OBTAINING A NY STATE NON-DRIVER PHOTO ID
- You can obtain a New York State Non-Driver Photo ID through the Department of Motor Vehicles located at 321 Main St, Utica, NY. The telephone number is (315) 798-5749.
- Your I-20 must have at least six months remaining. It must have been issued for more than one year.
- You must fill out a form MV-44.
- You must provide "proof of identity" totaling 4 points (explained below), plus a social security card (worth 2 pts., for a total of 6 pts). If you do not have a social security card, you must provide a letter from the Social Security Administration or form SSA-L676 explaining why you are ineligible for a social security card.
- Each document submitted must be an original or certified by the issuing agency. One must have your signature, and one must show your date of birth. In most cases, your passport will have your date of birth and signature, and that is sufficient for both purposes.
- Document point values are as follows:
- I-20 AND passport: 3 points (proves date of birth)
- Social Security card: 2 points
- U.S. College photo ID: 2 points
- Computer printed pay stub: 1 point
- U.S. health insurance card: 1 point
- W-2 with Social Security number: 1 point
- Bank statement OR Cancelled, preprinted check OR Signed ATM/Debit card OR Valid major US credit card: 1 point
Additional information about documents is available from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. In addition, ICE issued a July 2009 DMV Fact Sheet that, although not specific to New York State, provides many general answers to frequently asked questions.