Thomas Bernard Bradley, Jr. '50, a retired physician, chief of medicine, and medical researcher, was born on December 2, 1928, in DuBois, PA. The elder son of Thomas B., an insurance adjuster, and Mary Angela Behen Bradley, a nurse, he came to College Hill in 1946 as a graduate of Central Catholic High School in Pittsburgh. Intent upon a future career in medicine, Tom Bradley pursued premedical studies and became, in the words of The Hamiltonian, "enmeshed in the devious course of almost every lab on the Hill." While excelling academically, he found time to play in the band and participate in the activities of the Newman and Outing clubs. Awarded the Holbrook Prize in Biology, he was graduated Phi Beta Kappa and with honors in biology and chemistry in 1950.
Tom Bradley went on to the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, where he earned his M.D. degree in 1954. He interned and served his residency in internal medicine at Presbyterian Hospital in New York City until 1956, when he went on active duty with the U.S. Army Medical Corps. He served for two years, including a posting to the Army's hospital on Okinawa, and was released with the rank of captain.
After completing his residency at Presbyterian and a year's fellowship in hematology at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Dr. Bradley practiced internal medicine for two years in Plainfield, NJ. In 1962, he joined the faculty of Seton Hall College of Medicine and Dentistry, where he became an assistant professor, and from 1964 to 1969, he was associated with the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx.
Dr. Bradley thereafter moved to the West Coast to become chief of hematology at the San Francisco Veterans Administration Hospital. He served concurrently as associate professor at the University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine. Promoted to full professor in 1975, he was also named associate chief of staff for research and ambulatory care at the Veterans Hospital. In 1988, he left San Francisco when appointed professor of medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. There he also served as chief of staff at the South Texas VA Medical Center (1988-94) and chief of medical service at the Kerrville VA Medical Center (1995-98).
Over the years, Dr. Bradley pursued biomedical research in molecular genetics, focusing on the structure, function, and genetic variants of human hemoglobin. Elected to the American Society for Clinical Investigation, he also took great professional pride in serving as secretary of the American Society of Hematology. While in San Francisco, he was among the first physicians in the country to treat patients who were afflicted with the then not-yet-identified Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS).
A man of charm and wit, and with vast and varied interests who had learned to "cherish the grandeur of the English language" at Hamilton, Tom Bradley customarily read the weekly New Yorker from cover to cover. He obtained his private pilot's license at age 67 and took up woodworking at age 73. He also built his own harpsichord, on which he loved to play Baroque music, and enjoyed gardening (tomatoes and hot chilies were his specialty) and constructing fences and rock walls for his hill country home.
Thomas B. Bradley, who had retired from medicine in 1998, died at his home in Fair Oaks Ranch, TX, on November 26, 2005. He is survived by his wife, Susan G. Reese, and three sons and a daughter, Thomas B. III, Mark W., Stephen P., and Mary F. Bradley, born of his first marriage to Patricia Ann Macaulay, on July 2, 1955, in Hackensack, NJ. Also surviving are eight grandchildren, a sister, Patricia Wendler, and a brother, Edward B. Bradley '56; and nephews and nieces, including Kathleen Bradley Sullivan '84.
Return to Top
Donald Edward Hilfinger '50, a former construction contractor and teacher, grew up in Syracuse, NY, where he was born on March 27, 1923. A son of Martin F., a business executive, and Rose Newcomb Hilfinger, and one of three brothers to attend Hamilton, he was graduated in 1941 from Nottingham High School in Syracuse. The following year, during World War II, he joined the U.S. Marine Corps. As a gunner, Cpl. Hilfinger served aboard the heavy cruiser U.S.S. Tuscaloosa when it took part in the Allied invasions of Normandy and Southern France in 1944. When the vessel was transferred to the Pacific theater in 1945, he was on hand for the landings on Iwo Jima and Okinawa.
Released from military service at the war's end, Don Hilfinger entered Hamilton in the spring of 1946. After joining Psi Upsilon, he led its house team to intramural titles in swimming and hockey, and he was also for two seasons a tackle on the varsity football squad. On July 12, 1947, he ceased to be a bachelor when he and Suzanne "Sue" Fish were wed in Syracuse.
Following his graduation in 1950, Don Hilfinger returned to Syracuse, where he established his own business as an independent contractor. He later served for several years as a teacher for the Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES). Fond of the outdoors, and especially hunting, he was a member of Ducks Unlimited as well as the National Rifle Association.
Donald E. Hilfinger, long retired, died on October 29, 2005, in Syracuse. Predeceased by his wife in 1996, he is survived by a son, Peter W. Hilfinger; a daughter, Melinda Portmess; two granddaughters; and his brothers, Martin F., Jr. '39 and Robert N. Hilfinger '50. Other relatives include his nephew, Martin F. III '66, and great-nephew, Martin F. IV '95.
Return to Top
George Davry Maynard '50, an export sales manager, grew up in Troy, NY, where he was born on November 10, 1928, to Morton K., an engineer and corporation executive, and Corlista Davry Maynard. He came to the College in 1946 from Lansingburgh High School in Troy and joined Delta Upsilon as well as the staff of campus radio station WHC. Known around the DU house for his "face-splitting grin," he also contributed his time to The Spectator.
Following his graduation in 1950, George Maynard obtained employment with the General Cable Corp. in New York City. However, with the outbreak of the Korean conflict that summer, he was soon wearing a U.S. Army uniform. Commissioned as an officer in the Corps of Engineers, he served for three years, attained the rank of lieutenant, and returned to civilian life in 1953.
In 1957, after four years in the foreign department of the First Pennsylvania Banking & Trust Co., George Maynard became an assistant export manager with the Frank H. Fleer Corp. in Philadelphia. In 1960, he left Fleer when appointed export sales manager for the Merrow Machine Co., manufacturers of stitching machines for the textile industry, located in Hartford, CT. On September 7, 1965, in Hartford, he was married to Lucia Sierra. A resident of Avon and later West Granby, CT, he remained with Merrow as export sales manager for more than 25 years.
George D. Maynard was residing in Wyoming when he died on March 20, 2005, as recently verified by the College. It has no information on survivors.
Return to Top
Nelson Collingwood Hyde, Jr. '53, a former editor of this magazine who went on to a long career with the Richmond News Leader and Times-Dispatch, was born on December 11, 1931, in Pinehurst, NC. His parents were Nelson C., a newspaper reporter and editor, and Martha Pleasants Hyde. Young "Tim" Hyde prepared for college at Phillips Exeter Academy and entered Hamilton in 1949 from Alexandria, VA. He joined Sigma Phi, played on the squash team, and foreshadowed his future career in journalism as news and associate editor of The Spectator. Elected to Was Los and DT as well as serving as president of the journalism honorary Pi Delta Epsilon, he was also chosen in his senior year as president of the Sig house and a member of Nous Onze.
Upon leaving the Hill with his diploma in 1953, Tim Hyde went on active duty with the U.S. Marine Corps. He served for two years as a public information officer and attained the rank of first lieutenant. On January 22, 1955, while still in uniform, he was married to Katharine E. "Karen" Looker in Alexandria. That year he returned to Hamilton as public relations director and editor of the Alumni Review. After four years in that post, he resigned to pursue newspaper journalism as a reporter for the Richmond News Leader. Promoted to makeup editor in 1962, he later served as assistant and associate city editor as well as city editor before being named assistant managing editor in 1975. When the News Leader merged with the Times-Dispatch in 1992, he was appointed deputy managing editor.
At the end of that year, Tim Hyde retired from the Times Dispatch, and he and Karen moved from Richmond after 33 years to their Blue Ridge Mountain weekend and vacation home in Vesuvius, Amherst County, VA. There, as "a real newspaperman again," he became a staff writer for the weekly Amherst New Era-Progress and Nelson County Times. He also served as an editorial consultant for the quarterly history journal Virginia and did some book editing. He retired for a second time in 1996.
Active in the community, especially in Scouting when his sons were young, Tim Hyde was a former president of the Lewis Ginter Community Center in Richmond. In retirement he served as an election official of Amherst County, secretary of the Friends of the Historic Amherst Train Station, and president of the Amherst County Public Library. In 2004, he was recognized for his community service by being named a Paul Harris Fellow by the Amherst Rotary Club. A tennis devotee and avid whitewater canoeist who almost achieved his goal of paddling on every one of Virginia's many rivers, he was also a keen student of geography, and he and Karen traveled extensively during his retirement years.
Nelson C. Hyde, Jr., who is remembered by his colleagues in journalism as "a fine old-school reporter, writer and editor, and one with special consideration and empathy for his news staff," died at his Amherst County home on September 3, 2005, of cancer. In addition to his wife of 50 years, he is survived by three sons, Nelson C. III, Dana C., and Thomas B. Hyde.
Return to Top
Donald Willard Tappan '53, a professor of French who retired after 26 years of teaching at the University of New Orleans, was born on February 24, 1932, in Syracuse, NY. A son of Edgar W., an insurance and real estate agent, and Frances Roush Tappan, he was graduated first in his class from Baldwinsville (NY) Academy in 1949. Don Tappan entered Hamilton that year from Baldwinsville and became a member of Lambda Chi Alpha (later Gryphon). Majoring in French and English, he received honors in French upon his graduation in 1953. He left the Hill having formed friendships that would last a lifetime.
Encouraged and assisted by Professor Marcel Moraud, Don Tappan spent a year in France as a Fulbright scholar before going on to an M.A. degree in French from Rice Institute (now University) in Houston, TX, in 1956. He came back to Hamilton that year as an instructor in French, but left two years later to resume graduate studies at Yale University. In 1961, he returned to Rice as an instructor and, after obtaining his Ph.D. in Romance Languages from Yale in 1964, was promoted to assistant professor. He remained on the Rice faculty until 1970, when he left Houston to join the department of foreign languages at Northern Illinois University.
After a not particularly happy year there, Don Tappan seized the opportunity to move on to Louisiana State University (now the University of New Orleans) as professor of French and chairman of the department of foreign languages. A specialist in medieval French as well as 17th century French literature, he would chair the department until 1977 and continue to teach at the University until his retirement in 1997. Throughout those years he sought to follow the admirable example set by Hamilton's Professor Frank Hamlin in his teaching.
Don Tappan, recalled by friends such as Hamilton classmate Roger D. Brink as a bon vivant with a quick wit and marvelous sense of the absurd, is also remembered for his quiet, gentlemanly demeanor. He loved to travel, which he did extensively, most often to France and England. But he also grew to greatly love New Orleans, despite its climate, and he beautifully restored an old house there, doing most of the work himself. He later took up residence in a retirement community overlooking the Mississippi River.
When Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans last August, Don Tappan happened to be hospitalized in the city because of a recurrence of cancer. He was evacuated to a hospital in Lafayette, LA, where he died on October 5, 2005, before friends and relatives could reach him. Never married, he is survived by a sister, Molly Tappan, and a brother, John Tappan. Sometime this year a group of Don's friends plan to celebrate his life with a dinner at Galatoire's, his favorite New Orleans restaurant.
Return to Top
Jacob Mayer Lehman '54, a physician and orthopedic surgeon, was born on August 16, 1933, in Brooklyn, NY. The son of Harry Lehman, a civil engineer, and the former Bertha Posner, a school teacher, "Jack" Lehman grew up in Brooklyn, where he was graduated from Erasmus Hall High School in 1951, the year he came to Hamilton. With a talent for science and a strong desire to become a physician, he pursued premedical studies, majoring in chemistry. A member of Tau Kappa Epsilon, he devoted his leisure time to debate and the Chess Club. He completed his studies in three years and left the Hill with his diploma in 1954, having lost neither his Brooklyn accent nor his desire to take the Hippocratic oath, according to The Hamiltonian.
Jack Lehman returned to Brooklyn and enrolled at what was then known as the Downstate Medical Center of the State University of New York. He acquired his M.D. degree in 1959, and on September 4 of the following year, he and Madalyn Gordon, a registered nurse, were married in Brooklyn. Dr. Lehman established both his residence and his practice in Patchogue on Long Island. Except for 1964-66, when he was on active duty as a captain with the U.S. Army Medical Corps, he continued to practice there until recent years.
Jacob M. Lehman was residing in Boca Raton, FL, when he died on October 15, 2005. Besides his wife, he leaves two sons, Douglas G. and Keith S. Lehman; a daughter, Jill A. Lehman; and two grandchildren.
Return to Top
James Russell Moodey '54, D.D. (Hon.) '86, the ninth bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio, was born on December 9, 1932, in Brooklyn, NY. The younger son of the Rev. John R. Moodey, an Episcopal minister, and the former Matil Cochran, he grew up on Long Island and entered Hamilton from Hewlett in 1950 as a graduate of Woodmere High School. In his essay, "Why I Want to Go to College," which accompanied his application, he announced his determination "to make the Episcopal ministry my life's work." Easy-going and with a ready sense of humor, Jim Moodey became a popular member of the campus community. He joined Sigma Phi, played varsity hockey as a goalie, and served as sports editor of The Spectator. Years later he would reflect that, "Losing all those hockey games was a good preparation for life."
Following his graduation in 1954, Jim Moodey enrolled at the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, MA, where he earned his B.D. Degree in 1957. Ordained as a deacon that year, and as a priest in 1958, he began his parish ministry as assistant rector of Christ Church in Cincinnati, OH. There he met Penelope W. Hall, and on April 18, 1959, in that city, they were wed. The couple moved on to Delaware in 1960 when Jim Moodey was appointed vicar of the Episcopal Church of the Nativity in New Castle. Five years later, he again had an opportunity to take up an urban ministry when called to Scranton, PA, as rector of St. Luke's. In 1976, after 11 years in Scranton, where he participated in ecumenical attempts to improve housing and education, he was called to Philadelphia as rector of St. Paul's in Chestnut Hill.
Profoundly influenced by a summer spent amidst great poverty in rural Haiti as a seminarian, and by the Civil Rights struggles of the 1960s (he participated in the March on Washington in 1963), Jim Moodey was known for his commitment to social and racial justice. Active in various capacities within the councils of the national church, he greatly impressed his peers, who selected him as bishop coadjutor of the Diocese of Ohio in 1983. A year later, he was invested as bishop of the diocese, which encompasses the 48 northern counties of the state. During his tenure he focused his abundance of energy on pastoral care and reaching out with warmth and compassion to the community. Among his achievements was the formation of the Episcopal Community Services Foundation, which provides funds to assist the poor and needy.
With gracious good humor, ready approachability, and genuine concern for people, Bishop Moodey gained great affection as well as respect in the diocese. Beyond the diocese, he was saluted for his spiritual leadership with an honorary doctorate of divinity from his alma mater at Commencement in 1986. In addition, he received an honorary doctorate from Kenyon College, on whose board of trustees he sat for a decade. A voracious reader who loved words, and was careful and sparing in his use of them, he also retained his youthful enthusiasm for sports, and never stopped rooting for his favorite baseball team, the Cleveland Indians.
James Moodey retired in 1993, after a decade as bishop and more than 36 years in the ministry. The home base for him and his family became Maine, where they had a summer cottage on a lake, and where Jim especially enjoyed the outdoors and "the sights, sounds and smells of nature." There he also served for 18 months as a visiting bishop in the Maine diocese.
The Right Rev. James R. Moodey, a resident of Damariscotta, ME, since 2000, spent the last 14 years of his life keenly aware of his own mortality. Finding that, "my greatest learning has flowed from living day to day with cancer since 1991," he was committed to "living with, rather than struggling against" the disease. Enjoying life and the opportunities it afforded until the end, he died at his home, of metastatic kidney cancer, on September 5, 2005. In addition to his wife of 46 years, he is survived by two daughters, Meredith Poole '83 and Virginia (Tia) Hamilton; a son, J. Tucker Moodey; and nine grandchildren.
Return to Top
Anthony Cornell Rose '54, long engaged in real estate investment in California, was born Anthony A. Rose, Jr., on August 10, 1932, in Utica, NY. The son of Anthony A., a real estate and insurance broker, and Louise Cornell Rose, he came up the Hill from St. Francis de Sales High School in Utica in 1950. Known for his cheerful good nature as well as his robust appetite, "Tony" Rose navigated successfully through four years at Hamilton with the help of a '36 Ford and an assist from Dean Winton Tolles, whose guidance Tony later credited with having helped him tremendously throughout his life. A member of ELS and an occasional laborer in Professor John Mattingly's stable at 50 cents per hour, he left the Hill with his diploma in 1954, bound for Albany Law School.
After acquiring his LL.B. degree in 1957 and six months on active duty with the U.S. Air Force, Tony Rose briefly engaged in civil litigation in Manhattan. In 1959, he returned to his native Utica, where he established a private practice, specializing in criminal defense law. Married on May 7, 1966, to Sharon (Sherry) Davies in the College Chapel, he continued to practice in Utica until 1970, when he moved to Santa Barbara, CA. There he turned from the law to commercial real estate as president of Anthony Rose Real Estate Investments, Inc. While in Santa Barbara, he served on the mayor's committee for economic development and as vice president of the Santa Barbara Arts Society. He was also president of the board of the Montessori Center School and active in the Unitarian Society.
After he and his wife were divorced in 1999, Tony Rose moved to San Diego, CA, where he continued to be engaged in real estate investment and leasing. His leisure time was devoted to travel, especially to, Italy, and to baseball as an ardent fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers. He was also a jazz aficionado, particularly of be-bop (his license plate read BBOP4ME). A faithful alumnus, he assisted the College with its fund-raising efforts, chaired the 40th Reunion of his class, and served for a time as class correspondent for this magazine.
Anthony C. Rose died on July 9, 2005, in San Diego, of lung cancer. He is survived by two sons, Andrew C. and Nicholas C. Rose, and a sister, Elaine Cerny.
Return to Top
John Raymond Ibach, Jr. '55, who led a remarkably full and productive life as a surgeon, musician, and benevolent human being, was born on August 22, 1933, in Massena, NY, near the Canadian border. The elder son of John R., an electrical engineer, and Margaret Rodger Ibach, he came to Hamilton from Massena High School in 1951, having been encouraged to do so by his uncle, John A. Rodger '31. With his boundless energy and unlimited capacity for work, John Ibach as a student gave new meaning to the expression "well-rounded." Elected president of the freshman class, he proceeded to athletic distinction as co-captain and sparkplug of the basketball team, scoring more than 1,000 points in his college career, and breaking the College's high-hurdles record as a member of the track team. President of the Block "H" Club and a member of the Athletics Council, he was also vice president of the Interfraternity Council and a member of the Student Council, Admissions Committee, Chapel Board, and Publications Board as editor of The Hamiltonian. In addition, he presided over the Alpha Delta Phi house in his senior year. And while pursuing premedical studies, he found time to relax and entertain by playing the piano.
Elected to DT, Was Los, and Pentagon, John Ibach richly earned the prestigious James Soper Merrill Prize upon his graduation in 1955. He went on to the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, where he obtained his M.D. degree in 1959. An internship and residency in general surgery at Philadelphia General Hospital followed. In 1964, Dr. Ibach established his private practice in Ridley Park, PA. However, he had to leave it three years later when he was drafted into the U.S. Army Medical Corps during the Vietnam War. He performed surgery in a field hospital in Vietnam that was frequently under enemy attack, and under horrendous conditions, helped save the lives of numerous Vietnamese civilians who were brought to the hospital. He also once assisted in the successful separation of Siamese twin babies.
Released from the Army after two years with the rank of major in 1969, John Ibach obtained a two-year fellowship in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at the University of Florida Medical Center in Gainesville. He settled permanently in the Sunshine State and, in 1971, established his practice in Jacksonville. There he joined the staff of Baptist Medical Center and became its chief of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. He also served as clinical associate professor of surgery at the University of Florida.
Respected and admired by his patients for his kindness, geniality, and warm compassion, John Ibach also gained the respect of his professional peers, who elected him president of the Florida Thoracic Society and the Florida Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons, as well as of the Jacksonville Chapter of the American College of Surgeons. He chaired regional advisory boards of the Florida Lung Association and American Heart Association, and was director of the Duval County Medical International Health Volunteers. In addition, he made medical mission trips to Haiti, Jamaica, and Ghana to extend his professional help.
John Ibach applied his surgical hands with equal skill to the keyboard of a piano, and for him music was not merely an avocation but more of a second life. A very visible presence in Jacksonville music circles, he was a director of the Delius Association, the St. John's River Band, and the Riverside Fine Arts Association, as well as president of Body & Soul. His personal passion was for jazz, and he occasionally played with jazz bands and recorded several CDs. Anyone who has attended a Hamilton reunion in recent decades will recall John Ibach as the highly talented pianist with the Alumni All-Stars Jazz Band.
John Ibach, who acquired the title of "Dr. Jazz" around Jacksonville, also earned a reputation as a "Renaissance man" because of his varied interests and talents. He was generous in sharing his time and means with the community, to the benefit of worthy causes and Jacksonville's cultural life. There he also served as an elder of the Riverside Presbyterian Church and a trustee of its day school. To Hamilton, he was an unfailingly faithful and supportive alumnus who remained ever close to the College. He cared deeply about its welfare, and most particularly the fortunes of its basketball team. His bearded presence, as well as his warmth and grace, will be missed but long remembered on the Hill.
John R. Ibach, who retired in 2000, was diagnosed three years ago with a rare form of dementia. He died peacefully in Jacksonville as the disease progressed, on September 11, 2005. He is survived by his wife, Stephanie Scott Ibach, to whom he was wed in 1986; his stepdaughter, Eve Edwards Fairchild; and two daughters and three sons, born of his first marriage, to Catherine Henlin in 1959: Karen Bowden and Kristen Owen, and Michael B., John R., and David H. Ibach. Also surviving are 12 grandchildren and his brother, Rodger Ibach '58.
Return to Top
George Tsoo-Ying Young '56, who managed to eke out a living in a variety of ways in Manhattan, was born on July 2, 1935, to Yihsen Young, a research chemist who died when George was a boy, and Sze Zoh Yao, a librarian and secretary, in Orange, NJ. He grew up in Manhattan and was graduated from the prestigious Stuyvesant High School in 1952, the year he entered Hamilton. Of Chinese descent and one of the few Asian-Americans to be enrolled at the College in that era, George Young progressed through four years on the Hill in his quietly studious way. History, politics, and languages were his abiding interests, and he earned honors in history upon his graduation in 1956.
Soon thereafter, George Young entered the U.S. Army to serve his two-year hitch, which included a posting to Iceland. He subsequently returned to New York City and acquired an M.A. degree in social studies from Columbia University's Teachers College in 1959. Having no success in obtaining a teaching position, he instead took odd jobs, such as cashier at the B. Altman store on 5th Avenue, French tutoring, and free-lance indexing. Utilizing his linguistic skills, he was for a time a cataloger for French and European Publications, also in Manhattan. He continued to take adult education courses, especially in languages, and maintained an acute interest in Asian affairs, including efforts to provide aid to refugees and others in need. A faithful alumnus, he also contributed to Hamilton's fund drives, usually in $5 and $10 amounts, as his resources permitted.
George T. Young died on July 29, 2002, as only recently verified by the College. He was unmarried, and the College has no information on survivors.
Return to Top
Richard Orlando Horning, Jr. '57, a former radio and television broadcaster, restaurant proprietor, and notably engaging personality, was born on May 16, 1935, in Pittsburgh, PA. The son of Richard O. and Marguerite McCahill Horning, both corporate executives, he grew up in the Pittsburgh suburb of Wexford and prepared for college at Shady Side Academy in Pittsburgh, where he was "a live wire in student activities." Known as "R.O." or "Landy," he arrived at Hamilton in 1953 and joined Delta Upsilon. Besides trouping with the Charlatans for four years and serving on the Interfraternity Council and Chapel Board, he took part in efforts to reorganize WHC, the campus radio station. On June 18, 1957, shortly after he received his A.B. degree majoring in economics, he was married to Anne S. Curtis in Clinton.
After brief employment with a transportation company in Pittsburgh, Landy Horning entered the broadcasting field. He served a stint at WQED-TV in Pittsburgh, where he was an announcer for the soon-to-be nationally popular Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. In 1960, following further stints at small radio and television stations in upstate New York, he ventured across the Canadian border and took a job selling advertising for a station in Cornwall, Ontario. There he soon became an announcer. After two years, he moved on as an announcer to radio station CHML in Hamilton, Ontario. Starting with a night show, he moved up to the coveted "afternoon drive slot," and also announced for TV station CHCH, encompassing news and weather as well as talk shows and interviews with celebrities. He even hosted game shows syndicated throughout Canada, and by the late 1970s he had become a familiar figure in Canadian living rooms.
In the meantime, Landy Horning, an avid skier, had purchased a home in Ellicottville, NY, a popular ski resort town in the state's Southern Tier. An aspiring gourmet cook, he opened the Crystal Palace Restaurant there in 1980. While playing genial host at the restaurant, he maintained an office back in Hamilton as a communications consultant. Seeking to assist corporate executives in public speaking, he called his business "Speakeasy."
Landy Horning's passion for golf eventually took him in retirement to Skidaway Island off the Georgia coast and finally to Leesburg, FL. Wherever he resided, he impressed those who encountered him with his colorful and vibrant personality. To friends he was known for his penchant for telling a good joke, and at the end of his life he was busily compiling thousands of them in the hope of one day producing a joke book.
Briefly ill, Richard O. Horning, Jr. died in Leesburg on September 25, 2005. He is survived by three daughters, Katherine C. Vyse and Kimberly A. and Andrea L. Horning, as well as two sisters.
Return to Top
James Joseph Citranglo '58, an editor, was born on June 28, 1936, to Gabriel J., a printer, and Dorothy Schepflin Citranglo, in New York City. "Jamie" Citranglo was graduated in 1954 from Woodhull Preparatory School in Hollis, NY, and enrolled at the College from Queens Village that fall. He joined Delta Phi, sang for four years in the Choir, and was active in the French and Canterbury clubs. He left the Hill with his diploma in 1958.
In 1965, after service in the U.S. Army, Jamie Citranglo acquired an M.A. degree from New York University. He entered the book publishing field and became an editor for the McGraw Hill Co. When last heard from, he was a senior editor for Amsco School Publishing in New York City.
The College has obtained verification of James J. Citranglo's death on February 7, 2005. According to the College's records, he was unmarried, and it has no information on survivors.
Return to Top
Donald Stanley Cohen '58, who practiced obstetrics and gynecology on Long Island for many years, was born on January 14, 1937, in New York City. His parents were Martin M., the owner of a small clothing store, and Edna Michaalson Cohen, a bookkeeper who was left a widow when her son was still a boy. Don Cohen grew up in Port Jervis, NY, where he was graduated in 1954 from Port Jervis High School. He entered Hamilton that year, determined to prepare for a future career in medicine. Affiliated with the Squires Club and majoring in the sciences, he focused on his studies and earned honors in biology upon his graduation in 1958.
Don Cohen went on to Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons and received his M.D. degree in 1962. In 1967, after an internship at Mt. Sinai Hospital and a four-year residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Beth Israel Hospital, both in New York City, he entered the U.S. Air Force Medical Corps. He served for two years as a captain, and for a time he was stationed not far from the College, at Griffiss Air Force Base in Rome.
In 1969, Dr. Cohen established his private medical practice in Rockville Centre, NY. A dedicated and caring physician who spent much quality time with his patients, he put in long hours and worked hard in building up a successful practice. Devoted at the same time to his family, he took great pride and joy in his children. His spare moments were given over to his interest in sports, especially the Mets, as well as bridge, traveling, movies, and reading.
Donald S. Cohen, a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, retired in 1996. He died in Oceanside, NY, where he was then residing, on September 3, 2003. He is survived by his wife, the former Judith S. Blum, whom he had married on October 16, 1965, in New York City. Also surviving are two sons, Martin A. '90 and Joseph B. Cohen; a daughter, Karen R. Cohen; and eight grandchildren.
Return to Top