Microsoft Office 2010 Work at Home License for Windows
License Terms and Conditions
Hamilton College subscribes to the Microsoft Campus Agreement volume licensing program for the Microsoft Office applications used on campus (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). This agreement includes “Work at Home” rights for Office according to the following terms and conditions:
Faculty and staff who are licensed to use the particular product at school, have the right to run one copy of that product on a home PC that they own or lease for school-related purposes only. (Microsoft Campus and School v.3.2b, 2004).
Your DVD is good for two installations: the original installation on your home machine and a reinstall if necessary.
Please do not use this DVD to install Microsoft Office on your college-owned computer.
NOTE: If you received three discs in your “at home” CD/DVD pack, please use the DVD labeled Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 (Product Key Required). The other two discs are for installing Microsoft Lync 2010 and Microsoft Business Contact Manager 2010.
Recommended System Requirements
Processor 500 megahertz (MHz) processor or higher
Operating System Windows XP (with SP3), Vista (with SP1) or 7
Memory 512 MB RAM
Disk Space Minimum 3.5 GB of hard-disk space required
Disk Drive DVD drive
Note: Office 2010 does not run on the Microsoft Windows Me, Windows 98, Windows 2000, or Windows NT operating systems.
On the back of the DVD sleeve you will find a 25 character alphanumeric code called a product key, similar to the one shown below. Keep this product key in a safe place, it is a unique code needed to install Office and to verify your license with Microsoft.
Uninstall Old Versions of Office
Before installing Office 2010, you must uninstall any older versions of Microsoft Office currently installed on your computer. If you do not have an older version of Office on your computer, skip ahead to the Install Office 2010 section. If you do have an older version of Office on your computer, uninstall it as follows:
Go to the Start button (lower left corner of your screen) and open the Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Open Add or Remove Programs
- Windows Vista/7: Open Programs and Features
- After the list of programs populates, scroll down and click on “Microsoft Office Professional***”
- Click Remove or Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to remove Office.
- Reboot after Office is finished uninstalling.
Install Office 2010
We recommend a custom installation to provide the necessary tools, templates, and text converters you are accustomed to using on your college-owned computer.
- Insert the MS Office DVD. If “autoplay” is enabled on your system, the installation process will start automatically. In Windows Vista/7, you may be prompted to allow the Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper to make changes to the computer – click Yes. If the DVD does not autoplay, browse to the DVD drive (from My Computer (XP) or Computer (Vista/7)) and manually run setup.exe by double clicking on it.
- Enter the Product Key (found on the back of the DVD sleeve) in the space provided to the left of the Continue button. Make sure that Attempt to automatically activate my product online is checked and then click Continue.
- On the next screen, check the box labeled I accept the terms of this agreement, then click Continue.
- On the Choose Installation screen, click on the Customize button.
- Click the down arrow icon next to Microsoft Office at the top of the tree and select Run all from My Computer. This will select all components.
- After selecting all components, you can then go down through the list and remove any individual components that you do not use. Consult the table below for information on each of the available components in Office 2010.
|Office 2010 Component||Description||Recommended|
|Microsoft InfoPath||Electronic Forms||User Choice|
|Microsoft OneNote||Free-form Data Organizer||User Choice|
|Microsoft Outlook||Email Client||User Choice|
|Microsoft Publisher||Desktop Publishing||User Choice|
|Microsoft SharePoint||Workspace Document Collaboration||No|
|Microsoft Visio Viewer||Diagram software (viewer only)||User Choice|
|Microsoft Word||Word Processor||Yes|
|Office Shared Features||Features shared by multiple components||Yes|
|Office Tools||Features shared by multiple components||Yes|
- Click on the down arrow icon next to each component that you do not wish to install and select Not Available.
- Once you have finished customizing your selections, click the Install Now button to begin the installation.
- After the installation has completed, click Close.
- You will be prompted to configure updates for Microsoft Office the first time you open one of the Office programs. We advise selecting the “Recommended Settings” option.