Resources to Help Students prep for Finance Technical Interviews
Compiled September 2019
- Wall Street Prep (WSP) program… offered each year during fall break. For those unable to attend, we now offer WSP online seats to students. Please use the request form so we can keep track of the requests and get them to WSP.
- Accounting (Econ 230)… offered fall semester (even if you audit or take pass/fail). “Accounting serves as the foundation for almost all financial transactions”
- Joshua Rosenbaum and Joshua Pearl. Investment Banking: Valuation, Leveraged Buyouts, and Mergers & Acquisitions. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2009… a large book but very helpful for those who are serious.
- Lott, Tom and Richard Roberts. Vault Career Guide to Investment Banking. New York: Vault, 2011
- Bhatawedekhar, Jacobson, Hamadeh, and Jarvis. Vault Guide to Finance Interviews. New York: Vault, 2011
- McKinsey & Company, Tim Koller, Mark Goedhart and Dave Wessels. Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies. 4th ed., Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2005
- The Economist
- Financial Times newspaper
- The Wall Street Journal newspaper
Additional information and suggestions:
- Tech interviews can start as early as coffee chats during spring semester of sophomore year.
- FY students are encouraged to attend coffee chats even if they are in the early stages of exploring finance
- By sophomore year, students should have a more developed understanding of their interest before participating
- While applications for most junior summer analyst opportunities open around July 1st, applications for diverse candidates open earlier in March/April, although if they are not ready, they can certainly apply again in July.