President Stewart Rings NYSE Closing Bell
Additional Resolutions Mark 200th Anniversary of College Charter Signing
May 24, 2012
President Joan Hinde Stewart rang the Closing Bell at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) on Thursday, May 24, at 4 p.m., as part of the bicentennial celebration of the NY State Board of Regents signing of the college’s charter on May 26, 1812. Joining her on the podium were Richard Bernstein ’80, Robert Delaney, Jr. ’79, Daniel Fielding ’07, Jack Levy '75, George (Jeff) Little ’71, Stephen Sadove ’73, Susan Skerritt K’77, David Solomon ’84, and Richard Tantillo. Photos of the event may be viewed on the NYSE Facebook page and video is available here.
Other events marking the 200th anniversary of the charter's signing include:
- U.S. Representative Richard Hanna sponsored a statement in the Congressional Record on Tuesday, May 15.
- On Tuesday, May 22, U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand read a resolution into the Congressional Record honoring the college.
- The New York State Senate passed a resolution recognizing Hamilton’s anniversary sponsored by Senator Joseph A. Griffo and co-sponsored by Senator David J. Valesky on Wednesday, May 23.
- On Thursday, May 24, U.S. Senators Charles E. Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand introduced a resolution to commemorate the 200th anniversary and to celebrate the college’s sustained commitment to its charter.
- The College Arboretum will host an event that includes remarks from Professor John H. O’Neill, co-chair of the Bicentennial Committee on Saturday, May 26.
- On Wednesday, May 30, the town of Kirkland will issue a proclamation acknowledging the College’s 200th anniversary.
- Reunions will be held from May 31 to June 3. A highlight will be the Bicentennial Meeting of the Alumni Association Saturday morning (it will be webcast for those unable to return to campus)