Policy on Summer 2021 Student Employment
Policy and Process for Requesting Approval
February 21, 2021
Summer employment provides valuable work experiences for students, advances faculty research, and helps recruit future Hamilton students. Unfortunately, given the uncertain progression of the COVID-19 pandemic, Hamilton will need to limit the number of people living and working on campus for summer 2021.
Only currently enrolled Hamilton College students will be hired for summer 2021. Hiring supervisors are asked to consider upper class students who were unable to take advantage of summer employment opportunities in summer 2020 (due to the campus shutdown) as a priority.
Supervisors hiring for work that can be done remotely in summer 2021 should request those student workers through their normal divisional process. As a reminder, students living outside the U.S. cannot be hired for remote work due to legal restrictions.
Requests for on-campus work will be considered by the COVID-19 Task Force on a rolling basis through April 15.
- Supervisors requesting student workers for on-campus work must send a request to the divisional vice president explaining:
- Why the work is essential
- Why it cannot be done remotely
- The benefits to the College and to the student
- If the Vice President approves the request for on-campus work, the request will be forwarded to the COVID-19 Task Force for review. The Task Force will notify the requesting department of the decision.
- If approved, the student hiring process may proceed. Conditions will apply for summer residency.
- Student summer workers must comply with the College’s pandemic protocols, including summer COVID-19 testing requirements. Failure to follow the protocols will result in the summer student worker leaving campus.
- As usual, student summer workers will pay rent for their room on campus or local housing.
- As in previous years, student summer workers will purchase and prepare their own food. We do not anticipate that food service will be operating on campus.