Facebook pixel tracker


International students on campus may occasionally need some support in the areas of language, writing, cultural adjustment, or in specific subject areas that may present new challenges. Hamilton has a variety of resources for students who are seeking assistance.
It is important to note that it is not a sign of weakness to ask for support; rather, seeking help is seen as a wise choice in terms of getting problems taken care of before they become too large. American students avail themselves of many of these same resources and it is quite common in this culture. Some resources that can be of help are as follows:

English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)

The English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program provides classes for academic credit and one-on-one tutoring for students adjusting to doing academic work in a second (or third, or fourth) language. For more information, visit their website or contact Barbara Britt-Hysell .

Writing Center

The Writing Center offers assistance with research papers, essays and other compositions. Classes at Hamilton normally have a large writing component; the Writing Center offers one-on-one consultations so that students can present their best possible work.

Peer Tutoring Program and Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning Center

The Peer Tutoring Program and the Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning Center provide tutoring in specific subject areas. Students seeking help may request an upperclass tutor who has been hired as a "specialist" in a certain subject. Sessions are scheduled at the convenience of both students.


Librarians provide expert research assistance at the Information Desk, via email, phone, and by appointment. Librarians can help you develop a research strategy for locating relevant information on your topic, find quality answers to your research questions, locate books, eBooks, and other library materials, select, evaluate, and cite authoritative information sources, and create a successful research project.

International Friendship Program

The International Friendship Program (IFP) connects incoming students with families or individuals in the Clinton community. Generally, IFP families will meet students at an opening cookout and plan occasional activities such as a dinner in their home, trips to local attractions, or holiday gatherings. This can be an important cultural connection for international students and a source of support in the community.

Counseling Center

The Counseling Center can help with issues of cultural adjustment, social or relationship problems, feelings of homesickness and other things that can come up for international students. Coming to the U.S. is often a huge step for students, and finding a place to share feelings and ask questions can be vitally important.

Additional Resources

In addition to the above, students should seek out their Resident Advisors (RAs), academic advisors and professors. RAs are upperclass students who oversee the residence halls. They can help with informational issues, roommate conflicts and the like, and are always happy to lend an ear Academic advisors are assigned to each incoming student who should be available for consultations about matters related to classes and scheduling when needed. Professors are wonderful resources, hold regular office hours and should be available for individual appointments. This is the best way to get to know a professor, ask questions and discuss important issues related to the subject matter.

Contact Information

Allen Harrison

Assistant Dean for International Students and Accessibility
Elihu Root House
Back to Top