The Global Learning Office and the Financial Aid Office provide you with support as you plan your study abroad experience.

Study Abroad Application Process

Follow the steps below to help you navigate the study abroad process at Hamilton College.

Follow the instructions Getting Started Page

Set up an appointment with a study abroad advisor through the study abroad planning form.  If you have already met with someone in the Global Learning Office, you can contact your advisor directly or email our office at global@hamilton.edu.

You will apply directly to your study abroad program of choice. You can use the pre-approved list to navigate to program websites. Program applications differ from program to program. The following materials may be requested of you.

  1. The Program Application
    Many programs have rolling admissions, so apply in advance of the deadlines. Programs often are filled before the published deadlines.
  2. Official Transcript
    The Registrar's Office will provide you with your official transcript.
  3. Letters of recommendation  
    Provide your professor or mentor with information about your plans and your program.
  4. Program approval from the Global Learning Office
    Many programs will help you send the notification automatically.  Notifications should be sent to global@hamilton.edu.
  5. Academic Statement or Essay
  6. Copy of Your Passport

In order to study abroad or off-campus on an approved program, you must officially declare your leave of absence by submitting the Declaration of Academic Leave of Absence for Off-Campus Study the semester before your program starts.

Fall Leave of Absence Deadline: Early October
Spring Leave of Absence Deadline: Early March

You must declare your leave of absence by the appropriate deadline even if your program plans have not yet been confirmed.  There is no penalty for withdrawing or changing your leave of absence.

Many Hamilton students who study abroad receive financial aid, and Hamilton College will work with students receiving aid to try to make their study abroad goal achievable.  Make an appointment with Diane Barrett (dbarrett@hamilton.edu) in the Financial Aid Office to talk specifically about your financial aid situation.

Read Studying Off-Campus on the Financial Aid site for a complete explanation.

See Costs & Financial Aid for more information about financing and scholarships.


There are several national study abroad scholarships available to students who need financial support to study overseas.  You can learn more about these scholarship opportunities by visiting the Costs and Financial Aid page.  The Scholarships and Fellowships Coordinator will assist you through the application process.  You can find more information by going to the College's Scholarship and Fellowships site.

Review the Guidelines for Transferring Credit and get instructions on how to complete your Petition for Transferred Credit Form by going to the Transferring Credit page. The Petition for Transferred Credit form is due after you declare your leave of absence. 

Fall Semester: November 1 
Spring Semester: April 1

Several sessions are offered each semester in November and in April.  Pre-departure orientation dates and details are announced to students who submit a Leave of Absence by the appropriate deadline. You need to attend one session. These sessions review information about the study abroad process, deadlines, health and safety, and study abroad travel preparation.  

The Release, Waiver, and Indemnification Agreement are shared with you through the Via TRM study abroad portal in the Forms section once your Leave of Absence is approved.  Check your Via account to access the form.

The $400 million campaign marked the most ambitious fundraising initiative in the College's history.

More About the Campaign's Success

Site Search