To commemorate the 40th anniversary of its dedication, Daniel Burke Library will host a celebration on Monday, Sept. 10, from 3:30 to 5 p.m., at the library. Kathy Collett, college archivist, will give a brief history of the college library, Dean of Faculty Patrick Reynolds will speak on the importance of libraries, and Dave Smallen, VP of Information Technology, will reflect on his years in Burke Library.
In 1968, President John W. Chandler announced that the James Library (now the Christian Johnson Building) was to be replaced by a new structure. The new building, designed by Hugh Stubbins and Associates of Cambridge, Mass., costing more than $5.5 million and housing up to 500,000 volumes in approximately 80,000 square feet, was completed on the site of the Truax Hall in 1972. The new building was named for Daniel Burke, class of 1893, a long- time chairman of the Board of Trustees who had done much to make possible the building of the James Library.
Today, Burke Library houses the Information Commons, Information Technology Services, and includes print and electronic materials. Special Collections of rare books and artifacts are stored on the third floor and include the Beinecke Lesser Antilles Collection, the Ezra Pound Collection, and the Communal Societies Collection.
As part of the 40th anniversary celebration exhibits include posters that depict the history of Burke library, and glass cases on the first and second floor will display artifacts. Also on Sept. 10, library staff will honor Senior Acquisitions Assistant Abby Morton and Assistant Interlibrary Loan Joan Wolek, current library staff members who also worked in the James Library. Morton started on July 19, 1965 and Wolek began work on December 1, 1971. Many retirees of Burke Library are expected to attend as well.
Refreshments will be served and giveaways of pens, bookmarks, and travel mugs will be available.
All events are free and open to the public.