Network Printer Installation on Mac OS X 10.6.x-10.9.x for Employees
Installing the Printer
- On your Mac, click on the Apple Menu and open System Preferences.
- In System Preferences click on Print & Fax (Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners).
- In the window that opens, click on the plus sign (+) button at the bottom of your list of printers. NOTE: If the plus sign button is grayed out, click the lock icon that appears below the plus sign. Login to the system and then click the + again.
- The Add Printer (or Add) window will open. Please refer to the illustration below while following these steps. PLEASE NOTE: The image below is what you'll find in OS 10.9 (Mavericks). Older versions of the OS will show the Protocol line first and the Address line second. Similarly, field names may vary slightly between versions but should be close enough to what is listed here for you to determine which line to use.
- Select the IP icon at the top. Then fill in the settings as follow:
- Address: Enter, printx.hamilton.edu
- Protocol: Select, Line Printer Daemon - LPD
- Queue: Enter the name of the printer – The printer name is typically comprised of the building (or space) name, room number and (typically) the letter A, (unless more than one printer is in the same space) e.g. MPC-A, MPC-B, etc. If you do not know the name of the printer, please call the LITS Help Desk for assistance (859-4181)
- Name: Erase what may be shown and type in the name of the printer. This should be the same as what you entered for the Queue.
- Location: Leave this space blank.
- Print Using (or Use): This may automatically display the correct printer model for your printer. If it does not, click on what is shown and then choose Select Printer Software… (or Select Software...) from the drop down list. Next, scroll down the list of printer models until you find your printer and click to select it. NOTE: In some cases your printer may be included in a "series" (e.g. "HP Laserjet 4300 series" or "HP Laserjet 600 M601 M602 M603").
- Once all of these settings are configured, Click Add.
- You will now be prompted to select the Installable Options (Options or Setting up...) for the printer. Configure the options that are available on your printer and click Continue. In the example below, the printer was equipped with a Duplex Unit. Your printer may not have the same options and you should adjust the settings accordingly. NOTE: The screen you see may be different than what is shown below but it will provide you with the necessary options for configuring your printer. If you do not know what to choose, please call the LITS Help Desk at 859-4181.
- The printer should now appear in your list of printers. While it is highlighted, you should look to see if it is set as the default printer or if it says "Last Printer Used". If it is set as the default and that is not correct, simply click on the printer (in your list of printers) that you want to set as the default and then select "Default printer" for that printer. If you are finished configuring printers, close the Print & Fax (or Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners) window.