Support Staff Job Opportunities
Accounts Payable Specialist
Hamilton is one of the nation's top liberal arts colleges. It is independent, highly selective, coeducational and residential. Originally founded in 1793 as the Hamilton-Oneida Academy, Hamilton is today composed of 1,850 diverse and talented students from nearly all of the 50 states and approximately 40 countries. More information can be found at www.hamilton.edu/about.
Responsible for processing accounts payable vendor invoices of approximately 18,000 checks per year, weekly accounts payable check runs, generating manual checks as needed, ongoing monitoring of duplicate vendor records, performing various expense analysis, communicating verbally and in writing with various individuals both on and off campus, assisting with unclaimed property filings, and other duties as required. This position reports to the Payroll and Accounts Payable Manager.
- Utilizes Accounts Payable software to prepare weekly accounts payable checks for all vendor payables, employee advances, reimbursements, student refunds, off campus disbursements, and other related items. Sets up vendor files with remittance address, tax ID number, W-9, and type of payment. Prepares invoices for payment, establish type of payment, and correct vendor #. Verifies authorized signatures, correct budget line numbers, discounts, absence of sales tax, appropriate documentation and supporting backup. Performs follow-up with the department on any missing information (e.g. approvals, receipts, budget lines, etc.). Enters invoices and vouchers in the accounts payable software including vendor #, type and amount of payment, pay date and correct general ledger account number.
- Reviews invoices and contacts vendors for refunds in new credit situations. Responds to vendor requests for information including invoice inquiry of paid items, payment schedules of open invoices, statement research, etc. Receives checks for overpayments, notes appropriate budget line numbers and forwards to cashier.
- Inputs manual checks and wires including quarterly unitrust payments, bond wire transfers, ACH transfers, some physical plant invoices and monthly retirement payments. Void, stop pay, and reissue checks as needed.
- Proofs computer input by printing daily voucher register and checking for correct payee, dates, account number and dollar amounts. Performs quality assurance review of co-worker’s daily voucher registers.
- Enters totals from the voucher registers in the weekly cash disbursement total sheet. Verifies totals from the weekly cash disbursement total sheet to the weekly check selection/print report.
- Matches printed checks to invoices, obtains appropriate signatures and distributes checks on time, noting special handling, remittance, and mailing instructions.
- Prepares and maintains utility spreadsheet of invoices for payment by location and budget line. Prepares utility journal entry to allocate main bills to various budget lines.
- Maintains duplicate vendor list in excel, noting valid vendor number and duplicate vendor number; works with Information Technology Services to generate report.
- Creates and transfers ftp file to the Bank for positive pay services.
- Assists with unclaimed property filings.
- Performs research as requested by various members of the college community regarding when invoices were paid, payment authorizations, check numbers, etc.
- Sorts incoming mail for Business Office approvals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Associate’s degree in accounting or related field preferred and two to three years experience in accounts payable. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Proficiency in use of desktop software and spreadsheet applications preferred.
Candidate should be detail oriented, with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines, possess a strong customer service orientation, the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all campus constituencies, and the willingness to work as part of a team.
Please review Hamilton's Benefits Summary for more information.
Interested applicants should send a resume, letter of interest and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Hamilton College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and encourages diversity in all areas of the campus community.Posted 10/23/2012