William Allen Bush '50, a longtime resident of New York City, was born on May 21, 1928, in Tuxedo, NY. A son of Harrison O. and Mary Walker Allen Bush, he grew up in Sloatsburg, NY, bordering on New Jersey, and came to Hamilton in 1946 from Suffern High School, where he was graduated as first in his class. He joined Tau Kappa Epsilon, played in the College Band, and focused on foreign language studies, in which he excelled. Known for his sartorial elegance and sophisticated humor, he was awarded the Winslow Prize in Romance Languages and received his diploma with honors in French in 1950.
Intending to pursue a career in teaching, Bill Bush went on to graduate study in French at Yale University. The College has no information about his subsequent activities except that he resided for decades on Morton Street in Greenwich Village, traveled extensively abroad, especially in Europe, and according to his newspaper obituary, was a veteran of the U.S. Army.
William A. Bush, who faithfully contributed to the Annual Fund over the years, died on October 23, 2008. He is survived by a brother, Harrison Bush, and a sister, Gertrude Hewitt, as well as nephews and nieces.
Donald Spencer Carter '50, a retired metallurgist, was born on April 25, 1928, in North Adams, MA. A son of Charles W. and Harriet Miner Carter, he came to Hamilton in 1946 from Palmyra, NY, as a graduate of Palmyra High School. He joined Tau Kappa Epsilon as well as the College Band and the Choir. Known for his "salty Anglo-Saxon humor" along with his "fine ability to get things done," as reported in The Hamiltonian, he majored in chemistry and mathematics, and was awarded his diploma in 1950.
Briefly employed as a laboratory technician by Crouse-Hinds Co., manufacturers of electrical products, in Syracuse, Don Carter was called into the U.S. Army during the Korean War and served as a corporal in the Quartermaster Corps. In 1952, after two years in uniform, he returned to Crouse-Hinds. On October 25 of that year, he was married in Syracuse to Judith P. Greenleaf. The couple would have two children, James D. and Linda Anne Carter.
In 1954, the Carters moved to Watertown, where Don became a foundry metallurgist with the New York Air Break Co. By 1965, his marriage having ended in divorce, he moved on, as a foundry quality-control engineer, to Westinghouse Air Break Co., manufacturers of railroad equipment, in Wilmerding, PA. He was subsequently employed as chief metallurgist by Cummins Engine Co. in South Bend, IN, and concluded his career with Hill & Griffith Foundry Supply, also in Indiana, retiring in 1993.
Donald S. Carter, long a resident of the Indianapolis suburb of Brownsburg, died at his house on April 22, 2009. Among survivors are his wife, Marion Carter, two stepsons, and two brothers, including Paul D. Carter '56.
Return to Top
Thomas Devereux Gregory '50, a retired telephone company supervisor and later executive director of the Cape Cod chapter of the American Red Cross, was born on December 12, 1926, in Worcester, MA. A son of Joseph V., a life insurance agent, and Estelle Youngling Gregory, he grew up in New Rochelle, NY, where he attended Iona Preparatory School. Shortly after his graduation in 1944, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served in the Pacific theater with a fleet radio intelligence unit through the end of World War II. Discharged in the summer of 1946, he enrolled at Hamilton that fall. With him on the Hill at the same time were his brothers and fellow veterans, Richard F. '48 and Donald J. Gregory '50, and like them, he became a member of the Emerson Literary Society.
Tom Gregory, with an ever-ready smile and friendly greeting, soon became involved in a variety of campus activities. Active in the Newman Club, he served on the Interfraternity Council and was president of the Student Council in his senior year. A talented and versatile athlete, he performed outstandingly as a goalie on the soccer team, and played basketball for four years as well as golf in the spring. Named captain of the golf team, he also served as treasurer of the Block H Club. Elected to D.T., Was Los, and Pentagon, he was graduated in 1950 with department honors in psychology.
That fall, Tom Gregory began his working career as a sales representative for the National Carbon Division of Union Carbide & Carbon Corp. in Atlanta, GA. He was soon engaged to Priscilla D. Patch, and their wedding took place on July 7, 1951, in New Rochelle. The following year, the couple took up residence in North Village when Tom returned to College Hill as assistant director of admissions, working with Sidney B. Bennett '28. During his three years in that post, he initiated the sub-freshman program designed to interest high school seniors in Hamilton.
Tom Gregory resigned in 1955 to join New York Telephone Co. in Utica. For the next 30 years until his retirement, he took on various assignments in upstate New York and in New York City, especially in the areas of customer service and personnel. Among the posts he held were business office manager in Utica, personnel supervisor in Albany, assistant personnel director in Buffalo, district manager in Manhattan, and supervisor of commercial operations in Brooklyn. During his last six years with American Telephone & Telegraph Co., he was part of an anti-trust litigation group, spending a great deal of time as "a well paid gofer" for lawyers preparing to defend the Bell System against the lawsuits brought by the Department of Justice and commercial rivals. By the time of his retirement in 1984, he had witnessed with sadness the demise of the Bell System.
By that time, Tom and Pat Gregory had sold their home in Chatham, NJ, where they had resided since 1964, and bought an 1845 Greek Revival "old sea captain's house" in South Yarmouth on Cape Cod. There Tom quickly became involved in community affairs, and in 1985 he was appointed executive director of the Cape chapter of the American Red Cross. After 3½ successful years in that post, however, he had to resign for reasons of health following surgery.
Throughout his career, Tom Gregory took a highly active role in his community as a volunteer with social service and sports organizations in addition to his church. He coached for the Chatham Little League, served on the parish council of St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church in Chatham, and was an active Rotarian for over 40 years. Also, as a devoted alumnus, he contributed his time to the College and his class as president of the Northern New Jersey and Cape Cod Alumni Associations, vice president of the Society of Alumni, and as class president and reunion chairman. His devotion to Hamilton was inspired by fond memories of college days, such as the time he and a few friends, prompted by the Professor Robert B. "Bobo" Rudd's casual remark in class that he wouldn't mind getting rid of his desk because he kept snagging his suit coat on it, took the desk and actually threw it into the bonfire preceding the game with Union!
Aside from his many volunteer activities, Tom Gregory enjoyed refurnishing furniture and playing bridge and poker. He also loved to swim, especially in the ocean, and took up golf again in retirement. In addition, as a history buff, he was particularly fond of reading presidential biographies.
Thomas D. Gregory, who was last residing in Yarmouth Port, MA, died on January 27, 2009. Besides his wife of 57 years, he is survived by three sons, Thomas D. Jr., Joseph V., and James M. Gregory; a daughter, Ann Colligan; and five grandchildren and his two brothers, Donald and Richard. He was predeceased by another brother, Robert.
Return to Top
Bradley House Roberts '50, whose distinguished career in the advertising field extended through 30 years, was born on January 23, 1927, in New Rochelle, NY. The son of Ernest H., Class of 1913, also an advertising executive as New England manager for Hearst Publications, and Grace Notton Roberts, he prepared for college at Governor Dummer Academy in Massachusetts. After his graduation a few months before the end of World War II, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy. He served for a year as a coxswain and was discharged in 1946.
Brad Roberts came to Hamilton from Wellesley Hills, MA, that fall and joined his father's fraternity, Alpha Delta Phi. He went out for football as well as lacrosse during that sport's first season on the Hill, and also played hockey. Described by The Hamiltonian as "quiet, sincere, and earnest," and known for his aged automobiles, he majored in economics and helped meet his expenses by selling men's shoes door to door in Clinton. He soon learned that advertising paid off with increased sales as a result of his direct mailings to prospective buyers.
Following his graduation in 1950, Brad Roberts moved to Chicago to join Swift & Co. as a brand manager in its advertising department. On October 21, 1950, he was married to Jean Hypes, his college sweetheart and sister of William P. Hypes '46, in Glencoe, IL. After two years in Chicago, he returned to the East Coast and spent three years in North Carolina in sales with Earle-Chesterfield Mill Co. and as commercial manager for radio and TV station WLOS, both in Asheville. In 1956, he went back to Chicago and was with the Compton Advertising Agency before moving on to Needham, Louis & Brorby (later Needham, Harper & Steers) in 1957. As an account executive, he worked with such corporations as Quaker Oats, Lever Brothers, Campbell's Soup, and Morton Salt.
Elected vice president of Needham in 1962, Brad Roberts was a senior account director when he was named to the agency's board of directors in 1965. Soon asked to open up and head Needham's office in Los Angeles, primarily to service a new account with Continental Airlines, he took up residence on the West Coast that year. While there, as an executive vice president of Needham, he introduced the Honda Civic, Prelude, and Accord automobiles to the American public while also spending large amounts of time in Australia, Japan, and Singapore. In addition, he acquired such new clients as Columbia Pictures, Northrop Corp., Xerox, and Crocker National Bank. He resigned as vice chairman of the parent company and president of Needham West in 1981, following internal dissension and having turned down the post of "director of corporate planning," an alleged promotion, as "so much eyewash."
During a quarter-century with Needham, Harper & Steers, Brad Roberts contributed greatly to the agency's growth and success. He had acquired a reputation as an outstanding leader within the advertising field and was known in the profession as "Mr. Advertising" on the West Coast. In 1979, he was named Advertising Leader of the Year by the Western States Advertising Agencies Association. A colleague, at the time of his retirement from Needham, wrote: "Those of us who have had the great privilege to work with Brad know that he wasn't only a superb ad professional but also one of the nicest human beings — and that says a lot in a business where bruised egos are a daily occurrence."
During his career, Brad Roberts was not only actively involved in professional organizations but also in the community. He was a founding director of the Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center and a director of Junior Achievement of Southern California, and he sat on the advisory board of the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. A dedicated Hamiltonian and loyal and generous supporter of the College, he also served as president of the Southern California Alumni Association.
In 1983, Brad Roberts moved to Nevada, to the shores of Lake Tahoe. He later built a house in Reno, where his interest became centered on the University of Nevada, Reno. He served as a trustee of its foundation and chaired university committees. An advocate for higher education in the state, he was instrumental in promoting efforts to enhance its economic development and diversification to reduce dependence on gambling and tourism through educational means. He also taught advertising courses at the University, and chaired the advisory board of the Nevada Small Business Development Centers. In recognition of his contributions, he was awarded the University of Nevada, Reno's Presidential Medal in 1996.
Except for two years in Washington, DC, as executive vice president and Washington office director (read lobbyist) of the American Association of Advertising Agencies in 1985-86, Brad Roberts remained a Nevada resident for the rest of his life. While in Washington, he met Vivian E. Goodier, a fellow lobbyist, "the best in town," and they were married in 1986. His first wife had died in 1971, and a second marriage, in the 1970s, proved short-lived. While residing near Lake Tahoe, he enjoyed skiing, squash, tennis, and writing. His account of various paranormal encounters and explorations was published as Always More Than Meets the Eye in 2002.
Bradley H. Roberts, treasured by associates and friends as a "man of character, integrity, and always first with a smile," died in Reno on February 13, 2009, of complications from a rare bacteria infection. In addition to his wife Vivian, known as "Chickie," he is survived by a son and two daughters from his first marriage, Bradley H. Roberts, Jr., Barbara (Kim) Gainza, and Sarah Zander. Also surviving are four grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
John Hays Talley '50, a retired clinical psychologist, was born on December 26, 1925, in Syracuse, NY. A son of Claude H., an investment broker, and Grace Hays Talley, he grew up in Syracuse, where he was graduated in 1943 from Central High School. In the fall of 1946, after two years in the U.S. Army, having served in the European theater during the final phase of World War II, John Talley enrolled at Hamilton. The former sergeant joined the throng of veterans flooding college campuses in the wake of the war. He became a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon and participated in the post-war revival of radio station WHC. He also played on the varsity baseball and football teams. One of his fondest college memories was the baseball team's southern trip in the spring of 1948, a disastrous venture for the Continentals athletically but made fun by the unfailing good humor of Hamilton's coach, Roswell "Hap" Rudd.
John Talley left the Hill with his diploma in 1950, and after a year as an insurance investigator and credit clerk, he began his career in education as an elementary teacher at Pebble Hill Country Day School in the Syracuse suburb of DeWitt. On June 13, 1953, he and Mary Lou Brewer were wed in Syracuse. In 1955, he obtained an M.A. degree in education from Syracuse University and joined the faculty of Moses DeWitt Elementary School. Two years later, having acquired state certification in guidance and counseling, he moved to Rome, NY, and became an elementary guidance counselor for the Rome City School District. He remained with the District until 1970, when he was appointed as a clinical psychologist at the Rome Developmental Center, a state institution for the mentally handicapped. He held that post, serving as an occupational therapist, until his retirement in 1986.
As a resident of Rome, John Talley was active in the community in numerous volunteer capacities. He served for many years as a literacy volunteer and tutor in basic reading and mathematics. He was also long involved in youth sports programs as a coach with the Rome Little League and Fort Stanwix Youth Hockey Association. A deacon and former elder and Sunday school teacher at the First Presbyterian Church in Rome, he engaged in a variety of leisure-time activities as well, including golf, tennis, swimming, and cross-country skiing. He also enjoyed travel, especially in connection with his genealogical interests.
John H. Talley, an ever faithful and generous supporter of the College, died in Rome on March 29, 2009. In addition to his wife of 55 years, he is survived by two daughters, Martha L. and Ruth E. Talley; three sons, John D., James R., and Paul B. Talley; and four grandchildren and his brother, Samuel H. Talley '53.
Return to Top
David Lacey Davis '53, a former country club manager, was born on February 28, 1931, in Brooklyn, NY. A son of David F., a public relations manager, and Dorothy Lacey Davis, he prepared for college at Cooperstown (NY) Academy and entered Hamilton in 1949 from Bedford Hills. Dave Davis joined Sigma Phi, went out for soccer, played squash, and lettered in baseball. Tapped for the fun-loving social group Nous Onze, he was awarded his diploma in 1954.
Drafted that year into military service, Dave Davis spent two years in the U.S. Air Force and was posted to Toul-Rosières Air Base in France. On August 6, 1955, while stationed in Europe, he was married to Irma Husmann, his Hamilton house party date, in Neuenburg, Germany. Following his discharge from the Air Force in 1956, he found employment with the Roger Smith Hotels Corp. During his four years in various locations with that company, he rose from steward to food and beverage controller to assistant manager. Thereafter he switched to club management, becoming assistant manager of the Greenwich Country Club in Connecticut.
After its clubhouse caught fire and burned down in 1961, Dave Davis worked at a series of other clubs, including the Algonquin City Club in Bridgeport, CT, Fiddler's Elbow Country Club in Far Hills, NJ, Pelham Country Club in Pelham, NY, and Seaview Country Club in Absecon, NJ. In 1969, he returned to central New York as manager of the Yahnundasis Golf Club in New Hartford, and took up residence in Clinton. Over the years he had taken courses at Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration, becoming a certified club manager.
In 1973, Dave Davis left club management to pursue a new line of work as owner and operator for two years of Double "D" Ranch Restaurant in Kirkland. Thereafter he served as a restaurant consultant and, as an ardent numismatist, a dealer in U.S. coins. In 1984, the Davises pulled up stakes and moved to the east side of Lake George to enjoy retirement. In 2000, however, they came back to Clinton to settle permanently.
Active through the years in community affairs, Dave Davis served as president of several organizations, including the Fort Ann Rotary Club and Pilot Knob Association at Lake George, as well as the Empire State Numismatic Association. In addition, he had been alumni president of the Sigma Phi house at Hamilton. A Rotarian Paul Harris Fellow and onetime Pilot Knob volunteer fireman, he was also a former secretary and vestry member of St. James Episcopal Church in Lake George. His leisure activities included countless games of cribbage and an occasional round of golf.
David L. Davis, a faithful alumnus, died on May 26, 2009, while hospitalized in New Hartford. In addition to his wife of 53 years, he is survived by four sons, Gregg H., D. Chad '81, Douglas G., and James L. Davis. Also surviving are seven grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
Henry Francis Szarowicz '53, who taught science, primarily biology, at the Sauquoit Valley (NY) Central School for 35 years, was born in nearby Utica on May 12, 1931. A son of Frank Szarowicz, a mechanic, and the former Jane Dulemba, he was graduated from Utica Free Academy and would remain a resident of Utica throughout his life. "Hank" Szarowicz enrolled at Hamilton in 1949 and became a member of Lambda Chi Alpha. Credited by The Hamiltonian with "a great sense of humor and a flair for hard work," he diligently pursued pre-medical studies, inspired by the hope of becoming a physician. Active in the Biology Club, he also served as treasurer of the Newman Club. He was graduated in 1953.
His plans for a career in medicine soon thwarted, however, Hank Szarowicz took up teaching biology at the Sauquoit Valley Central School instead. In 1960, he added to his credentials an M.S. degree in science education from Syracuse University. During his long tenure at the Sauquoit school, he chaired its science department and also served as its science coordinator. In addition, during the 1950s he obtained National Science Foundation grants to pursue summer study at Indiana University, Adelphi College (now University), and the University of Connecticut.
Hank Szarowicz, who in addition assisted the teacher-training program at the State University of New York at Oneonta for many years, serving as an observer of student-teachers, retired as head of Sauquoit Valley's science department in 1989. In retirement, he continued to consult for SUNY, Oneonta, and in 1994 his contributions were recognized with its Exemplary Service Award in Secondary Education. At Sauquoit Valley, where he introduced advanced biology to the curriculum for the first time, the Honor Society is named after him.
Henry F. Szarowicz, known for his "kindness and gentle ways," found leisure-time enjoyment in golfing and stamp collecting. He remained a faithful and generous supporter of the College until the end of his life. He died unexpectedly in his native Utica on March 9, 2009. Unmarried, he is survived by a sister, Mary Jane Valentine, and a niece and nephews.
Return to Top
John Saunders Watts '55, for many years a manager in the insurance field, was born on April 2, 1934, and grew up in California. The son of Wayman S., who died when John was three years old, and Doris Ryder Watts, a librarian, he was reared by his mother in Long Beach. Influenced by his grandfather, a Dartmouth graduate, he decided at an early age to come East to college. He chose Hamilton and arrived on the Hill as "a very young freshman" following his graduation in 1951 from Polytechnic High School in Long Beach. He soon encountered academic difficulties but nonetheless persevered for four semesters. Captain of his high school's tennis team, he lettered in the sport while on the Hill and also enjoyed campus social life as a member of Theta Delta Chi.
At the end of his sophomore year, John Watts regretfully transferred to Colorado College. After graduation he spent "some fun time with Uncle Sam" and then went on to graduate study at the University of California, Los Angeles. Engaged in the insurance business for most of his career, he managed offices, divisions, and profit centers for national insurance brokers. He also sat on the boards of several companies and was "one of the lucky early Silicone Valley investors."
John Watts retired in the mid-1990s and moved from Newport Beach to Palm Desert, CA, where he oversaw property management and played "uninspiring" golf and tennis. In summer he could often be found "on the cold slopes of Vail and Tahoe."
John S. Watts, who remained devoted to Hamilton, was still residing in Palm Desert when he died on May 7, 2008, as verified by Social Security records. The College has no information regarding survivors except that in 2005 he reported that he was married and had three children and seven grandchildren.
Return to Top
Peter Eckel '56, a sales manager and later a real estate broker on the West Coast, was born on August 1, 1934, in Solvay, NY. The son of Jacob E., a steel company executive, and Rhea Doyle Eckel, an educator who became president of Cazenovia College, Pete Eckel grew up in the Syracuse area and was graduated from Solvay High School, where he was both a student leader and co-captain of the basketball team. He followed his father's educational path to the University of Notre Dame, but decided after a year that he preferred a smaller college, one with a less specialized curriculum. Heeding his mother's suggestion, he transferred to Hamilton in 1952, entering from Skaneateles, NY.
Pete Eckel, also known for somewhat complicated reasons having to do with his 6'3" height, as "Turkey," and credited with "amazing natural wit," quickly established himself as a campus leader and basketball stand-out. On the ball court he demonstrated a "fantastic ability to make a difficult shot look easy" and to "execute incredible fakes and passes," as noted in The Hamiltonian. Chosen co-captain of the team in his senior year, he had also won the Campbell Basketball Award. He served on the Athletic Council and as secretary of the Intramural Council, became president of the Block H Club, and found time to do sports announcing as well. In addition, he was treasurer of the Student Council and chaired student committees. A member of Alpha Delta Phi and tapped by Was Los, he concluded his college career by being elected president of the senior class.
Pete Eckel departed for California soon after his graduation as an economics major in 1956. There he went to work for Anaconda Wire & Cable Co. in Orange, where he held a variety of posts ranging from industrial engineering to product control and personnel, and took on special assignments. He remained with the company for seven years. In 1963, he briefly returned to New York State to be married to Janice Baltusnik, an actress known as Jan D'Arcy, on April 27 in Munnsville. He was subsequently employed as a manufacturer's representative and as a corporate sales manager.
By 1971, Peter Eckel had moved to the Seattle, WA, area, where he took up real estate sales while residing in Bellevue and rearing his increasing number of children with his wife Jan. He became an associate broker with Coldwell Banker in Bellevue and continued to sell real estate there for 15 years. He also became active in the community in various volunteer capacities, serving on the Bellevue Planning Commission, the Fair Housing Council, and the Metro Transit Task Force. In addition, he raised funds for the American Cancer Society and contributed his time to Habitat for Humanity and the Sierra Club.
Peter Eckel, whose marriage had ended in divorce after 20 years, resettled in Laguna Niguel, CA, a few years later with his new partner, Shirley Gordon. After her death a decade later from breast cancer, he continued to reside in Laguna Niguel, south of Los Angeles. There he was a greeter at Costco Wholesale for several years.
Peter Eckel, a loyal alumnus, died on November 1, 2008, in Seattle, WA, at the home of one of his sons, after gallantly combating cancer. In addition to his former wife, he is survived by two daughters and three sons, Lisa Moses and Paul, Colleen, Shane, and Tyler Eckel, as well as five grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
Victor Irwin Maier, Jr. '56, "a creative media and advertising man with an over-the-top sense of humor," was born on July 8, 1934, in Milwaukee, WI. The elder son of Victor I., publisher of The Milwaukee Journal, and Lorraine Greve Maier, he prepared for college at Milwaukee Country Day School. He came East to Hamilton in 1952, already planning for a future career in advertising, and joined Delta Upsilon. However, he left the Hill for academic reasons after a year and subsequently served in the U.S. Army.
"Vic" Maier, who later attended Marquette University, found employment during his younger years with the Manchester Guardian in Britain, The Milwaukee Journal, and the St. Paul Pioneer Press. During the 1960s he worked for the Journal Co.'s subsidiary, Teltron Cable in Wausau, and WTMJ broadcasting in Milwaukee. Thereafter he was an account representative for advertising agencies in the Milwaukee area and also owned his own advertising agency, Maier, Richmond & Costello, for a time. Among his accounts was White Hen Pantry convenience stores, and for them he created the catchy jingle "When you run out, run out to White Hen."
During the 1980s Vic Maier and his wife Betsy relocated to Tucson, AZ, where they fell in love with the desert and enjoyed hiking in the mountains. Betsy's job as a health care administrator later took them to North Carolina, Idaho, and Oregon. They retired in 2006 to Alamos, Mexico, in the State of Sonoma, where Vic "embraced the culture of Mexico while still reveling in the successes of his hometown Milwaukee Brewers, Wisconsin Badgers, and Green Bay Packers." A lifelong dog-lover, he was engaged over the past two years in writing a memoir with the working title Dogs I Have Known.
Victor I. Maier, Jr. died in Tucson on April 24, 2009. In addition to his wife, he is survived by his former wife and close friend, Nancy Neff Maier. Also surviving are three sons, Charles, Peter, and Frederick Maier, and a stepdaughter and stepson, six grandchildren, and a sister and a brother.
Return to Top
Henry Belin Tinges, Jr. '56, who spent his working life in corporate sales, was born on July 9, 1934, to Henry B., a coal broker, and Ruth Geer Tinges, in Bethlehem, PA. "Hank" Tinges grew up in Bethlehem, where he was graduated from Liberty High School. He enrolled at Hamilton in 1952 and joined Theta Delta Chi, of which he became house steward. He also joined the varsity swimming team and earned letters in the sport as the team's top sprinter. Known for his broad smile and easy-going nature, he majored in political science and earned his diploma in 1956.
That year, Hank Tinges went on active duty with the U.S. Navy and was commissioned as an ensign. He served in uniform for more than four years, and among his assignments was executive officer aboard the gasoline tanker U.S.S. Nespelen. By the time of his release from active duty as a lieutenant, he had crossed the Atlantic countless times and twice been to Antarctica on missions to resupply U.S. bases there as part of "Operation Deep Freeze."
Back in civilian life, Hank Tinges went to work for Procter & Gamble in Cincinnati, OH, and became a crew supervisor in its field advertising department. He was subsequently a sales engineer with Clorox Co. in Boston, MA, and Texaco, Inc., in Providence, RI. On June 6, 1970, he and Jennifer Ann Murray, a teacher, were married in Hyannis, MA, and the couple took up residence in Newport, RI. He concluded his career as vice president of sales and part owner of Drew Oil Corp., a privately held wholesale distributor of petroleum products located in Cranston.
A warm-hearted but tireless, hard-driving executive for whom the word "retirement" was not in his vocabulary, Hank Tinges was also a fierce competitor at racquetball and an avid skier. A member of the Newport Yacht Club for 44 years, he enthusiastically sailed in the Newport-Bermuda yacht race as well.
Henry B. Tinges, Jr. was still residing in Newport when he died unexpectedly on February 11, 2009. A divorcé, he is survived by a daughter, Elizabeth S. Tinges, and a sister.
Return to Top
Roger Lee Prokop '57, whose spiritual journey led him from the Episcopal to the Roman Catholic priesthood, was born on May 17, 1935, in Oneonta, NY. A son of Stephen A., a school principal, and Jeannette Pitts Prokop, a librarian, he grew up in Elmira, NY, where he was graduated in 1953 from Elmira Free Academy. He entered Hamilton that fall, already committed to a religious calling and intent upon a future career as an Episcopal priest. He joined Chi Psi and, with a great interest both in music and writing, served for four years as piano accompanist for the Choir and contributed music critiques to The Spectator. He also served as president of the campus Anglican Society and Canterbury Club. A winner of the Winslow Prize in Greek, he combined an affable personality with a reflective and creative mind.
Following his graduation in 1957, having majored in English. Roger Prokop enrolled at the General Theological Seminary in New York City. He acquired his Bachelor of Sacred Theology degree in 1960 and was ordained an Episcopal priest that year. Assigned to St. Andrew's Church in Durhamville and Trinity in Canastota, he later served Grace Episcopal Church in White Plains, NY. By the mid-1960s, he was engaged in civil rights work in Mississippi as well as in Westchester County.
In 1968, the Rev. Roger Prokop, then at St. John's Episcopal Church in Troy, NY, turned from the parish ministry to academe by entering a master's program in teaching at Harvard University. After acquiring his M.A.T. degree in 1970, he joined the faculty of an Anglican seminary affiliated with the University of Saskatchewan in Canada. There he taught a variety of courses and served as dean of resident students. In 1976, he began a sabbatical at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, where he stayed on to pursue a Ph.D.
While supporting himself with a half-time appointment lecturing and doing research at the University's Institute of Gerontology and pastoral work at St. Clement, an African-American Epsicopal church in nearby Inkster, Father Prokop continued with his studies. In 1984, he was awarded his doctorate after submitting a dissertation reflecting his varied interests, entitled Literary Fiction for Sociology, Psychology and Gerontology: The Human Perspective Revealed.
In 1986, "after many years of prayer and reflection," Father Prokop decided to convert to Roman Catholicism. Following a few months of study at St. John's Provincial Seminary in Plymouth, MI, he was ordained a Catholic priest in 1987. Briefly an associate pastor at St. Casimir Church in Lansing, he became pastor of St. Andrew the Apostle Church in Saline, MI, and thereafter moved on in 1993 to a large parish of 7,500 souls, St. Thomas the Apostle, in Ann Arbor, near the University's campus. In the dozen years that followed, he was heavily engaged in building renovation and school construction projects, putting in 70-80 hours a week. But in those years he also found time to continue his academic interests by contributing articles to various journals.
Father Prokop, known for his warmth, generosity, and understanding, retired in contentment in 2005. He took up residence at the Oratory of St. Philip Neri in Rock Hill, SC, where he continued part-time to serve parishes in the Diocese of Charleston and celebrate weekday masses at the Oratory's five parishes. He was serving on the 50th Reunion committee of his Hamilton class in 2007 and planning to attend the event when he was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor on the brain. He died in Anderson, SC, on May 22, 2009, after a two-year battle.
The Rev. Roger L. Prokop is survived by a sister, Beverly Stillwell, and a brother, Bradford Prokop. He also leaves "many friends, brother priests, and parishioners to whom he dedicated his life in service and love."
Return to Top