A retired banker, was born on January 11, 1938, in New York City. The son of Leland G., a chemicals salesman, and Anna Marble Vincent, he grew up in Connecticut, where he prepared for college at the Taft School in Watertown. Charles Vincent, known as “Chick,” came to the Hill from New Canaan in 1956. He joined Chi Psi and participated for four years in cross country and track. Vice president of the Block H Club, he also directed the campus film program. Majoring in history, he was graduated in 1960.
Chick Vincent went on to the school of Advanced International Studies at the John Hopkins University, where he acquired his M.A. degree in 1962. Initially employed in advertising with the Batten, Barton, Durstine & Osborn agency, he quickly turned to banking. He became an investment analyst with the State National Bank of Connecticut and was later an investment officer with the Bank of New York and the Fidelity Bank in Philadelphia. In 1980 he began a two-decade-long career with Provident National Bank (later PNC Bank), also in Philadelphia. He was the bank’s vice president of equity research when he retired in 1999.
Married on July 8, 1967, to Susan M. Madden in New York City, Chick Vincent was left a widower following her death in 1996. Upon his retirement, he moved from Strafford, PA, to Round Pond, ME, where he hoped to “catch up on some reading and plan the landscaping of my new home.” Active in local Republican politics in his younger days and twice elected township judge of elections, he remained involved in his community in retirement as an active volunteer with the Round Pond United Methodist Church. Intrigued by railroading since his youth, he also continued as an assiduous collector of all manner of things related to trains.
Charles M. Vincent, a loyal alumnus, died on November 4, 2011, while hospitalized in Lewiston, ME. He is survived by a son, Leland G. Vincent II, and two grandsons.
Return to Top
A longtime professor of psychology at Queens College on Long Island, grew up in Middletown, NY, where he was born on September 7, 1938. His parents were Basil V., an automobile parts manager, and Lucille Kindred Cole. Brett Cole, who had battled tuberculosis as a teenager, came to Hamilton from Middletown High School in 1957. A member of Lambda Chi Alpha, he unobtrusively pursued his studies on the Hill for four years and was graduated in 1961.
Brett Cole went on to earn an M.A. degree and, in 1968, a Ph.D. in experimental psychology from Columbia University. Married to the former Jeanne Dahl, he already held a professorship at Queens College at that time. The College has no information on his academic career except for a note in a brief newspaper obituary indicating that at the time of his death he had taught at Queens “for over 35 years.”
The College only recently learned of Brett K. Cole’s death on December 11, 2004. A resident of Glen Cove, NY, he was survived by two daughters, Alison M. and Emily Cole.
Return to Top
Who practiced surgery in Brunswick, GA, was born in Brooklyn, NY, on April 1, 1941. His parents were Charlton B., a carpenter who died when his son was still young, and Agnes Muir Futch (later Greenlaw), a telephone operator. “Chuck” Futch came to College Hill in 1958 from Suffield Academy in Connecticut. He joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, sang with the Choir, and played intramural hockey. With a deep-seated commitment to a career as a physician and surgeon since his youth, he pursued premedical studies and was graduated in 1962. That same year, he and Anne Morris were married in Katonah, NY.
Chuck Futch gained admission to the University of Virginia School of Medicine, where he received his M.D. degree in 1966. From 1967 to 1969, he served in the U.S. Navy Medical Corps and attained the rank of lieutenant commander. Thereafter, he served his internship and surgical residency at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City. In 1974, after two years of practice in Huntington, Long Island, he moved to St. Simon’s Island, GA, and established his surgical practice in nearby Brunswick. During his medical career as a thoracic, vascular, and general surgeon there, Dr. Futch served on the surgical staff of Southeast Georgia Medical Center and became its chief of surgery and director of its surgical intensive care unit. He also became vice president of its staff and chaired its transfusion, trauma and disaster, and quality assurance and utilization review committees. In addition, he established the Advanced Cardio Life Support program in Southeast Georgia to train emergency medical responders. A fellow of the American College of Surgeons, he retired in 1997.
Dr. Futch, known for his lively sense of humor and fondness for nature and the outdoors, also enjoyed spending time on the golf course as well as gardening around his home. He maintained his lifelong love of singing as a member of the choir of Christ (Episcopal) Church Frederica on St. Simon’s Island.
Charlton B. Futch died at his home on St. Simon’s on October 2, 2011. He is survived by his wife of 49 years. Also surviving are three sons, Jeffrey, Jonathan, and Jason Futch, and six grandchildren.
Return to Top
Who practiced obstetrics and gynecology in Concord, NH, for 26 years, was born on July 15, 1940, in Cooperstown, NY. A son of Maurice P., a public schools physical education director, and Irene May Weber Hamilton, an elementary school teacher, “Gerry” Hamilton grew up in Endwell, NY, near Binghamton. He arrived on College Hill following his graduation from Union-Endicott High School in 1958 and joined Alpha Delta Phi. Already with a medical career in mind, he proved to be an excellent student, especially of biology and chemistry, and became a laboratory assistant in the chemistry department. He also compiled an outstanding record in athletic activities, including varsity track and swimming, and serving as captain of the soccer team. Scholastic chairman of the Alpha Delt house, he earned the high regard of Associate Dean Sidney Wertimer, who appointed him as a resident advisor to freshmen in Dunham Dormitory during his junior and senior years. Despite all those activities, he managed to sandwich in occasional rubbers of bridge.
Gerry Hamilton, winner of the Clark Prize Oration, was graduated with honors in biology and public speaking in 1962. With the “strongest endorsement” of Dean Winton Tolles, he enrolled in the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University. Awarded his M.D. degree in 1966, he was wed to Maryann M. Meehan in Newburgh, NY, on June 4 of that year. They would be divorced in 1979.
After a year as an intern in OB/GYN at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, NY, Dr. Hamilton served a five-year residency in that specialty at Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. It was followed in 1972 by two years on active duty with U.S. Air Force Medical Corps. Discharged as a major, he began his practice of OB/GYN at Concord Clinic. Five years later, in 1979, he established his own practice in Concord. In 1980, with his second wife, Christina F. Kuhlman-Hamilton, a certified nurse midwife whom he wed that year, he established New Hampshire’s first independent birthing center. Highly regarded for his care and concern for the needs of his patients, he retired from his practice in 2000.
Dr. Hamilton, former chairman of the OB/GYN department at Concord Hospital and medical director of family planning and prenatal programs for the New Hampshire Department of Public Health, chaired the board of the Concord Feminist Health Center during his retirement. Known for his “wicked” sense of humor, he took pleasure in collecting coins and fossils as well as kayaking, and was a fan of sports of virtually any kind.
Gerald L. Hamilton, a loyally supportive alumnus, was still residing in Concord when he died on August 21, 2011. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a son from his first marriage, Christopher I. Hamilton, and a brother, Maurice B. Hamilton.
Return to Top
Who retired after a distinguished 30-year career with the U.S. Agency for International Development, was born on July 31, 1939, in Toronto, Canada. The son of Bruce F., a metallurgical engineer, and Helen Davidson Richardson, he was a graduate in 1957 of Glebe Collegiate Institute in Ottawa, Ontario. That year, “Rich” Richardson, who had been a Queen’s Scout and a Royal Canadian Sea Cadet, moved to the United States with his family when his father found employment with Utica Drop Forge & Tool Corp. in New York Mills, not far from the College. He entered Hamilton that same year from Utica as a commuting student. A member of the Squires Club, he majored in anthropology and left the Hill with his A.B. degree in 1962.
Robert Richardson subsequently entered the Peace Corps and was assigned to Senegal, West Africa. Thereafter he became a Foreign Service officer, and one of his first postings in connection with the Agency for International Development (the federal agency primarily responsible for administering civilian foreign aid) was to the American Embassy in Mali in 1966. In the ensuing years he served as a USAID officer in numerous countries, often for brief periods, such as one month in Egypt, another in Liberia, and a third in Pakistan, all in rapid succession. Among his many assignments over the years were director of the commodity support program in Zaire (1977); regional supply management advisor to Central American governments, stationed in Guatemala (1981); and commodity management advisor to the Egyptian government (1983). In 1988, he took charge of all the Agency’s commodity procurement activities, a responsibility he retained until his retirement in 1995.
Robert Richardson, the first employee of the USAID to receive the American Foreign Service Association’s Christian A. Herter Award, in 1994, honoring “senior diplomats who speak out or otherwise challenge the status quo,” worked with various consulting firms in the Washington, DC, area following his retirement. In 2003, he moved to Charleston, SC, where he became involved in local politics and wrote accounts of his overseas activities.
Robert B. Richardson died in Charleston on April 24, 2011. He was predeceased in 2010 by his wife, the former Madeleine Baranton, whom he had married in 1972 in Nevers, France. Surviving are two sons, Christopher and Nicholas Richardson; a daughter, Julie Richardson; and two sisters.
Return to Top
For 31 years a high school history teacher in his hometown of Kenmore, NY, was born in nearby Buffalo on October 10, 1941. The son of Harry E. ’36, a machine-tool company executive and Town of Tonawanda official, and Dorothy Trombley Goss, he was graduated in 1959 from Kenmore Senior High School, where he had played varsity football. Bill Goss entered Hamilton that year and joined Alpha Delta Phi. He earned his diploma in 1963, majoring in history, and later acquired a master’s degree in that subject from the University of Buffalo.
Bill Goss began his long career in education in 1967, when he was hired to teach social studies at Kenmore West High School. He remained on its faculty until his retirement in 1998. During those years he became known for his energetic style of teaching and for his dedication to his students. He also coached Kenmore West’s junior varsity football team for five years and served for two decades as announcer for the school’s football games. In addition, he was instrumental in the founding of Kenmore West’s Faculty Senate and served as its chairman for a time.
In retirement, Bill Goss enjoyed travel with his wife, the former Ann Marie Mars, as well as ardently following the fortunes of the Buffalo Bills. He was also for many years a Meals on Wheels volunteer and received an award from the Food Shuttle of Western New York for his dedicated service.
Long ill, William T. Goss died at his home in the Town of Tonawanda on August 5, 2011. Predeceased by his wife in 2005, he is survived by three sons, Tim, Sean, and Michael Goss; a daughter, Kathleen Goss; and grandchildren as well as a sister, Patricia Duncan.
Return to Top
A Berkeley, CA, resident and a veteran of the Peace Corps, was born in Utica, NY, on March 16, 1944. The son of Norman G., assistant controller of the College, and Dorothy McComb Lewis, he was a year old when his mother died. He grew up in Clinton, reared by his father and stepmother, Lucy Case Lewis, and enrolled at Hamilton from Clinton Central School in 1962. He became a member of Chi Psi and later served as vice president of its lodge. Having majored in history, he was graduated in 1966.
Immediately thereafter, John Lewis joined the Peace Corps. After three months of training in San Francisco, CA, he spent two years in Niger, West Africa. “With a horse as his primary form of transportation,” he helped develop agricultural cooperatives among the peanut farmers of that impoverished nation. After returning to San Francisco for graduate study, he met Marion Murphy, and they were married in 1969. He settled down with his bride in the Bay area and worked for the San Francisco Water District. Known for his generous nature and engaging sense of humor, he was devotedly committed to his family.
John M. Lewis died while hospitalized in Oakland, CA, of a systemic infection, on August 15, 2011. Predeceased by his wife, he is survived by two sons, Zack and Luke Lewis; a daughter, Teyah Lewis; and two grandsons and a sister, Janet H. Lewis.
Return to Top
A building contractor, was born on May 23, 1948, and reared in Penn Yan, in New York’s Finger Lakes region. A son of John W., a rural mail carrier, and Margaret Potts Mills, a legal secretary, he came to Hamilton in 1965 from Penn Yan Academy and joined Delta Kappa Epsilon. David Mills, known as “Fuzzy,” majored in economics and mathematics, and was graduated in 1969.
That year, Fuzzy Mills entered the management training program at First Trust & Deposit Co. in Syracuse, NY, and soon became a methods-operator analyst. He was employed in the claims department of Penn Yan Express when he and Deborah L. Fisher were married in Penn Yan on September 27, 1975. The couple subsequently resided in Florida before returning to Penn Yan. There, Fuzzy became known as “the Valley Builder,” a respected area contractor.
Active in the 1st Presbyterian Church of Penn Yan, Fuzzy Mills was in addition a member of the Krewe of Carrollton and rode for 18 years on New Orleans Mardi Gras floats. His obituary also noted that he had a “contagious sense of joy and a love of life,” and had earned recognition for his willingness “to help anyone in need.”
David F. Mills was still residing in his hometown when he died on May 26, 2011, while hospitalized in Syracuse. In addition to his wife of 35 years and his mother, he is survived by a daughter, Alison Mills; two sons, Cameron and Brady Mills; and a sister and a brother. He was previously married, in 1970, to Dorothy M. Huber.
Return to Top
A long-term care consultant and former health care administrator, was born on March 5, 1947, in Boston, MA. The youngest child and only son of Edmund A. Steimle, a Lutheran minister and distinguished theologian, and the former Rosalind Ball, he grew up in Philadelphia, PA, where his father taught at the Lutheran Theological Seminary, and later in New York City, when the elder Steimle, who received an honorary L.H.D. degree from Hamilton in 1974, served as Brown Professor of Homiletics at Union Theological Seminary. Young Steimle, known to all as “Chip,” prepared for college at Milton Academy in Massachusetts and enrolled at Hamilton in 1965. Handsomely blond and athletic, he joined Delta Upsilon and went out for football. Although academic challenges were to curtail his extracurricular activities, he managed to graduate from the College on schedule as a fine arts major in 1969, thanks in part to the understanding concern of Dean Winton Tolles.
Chip Steimle returned to his native Boston, where he found employment as an underwriter with Liberty Mutual Insurance Co. Married on April 17, 1971, to (Helen) Michaela “Micky” O’Callahan, a teacher of English, he soon gravitated into the health care field. From a unit manager at Massachusetts General Hospital, he became an assistant director at South Shore Hospital in South Weymouth and a vice president of New England Baptist Hospital in Boston. In 1993, Chip Steimle, who acquired an M.B.A. degree from Suffolk University in 1976, was appointed director of operations for long-term care services in Massachusetts by Mediplex Group, a national provider of such services. A year later, he joined ADS Long Term Care Group as vice president for operations. In 2005, he drew upon his more than 30 years of experience in compassionately caring for the elderly to found Seniors Considered, dedicated to helping them cope with the transition to long-term care.
A man who was ever-smiling, prone to indulge in pranks, and seemed to enjoy life to the fullest, Chip Steimle was “a consummate family guy and a great friend” who could be counted upon to be the life of any party. It was he who came up with the appropriate toast and “kitschy” poem for every occasion.
On June 8, 2011, Edmund A. Steimle, Jr. was shopping at a convenience store near his home in Marshfield, MA, when, without warning, he collapsed and died of heart failure. In addition to his wife of 40 years, he is survived by two daughters, Kimberly Steimle and Erin Brooks, and a grandson and a sister.
Return to Top