Pre-Concentration Advisor Handbook

Pre-Professional Advising

In addition to planning for a concentration, some students will need to make course decisions early based on their career plans. 


Students who wish to pursue graduate work in architecture should meet with Professor Rand Carter (ext. 4268, rcarter).


Business School

Students wishing to pursue graduate study in business should take at least one semester of calculus. Interested students should consult the detailed recommendations for further course work and preparation for an MBA program at the pre-business website.

The pre-business advisor is Professor Ann Owen (ext. 4419, aowen).



Students interested in the 3-2 Engineering Program should plan on taking Math 113-114 and Physics 190 in their first year.

The engineering advisor is Professor Peter Millet (ext. 4706, pmillet).


Graduate School

Students who are considering the possibility of graduate study should keep in mind that graduate schools in some disciplines require a reading knowledge of one foreign language for the master's degree and two for the doctorate. In addition, graduate programs in the sciences and social sciences may require proficiency in mathematics, statistics, or computer usage. Students should consult with faculty members in the disciplines in which they intend to do graduate work.


Health Professions

Refer to pre-medical information. All those considering careers in the health-related professions are encouraged to consult with Leslie North, Coordinator for Health Professions Advising (ext. 4584, lnorth) early in their academic careers.



Hamilton encourages pre-law students to explore a variety of courses throughout the curriculum and to develop an interest in an area that they might like to study in depth. For more information on pre-law advising see the pre-law website.

Members of the Pre-Law Advising Committee are:


Teaching Certification

The minor in Education Studies is recommended for students who are interested in school administration, public policy and education, school counseling, design and development of curriculum, educational assessment, K-12 private school teaching, graduate studies leading to New York State initial teaching certification, requirements for provisional teaching certification in states outside of New York, and other related fields. For more information, contact Susan Mason (ext. 4373, smason@hamilton.edu).