Working on Campus
The number of employees working on campus should be guided by the College’s Alert Level Status. In many divisions, non-essential staff are permitted to work remotely. Faculty members have the option to teach remotely.
- Green, or “COVID Normal” Operating Status: Work on campus according to divisional plans
- Yellow, or Modified Operating Status: <75% staffing on campus
- Orange, or Reduced Operating Status: <50% staffing on campus
- Red, or Minimal Operating Status: Only essential employees should be on campus
- Consider staggered staff schedules to reduce the number of people in the office
- Arrange break periods to limit interaction and avoid the potential for creating close contacts
- Maximize the number of staff members working from home unless it is impossible to perform duties remotely
Departments should assess their workspace and workflow to promote physical distancing. Where necessary, some departments that share space may need to coordinate planning and assessment. Offices, hallways, elevators, conference rooms, common rooms, and break rooms must all be considered. A team composed of members from Environmental Health and Safety, Facilities Management, and Human Resources is available to assist with this process.
- Employees are discouraged from sharing desks or equipment
- Safety signage may be requested from Facilities Management; offices should not create their own signage so that COVID-19 signage is consistent across the campus
- Zoom or similar technologies should continue to be used for meetings and similar gatherings
- Meetings in conference rooms or common areas should be kept to a minimum, and must include face coverings, physical distancing of six feet between each person, and appropriate cleaning of common-touch surfaces by attendees after use
Student Employment for Spring 2021
Students may be employed at Hamilton for the spring 2021 semester provided campus requirements for physically distancing and safe interaction can be met, the position is essential to the department’s operation, and funding is approved. Students studying remotely and residing in the United States may be employed only if the position responsibilities can be done virtually. Students studying remotely and residing in international locations may not be employed with the College due to U.S. government restrictions. Students and supervisors should work with Human Resources and the Student Employment Office for details. Some procedures may be amended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Student Employment for Summer 2021
Hamilton will need to limit the number of people living and working on campus for summer 2021. Only currently enrolled Hamilton College students will be hired for summer 2021.