Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
Critical Need Language Supplement available to students studying a critical need languages.
Students who apply for and receive the Gilman Scholarship to study abroad are now eligible to receive an additional $3,000 Critical Need Language Supplement from the Gilman Program for a total possible award of up to $8,000.
Critical Need Languages include:
- Arabic (all dialects)
- Chinese (all dialects)
- Turkic (Azerbaijani, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Turkish, Turkmen, Uzbek)
- Persian (Farsi, Dari, Kurdish, Pashto, Tajiki)
- Indic (Hindi, Urdu, Nepali, Sinhala, Bengali, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Sindhi)
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States
- Applicants must be recipients of federal Pell Grant funding during the academic term of their application.
- Applicants must be applying to or been accepted for a program of study abroad eligible for credit by Hamilton College. The study abroad program must be country-based in nature. Applicants must not currently be on the study-abroad program for which they are applying.
- Preference is given to students studying abroad in non-traditional locations
- Applicants may not be applying for study in Cuba, nor in any other country which is currently under a Travel Warning issued by the United States Department of State. (Travel Warnings are issued when the State Department recommends that Americans avoid a certain country.)
The Gilman scholarship aims to support a diverse range of students who have been traditionally under-represented in study abroad, including but not limited to:
- students with high financial need,
- students interested in studying in diverse countries, especially those outside of Western Europe and Australia,
- students with diverse ethnic backgrounds,
- students with disabilities.
The program strongly encourages students to choose non-traditional study abroad destinations, especially those outside of Western Europe and Australia. The program encourages students to study abroad for longer periods of time though short-term programs of at least four weeks are eligible.
Gilman Scholarships offer awards up to $5,000 and are available for study abroad for the Fall or Spring semester or for the full academic year.
The deadline for submission of the online application is in October. Applicants will be notified via email of the status of their application in early December.
Visit the Gilman Scholarship website for more information about the fellowship.