What is Connect NY?
ConnectNY is a consortium of 18 colleges and universities in New York State with a shared catalog of over five million titles. Hamilton College students, faculty, and staff may request materials that we either don't own or are currently checked out using the ConnectNY catalog. Items requested through ConnectNY typically arrive more quickly than those ordered using traditional interlibrary loan.
ConnectNY member institutions include Adeplhi University, Bard College, Canisius College, Cazenovia College, Colgate University, Hamilton College, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Lemoyne College, Medaille College Libraries, Pace University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Rochester Institute of Technology, St. Lawrence University, Siena College, Skidmore College, Union College, United States Military Academy, Vassar College.
What materials are included in the catalog?
The ConnectNY catalog includes what you would expect--a lot of books. It also includes other materials you would encounter in almost any library catalog, like journals, DVDs, music scores, etc. Any items showing the word AVAILABLE next to their call number locations may be requested, but borrowing is limited almost exclusively to books. Electronic books for which Hamilton College holds a license are also available. To request items that are not shown to be AVAILABLE, ask a librarian for assistance.
How do I find and borrow materials?
A link to ConnectNY appears near the top of your results for most keyword and title searches in ALEX, Hamilton’s library catalog. A ConnectNY link will also appear near the bottom of the page in ALEX for items that are checked out. A direct link to Connect NY is available on the Interlibrary Loan Requests page.
You may search ConnectNY much as you would any other library catalog. Use the "Encore" search interface, and once you find an item you would like to request:
- Click on the “Request it” icon or link associated with the item. For most requests, you do not need to choose the lending library.
- Select “Hamilton” from the drop-down menu that appears in the pop-up window and then click the submit button.
- Enter your last name and Hill Card identification number in the appropriate places in the next pop-up window, and then click submit. If you are already logged into your library account, you will be able to skip this step.
- Read the information appearing in one final pop-up window to confirm your request was successful. If so, you will receive an email from email@example.com informing you when your item arrives at Hamilton. Materials that are not checked out within ten days of the email will be returned to the lending institution.
- If you received a message informing you that no copies of the title you wanted are available through ConnectNY, you may want to search WorldCat and request the item using traditional interlibrary loan. Or, you may ask a librarian for assistance.
When will my requested materials arrive?
Your order is automatically sent to a library that owns the item you requested. Materials typically arrive within 2-4 business days. Holidays and scheduled breaks within the academic year may affect this schedule. You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org informing you when your item arrives at Hamilton. Materials that are not checked out within 10 days of the email will be returned to the lending institution.
What are the borrowing rules?
- Items may be kept for 3 weeks from the day they are checked out to you at the Burke Library circulation desk.
- Most items may be renewed for an additional 3 weeks, unless they are needed by the lending institution.
- Items may be recalled by the lending institution at any time.
- Items may be returned at any ConnectNY library.
- Borrowers will be billed for overdue items 30 days after their due date.
Can I download eBooks in the catalog?
The ConnectNY eBook Library (EBL) includes nearly 10,000 titles from 14 academic publishers. These books can be found by searching ALEX or ConnectNY's EBL site. For more information, consult the EBL FAQ.
Many other eBooks listed in the ConnectNY catalog are licensed to individual libraries and not available to us at Hamilton. In those cases, you will need to borrow a print copy of the book from another ConnectNY library.