Transfer of Credits

Students attending Hamilton College programs (ACC-Beijing, HCAYS, HCJYF, NYSICCSI) do not need to have courses approved for transfer credit. Courses will automatically receive Hamilton credit and will appear on the Hamilton College transcript.
All students attending non-Hamilton College programs MUST pre-approve courses for transfer credit. To see what a completed petition should look like, view a sample of atypical transfer credit petition or a petition for an SIT program.

Courses taken pass-fail will NOT receive transfer credit. Grades must be equivalent to C or higher in order to receive transfer credit.

How to Choose and Pre-approve Courses for Transfer Credit

Step-by-Step Transfer Credit Process

1)      Choose courses following the guidelines above.
2)      Download or pick up and fill out a petition for transferred credit.
3)      Attach information regarding the courses, particularly detailed course descriptions.
4)      Seek signatures for courses in your concentration or minor, and in Math, Computer Science, Physics, Comparative Literature, and Foreign Languages. Other courses can be approved by the Registrar's Office when you submit your form.
5)      Obtain your academic advisor's signature.
6)      Turn in the signed petition and course materials to the Registrar's Office.
7)      When you receive a copy of the approved petition, check to see that ALL courses have been approved. If a course has not been approved, you will not receive credit for it.
8)      Verify the number of credit hours you will need to enroll in to receive 4 Hamilton credits. This will be specified on the form just below the course list. You may need to take more than four course.
9)      Make sure you enroll for the proper number of credit hours when you arrive at your study abroad destination! 
10)      If you complete an independent study, bring the paper back to Hamilton for approval.

What if My Course Schedule Changes?

If you must choose new or additional courses when you arrive at your destination, be sure to follow the guidelines above: liberal arts courses in disciplines taught at the College and that seem substantially similar to Hamilton courses are the ones most likely to be approved.
Notify Kay Klossner ( in the Registrar's Office as soon as possible that you need approval for a new course. Email her the course title, description, number of credit hours, and any other information you think is relevant. She will seek the necessary signatures and notify you whether the course has been approved.
Do NOT plan to wait for approval until you get back to Hamilton! Doing so risks not receiving Hamilton credit for your courses abroad.