Tax Preparation Information
Tax Preparation (ANNUAL TAX Filing)
The Dean of Students office does NOT provide professional tax help. We do provide you with access to GLACIER Tax Prep licensed tax preparation software.
Using GLACIER Tax Prep
You may use our licensed tax preparation program, GLACIER Tax Prep , on your own. Simply log-on to GLACIER Tax Prep and use the access code you received by email. You may have received this from Regina or, if you have a GLACIER account through the Business Office, the email will come from GLACIER. If you have lost the access code, contact Regina Johnson to have it emailed again. The access code will be available shortly before spring break, once the 1042-S forms are released. You may access GLACIER Tax Prep from any computer with internet access.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
To prepare your taxes you will need the following documents:
- passport and visa
- form I-20
- social security number or individual tax identification number (if you have neither, GLACIER Tax Prep will prompt you and assist you to complete an ITIN application form)
- address information (US and foreign)
- US entry and exit dates for current and past trips (within the past five years) to the US
- Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099 (if received)
- scholarship or grant letter (if any)
- a copy of your previous income tax return (if you filed one).
Your "Academic Institution or Host Sponsor Information" is:
Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Road, Clinton, NY 13323; phone 315-859-4022; academic director: Allen Harrison, Jr.
WHAT IF YOU HAD NO US INCOME?
You may not need to file an income tax return, but you MUST file Form 8843. You MAY need to file a tax return as well if you received a 1042-s, grant or scholarship letter indicated that you had taxable grant or scholarship money, even if you did not work in the US. Use GLACIER to check! Don't assume you do not need to file.
You must print and mail your income tax form and/or Form 8843 so that it is postmarked by midnight, April 15!
Always make a copy of your forms for your records!