Class Gift Chair Description
Class Gift Chairs play a vital role in the life of the College by leading their class in fundraising efforts for the Annual Fund. Their work recruiting and managing a Class Gift Committee results in irreplaceable financial support for College priorities: financial aid, Career Center initiatives, and Hamilton’s speaking- and writing-intensive curriculum.
Gift Chairs are given:
- Membership on the College’s Alumni Council and Class Leadership Committee;
- Access to special events for College volunteers, roundtable conference calls, and more;
- Recognition on the Annual Fund website, in the Honor Roll of Donors and by Class Performance awards;
- Ownership of the legacy of their class on the Hill and — every five years — leadership in reunion planning;
- An inside view of College priorities through personal contact with alumni leaders and Alumni Office staff.
Gift Chairs coordinate at least two classmate outreach periods each year — at the end of the calendar year, and at the end of fiscal year. During this time, Class Gift Chairs will:
- Organize a conference call with their committee before each outreach period to discuss goals and strategy;
- Motivate and support committee members to call, email, message, or text their assignments to encourage them to make a gift;
- Serve as digital ambassadors on social media during special match periods;
- Approve periodic personalized solicitation messages sent to classmates over the signature of the Gift Chair(s);
- Update the Annual Fund Volunteer Site so that the Alumni Office is aware of classmate contact activity;
- Thank classmates who have made a gift to the Annual Fund.
Other Requirements and Responsibilities
- Make a thoughtful annual gift to Hamilton according to personal circumstances, leading by example in recognition of the role of philanthropy in Hamilton’s future.
- Maintain a working knowledge of current College programs, projects and needs.
- Assist staff in identifying and soliciting potential donors, respecting the confidentiality of alumni giving history and activity.
- Update contact information regularly in MyHamilton, the College’s online portal for connecting and interacting with alumni, parents, students, faculty and staff.
- Participate in regional and on-campus alumni activities and events whenever possible.
- Help the Alumni Office identify and train a replacement at the conclusion of Gift Chair service.
- Serve as a constituent member of the Alumni Council and the Class Leadership Committee, making a special effort when possible to return to campus for the Council’s fall and spring meetings, and participating in regional and on-campus alumni activities whenever possible.
To serve on your Class Gift Committee, contact Katie Boyer '93, Associate Director, Annual Giving.
Return to Fund Volunteer home