On July 1, 1794, Baron Friedrich von Steuben, former inspector general of the Continental Army, accompanied Reverend Kirkland from his house at the base of College Hill Road up the hill to lay the cornerstone of the Hamilton-Oneida Academy. Over the next few years, a wooden structure three stories high was slowly erected on this spot, and in December 1798, classes began to be held in this building. With the chartering of Hamilton College in 1812, the building was renamed Oneida Hall. It was torn down in 1829. Hamilton College’s Class of 1886 donated the monument stone that stands on the site of the original cornerstone.