Administrative Job Opportunities
Director, Library Access Services
Hamilton is one of the nation's top liberal arts colleges. It is independent, highly selective, coeducational and residential. Originally founded in 1793 as the Hamilton-Oneida Academy, Hamilton is today composed of 1,850 diverse and talented students from nearly all of the 50 states and approximately 40 countries. More information can be found at www.hamilton.edu/about.
As part of the senior leadership team of the Library, the Director of Library Access Services provides leadership, planning and direction for the circulation, inter-library loan and building operations of the Burke and Music libraries and works closely with faculty and students to ensure responsive and efficient customer services. The director works collaboratively with other libraries in ConnectNY to assure efficient borrowing and lending operations within the consortium and more generally through interlibrary loan. The director represents the Library in local, regional and national settings, keeps abreast of current and emerging trends and implements best practices assuring that Hamilton’s operations are efficient and responsive to the needs of faculty and students. The director supervises seven staff members who provide circulation and interlibrary loan services to the College community.
- Oversees all aspects of circulation and interlibrary loan and building security.
- Hires, supervises and provides for the professional development of the staff.
- Oversees the circulation and general maintenance of the print and media collections.
- Oversees our copyright efforts and other policies.
- Maintains an effective relationship with Physical Plant to assure timely maintenance of the Burke and Music Libraries.
- Ensures prompt and efficient course reserve and document delivery services for faculty and students including analyzing and troubleshooting issues with supporting electronic data systems (e.g., Voyager, Ariel, RapidILL, Millennium).
- Participates in the provision of library services, including back-up support for full staffing of days, nights, and week-end hours of service, to meet demand as needed.
- Oversees library and interlibrary fines and fees billing and accounts; office equipment and vending; entry/exit devices and services.
- Develops monthly library statistics, including patron counts and circulation and interlibrary loan usage.
An ALA-accredited Masters degree with demonstrated leadership ability and the potential to be an excellent supervisor are required. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a high energy level and self-confidence and the demonstrated ability to work effectively as both a team member and as a leader are critical to success.
Submit a detailed resume, application letter addressing experience and interest, and the names, phone numbers, email and postal addresses of three references to: David Smallen, Director of the Library, Hamilton College, firstname.lastname@example.org Application materials should be sent electronically. Final consideration of candidates will begin February 1, 2013.
Please review Hamilton's Benefits Summary for more information.
Hamilton College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and encourages diversity in all areas of the campus community.Posted 01/02/2013