Glen House Turns Five
By Pat Dunn '12
Contact: Holly Foster 315-859-4068
September 2, 2011
Hamilton students gathered on Thursday at the Glen House for a party hosted by the Outdoor Leadership Center. The party, which was thrown in celebration of the fifth anniversary of the Glen House’s dedication, featured refreshments and a variety of outdoors-themed games and competitions.
Bon Appétit catered the event with a strawberry and whipped cream crepe station, Other activities included bear canister bowling, mystery bag piñatas, bobbing for apples, and pin the tag on Yellow-Yellow (a notoriously mischievous black bear in the High Peaks region). Attendees also had the chance to participate in a relay race and to play the popular Adirondack Adventure game, Bird on a Perch.
The Glen House was built in 1922 as an art studio for Edward Root ’05, a member of the art faculty. After his death, Root’s wife, Grace, made several additions to the building and used it as a residence during the summer. The house served on and off as a home for deans during the second half of the 20th century, but was officially dedicated to the Outdoor Leadership Center in 2006, made possible by an anonymous gift of $700,000.
Five years later, the Glen House is equipped with a central living room and kitchen, two offices, a large deck, and extensive storage space for gear, managed by the Hamilton Outing Club (HOC). The Glen House has two full time staff members—Director of Outdoor Leadership Andrew Jillings and Assistant Director of Outdoor Leadership Sarah Jillings.
In addition to HOC, the building is home to the Bike Co-op, the Adirondack Adventure program, Hamilton Environmental Action Group, the Nordic and downhill ski teams, the fly fishing club, and the Hamilton College Marathon Canoe Racing Team.