Fallcoming & Family Weekend '14
October 9-12, 2014
Family Weekend is the highlight of the fall season for students, families and members of the College community. The weekend provides opportunities to attend classes, performances and educational Family Colleges.
Some 1,800 visitors enjoyed musical and dance performances, sat in on classes, viewed posters of students' summer research and shopped in the village of Clinton.
- State of the College Address delivered by President Joan Hinde Stewart.
- Poster sessions where students presented their summer research and discussed their findings.
- Panel Discussion titled “The Struggle for Good in a World of Self-Interest,” with College Chaplain Jeff McArn, the John Stewart Kennedy Professor of Philosophy Rick Werner and Carole Bellini-Sharp, the Margaret Bundy Scott Professor of Theatre.
- Preview of the upcoming Theatre Department production of Bertolt Brecht's The Good Person of Szechwan.
- The Hamilton College Choir and College Hill Singers shared the stage with the Department of Dance and Movement Studies with pieces for full choir and chamber singers and choreography by professors Bruce Walczyk and Elaine Heekin for student dancers.
- The Hamilton College Orchestra, led by guest conductor Ubaldo Valli, and the Jazz Ensemble, under the direction of “Doc” Woods, performed.
- The Ruth and Elmer Wellin Museum of Art was open for the exhibition Frohawk Two Feathers: You Can Fall.
- The Hamilton College Democrats and Republicans debated Obamacare.
- Slideshow of first-year orientation programs, Outreach Adventure and Adirondack Adventure.
- Lecture by Frank Sciacca, associate professor of Russian and David Gapp, the Silas D. Childs Professor of Biology titled “The 1812 Garden to the Shaker Herbal Medicine Garden: A Transition.”
- Readings by students Peter Bresnan ’15, Lisa Labate ’14, Sarah Sgro ’14, Felicia Tsao ’16, and Kina Viola ’14, who have won College prizes for their creative writing.
- A performance of Upright Citizens Brigade Touring Company.
- Brunch on the Village Green with the Clinton merchants.