Francis Cleveland Beakes '40, a retired colonel in the U.S. Army Medical Service Corps and the youngest of three brothers to attend Hamilton, was born on January 12, 1917, in Newburgh, NY. His parents were (Charles) Henry C. Beakes, owner and operator of a wholesale milk business in New York City, and the former Louise Cleveland. "Fran" Beakes grew up in Hackensack, NJ, and entered Hamilton in 1936, after graduating from Hackensack High School and a year of preparation at Stanton Academy in Cornwall-on-Hudson. He joined his brothers' fraternity, Chi Psi, and was elected as its president as a sophomore, which was without precedent. Described by The Hamiltonian as "a debonair diplomat who carries with him an air of undefeated and undaunted dignity," he served as president of the Chi Psi lodge for three years, also unprecedented. In addition, he was president of the Interfraternity Council in his senior year, a member of the Winter Carnival executive committee, and active in the Outing and Ski Clubs.
After receiving his B.S. degree in 1940, Fran Beakes bided his time, awaiting the inevitable "Greetings" from his local draft board. It arrived in late 1942. Already married (on January 10, 1942, to Eleanor L. Eagle, sister of his classmate, Henry Eagle, Jr., in New York City) and a father, he went on active duty as an Army private but was soon commissioned as an officer. Posted to Britain and France with the Army's Medical Administrative Corps, he remained in uniform through the end of World War II and was released in 1946 as a first lieutenant.
In 1952, after six years of corporate employment, including work for the Continental Paper Co. of New Jersey, Fran Beakes was recalled by the Army during the Korean conflict. He soon decided to stay on and make a career out of military service. Through the next 22 years until his retirement, he was posted to a variety of places, including Japan, Okinawa, and Hawaii, as well as Stateside. Commissioned as a captain in the Regular Army in 1958, he served for four years with the procurement branch of the Surgeon General's Office in Washington, DC, and was later chief of the personnel division of the Surgeon's Office, First Army. He also acquired a number of awards, including the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star, and the Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster.
Col. Beakes' last assignment took him to Madigan Army Center at Fort Lewis, WA. He and Eleanor promptly fell in love with the Northwest, and when he retired following a heart attack in 1974, they took up residence in Olympia, WA. There, when not playing rounds of golf almost daily (his hobbies were said to be "golf and more golf") Fran Beakes enjoyed the view of Mt. Rainer from his 15 acres.
Francis C. Beakes, ever constant in his loyalty to Hamilton, died in Olympia on November 20, 2005. Predeceased by his wife, he is survived by two sons, Francis C., Jr. and David C. Beakes, and seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. Predeceasing him were his brothers, Charles Henry C. Beakes '35, in 1957, and Ordine C. Beakes '36, in 1999.
Return to Top
Robert Lawrence Lewis '40, a Cleveland, OH, lawyer, community activist, and leader in education, was born on September 25, 1919, in New York City. When he was 5 years old, his parents, Isador and Sadie Holzinger Lewis, put Bob and his older brother Stanley on the Eastern vaudeville circuit to tour as "The Sunshine Happiness Boys." The "kid act" on the bill, which was shared with such legends as Fanny Brice and the Marx Brothers, they continued to trod the boards until a truant officer apprehended "Little Bobby Lewis," and saw to it that he began, at the age of 11, his formal education as a first grader. He soon caught up with his peers, was graduated from Baldwin High School on Long Island, and entered Hamilton in 1936, just short of his 17th birthday. On the Hill he played the bass drum in the College Band, ran track, and thought up the idea for the Squires Club, which he helped organize, and became its first president in 1939.
On November 24, 1940, not long after his graduation, Bob Lewis was married to Frieda R. Friedman, in Cleveland. Within two years, he was a U.S. Army enlistee during World War II. As a staff sergeant with an ordnance company, he served in the Mediterranean theater and participated in the invasion of Italy, including the Salerno and Anzio campaigns. Awarded a field commission as a lieutenant, he received the Legion of Merit as well as the Purple Heart.
Released from the Army in 1946, Bob Lewis settled in his wife's hometown of Cleveland, where he enrolled in law school at Western Reserve University. After acquiring his LL.B. degree 1948, he joined the firm of Ulmer & Berne. He would remain with the firm throughout his professional career, and was its managing partner when he retired after 47 years in 1995. For a decade beginning in 1949, he also taught night courses in contract and corporation law at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law and served for a time as its director of graduate studies.
In the early 1960s, Bob Lewis made a signal contribution to the advancement of education in the Cleveland area by playing a major role in the planning and launching of Cuyahoga Community College. Appointed as the first president of its board in 1962, he acted on his passionate belief in the right of every person to have educational opportunities. He remained committed to the success of the college, which had its beginning in an abandoned schoolhouse in downtown Cleveland in 1963, and sat on its board for 18 years. He also inspired its honors program and, as scholar-in-residence, taught mythology and ethics at the college in later years. Today, "Tri-C" is not only Ohio's oldest but also its largest community college, with 55,000 students on three campuses and many off-campus sites.
Bob Lewis, a past president of the Association of Governing Boards of Colleges and Universities, also served as an adjunct professor and director of the trusteeship initiative at Case Western Reserve's Mandel Center for Nonprofit Organizations, which named him "Professor of the Year." Having gained recognition as an authority on the effective management of nonprofit organizations, including educational institutions, he did national consulting in the field and was the author of a book on the subject, published in 2001.
Bob Lewis readily mobilized an abundance of energy on behalf of community causes in which he believed, and his volunteer activities included the presidency of PACE, a citizens organization dedicated to the goal of innovation in Cuyahoga County's primary and secondary schools. His interest in community theater and the arts was reflected in his activities as president of the Fairmont Center for Creative and Performing Arts, as a founding trustee of the Cleveland Area Arts Council, and as a member of the board of such organizations as the Playhouse Square Foundation and the Cleveland Opera Co.
Bob Lewis, short in stature, wry of wit, and ever willing to get involved, would on occasion join the cast of a community musical, play bass in a jazz combo, or even relive his boyhood by singing (badly, he admitted) at a vaudeville revival. In retirement, he continued his consulting, teaching, and lecturing as well as his scholarly pursuit of the Greek classics. He enjoyed traveling and was especially drawn to the ancient archaeological sites in Greece.
Robert L. Lewis, a resident of Cleveland Heights, died on August 3, 2005. Predeceased by his first wife in 1962, he is survived by his second wife, the former Joanne Waxman, whom he had wed in 1963. Also surviving are three sons by his first marriage, Brian S. '70, Paul E., and David N. Lewis; two daughters by his second, Pavia and Clea Lewis; and nine grandchildren.
Return to Top
Wesley Donald Sprague '40, who devoted most of his working life to serving the needs and advancing the welfare of the visually impaired, was born on February 9, 1919, in Verona, NY. A son of George C., a carpenter and builder, and Mary Elizabeth Wells Sprague, he came to Hamilton in 1936 from Rome, NY, as a graduate of Rome Free Academy. Following his brother, Gilbert G. Sprague '37, "Wes" Sprague joined Alpha Delta Phi. He played hockey and excelled in soccer, serving as captain of the varsity team for two years. He was also a charter member, secretary, and treasurer of the Student Council in his senior year. Elected to Pentagon and hailed by The Hamiltonian for his "industry, conservatism, and level-headedness," he left the Hill with his A.B. degree in 1940.
Wes Sprague enjoyed teaching science for a year at Gorham (NY) Central School before a letter of "Greetings" from his local draft board prompted his entry into the U.S. Army Signal Corps. Married to Betty L. Hoffman on May 2, 1942, in Stanley, NY, he remained in uniform throughout World War II, serving for almost five years until his discharge in 1946 as a captain.
While pursuing graduate studies in hospital administration at Columbia University's School of Public Health, Wes Sprague entered the health and human services field as an administrative intern at Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Massachusetts. Named assistant director of the hospital in 1948, the year he acquired his M.S. degree from Columbia, he retained that post until 1952, when he was appointed administrator of Brockton Hospital. Five years later, he became associate executive director of New England Deaconess Hospital in Boston.
In 1963, Wes Sprague left the Boston area after 16 years to take on new challenges as executive director of the New York Association for the Blind (the Lighthouse) in New York City. An agency for the blind and visually impaired, it would be the sphere and center of his commitment for 21 years. During those years he set high standards in providing more and better service, and the Lighthouse gained national recognition as a model for a comprehensive rehabilitation agency serving the blind. By the conclusion of his tenure, it was the largest and most innovative as well as most prestigious agency of its kind in the country.
Wes Sprague also became extensively involved in national and even international agencies dedicated to improving the lives and independence of those with impaired eyesight. He was a longtime member of the board of the Helen Keller International Foundation, the National Industries for the Blind, and the American Association of Workers for the Blind. A charter member of the board of the Commission on Standards for Accreditation (of agencies and schools for the blind), he served on its National Accreditation Council and chaired the Council's commission on standards. In 1997, in recognition of his many and exemplary contributions, he received the R.B. Irvin Award from the National Industries for the Blind.
Although Wes Sprague retired from the Lighthouse in 1984, he continued active as a consultant, often on a volunteer basis. For a decade beginning in 1990, he traveled widely on behalf of the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, monitoring and evaluating its multimillion dollar grants to the Perkins School for the Blind, which provides funds for services benefiting people not only in the U.S. but throughout the world. Residing in retirement on Cape Cod, he also volunteered his time to local human services efforts and chaired the administrative board of his church, United Methodist, in Osterville. Leisure time he devoted to gardening and "less strenuous sports" such as fishing, golf, and bowling.
Long ill, Wesley D. Sprague died at his home in Marstons Mills on Cape Cod on November 23, 2005. He is survived by his wife, the former Loretta M. Blass, whom he had wed in 1978. Also surviving are two sons and a daughter from his first marriage, Gary W. and Dale W. Sprague, and Carolyn J. Kracke, as well as five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by his brother, Gilbert, in 1951.
Return to Top
Frederick Peterson Jessup '41, a retired Foreign Service officer and staff member of the National Security Council, who later became a specialist in oral history, was born on July 15, 1920, in New York City. The son of Theodore C. '14 and Frederika Peterson Jessup, and a nephew of H. Herbert '13, John B. '15, and Philip C. Jessup '18, he was a direct descendant of John Jessup, the Puritan founder of Stamford, CT, and Southampton, NY. Frederick, known to friends as Peter, prepared for college at the Ridgefield School in Connecticut, where his father had been headmaster, and came to Hamilton in 1937. He joined the family's fraternity, Sigma Phi, lettered in tennis, and wrote a column for the humor magazine Royal Gaboon. A member of the Intramural Council, he was elected to Quadrangle and DT.
After securing his B.S. degree in 1941, Peter Jessup went to New York City and his first job as a copy boy at the New York Daily News. Within a year, however, following the attack on Pearl Harbor, he was on active duty with the U.S. Navy. Commissioned as an ensign in the Naval Air Corps, he served for over four years through the end of World War II as an air combat intelligence officer. His assignments encompassed the European, Mediterranean, and Pacific theaters, and he attained the rank of lieutenant commander.
Peter Jessup returned to civilian life in 1946. Finding little interest in his kind of naval experience on the part of prospective employers, he worked as a film and theater publicist and magazine editor before taking on an assignment for the psychological warfare branch of the U.S. Army, editing the magazine Neue Auslese as part of the reeducation program in postwar Germany. While in Germany, he met Muriel "China" Franceschina, a photo editor for Look magazine. They were married in Minneapolis, MN, on July 30, 1949.
That year, Peter Jessup joined the Central Intelligence Agency, which was then expanding as the Cold War intensified. Attached to the Foreign Service as an information officer, he served for five years in Germany as a staff officer with the U.S. High Commission. He subsequently served as a political officer at the U.S. Consulate in Geneva, Switzerland, and was twice posted as chief of station to the U.S. Embassy in Israel. During the Johnson administration he served for six years, beginning in 1963, on the staff of the National Security Council.
After his retirement in 1978, Peter Jessup embarked upon an ambitious project in a new field: that of oral history. For scholarly purposes, he taped memoirs via interviews with prominent public figures, and later transcribed them for various universities, including Columbia and Boston, as well as the Association of Diplomatic Studies. Among those interviewed was his uncle Philip, ambassador-at-large, World Court judge, and a leading authority on international law. The result of Peter Jessup's efforts was 40 book-length memoirs, rich material for future scholars.
Peter Jessup remained an enthusiastic tennis player throughout his life. The winner of numerous amateur tournaments, he was also a local tournament organizer. He was a passionate theater devotee as well, and served on the board of the Studio Theatre in Washington. With boundless interest in a vast range of subjects, he assembled an extensive library and rare book collection encompassing everything from the theater to the Middle East and the Spanish Civil War. In addition, he was a 10-year volunteer reader for Metropolitan Washington Ear, a news service for the blind.
Above all, Peter Jessup was a family man who took great pleasure in the family's annual summer and Christmas gatherings in the Adirondacks. Gifted with a great sense of humor and "a marvelous inventor of nonsense names," he impressed friends and family alike with his questing mind and his reaching out to encourage other people's interests and enthusiasms.
Frederick Peterson Jessup died on September 25, 2005, at his home in Chevy Chase, MD, of cancer. In addition to his wife of 56 years, he is survived by three daughters, Alexandra Altman K'74, Francesca Jessup, and Kristin Moore; a son, Theodore C. Jessup '82; and five grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
A(braham) David Millner '41, a retired transportation attorney and consultant, was born on July 2, 1920, in Chicago, IL. The son of Isaac A. and Hermina Gross Millner, he moved with his family to Staten Island, NY, at the age of 5 when his father became rabbi of Temple Emanu-El in Port Richmond. Dave Millner grew up on Staten Island, was graduated from Port Richmond High School, and came to College Hill in 1937. A member of the Squires Club, he engaged in a variety of extracurricular activities when not busily employed in Commons. Active in the Musical Arts Society and involved with Hamilton Life as well as The Hamiltonian, he also made a name for himself in sports, lettering in football, fencing, and track. Elected to the journalism honorary Pi Delta Epsilon, he received his B.S. degree with honors in history in 1941.
After leaving the Hill, Dave Millner went on to the University of Cincinnati, where he acquired an M.A. in political science, belatedly conferred in 1948. Called into military service in 1942 as a private in the U.S. Army, he was commissioned as an officer and remained in uniform through the end of World War II. On June 4, 1944, Lt. Millner and Elaine E. Stone were married in Port Richmond. Released from active duty in 1946, after service with an ordnance battalion in Europe and participation in the Battle of the Bulge, Dave Millner enrolled in Columbia University's law school. He was awarded his LL.B. degree in 1948.
In addition to Reserve duty with the Army's Judge Advocate General's Corps (in which he would attain the rank of major), Dave Millner began his practice of law in New York City. In 1957, after five years as attorney and field supervisor for the Interstate Commerce Commission's Bureau of Motor Carriers in Newark, NJ, he formed a law partnership with Edward F. Bowes. Located in Newark and Roseland, NJ, and representing trucking companies and bus lines before the ICC and state agencies, Bowes & Millner specialized in transportation law. It became a leading firm in its field of specialty and one of the country's top "boutique" firms.
Engaged primarily in the financial aspects of the transportation industry, including mergers, consolidations, and acquisitions, Dave Millner enjoyed the work until federal deregulation of the industry altered the field. The partnership, then Bowes, Millner & Rodgers, was dissolved in 1981, and he joined a general-practice firm, Friedman Siegelbaum, in Roseland, as of counsel. He continued to represent a segment of the motor carrier industry through the 1990s. Known for his professional integrity, he found relaxation in travel, gardening, and reading.
A. David Millner died on November 7, 2005, while hospitalized in Cooperstown, NY. He is survived by a son, S. Robert Millner '70, and a daughter, Elizabeth A. Cantelmo, from his first marriage, which ended in divorce in 1968. (He was later wed, in 1978, to Suzanne Kleiner.) Also surviving are three grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
David Benson Moore '41, an obstetrician and gynecologist, and a highly regarded medical educator, was born on April 25, 1919, in Hulberton, NY, west of Rochester. A son of Clark W., a groceryman and quarry operator, and Jennie Benson Moore, he grew up in Hulberton and was graduated from nearby Holley High School. After a year of preparation at Phillips Exeter Academy, David Moore entered Hamilton in 1937. He followed his brother, Clark W. Moore '38, and joined his fraternity, Psi Upsilon. While pursuing premedical studies, he found time to manage the fencing team in his senior year and serve on the Interfraternity Council and the Winter Carnival Committee. He "made good use of a good brain," in the words of The Hamiltonian, to earn his B.S. degree with honors in biology in 1941.
David Moore went on to the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, where he obtained his M.D. in 1944. After a year's internship at Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn, he served a residency at Sloane Hospital, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. In 1946, he was called to active duty for two years with the U.S. Navy Medical Corps. Released as a lieutenant (j.g.), Dr. Moore returned to Sloane and completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology. He would remain associated with Columbia's medical school and medical center for the rest of his professional career. Appointed assistant attending physician in 1952, he was promoted to assistant clinical professor of obstetrics and gynecology in 1960 and associate in 1970.
As a physician, clinical researcher, and teacher, Dr. Moore considered himself "to be among the most fortunate because I have loved nearly every minute of my professional life." For his dedication, he earned the respect and devotion of his patients as well as his students and colleagues. A fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the American College of Surgeons, he was also a past president of the New York Obstetrical Society, the oldest such organization in the United States. In addition, he served as president of the Society of Practitioners of Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center and as a trustee of Presbyterian Hospital.
David B. Moore, long a resident of Tenafly, NJ, continued to teach and practice pelvic surgery into his 70s, although he had ceased delivering babies by that time. Residing for the past three years in a retirement community in Bryn Mawr, PA, he died there on November 22, 2005. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, the former Barbara White, whom he had wed on June 5, 1943, in Ballston Spa, NY. Also surviving are a son, Eric D. Moore; two daughters, Melissa Look and Amanda Maxwell; and six grandchildren. Dr. Moore's brother, Clark, predeceased him in 1996.
Return to Top
Alton Henry Hollenbeck '42, a retired laboratory supervisor, was born on May 19, 1920, in Bainbridge, NY, northeast of Binghamton. A son of Sebert B., a banker, and Rena Lyon Hollenbeck, he entered the College in 1938 from Bainbridge Central High School. "Al" Hollenbeck became a member of the Squires Club and played for four years in the College Band. Encouraged by Professor Harvey Cameron, he also became a "photo fiend" who, according to The Hamiltonian, was always looking "to find a new and original angle for his camera." He left the Hill with his B.S. degree in 1942.
Drafted into the U.S. Army shortly thereafter, Al Hollenbeck, who had focused on biology at Hamilton, was assigned to a Medical Corps laboratory at Fort Sam Houston, TX, where he spent the remainder of World War II. He returned to Bainbridge following his discharge as a staff sergeant in 1946 and worked there for four years as a florist.
In 1950, his former Army commanding officer invited Al Hollenbeck to join him at the University of Minnesota's School of Public Health in Minneapolis. It marked the beginning of 37 years of fruitful employment in a rewarding career doing scientific research and working in areas of public health with graduate students from around the world. As a further bonus, his photographic skills were of considerable use on the job.
When his five sons were growing up, Al Hollenbeck became highly involved with the Boy Scouts of America on the local troop level. He served as a scoutmaster for 24 years and was recognized for his contributions with the Scouts' Lamb Award. He was also an active member of Calvary Lutheran Church in Golden Valley, the Minneapolis suburb in which he resided.
Alton H. Hollenbeck was still a resident of Golden Valley at the time of death on September 16, 2005. He is survived by his wife, the former Edyth J. Reichard, whom he had married in Bainbridge on June 3, 1943. Also surviving are a daughter, Karen Ackman; five sons, Kenneth J., Edwin E., Stephen L., Michael S., and Andrew A. Hollenbeck; and 19 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren, and a sister. He was predeceased by his brother, S. Earl Hollenbeck '32, in 1971.
Return to Top
Stephen Andrew Hulme '42, a retired physician, was born on May 16, 1920, to Stephen Hulme, an accountant, and the former Mary G. Cross, in Chicago, IL. Steve Hulme grew up in White Plains, NY, and was graduated from White Plains High School. He enrolled at Hamilton in 1938, joined Delta Upsilon, and went out for basketball and soccer. He left College Hill with his diploma in 1942.
Thereafter, Steve Hulme entered the University of Pittsburgh Medical School, where he acquired his M.D. degree in 1945. A year later, following an internship at St. Francis Hospital in Hartford, CT, he went on active duty with the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant in the Medical Corps. He was stationed at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Bedford, MA. Released from the Navy in 1948, he returned to Pittsburgh to complete his residency in internal medicine. On September 30, 1950, he and Kathleen Paul were married in Hartford.
Dr. Hulme established his private practice in Hartford, which he maintained for 16 years. He subsequently became director of the emergency room at St. Francis Hospital and concluded his career as a part-time physician with Northeast Utilities and the Veterans Administration Hospital in Newington, CT.
Long retired, Stephen A. Hulme died on January 13, 2006, in Hartford. Predeceased by his wife, he is survived by a son, Jeffrey Hulme.
Return to Top
Philip Sheridan '42, a former business owner, was born on June 8, 1920, to Patrick Joseph Sheridan, a lawyer, and the former Helen Saunders, in Dayton, OH. Phil Sheridan grew up in Dayton, where he was graduated from Oakwood High School, and came to Hamilton in 1938. Although he went out for football and basketball, his primary and most enthusiastic athletic focus was on golf. For four years he was a stalwart of the varsity golf team and its captain in his senior year. A member of Delta Kappa Epsilon and elected to Quadrangle, he left the Hill with his B.S. degree in 1942.
Phil Sheridan thereafter reported for duty with the U.S. Marine Corps. Commissioned as an officer, he served in the Pacific theater for two years and returned to the States in 1945, shortly before World War II ended. On December 1, 1945, soon after his discharge from the Marines as a captain, he and Patricia J. Coleman were married in Dayton.
Back in Dayton after the war, Phil Sheridan, also known as "Bud," went to work as a salesman for the Univis Lens Co. In 1948, he went into business for himself by establishing the Sheridan Safety Supply Co., a distributor of industrial safety equipment. A founding member of the Safety Equipment Distributors Association, he owned and operated his company for 40 years until its sale in 1989.
Throughout his life, Phil Sheridan remained addicted to golf. A past champion of the Moraine Country Club, he is remembered for his "competitive spirit, sense of humor, and ability to needle his opponents."
Philip Sheridan, a lifelong resident of the Dayton area, died in his native city on December 22, 2005, of cancer. In addition to his wife of 60 years, he is survived by two sons, Charles C. and Philip J. Sheridan, and three grandchildren.
Return to Top
Kenneth Stillman Mackay '43, a retired trucking company executive, was born on November 25, 1921, in Hartford, CT. The eldest son of Kenneth T. '15, a florist, and Marion Whipple Mackay, he enrolled at Hamilton in 1939, following his graduation from William H. Hall High School in West Hartford. Ken Mackay, also known as "Mac," joined his father's fraternity, Alpha Delta Phi, and became its house steward as well as proud proprietor of a portable bar in his room. He went out for soccer and track, served as news editor of Hamilton Life, and was a member of the Musical Arts Society's executive board. He left the Hill with his B.S. degree in 1943.
In 1944, Ken Mackay began his career in the transportation industry in the employ of H.T. Smith Express Co. He was vice president of the company when he left it in 1960 to become terminal manager for Yale Transport Corp. in Hartford. Subsequently, he was for many years traffic coordinator and later vice president of traffic for Schuster Express, Inc., headquartered in Colchester, CT.
A longtime resident of Farmington, CT, Ken Mackay moved to Stamford, NY, in the mid-1980s, following his retirement. A former president of Hamilton's Connecticut Valley Alumni Association and deacon of the Unitarian-Universalist Church in West Hartford, he was also a dedicated golfer who could often be found on the greens of the Stamford Golf Club.
Kenneth S. Mackay, most recently a resident of Beaufort, SC, died there on November 12, 2005. He was predeceased by his wife, the former Jean L. Boynton, sister of the late William H. '46 and John W. Boynton '51, whom he had wed on June 12, 1943, in West Orange, NJ. Surviving are two sons, Richard T. and Douglas S. Mackay '73; three daughters, Barbara Bates, Lynn Johnson, and Kimberly Mackay-Pearson; 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren; and a sister, Jane Howe, and two brothers, F. Herbert '50 and Robertson Mackay '50.
Return to Top
John Joseph Connerton '44, who for 50 years practiced law in Binghamton, NY, was born in that city on August 3, 1921. He was the elder son of John J. and Marguerite Silber Connerton. His father died when he was 4 years old, and his mother reared him and his brother while working as a clerk in a local welfare office to make ends meet. With his heart and mind set on a career in the law, John Connerton, also known as Jack, came to Hamilton from Johnson City, NY, in 1940 as a graduate of Johnson City High School. He joined Lambda Chi Alpha and the Newman Club, and went out for baseball and soccer. In early 1943, in the midst of World War II, he entered the U.S. Army Air Corps and served in its enlisted ranks for three years, including 18 months in the Pacific theater.
Released as a sergeant after the war's end, Jack Connerton returned to College Hill in 1946 to finish his course of study. After obtaining his A.B. degree in 1947, he went on to Cornell University Law School and acquired his LL.B. in 1950. That year he established his practice in Binghamton in association with the firm of Rosefsky, D'Esti & Greenblott. In 1952, he was appointed second deputy corporation counsel for the City of Binghamton. Promoted two years later to first deputy, he served in that post for 10 years. Subsequently associated with the firm of Hackett, Harbachuk, Thomas, Crawford & Connerton, he continued to practice law until his retirement in 2000.
Afflicted with cancer, John J. Connerton confronted his mortality with the conviction that he had enjoyed "a good and full life with a wonderful family and many close friends." He died at his home in Binghamton on November 25, 2005. Surviving is his wife, the former Jean M. Carros, whom he had wed in Binghamton on April 23, 1955. Also surviving are a daughter, Rita Connerton; a son, John J. Connerton III; and four grandchildren and his brother, William.
Return to Top
James Anthony Fischette '44, who practiced law in Jacksonville, FL, for more than 50 years, was born in Binghamton, NY, on June 9, 1922. The son of Anthony Fischette, also an attorney, and the former Agnes Major, Jim Fischette came to College Hill in 1940 from Binghamton Central High School and joined Lambda Chi Alpha. He completed his freshman year before leaving the College. In 1943, after an additional semester at Hamilton, he enlisted in the U.S. Army. He received specialized training in mechanical engineering at the University of Florida, Gainesville, and served in the Army's Ordnance Corps through the end of World War II.
Released as a technical sergeant in 1946, Jim Fischette returned to the University of Florida and entered its College of Law. Upon receiving his LL.B. degree in 1949, he moved to Jacksonville and became an estate planner for the National Benefit Life Insurance Co. Two years later, he began the private practice of law, and in 1959, he formed a partnership, Fischette & Owen, specializing in commercial litigation and bankruptcy. A former chairman of the Commercial Law League of America, he served as president of the law firm of Fischette, Parrish, Owen & Hill before his retirement.
Active in the community, Jim Fischette was a co-founder and former chairman of the board of the Kingsley Bank of Orange Park. He was also an enthusiastic fisherman, but yachting was his major diversion. In addition to co-founding the Jacksonville Commodores League and serving as its flag commodore, he co-founded and was commodore of the St. Johns River Yacht Club.
James A. Fischette was still residing in Jacksonville when he died on November 1, 2005. Several times married, he is survived by his wife, Frances Calhoun. Also surviving are two daughters, Susan Wallsteadt and Mary Blackstock, born to his first wife, the former Virginia E. Sledge, whom he had wed in 1949, and several stepchildren as well as eight grandchildren.
Return to Top
John Stephen Connolly '48, a retired construction and home building sales broker, was born on July 3, 1922, to Patrick J. and Catherine Farrell Connolly, in Gloversville, NY. "Jack" Connolly grew up in that then glovemaking center where his father was employed in the industry as a "leatherman," and prepared for college at the Pennington School in New Jersey. In 1942, after a year at Hartwick College, he entered the U.S. Navy. He served in the South Pacific and received officer training in the Navy's V-12 program at Yale University.
In 1945, the last year of World War II, Jack Connolly was released from active duty. He enrolled at Hamilton from Gloversville that summer and became a member of Sigma Phi. He rushed through the College in three years, including summer sessions, while finding time for varsity basketball and football, and to captain the baseball team and play golf on the side. A member of the Honor Court and the Student Council, and elected to DT, he was graduated in 1948. On February 26 of the following year, he and Doris May Patten were married in Gloversville.
Jack Connolly's career-long involvement in sales began with Lehigh Portland Cement Co. In 1951, he and Doris moved to Louisville, KY, where Jack worked in promotional sales for several construction companies. He subsequently established his own brokerage business in Louisville, which he operated until his retirement.
In 1992, with their children located on the West Coast, Jack and Doris Connolly moved to Corvallis, OR, where they found the Willamette Valley an ideal locale for enjoying their retirement. They explored and fished the lakes, rivers, and streams of Oregon and Washington, and played a lot of golf. They also made many friends.
Jack Connolly, a gifted conversationalist and storyteller whose zest for life was contagious, had an ever-engaging smile as well as a ready wit. Highly principled, he also possessed a keen sense of fair play, which family and friends alike came to admire and appreciate.
John S. Connolly died on December 19, 2005, at his home in Corvallis. In addition to his wife of 56 years, he is survived by two daughters, Jan Marie Manns and Kathleen P. Ellis; a son, Patrick J. Connolly; and five grandchildren.
Return to Top
Frank Sanford Nichols '49, a retired sports writer, was born on September 13, 1923, to Sanford Nichols, a trucker, and the former Margaret Brack, a secretary, in Albany, NY. Frank Nichols was graduated in 1940 from Van Rensselaer High School in Rensselaer, NY, and entered the U.S. Navy the following year. He served as a radioman aboard the aircraft carriers U.S.S. Enterprise and Essex in the Pacific theater. Released from the Navy in the fall of 1945, following World War II's end, he came to Hamilton in the spring of 1946 and remained on the Hill for two years.
Long interested in a career in journalism, Frank Nichols worked for a series of newspapers from the East to the West Coast, beginning as a sports writer with the Troy, NY, Record. In 1961, he settled permanently in San Diego, CA, where he joined the San Diego Union. Besides covering local sports events, he wrote features and became a turf writer and handicapper at Caliente and Southern California tracks. Remembered for his unusual and ever active sense of humor, and his distinctive staccato writing style, he retired in 1988.
Frank S. Nichols, a resident of Chula Vista, died in nearby San Diego on December 19, 2005. His marriage in 1950 to Ruth Kirkpatrick having ended in divorce, he is survived by a son and daughter, Joseph and Joyce Nichols, and four granddaughters.
Return to Top