and obtained his M.D. degree, he went on active duty with the Army. Assigned as a battalion surgeon to the 43rd Infantry Division in the Pacific theater, he was stationed with combat units in the World War II campaigns for New Guinea and the Philippines. On October 6, 1945, while back in the States, he was wed to Mary Jane McCormick in Syracuse, NY.
Discharged from the Army as a captain in 1946, Dr. de Lalla received postgraduate training in cardiology and internal medicine at the University of Rochester, where he served his residency at Strong Memorial Hospital. He returned to his hometown of Utica in 1950 and there established his practice. He also began a long association with St. Elizabeth's Hospital, serving as its chief of medicine as well as teaching in its School of Nursing and family practice residency program. Admired and respected for his administrative skills, he also served as president of St. Elizabeth's medical staff and director of its coronary care and intensive care units. Among his enduring contributions were his wise mentoring of generations of physicians and nurses, and his undertakings to improve and advance cardiac care in the Utica area.
However, Dr. de Lalla's foremost priority was always his patients. His dedication to their welfare was on a 24-hour basis, seven days a week. In what spare time he had, he enjoyed playing the piano and such outdoor activities as golf, tennis, and camping. Card-playing was also one of his pleasures, and especially gin rummy.
Vincent de Lalla, Jr., a former president of the Oneida County Medical Society and founding member of the Mohawk Valley Society of Internal Medicine, retired in 2002, at the age of 84. He died on December 5, 2005, leaving his wife of 61 years. Also surviving are three daughters, Barbara Ann de Lalla-Hoffman K'76, and Antoinette E. and Kathleen S. de Lalla; two sons, James E. and David R. de Lalla; and two grandsons. He was predeceased by his brother, Emanuel de Lalla '26, in 1989.
Return to Top
Arthur Alanson Batts, Jr. '39, a retired real estate agent and former advertising and public relations manager, was born on December 23, 1917, in Niagara Falls, NY. His parents were Arthur A., a corporation executive, and Mabel Bradley Batts. Recommended by its principal as "a splendid candidate," Art Batts was admitted to Hamilton from Niagara Falls High School in 1935. He joined ELS, participated actively in debate, and assisted in the management of student publications. Elected a member of the journalism honorary Pi Delta Epsilon, he left the Hill with his B.S. degree in 1939.
Art Batts went on to the Harvard Business School, where he earned an M.B.A. in 1941. However, he no sooner went to work for the Carborundum Co. in his hometown when World War II intervened. He served for four years in the U.S. Army's Quartermaster Corps, and his final assignment as a first lieutenant at the war's end was, as he wryly recalled later, "guarding the Army base in South Boston from Nazi attack."
Married on June 3, 1943, to Jane Benson in Niagara Falls, Art Batts returned to Carborundum as the steel manufacturer's director of commercial research. In 1954, he and his family moved to Schenectady, NY, where Art became director of market research for the American Locomotive Co. (later, Alco Products, Inc.). He soon took on the additional title of director of advertising, and in 1958 he was promoted to director of advertising, public relations, and market research.
In 1967, Art Batts, having fallen victim to a corporate takeover, decided on a move to the picturesque village of Chatham on Cape Cod, where he took a flyer on a new line of work. While his wife Jane operated a craft shop, "The Belfry," there, Art went into real estate. Beginning as a representative of Harold J. Moye & Associates, he subsequently engaged in sales and development with Sea-Lake Corp. of Sandwich, and most recently was associated with Rochette Reality in Chatham. He retired in 2000, at the age of 82.
Active in the community, Art Batts served as executive secretary of the Chatham Chamber of Commerce and was on the board of administration of the Old Sea Pines School for Girls in Brewster. Above all, he was drawn to local amateur theater and became an avid thespian with the Chatham Drama Guild, best known for his leading role in Harvey. Known as well for his quick wit and gentle humor, he also enjoyed golf and sailing, but arts and crafts, particularly photography and scrimshaw, took on increasing importance toward the end of his life.
Arthur A. Batts, Jr. died on October 18, 2005, in Chatham. In addition to his wife of 62 years, he is survived by two daughters, Carol McCandless and Amy Gregory, and three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by a son, James, who lost his life in a drowning accident at the age of 16.
Return to Top